Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Dog Friday posted:

Is there anyone that outright supports this action? Xi was far more upfront that usual this time about their dislike of this course of action.

Myanmar and basically everybody who doesn't like free elections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

I have it on good authority that Trump is mentally retarded though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Doublepost

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 25, 2022

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Nenonen posted:

Molotov coctails seem a little... suicidal/ineffective. This isn't 1939, tanks are better protected now. Good way to torch abandoned enemy vehicles and prevent their recapture, though.

this assumes tank fighting in an urban environment goes entirely by the book, the book that gets thrown out as soon as soon as actual fighting begins

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

ranbo das posted:

Tanks need to pull in air from somewhere for the crew to breathe and it can't be on the underside (dust and mud from normal operations can block them), which does result in certain places that a sustained fire will make the crew have a bad time.

This usually isn't an issue because tanks are supported by ground infantry and you have to be close to use one, but the Russians haven't been disciplined in this so far.

Also a sheet of fire obscures optics and thermals pretty well

Also the optics have coatings that fire will absolutely mess up.

And tank hatches are sealed with rubber. That stuff melts/burns and burning fuel will drip through the tiniest of openings.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

KitConstantine posted:

Statement on CNN from former Ukranian President Poroshenko in Kyiv. You can tell he's emotional

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=nSm9oXSJDnpkmK54y4M30w&s=19

It seems it's now become an existential battle as well for a lot of Ukranians. Not a great sign for an easy occupation

I don't think he has a current government job, but he has a net worth of $1.5 billion (he owns chocolate manufacturing). I figured he'd fled by now. Seeing him still in Ukraine is impressive.

If he's serious about taking up a weapon, that's pretty crazy. I wonder if a billionaire has ever killed an enemy combatant in a war before.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm sorry I didn't realize the law of thermodynamics ended in 1939. Tank still gets hot if it's in flames. And your air supply becomes a little dicey with smoke.
Seeing as most likely the air filters in the tanks are missing/sold

it's useful if you can get the flaming stuff on to the tank. getting the flaming stuff on to the tank has gotten a lot harder since 1939.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

KitConstantine posted:

Statement on CNN from former Ukranian President Poroshenko in Kyiv. You can tell he's emotional

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1497189957395488778?t=nSm9oXSJDnpkmK54y4M30w&s=19

It seems it's now become an existential battle as well for a lot of Ukranians. Not a great sign for an easy occupation

This is a crazy clip, thanks for sharing. He is referring to Kyiv territorial defense, it must be one of his assistants that is directly posting on their Twitter, the image of the NLAWs

Props to CNN for making that conversation happen also, otherwise CNN is trash, as usual they are shining in wartime.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Peanut Butler posted:

this assumes tank fighting in an urban environment goes entirely by the book, the book that gets thrown out as soon as soon as actual fighting begins

Tanks never do well in urban areas.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

Apparently some gopniks in Kyiv stole a Russian BTR, beat up the crew and went on a little joyride before handing it over to the local forces :laffo:

https://twitter.com/zynicism/status/1497179475473223682?s=20&t=cJqVaEfFWA15bwZsOS8tRw

This is an absolute pro-click if you can read Russian.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm honestly surprised NATO hasn't used the "PMCs" trick Russia uses to be sneaky

Just say Ukraine hired a bunch of PMC's that just so happen to be American and French nationals and have equipment, nothing wierd about that :shrug:

I dont for a second believe you're surprised by this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Inner Light posted:

In video games, I have seen MTB LAW units are reloadable. IRL though, it seems these entire things just work once then you cannot reload them, right?

It is a one-shot weapon. The launcher is disposable.

Tank stuff: Those tank traps won't stop a modern main battle tank. If partially-buried, they may be able to stop a BTR or other wheeled vehicle, which typically have less torque to push through obstacles. Molotovs won't disable armored vehicles but can still be useful: they'll destroy gear--including ammunition--stored on the outside, can blind optics, and prevent the passengers (including infantry passengers) and crew from exiting. It's also a focused illumination source at night: i.e. it will let people with rocket launchers but without low-light/thermal optics see the target from cover.

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008
RE: unlikely people turning against Russia/Putin the absolute... Obvious "War of Aggression" character of this whole thing has made strange bedfellows of all this. I saw posts circulating of Anarchists protesting the Russian Consulate General in north Seattle a few days ago, I'm curious who else showed up. This is the type of poo poo that pisses off everyone, Putin's giving NATO free propagandic real estate and doing work that the US or its allies could never do alone. I'm sure the Biden camp is pleased.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

William Bear posted:

I don't think he has a current government job, but he has a net worth of $1.5 billion (he owns chocolate manufacturing). I figured he'd fled by now. Seeing him still in Ukraine is impressive.

If he's serious about taking up a weapon, that's pretty crazy. I wonder if a billionaire has ever killed an enemy combatant in a war before.

Imagine GW Bush or any other ex POTUS grabbing an AR15 and defending the country.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

William Bear posted:

There were other posts going around about a Ukrainian millionaire who's staying and fighting but I forgot his name.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TheRat posted:

I dont for a second believe you're surprised by this.

Sounds like a quick way to draw USA into this. No thanks Jose.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Haven't seen this posted here yet, but it looks like NATO is gearing up.

https://twitter.com/axios/status/1497280435612758017

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms:
Car narrowly evading not being blown up by MRLS fire in a generic residential area
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1497268652361478146

How is that weapon useful for anything other than terrorizing a large area of civilians?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I'm sorry I didn't realize the law of thermodynamics ended in 1939. Tank still gets hot if it's in flames. And your air supply becomes a little dicey with smoke.

Tanks--even Russian tanks--are big, and have a lot of metal. A few kilograms of alcohol lit on fire won't generate enough heat to make a meaningful difference on the inside. Russian vehicles are designed for NBC environments; their filters will generally handle smoke just fine. What can happen with a little luck is if you can get some enflamed material into the filter. The filters themselves can catch on fire, and that smoke can be very toxic depending on what the filter is made of. US tanks used to have filters with Chromium-6 in them (the same poo poo in the movie Eric Brokovich), though those were replaced over 20 years ago. I don't know what filters Russian vehicles use, though I doubt they were "sold". Who would one sell them too? It's not like a BTR-80's NBC filter fits into your home heating system.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

KillHour posted:

Imagine GW Bush or any other ex POTUS grabbing an AR15 and defending the country.
GW Bush pops his head out the hatch of a tank. "Now watch this drive."

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

MadJackal posted:

How is that weapon useful for anything other than terrorizing a large area of civilians?

Theoretically it is meant to counter a massed infantry attack through the Fulda Gap.

But: yeah basically.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:nms:
Car narrowly evading not being blown up by MRLS fire in a generic residential area
https://twitter.com/OAlexanderDK/status/1497268652361478146

I grabbed the first google hit in English, since I was too lazy to scroll back in the thread to journalist tweets where I got that first.

Is that really MLRS though? Why are the explosions so tiny, like tinier than 1 frag grenade each?

Seems like a strange ineffective weapon.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 25, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

This is just fantasy. A bottle of gasoline isn't going to heat up a massive slab of steel significantly, and you have no basis to say that active warzone tanks have no air filters because some russian sold them all.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

*reads title* Wait they're not joining in are they??
*goes off to read article*

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

KillHour posted:

I can 10000% see Teddy Roosevelt throwing Molotov cocktails at Russian tanks from an apartment window.

Also: I can't imagine how much more stressful this would be if Trump was president and tweeting the whole thing. I'd probably die.

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Lampsacus posted:

GW Bush pops his head out the hatch of a tank. "Now watch this drive."

Dukakis is still alive...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

MadJackal posted:

It would absolutely gently caress up any readying deployment or advancing troop front if you got one in range.

You saw those photos of 150 helicopters on the road? Imagine one MLRS Salvo going off on them.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Shooting Blanks posted:

NATO sure seems to be doing a lot of troop movements right now onto the border.

Is this just a show of force to Putin? Just a tripwire if he decides to get antsy and go after Poland or something?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Inner Light posted:

Is that really MRLS though? Why are the explosions so tiny, like tinier than 1 frag grenade each?

The US MLRS rocket launchers primarily fire rockets that contain several hundred small submunitions, I presume the same is true of the Russian systems.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Inner Light posted:

Is that really MRLS though? Why are the explosions so tiny, like tinier than 1 frag grenade each?

I've been wondering this too, it looks more to me like what I would expect mortar fire to be. I have no combat experience at all (that god), but don't MLRSs shoot massive tree-trunk sized rockets?

Edit: OK yeah cluster munitions makes more sense.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

External Organs posted:

I can 10000% see Teddy Roosevelt throwing Molotov cocktails at Russian tanks from an apartment window.

Also: I can't imagine how much more stressful this would be if Trump was president and tweeting the whole thing. I'd probably die.
If Trump was president we would not be in NATO and Trump would be talking about how this is awesome and cool. He might be sending Putin aid!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

MadJackal posted:

It's useful for targeting large areas with soft targets: headquarters units; communications vehicles; supply trucks; infantry in the open. That sort of thing. They can destroy many lightly-armored vehicles such as older APCs, but are unlikely to take out main battle tanks. Even then, they can damage optics, break tracks, knock off an antenna, and otherwise degrade heavy armor.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Inner Light posted:

In video games, I have seen MTB LAW units are reloadable. IRL though, it seems these entire things just work once then you cannot reload them, right?

A lot of people are saying their disposable like a AT4.

They're semi-disposable: the Javelin consist of a preloaded launch tube and a Command Launch Unit (CLU), a set of sights and launcher controls. When fired, the tube is disposed of but CLU comes off and a new launch tube is attached.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pookah posted:

I've been following this here and just for contrast, on an Irish messageboard which has a... reputation for tolerating racist/bigoted/far right/xenophobic members. They regularly parrot all the usual far right talking points.
Anyway, the weird and interesting thing is that even there, the consensus is that Putin is totally in the wrong and Ukraine should be supported.
The posters who'd usually be cheerleading him as a strong force against WOKE are almost entirely opposed to this current action. They occasionally mutter about how NATO is somehow at fault, but it is very half-hearted.
Seems like Putin has, so far, completely lost the propaganda war outside a very small bubble.

A few hundred years of oppression moulds the mind into recognizing it elsewhere.
Ireland can be as bigoted and hosed up as everyone else, but still can see through the bullshit of evil.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Inner Light posted:

Cluster submunitions.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

External Organs posted:

The Ghost of Kiev is actually the ghost of Andrew Jackson

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

Given how far inside the Russian offensive plans the US has been, this is ominous to say the least.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

TulliusCicero posted:

NATO sure seems to be doing a lot of troop movements right now onto the border.

Is this just a show of force to Putin? Just a tripwire if he decides to get antsy and go after Poland or something?

Specifically commanded by this dude: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_D._Wolters

Interesting development, we'll see if it's a nothing burger.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

William Bear posted:

In the full interview he shows off the rifle he is carrying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Inner Light posted:

Cluster bomblets. Just spray an area with 5 launchers x 12 cargo missiles x 100 each bomblet in a missile and they have their use