Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

pretty sure gina also has an option somewhere to auto-archive the log file when it gets too big which fixes the problem. can gently caress with damage parses if you use those tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Indecisive posted:

pretty sure gina also has an option somewhere to auto-archive the log file when it gets too big which fixes the problem. can gently caress with damage parses if you use those tho

Just set it to clear weekly at like 4am or whenever you will never be parsing damage at a raid.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Solarin posted:

Big AoC change in the next patch removing replay timers. Server crashes screwing you out of your weekly instance should no longer be a thing. Probably will be super abusable (at the least it will make fishing for rares in DZ much easier) but still should be a positive change.

Follow up to this change: they added 30 minute replay timers on pulling instances and also apparently finally got around to nerfing DZ xp into nothingness. Just a heads up for people planing to play on the next servers.

At least I got to abuse the lack of replay timers to fish hate DZs for eerie chests and got two Shield of the Immaculate. Fishing for nameds should still be doable but a lot slower. The xp nerf sucks. Doing dungeon crawls in non respawning DZs for a little xp and loot was fun.

e: devs claim they didn't make a change so maybe it's actually a bug. Maybe the state of experience in DZs will always be shrouded in mystery and confusion

Solarin fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 24, 2022

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I would love for the dz exp to come back, it’s a lot of fun to dungeon crawl and murder everything at my own pace. Ever since you posted the names cycle strategy it has been a go-to whenever I’m playing on a TLP, so I’m going to be doing a hell of a lot of fishing for a fungi spawn come Seb.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
DZ xp was so nice when you didn't want to stress about having your camp invaded or knew you'd need to stop for a few minutes to take a call, or make dinner or something.

That's a meaningfull loss for the players and it's unlikely to generate the sort of social interactions I think they were going for.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

koreban posted:

DZ xp was so nice when you didn't want to stress about having your camp invaded or knew you'd need to stop for a few minutes to take a call, or make dinner or something.

That's a meaningfull loss for the players and it's unlikely to generate the sort of social interactions I think they were going for.

This sounds unrealistic. Mobs didn’t even respawn in DZs so was anyone actually exping in them or trying to “hold a camp”? Makes no sense.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

rally posted:

This sounds unrealistic. Mobs didn’t even respawn in DZs so was anyone actually exping in them or trying to “hold a camp”? Makes no sense.

I think he was saying you could leisurely exp in a DZ specifically because you didn't have to hold a camp or worry about respawns.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

rally posted:

The point was more that you could clear the zone, respawn the zone, and get more XP. There might be some extra steps, but this was the goal (private zones so you can xp with out people messing with you).

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

yea its like... they took away replay timers that prevent people from respawning dog zones and then.. took away the entire reason you might want to respawn a dog zone

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

rally posted:

Past couple replies in this thread were saying we literally did this. So yeah it’s a thing people do lol

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrSargent posted:

I think he was saying you could leisurely exp in a DZ specifically because you didn't have to hold a camp or worry about respawns.

Exactly this.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

What is a dz?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Dynamic zone. A private zone that the game boots up for your own group/guild.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Oh, so like an instance?

Sorry, I am new to EQ. A friend got me into it.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh, so like an instance?

Sorry, I am new to EQ. A friend got me into it.

Yes. For background original EQ did not have instanced zones/raids. They appear at some point in eq’s development and then added to older content as a quality of life improvement, first on TLPs and eventually on live.

I feel like old DZs vs later DZs have different xp rules, spefically the AOC DZs vs the later ones. The instances in Gates of Discord and onward seem to have decent xp. LDoNs though not AOC seem bad on xp front. Other AOC DZs always felt suboptimal though basically fine given that you don’t have to deal with other players.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yiggy posted:

Yes. For background original EQ did not have instanced zones/raids. They appear at some point in eq’s development and then added to older content as a quality of life improvement, first on TLPs and eventually on live.

It was Plane of Time B. After the rathe roadblock was removed, the drama of guilds fighting to get into TimeB was heated. Some guilds would leave people in the, then, open world zone just to block competing guilds from being able to zone in a raid force to attempt bosses.

They instanced it with the DZ system that was in development because the LDoN adventure/beta DZ system was going, but wasn’t going to be robust enough to manage it. GoD started DZ as an official system developed for expansions going forward until it was replaced by DoN’s mission system.

quote:

I feel like old DZs vs later DZs have different xp rules, spefically the AOC DZs vs the later ones. The instances in Gates of Discord and onward seem to have decent xp. LDoNs though not AOC seem bad on xp front. Other AOC DZs always felt suboptimal though basically fine given that you don’t have to deal with other players.

:ms:

The aggressive actions of some of the more egregious TLP regulars with kill stealing, pulling names across zones to kill them, starving people of kills out of camps, etc. is pretty widespread. Sometimes it’s fun to PVE arena other groups, but other times you just don’t want to deal with the bullshit and an entire zone’s worth of mobs is enough XP to burn a lesson or you can grab some AAs on the way to a named you want without worrying about rushing it.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I started playing a bit on the Mischief TLP to scratch the EQ itch before the new TLP's come out in May. Its definitely not the same, but is helping pass the time a bit. Some guy was kind enough to send me a bunch of starter gear for my monk which has helped. I would normally box but didn't want to pay the money for two accounts until the new servers come out so have just been soloing. May can't come soon enough.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

So have they announced what the next TLP ruleset is going to be? I hope it has mischief style loot or at least everything droppable enabled.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

We will likely be finding out end of April, they generally do a months notice and launch around Memorial Day or at least that’s what the list may release was iirc.

Also random side note but if anyone is a 40-slot bag fan and haven’t bought the packs for the last TLPs, you still have time to buy now and claim on the new servers, giving you the chance to buy those next promotion bags if you really really hate encumbrance, or money.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Decided to start camping for monk epic. Get to Rathe mountains to start a Brother Zeph camp and what do I find but a druid already there. While I am talking to them about how long they have been camping, he shows up and the druid nukes him down. He drops the robe of course. Turns out the druid had been camping it off and on for 5 days and I was just the good luck charm they needed.

Here is hoping that I get lucky again.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

lol that rules

godspeed with that monk epic, that quest is brutal

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Robe got, on to Chardok since pawbuster was already camped.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

drat that’s a pretty decent turnaround, grats and keep it up!

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Zil posted:

That, uhhh, that was fast.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Zil posted:

It might be almost as quick to keep popping KC DZ's and taking the 30 minute lock-out for KC when Pawbuster isn't up on zone in.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Malt posted:

It might be almost as quick to keep popping KC DZ's and taking the 30 minute lock-out for KC when Pawbuster isn't up on zone in.

This is probably the best way to do it. I think this was how I rushed the last or second to last pawbuster I did on aradune.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I was going to say that just questing for the robe wasn't so bad but I remembered that I bought the purple sash from somebody for it. Also I did it after they changed Raster's spawn rate from 2% to 10%. Must have been rough before that change

I did appreciate how drat easy all the fights were in the final sequence. Especially with that stupid strong iksar guard you can charm in Lake of Ill Omen. Certain guards just have an insane damage output and movement speed to discourage people farming them and I think he's one of them

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Solarin posted:

I was going to say that just questing for the robe wasn't so bad but I remembered that I bought the purple sash from somebody for it. Also I did it after they changed Raster's spawn rate from 2% to 10%. Must have been rough before that change

I did appreciate how drat easy all the fights were in the final sequence. Especially with that stupid strong iksar guard you can charm in Lake of Ill Omen. Certain guards just have an insane damage output and movement speed to discourage people farming them and I think he's one of them

I did probably 8 monk epics on aradune. Once you've got robes and pipes it's maybe 2-3 hours of work that can mostly be done with healer, monk, tank.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Solarin posted:

People quit the game because of this quest, the dude at 2% could simply not spawn for months and with no picks or way to force a zone refresh and a 30 min spawn timer. Probability alone says at 2% he has only a 62% chance to spawn a day BUT law of big numbers also says each roll is unique so weeks of camping can easily happen.

God I hate video game designers who don't get probability and refuse to install some kind of bad luck mechanism.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

i camped him once, back on live when i assume it was still 2%. my luck was pretty good, got him same day, but i still made sure to get like 6 screenshots of me kicking his rear end because i heard how rough it could be

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I've probably posted it in this thread, probably more than once, but i definitely remember camping raster for 90 hours in like 2000, giving up and switching to bard

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah I had done the Raster camp on and off for a few weeks back in 2001-2002, this time since I was on a new server with a heroic character I just farmed the brothers instead. Even for being supposed guild masters they went down pretty easy against a level 85.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

I did the monk epic for the first time on the Mangler server and it was definitely a grind. Luckily at that time I was working from home and so I could post up at the various camps with my Monk / Sham duo and just kill PH's all day. The worst part was only a couple weeks after I got my epic I had to quit playing due to RL poo poo so I barely even got to enjoy it.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007
I've gotten epics on 3 of my monks and I have never once seen Raster. I've put plenty of hours into his camp, just never, ever seen him. It always comes down to beating up a Brother for the robe. This is usually done within a few hours.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I did probably 8 monk epics on aradune. Once you've got robes and pipes it's maybe 2-3 hours of work that can mostly be done with healer, monk, tank.

Well yeah but isn't the robes and pipes the most time consuming part?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Apparition posted:

Well yeah but isn't the robes and pipes the most time consuming part?

Yeah, exactly. After those parts, the remaining half a dozen parts are easy, provided you have a porter.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Been messing around with getting my setup ready for May launch. Happy to say HotKeyNet still works, you just have to find a copy you already had downloaded because the owner killed the website. WayBack is helpful for the guides: https://web.archive.org/web/20200809105945/http://www.hotkeynet.com/ref/functions.html

Looks like multiplicity works.. but i'm getting awful latency intermittently, but this might just be lovely wifi issues, and https://joelpurra.com/projects/X-Mouse_Controls/ is the fix for the mouse click being replicated on the main PC while on a KVM.. but it fundamentally changes how your cursor works and makes it snap to windows opening / closing, so it's a 'toggle on/off for EQ' kind of fix.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

When I last played on a TLP, I two-boxed using two laptops but did everything manually using the keyboard/mouse for each. It definitely wasn't the most efficient, but it worked. I don't have any programs like HotKeyNet, is there something I should look into to make it a bit easier on myself?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TNzDSiZMOw2mFwOPs7dkz32v0Jv_LcMC?usp=sharing here's a google drive download of it-- i included my default basic script which reads like what i pasted below as an example. In this setup, when you push Ctrl 1 it would transmit 1 to the computer defined as 'srf'. The important trick when using HKN on a *truebox* server is you cannot have it transmit the same key as you push. So instead of Ctrl 1 sending Ctrl 1, it has to send any other keypress. HKN is useful at telling you the exact name of the key you press as well, so it is friendly at being setup for whatever mouse button binding you have.

quote:

<Label apc local SendWin EverQuest> // define what IP is named what for later use of SendLabel
<Label srf 10.0.0.218 SendWin EverQuest>
<Label jmp 10.0.0.88 SendWin EverQuest>

// follow macro example, have follow macro on slot 5 & 6 for srf/jmp
<Hotkey shift F>
<SendLabel srf>
<Key 5>
<SendLabel jmp>
<Key 6>

// ctrl -> numbers to srf, basic hotbar use without switching clients, repeat as needed.
<Hotkey ctrl 1>
<SendLabel srf>
<Key 1>
<Hotkey ctrl 2>
<SendLabel srf>
<Key 2>
to use it just install HKN on each computer, do connection settings and designate your main PC as the server, and you're ready to setup your own hotkey bindings. If you want to *also* have the button happen on your main PC, you need to add a <Passthrough> line under the hotkey. Note that any key you setup as a Hotkey becomes non-usable without <Passthrough> so don't go crazy with using letter keys as hotkeys without a ctrl or alt modifier. Which i'm noticing I used for the follow macro example and yeah don't do that or else you cannot type F in chat, but will instead force all your characters to run the follow macro you setup on those buttons!

This covers just hotkeys and buttons presses (but honestly just having a follow macro button to wrangle ALL your clients at once is, life changing) if you wanted to say, use a single mouse/keyboard across both computers and emulate them being the same computer, I like Multiplicity for that, but there are other free options. I just didn't have as much success with them vs the paid option.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I may have missed it in the thread - has there been any announcement about what this year's TLP or unique rules server will be?