Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

mmkay posted:

Yea, I have the download link in history and it's still up (also got the file). It's some accounts and passwords from Russia's MOD (some passwords feel like they were made up by a 12 year old - 'asasin2014') .

I wish Anonymous went after FSB

Would be interesting to see the extent of troll farms and what accounts are active members of it

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

thank you, that's good information.

sounds kinda like the NATO Member Action Plan (tm) takes too loving long, imho

Viktor Yanukovych was a Russian stooge installed by Russia (and currently living in Russia) in order to stop Ukraine from joining NATO, so seems to me like NATO got outsmarted on that one pretty clearly. essentially every attempt to join NATO has been effectively stymied by Putin for years and years now

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/humeyra_pamuk/status/1497322411020197888

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Point was that Jens Stoltenberg talking about a cyber attack possibly invoking art.5 doesn't have to mean massing tanks around Kaliningrad, it just means that the allies will work together to respond. Probably it would mean increasing their cyber warfare capabilities but other options aren't explicitly barred. And that seems wise, warfare has changed a lot from the 1950's.

Also a point he made was that NATO never defined the level cyber attacks need to meet before art.5 is invoked to not encourage them at a rate just below it.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Play posted:

NATO should've brought in Ukraine a while back, before troops were ever massing at the border. Easier to say in retrospect but was the only thing preventing that not wanting to make Russia mad? Or were there other reasons?

There are probably good logistical and practical reasons why this isn't possible but how about instead of freezing his assets, just straight up loving take them.

NATO was never going to accept Ukraine.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

But doesn't this article imply that Stoltenburg might as well have said "If and/or when Putin cyber-attacks us ww3 is starting"? The 'Article 5' clause struck me

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1497309173498875907?s=20&t=YS6TkflgDk8fleHFx0mtuQ
Am I going crazy?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Grouchio posted:

What's different about this declaration against cyber-attacks from Russia from the ones Russia has done in the past when Ukraine wasn't getting invaded? Isn't this going to lead to war when Putin goes through with cyberattacks anyway??
There's a spectrum of cyber-attacks, just like there are physical. If Russia started doing poo poo that'd normally be achieved through bombings, like disabling critical infrastructure, then that's really no less of an attack than doing it with physical saboteurs.

Grouchio posted:

But doesn't this article imply that Stoltenburg might as well have said "If and/or when Putin cyber-attacks us ww3 is starting"? The 'Article 5' clause struck me

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1497309173498875907?s=20&t=YS6TkflgDk8fleHFx0mtuQ
Am I going crazy?
Like someone else already said, Article 5 just means NATO starts considering the appropriate response. Just like a Russian soldier shooting a Polish one across the Ukrainian border wouldn't have the same response as Moscow lobbing a nuke at Warsaw.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
As a Russian with property in moscow I am loving livid this is happening.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Grouchio posted:

Am I going crazy?

If Russia does cyberattacks against allies which cause damage equal to conventional kinetic attacks they will be treated as attacks. Not really surprising or news.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grouchio posted:

Am I going crazy?

No, its just a warning shot across Russias bow after their, frankly, aggressive tones towards Finland and Sweden to name a few.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Recorded yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezhZY0FZDOg Ed Nash & Prof. Alaric Searle discussing the Russian Invasion of Ukraine, 34min run time.

It's probably a bit out of date regarding todays events but it gives some background on Putin and his ideas/methodology.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Just received this, thanks wizzair!

Also I realized the apartment I'm renting is owned by some Russian guy who I've never seen. I considered stopping paying for it but he'd probably rent it out for more after I get kicked out so I'm not sure about it. And maybe if all Russian assets are seized eventually...

Play posted:

thank you, that's good information.

sounds kinda like the NATO Member Action Plan (tm) takes too loving long, imho

Viktor Yanukovych was a Russian stooge installed by Russia (and currently living in Russia) in order to stop Ukraine from joining NATO, so seems to me like NATO got outsmarted on that one pretty clearly. essentially every attempt to join NATO has been effectively stymied by Putin for years and years now
I don't know if it's "outsmarted" when they are just ready to invade and kill Ukrainians to prevent it from happening.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Zelensky eeking out of this with Minsk two would be the most Pyrrhic victory in Russian history

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Preoptopus posted:

As a Russian with property in moscow I am loving livid this is happening.

do you live there full time / are you there now?

Some actual anecdotes about what's going on in your sliver of things would be great, since all we are getting is stuff on twitter that's clearly being pushed one way or another.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Am I going crazy?

NATO and Russia have been cybering each other every hour of every day for ages. Stoltenberg is just banging his chest a bit.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I really hope that whatever happens in terms of peace and ceasefire, sanctions are held in place for a long-rear end time. Eat your poo poo, Putin.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

TheRat posted:

NATO and Russia have been cybering each other every hour of every day for ages. Stoltenberg is just banging his chest a bit.

there has definitely been a significant uptick on targeted attacks on major US companies in the past few days

I have two friends in infosec for fintech / f500s that have been sending me totally insane poo poo late at night

they both think the Biden admin is massively downplaying this, fwiw. In one case this is a household name that's had to airgap critical systems and lost days of effective work already.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

piL posted:

I have a loose understanding of this, but that loose understanding entails that Ukraine's leadership vassalated back and forth unable to commit to the NATO process. Diplomatic military and economic pressure from their neighbor to the east probably made commitments to getting that started rather difficult for any leader with polonium sensitivity.

Post-2014 they beelined that, but 2014 happened because Putin bossed Yanukovych to blow up a popular deal with EU. The relationship between the two was that of subservience - just not as overt one as in, e.g., Belarus.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

TheRat posted:

NATO cybers with Russians too?!?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

NATO cybers with Russians too?!?

if you think you're doing the sexy kind of cyber with a Russian, 10:1 it's actually a romanian, hth

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Cabbages and Kings posted:

there has definitely been a significant uptick on targeted attacks on major US companies in the past few days

I have two friends in infosec for fintech / f500s that have been sending me totally insane poo poo late at night

they both think the Biden admin is massively downplaying this, fwiw. In one case this is a household name that's had to airgap critical systems and lost days of effective work already.

Well define what these cyberattacks are. There's a difference between someone ddosing your frontend and someone actually having access to your databases and wiping it or some ransomware thing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Again, for the new page: They frequently move these launchers, that was the design. They move them to ensure they cannot be spotted. Normal thing for these launchers.

I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with this. The materiel movements before the invasion was very much done in the public eye in order to make sure the world knew. I'm sure they could move these launchers in more surreptitious ways if the wanted to, but I think they wanted it to be seen, even if the final destination is kept secret.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Play posted:

I want someone to ask Putin what the hell is going on with his freaky inflated head. I swear he didn't look like that just a year ago. I'm a putin head truther, it must be connected somehow

The Ukrainian nurse I met a few days ago had quite a lot to say about him being pumped full of botox.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Wait, consent to what amounted to unconditional surrender? Is there some other proposal on the table at this time?

Consent to have a dialogue.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

FishBulbia posted:

Zelensky eeking out of this with Minsk two would be the most Pyrrhic victory in Russian history

Yeah, and it ain't happening. I'm betting the best case outcome here is a soft version of the Balkanization plan; Russia gets to do whatever the gently caress it wants in Donbas and gets a "demilitarized zone" next to it with Russian security forces who will gradually turn up the pressure on any anti-Russian sentiment until they eventually hold a referendum and 101% of East Ukraine votes to secede. Even with sanctions, I don't think Russia has a lot of incentive to back down very far.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

if you think you're doing the sexy kind of cyber with a Russian, 10:1 it's actually a romanian, hth

I see this is what they’re bringing to the alliance

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Well define what these cyberattacks are. There's a difference between someone ddosing your frontend and someone actually having access to your databases and wiping it or some ransomware thing.

Sure, without giving too much info, in one case an f500's SSO provider (which is, again, a household name) was compromised and they literally had hackers showing up in zoom calls and slack channels with developer-or-better privileges

that is not normal lol. also one has to assume that whatever was stolen or seriously hosed happened before they started trolling corp socmedia.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BigglesSWE posted:

I really hope that whatever happens in terms of peace and ceasefire, sanctions are held in place for a long-rear end time. Eat your poo poo, Putin.

At this point, Putin's terms for a ceasefire will be identical to his terms before the invasion. Zelensky will tell him to gently caress off and that will be the end of it.

This is all about Ukraine being seen as reasonable and cooperative, and keeping international opinion on their side.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Charlotte Hornets posted:

Or more interestingly getting access to the grid monitoring systems and flipping the power off for north eastern North America like it's the summer of 2003.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

This is still building, no Iskanders used yet have they?

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Warmachine posted:

Or more interestingly getting access to the grid monitoring systems and flipping the power off for north eastern North America like it's the summer of 2003.

If something like this happened and could be definitively linked to a state power I believe that would be treated as an act of war. Iran certainly felt that way about stuxnet.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

A Buttery Pastry posted:

There's a spectrum of cyber-attacks, just like there are physical. If Russia started doing poo poo that'd normally be achieved through bombings, like disabling critical infrastructure, then that's really no less of an attack than doing it with physical saboteurs.

Think of the ransomware attack last year that shut down the one gas pipeline. It was some hackers going after businesses that hit something a little too critical, but even there they only hit billing systems rather than anything connected to the security of the pipeline itself. Shipments only stopped because the bean counters wouldn't have been able to bill them accurately. The US would have played it differently if it was damage to the hard infrastructure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Ola posted:

I didn't mean to sound like I was disagreeing with this. The materiel movements before the invasion was very much done in the public eye in order to make sure the world knew. I'm sure they could move these launchers in more surreptitious ways if the wanted to, but I think they wanted it to be seen, even if the final destination is kept secret.

Oh no, I wasn't calling you out: The thread moves fast just wanted people aware.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Looks like south front is still the week spot.

Flat open terrain with highways. Perfect for Soviet mil doctrine

https://twitter.com/KofmanMichael/status/1497259604119543814

Menschsein
Sep 15, 2007

Ne carne ne pesce

On cyberwarfare: tech pros are congregating (again) to form a cyberattack group with Ukraine's support. People from inside and outside Ukraine, separate from Anonymous.

Sorry, don't remember how to operate tags so have the entire link:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-25/hackivists-plot-attacks-on-russia-with-ukraine-s-urging

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

This was posted like 4 hours ago dude

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Deteriorata posted:

At this point, Putin's terms for a ceasefire will be identical to his terms before the invasion. Zelensky will tell him to gently caress off and that will be the end of it.

This is all about Ukraine being seen as reasonable and cooperative, and keeping international opinion on their side.

Zelensky only turned down those terms before because he was convinced NATO would actually do something. Less than 24 hours in he was saying "NATO's bullshit and we're on our own, let's talk about that neutral status." He might be willing to drag out the fight to avoid unconditional surrender and widespread purges of Russia's critics, but he's not getting himself and his country killed over an alliance that he now knows will never defend Ukraine.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Grouchio posted:

Am I going crazy?

I'm about to invoke NATO Article 6hr if you will keep mentioning WW3 in every post.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

FishBulbia posted:

Oh shut up fetishizing that Soviet military doctrine crap. That's not even where Russia is anymore, they've moved on and IRIC their current military practice is essentially based around fire support. Also, it's easy to advance quickly when your enemy has withdrawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Nazzadan posted:

The 25 year old girl responding to "what are you doing after this" with "making molotovs."

Curious about this one. Is it a video?