Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

the holy poopacy posted:

Zelensky only turned down those terms before because he was convinced NATO would actually do something. Less than 24 hours in he was saying "NATO's bullshit and we're on our own, let's talk about that neutral status." He might be willing to drag out the fight to avoid unconditional surrender and widespread purges of Russia's critics, but he's not getting himself and his country killed over an alliance that he now knows will never defend Ukraine.

NATO was never going to do anything and made that very clear for a long time. Zelensky was not actually expecting any help from them at any time. You've rather badly misinterpreted Zelensky's comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

NYC councilmember coming in hot with some really bad takes:
https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233928310173698

Nenonen posted:

Well duh, they already gave their hats. What's left, socks?
Putting together outfits for Ukrainian militia by collecting one clothing item from each NATO country like those multipart Hasbro action figures.

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

Zelensky only turned down those terms before because he was convinced NATO would actually do something. Less than 24 hours in he was saying "NATO's bullshit and we're on our own, let's talk about that neutral status." He might be willing to drag out the fight to avoid unconditional surrender and widespread purges of Russia's critics, but he's not getting himself and his country killed over an alliance that he now knows will never defend Ukraine.

My interpretation of that episode was that Zelensky was jawboning to get NATO members to do more. I do not think he was actually surprised and I do not think he would have accepted terms if he had greater knowledge on how NATO countries would react.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This isn't like the hit TV comedy "The Office" where you can simply DECLARE ARTICLE 5 and war begins. A country doesn't just get up on their desk and proclaim article 5 and suddenly the nukes fly.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Hear ye the words of wisdom from a Finnish professor of psychiatry about the recent public appearances of Putin:

quote:

Whether Vladimir Putin has lost his mind is a question that has been repeated due to recent events.

Professor of Psychiatry Jyrki Korkeila from the University of Turku highlights the calculated, so-called crazy man's strategy, which also Mika Aaltola, director of the Foreign Policy Institute, has spoken about in connection with Putin.

- Many may think he's gone nuts now. But if you have a mental disorder, then you are incapacitated. Others find that not everything is right. In such a situation, impulse control weakens considerably, Korkeila says.

Mental health itself cannot be assessed even for ethical reasons alone, but Putin's behavior can be assessed.

According to Korkeila, Putin's behavior seems extremely determined and even angry.

Korkeila doesn’t think Putin’s personality has changed: he’s the same person as before, but the show is over. The President of the Republic Sauli Niinistö referred to the same when he said that Putin had taken off his mask on Thursday.

Putin worked for 16 years as a KGB intelligence officer, and this is a background not to be forgotten.

- Agent is able to play a role that is not real.

- Putin seems more hostile than before. He no longer expresses the flexibility of cooperation. All of this can be a long-term plan, even though to us things seem to be happening without warning.

According to Korkeila, Putin's decisions require the ability to ignore protests and damage to reputation. This requires a cold nerve, and here too the KGB background emerges.

- You can't be a KGB officer if you can't stand it. It tests stress tolerance, and a KGB officer must have a high level of stress tolerance.

Putin's behavior has been said to even refer to the Tsar. Among other things, meetings with foreign leaders have been noted around the world. Putin has been sitting very far away from his colleagues at a long table lately.

- Even with this, Putin can strive to raise his own value in a style that is not allowed to go near the tsar. Such a situation is likely to prop up self-confidence.

Public humiliations are also part of this repertoire. On Monday, Putin humiliated leader Sergei Narishkin at a Security Council meeting on recognizing separatist areas. Narishkin faltered in his words, when Putin began to humiliate this and told Narishkin to speak directly and clearly.

Putin has been described as both expressionless and cold. Korkeila agrees with these descriptions.

- I watched Putin's speech. There, too, was a rather expressionless, machine-like presence. The impression is a very abrupt and aggressive attitude, and even contemptuous of opponents. One may wonder what it takes to say such things. Putin seems cold, though he laughs.
https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/8a795425-877e-4267-8aae-f29ffeb98f33

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 25, 2022

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

TulliusCicero posted:

This was posted like 4 hours ago dude

And...?

Randarkman posted:

Oh shut up fetishizing that Soviet military doctrine crap. That's not even where Russia is anymore, they've moved on and IRIC their current military practice is essentially based around fire support. Also it's easy to advance quickly when your enemy has withdrawn.

I will say that Ukraine, like most of the fmr ussr has an absolute surplus of mil vehicles, that said, that is still a lot of gear to leave behind. I feel like this guy's assessment is still fairly accurate for that front.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

ummel posted:

Curious about this one. Is it a video?

Negative, tweet.

https://twitter.com/NeilPHauer/status/1497260088293269505

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Zero_Grade posted:

Putting together outfits for Ukrainian militia by collecting one clothing item from each NATO country like those multipart Hasbro action figures.

Super bad take because Zelensky was elected afterwords, and there's been multiple elections.

Outright irresponsible take.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

ummel posted:

Curious about this one. Is it a video?

e;fb

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

More busses rolling into the crossing, more people now coming in. There’s police and fire service to ferry folks to a nearby reception center, but from what I heard everything here is saturated. Also constantly someone like me offering to carry people to Warsaw. I think unless poo poo comes down, this place will be overwhelmed by tomorrow .

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

Ok a dumb question but how does one go about getting one of these gangtags?

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Oh shut up fetishizing that Soviet military doctrine crap. That's not even where Russia is anymore, they've moved on and IRIC their current military practice is essentially based around fire support. Also, it's easy to advance quickly when your enemy has withdrawn.

Flat open terrain with highways is all of Ukraine until you hit the Carpathians anyways.

Cantide
Jun 13, 2001
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

Sorry but If he actually thought NATO would directly interfere he is not fit to be president of anything

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

FishBulbia posted:

This is still building, no Iskanders used yet have they?

We have seen some hits that could’ve been that, but I don’t think we’ll ever be able to ascertain all those night explosions or the initial shock-and-awe blast attempt.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

bad_fmr posted:

Ok a dumb question but how does one go about getting one of these gangtags?

I've added you to the list, its done.

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006

Is there any chance of a good faith negotiation taking place? Russia have firmly lost the optics and international support battle here, could be a way out if Putin hasn’t actually lost his mind that is

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Zero_Grade posted:

The Butterfly meme but with "Is this a Tankie?"

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/1497260123315703811

https://twitter.com/ignis_fatum/status/1497329171646853127?s=20&t=0w4QE49CKo5kSI3OkBzmFQ

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Hear ye the words of wisdom from a Finnish professor of psychiatry about the recent public appearances of Putin:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/ulkomaat/a/8a795425-877e-4267-8aae-f29ffeb98f33

This is complete nonsense.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Play posted:

thank you, that's good information.

sounds kinda like the NATO Member Action Plan (tm) takes too loving long, imho

I disagree. Commitments to mutual defense treaties should, in general, take longer than one election cycle, because if your government's opinion would change across one election cycle it might affect the credibility of such an alliance.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

FizFashizzle posted:

This is complete nonsense.

Body language analysis is bullshit, but especially bullshit when you dont have a baseline to go off of

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Public livestream of the UN Security council meeting starting soon. Video up, no talking yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfzvRN3FYDA

Time to see if Russia's still the chair

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

plogo posted:

My interpretation of that episode was that Zelensky was jawboning to get NATO members to do more. I do not think he was actually surprised and I do not think he would have accepted terms if he had greater knowledge on how NATO countries would react.

I mean he's explicitly trying to do both. He's entertaining whatever offer gives Ukraine the best odds.

Cantide posted:

Sorry but If he actually thought NATO would directly interfere he is not fit to be president of anything

Deteriorata posted:

NATO was never going to do anything and made that very clear for a long time. Zelensky was not actually expecting any help from them at any time. You've rather badly misinterpreted Zelensky's comments.

I didn't specify NATO military intervention (although obviously he'd like that too.) He's been howling for more arms supplies and tougher sanctions from the start, though, and not bothering to hide his bitterness.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

FishBulbia posted:

And...?

I will say that Ukraine, like most of the fmr ussr has an absolute surplus of mil vehicles, that said, that is still a lot of gear to leave behind. I feel like this guy's assessment is still fairly accurate for that front.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't give the wanted response:

RED ARMY THE STRONGEST THERE IS! Blah blah blah

Dog Friday posted:

Is there any chance of a good faith negotiation taking place? Russia have firmly lost the optics and international support battle here, could be a way out if Putin hasn’t actually lost his mind that is

I suppose Putin could see this as an off-ramp and maybe push for an end to sanctions before Russia is locked out of SWIFT?

Optics war and economically situation seems FUBAR for them

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

TulliusCicero posted:

The Butterfly meme but with "Is this a Tankie?"

At very least she is deeply misinformed.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm about to invoke NATO Article 6hr if you will keep mentioning WW3 in every post.
Understood.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Cantide posted:

I think he hoped for deeper sanctions and more hardware, which may not have been realistic, but not as un-realistic as expecting NATO boots on the ground.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Zero_Grade posted:

Dude the number of US leftists fooled by Russian disinformation campaigns is blowing my loving mind

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Whatever he hoped for, his best strategy is to say anything that shames the West into doing more and should be read in that light. And I don't think there's anything cynical about following that strategy, it almost certainly is what he genuinely feels.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Majorian posted:

I think he hoped for deeper sanctions and more hardware, which may not have been realistic, but not as un-realistic as expecting NATO boots on the ground.

I thought it was pretty obvious he was basically shaming them to increase aide or support in anyway.

I don't think he had high hopes for NATO putting boots on the ground but he was probably correct that his urging/shaming is what got sanctions to increase and additional military supplies provided

Epic Mount
Jun 18, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Me too, please?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Epic Mount posted:

Me too, please?

Likewise.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I'd also like one please.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

quarantinethepast posted:

Dude the number of US leftists fooled by Russian disinformation campaigns is blowing my loving mind

I have to say I was bamboozled by Vladmir Pozner's nonsense too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7Ng75e5gQ

Edit: Most of her points can be taken from Pozner's 'lawyer's defense' of Putin and the Soviet Union.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 25, 2022

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

I would also love one <3

szary
Mar 12, 2014

The UN Security Council meeting is started.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Security council meeting just started - Russia still presiding

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I mean, its just using bias against them, it how propaganda works. We're all susceptible to it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Dog Friday posted:

A way out of what? Putin probably see's the current situation as winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233932605079553?t=OpkJ2nYltI79loomXykmeg&s=19

Oh baby, Milosevic apologia folded into justifiable cause for Putin revanchism.