Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that the split pathways at the beginning could have taken me to the tutorial. That explains so much.

I am hilariously bad at this game but it feels awesome when I can eek out a win against much of anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gammymajams
Jan 30, 2016
I've completed Sekiro but never played Dark Souls. Played through most of Nioh 2 and ending up settling into fists and odachi. Sekiro combat felt much better than Nioh 2 though. Any tips for what kind of build would be good to start with?

mrs. nicholas sarkozy
Jan 1, 2006

~let me see ya bounce that bounce that~
found a penguin goty

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Does anyone know where I can buy some new spells?

I am at the first boss at the castle and he is wrecking my poo poo.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Consummate Professional posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't realize that the split pathways at the beginning could have taken me to the tutorial. That explains so much.

I am hilariously bad at this game but it feels awesome when I can eek out a win against much of anything.

That's what Souls games are all about!

Any victory is a victory, there's no such thing as a cheese strat, use every tool you have available.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Found the Claymore, now things are going good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Zore posted:

So do Staves not upgrade? I have one I found at S scaling with int and they don't seem to be an option at the anvil

It's just that one staff, the others do.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I really like this game and my absolute favorite thing to do is beat big enemies is cheesy ways.

A big bear in the woods: I found some stairs under it and slashed at its feet while it couldn't hurt me
A big dude with a giant urn on his head The ballista behind him tried to shoot me and killed him instead lmao

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
All right, I think I figured out how to make this game more fun for me. Someone tell me where and how to buy more sorceries please. I found the incantations dude but I have no idea where to buy the kind of magic that I actually specced into.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

keyframe posted:

Does anyone know where I can buy some new spells?

I am at the first boss at the castle and he is wrecking my poo poo.

You can find a spell tutor at the Waypoint Ruins near the mistwood in Limngrave [the first region].

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Not sure if these turtles drop anything good but I'm never killing any of them.

god drat are you in for a shock

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Brandfarlig posted:

If you go directly to the hardest early game boss after just starting the game he's going to be hard, yes.

He's totally a Gasciogne tier wall, maybe even a little harder since he specifically has some delay attacks to punish you for panic rolling when he winds up.
Not as cool as Gasciogne, but that's like one of the best From first bosses. It was frustrating and great to go from feeling like such a big shot after taking out some weaker sub bosses/optional stuff in an attempt or two, only to get flattened then need to actually upgrade my gear.
He's also a good reminder to swap your gear and playstyle up. That 100% physical shield with low stability a vagabond starts with won't cut it with how hard he hits, the mix of magic attacks, and a slow roll is a death sentence.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Any static longspear locations? I've been craving a game experience where you can 2h stab the poo poo out of enemies with a 9 foot spear but nothing so far.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Cavauro posted:

is there a more huge hammer (or sword) in limgrave than the brick hammer?

I got a hammer in this little dungeon, had to fight a boss for it. Gatefront shown on map for reference, you'll want to go to the player marker northeast.

Feel like I'm never gonna have the stats to use this thing with how little xp I'm getting and how much I'm dying.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Margit is Pontiff Sullyvahn almost 1:1 which is a boss they specifically moved later in 3 and was still a giant progression block for even good players. Making a boss like that the first story directed boss seems like an almost very clear “gently caress you for wanting difficulty settings” which I don’t think is a good call on From’s part.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The way the beastman has an extra second pause on his move in a combo or follows up a huge attack immediately is beautiful. well it was beautiful but I'm just too good

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

a slow roll is a death sentence.

you can speed up your roll? whoa, slow your roll and tell me more

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

pentyne posted:

god drat are you in for a shock

If I have to kill a giant turtle boss at some point that's fine but these normal ones are my friends.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Orv posted:

Margit is Pontiff Sullyvahn almost 1:1 which is a boss they specifically moved later in 3 and was still a giant progression block for even good players. Making a boss like that the first story directed boss seems like an almost very clear “gently caress you for wanting difficulty settings” which I don’t think is a good call on From’s part.

I mean I hit the roadblock and started exploring elsewhere. It's a bit annoying but it's not like I'm spinning my wheels like I may have in other From games?

Orv
May 4, 2011

blue squares posted:

you can speed up your roll? whoa, slow your roll and tell me more

It’s based on your equip load and listed under it as Light(?), Med, Slow

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Orv posted:

it feels more to me like a "go explore the map, literally go anywhere almost nothing can stop/catch you on the horse"

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone know why I’m only getting about 2/3 of my runes back when I pick them up after death?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Orv posted:

Pontiff also becomes a huge chump if you can parry, which doesn't seem to be the case here.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Consummate Professional posted:

I mean I hit the roadblock and started exploring elsewhere. It's a bit annoying but it's not like I'm spinning my wheels like I may have in other From games?

Yeah and it’s good that there’s that option. I’ve seen a bizarre number of posts both on SA and basically everywhere of “I could never get into Dark Souls, surely Elden Ring is the one for me!” and regardless of whether I think that dog particularly hunts it just seems like the Margit roadblock will end more potential fans than it makes, which is always a bummer.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I literally just started, is there some way to remap sprint to L3 without also removing dodge roll/backstep from O? Sprinting with O when the camera controls are R3 feels awful

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know why it doesn't but MAN a photo mode in this game would be amazing.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Gross godrick phase 2 what the heck

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I beat Margit using the NPC summon and the wolf summon, he was distracted the whole fight and only attacked me three times. I was worried reading this thread, but distraction was key for me to beat it.

Also, I will never not hit the dismount button during tense fights I guess, I always do it, getting frustrating.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I need to say how great the wind swept forested areas are. Just awesome environments.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Gross godrick phase 2 what the heck

“Oh this is very bad… oh it just got much worse” -me, ten seconds before being annihilated

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The way the bosses work in the game so far, when they that let you summon spirits it means they got a really mean aoe

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Caelid is a lovely place with fascinating and wondrous animals.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

pentyne posted:

it feels more to me like a "go explore the map, literally go anywhere almost nothing can stop/catch you on the horse"

Yeah, I think they probably did stick him there to drive home "hey, it's an open world game, go somewhere else!". That said it still feels a bit cracked sticking such a nasty boss that early.

Gorson posted:

Is anyone else getting utterly stomped by those centipede guys? I haven't been having too much trouble with this game but those things solo me before I can land a hit. If they really wanted to be mean they could have just replaced Margit with one of those things.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 25, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Anyone know why I’m only getting about 2/3 of my runes back when I pick them up after death?

If anyone else comes across this in Stormveil: that motherfucker by the gate is stealing them

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Also I completed a quest

who needs logs when you have memorable npcs like “lady who talks about being a chrysalis”

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Game loses some points because it can't literally gently caress me in the rear end https://twitter.com/buttplugio/status/1497021529896357916?s=12

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Margit tries to fake you out with an animation that looks like he is going to swing, but doesn't.

If you just play it safe, go for 2 hits per attack, a roll into his jump attack, then you can very slowly kill him without getting touched. The problem is that the longer it takes, the more likely you are to make a mistake and end it all, but if you do that perfectly, then you can beat him without taking a hit.

Just resist swinging 5 times per attack and rolling too much. His entire design is based around punishing that. Summons and friends are good meat shields to use with poison too.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Gorson posted:

Why would you come in here and tell lies?

Also in Caelid Commander O’Neil is likely to end up as my least favorite From boss of all. Multiple ranged enemies, a boss with hyper tracking attacks and horrendously bad hit boxes.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Orv posted:

It’s based on your equip load and listed under it as Light(?), Med, Slow

whoa. I've been running around all heavy this whole time and sucking at dodging. I mostly use my shield

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I went back to the tutorial area and paid the sword-key for the extended tutorial.
:darksouls:
Do it, you will regret it.