Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
How overpowered are those poison spewing, death beams from above, flowers? I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Aaaaaaaaaaacreepy teleporting shadow with spider head aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Also pretty sure I found this game’s Ancient Dragon and not sure how I feel about that.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Feb 25, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I beat Margit on my first try but I was ~level 30. The ashes summon from the Siofra River boss is OP in that fight.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Margit was super easy with my jelly friend and the summon. I just spammed jump R2 while he was distracted and just kept critting him.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
This game has a lot of the vibe I got playing Xenoblade Chronicles way back when. Just massive impressive areas and monstrous enemies and I'm zooming past them because there's no point in fighting them. The areas are super impressive and insanely expansive but at the same time the density is so random and engaging most of this stuff is a 100% chance of death.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I spent most of my time so far exploring along the coast to the west of where Tree Sentinel is. Here's some things I found, but I'd love to hear what anyone else has come across because the area did generally feel kinda empty and I wonder if I'm missing stuff.

- A really angry man who wanted to kill me for some reason. Killed him and got some white flesh off a body near him.
- Some broken pillars placed in such a way that it seems like it wants you to horse climb up them, but I couldn't get it to work and couldn't get all the way up so maybe not?
-A pitch black cave that led to a boss fight against two demihuman chiefs and a bunch of adds each.
-That cave continued and led out to the island southwest of the starting area, where a dead dragon is wrapped up next to an altar that didn't react when I used it (probably need something later)
- An angry dark elf man with a sword that did a pull. Dropped some ashes.
- A giant crab and some horrible tentacle things
- More pillars towards the south that seemed like maybe it wanted me to platform but couldn't figure out if it was legit or not
- The back entrance to the tutorial area which led to the item just before the tutorial pit
- a little area where I got ambushed by demihumans several times, didn't seem to lead to anything past that

If anything has found anything else or knows if I missed anything along that coast I'd love to hear it to help me better think about how to approach an area when I'm exploring.

Tree Sentinel on foot was a lot of fun and learning how to weave the L2, charge and jump attacks into the flow to stagger him was very satisfying. Does he have a place you can hit him for a critical after you stagger him? I could never get it to work attacking from front or back.

Fifteen of Many fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 26, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mailer posted:

This game has a lot of the vibe I got playing Xenoblade Chronicles way back when. Just massive impressive areas and monstrous enemies and I'm zooming past them because there's no point in fighting them. The areas are super impressive and insanely expansive but at the same time the density is so random and engaging most of this stuff is a 100% chance of death.

You should learn to fight them because murder often translates into fashion, the true calling of all Tarnished.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Margit tries to fake you out with an animation that looks like he is going to swing, but doesn't.

If you just play it safe, go for 2 hits per attack, a roll into his jump attack, then you can very slowly kill him without getting touched. The problem is that the longer it takes, the more likely you are to make a mistake and end it all, but if you do that perfectly, then you can beat him without taking a hit.

Just resist swinging 5 times per attack and rolling too much. His entire design is based around punishing that. Summons and friends are good meat shields to use with poison too.

Yeah, he's really not hard at all but everyone gets greedy and eats poo poo

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, he's really not hard at all but everyone gets greedy and eats poo poo

Seven tries at a boss is basically forever. :yayclod:

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

Rusty posted:

I beat Margit using the NPC summon and the wolf summon, he was distracted the whole fight and only attacked me three times. I was worried reading this thread, but distraction was key for me to beat it.

I've been trying these, but he just kills them all before phase 2 or just at the start of phase two so it ends up not mattering. If I wait to summon them, they die pretty fast again.

Apparently there is some kind of poisoning strategy with him, someone said use the jelly - but same deal, it dies very fast and if it CAN poison him, it doesn't do it fast enough before it dies.

Just had another 4-5 goes on Margit and basically got nowhere. The problem is, once he gets the hammer and the additional combos, because the fight takes so long with my low damage (and i have a buffed sacred estoc +4 at 280 atk power, it's still slow), I eventually mess up and that combo locks me into a situation where if I get hit once, I definitely die because you get up right as the combo is finishing and get hit again.

So I can either get to a point where I never get hit by him, which will take me FOREVER, or I can find some kind of cheesey route around this. Tips?

roomtone fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Feb 26, 2022

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

VictualSquid posted:

I went back to the tutorial area and paid the sword-key for the extended tutorial.
:darksouls:
Do it, you will regret it.

I chose this as my starting gift and never left the tutorial :smuggo: until I got my poo poo pushed in sooo many times by the thing at the end, just a SL1 naked man with a club was a slog getting it to even half health

Was only able to play a bunch of hours last night before sleep and work today, getting back in now

But I expected the game to gate me a bit more, like "can't go to this area quite yet, gotta beat this boss first", a la traditional Fromsoft level design

But no its like really free open world.

I'm a lvl 10 Wretch with only an unupgraded hand axe and some pants, only beat the "tutorial" boss, and I've managed to just gently caress off north all the way to Ciara Manor. And almost entirely on foot!

SL1 runs going to be nuts

pentyne posted:

Any static longspear locations? I've been craving a game experience where you can 2h stab the poo poo out of enemies with a 9 foot spear but nothing so far.

I definitely got one while exploring the overworld, although it was a Great Spear, and has a big FTH requirement. The other side of the broken bridge from Stormviel, guarded by one of those giants. Its called a Treespear and its big

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Traxis posted:

I beat Margit on my first try but I was ~level 30. The ashes summon from the Siofra River boss is OP in that fight.

what one is that? i have jellyfish, three wolves and two skelly guys.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Starting to see that GRRM influence

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So uhh, has anyone gone to the landmass south of where you start yet? This place is giving me serious Yharnam vibes

It starts off with Beast monsters that look straight out of Bloodborne, then I found the Ailing Village which has very Bloodborne architecture and is full of Bloodborne-esque villagers who are suffering from some kind of disease and mostly frozen in agony, it's surrounded by diseased and plagued rats. This plague seems to be fire-based though, the diseased villagers can spit fire. (I didn't play BB very far but don't remember anything like that). That lead me to a place called Callu Baptismal Church which I'm working through now, looks like there's a giant rat running the show here

e: oh my god the reward was a laserbeam eyes pyromacy spell

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Feb 26, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I've been going around mostly naked except for a rarely used tower shield and a big anchor weapon and this is game of the decade. Have spent about 10 hours not heading past the stormgate at the beginning but I think I'm finally heading past since the last place I found seems a little tough for now.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

deep dish peat moss posted:

So uhh, has anyone gone to the landmass south of where you start yet? This place is giving me serious Yharnam vibes

It starts off with Beast monsters that look straight out of Bloodborne, then I found the Ailing Village which has very Bloodborne architecture and is full of Bloodborne-esque villagers who are suffering from some kind of disease and mostly frozen in agony, it's surrounded by diseased and plagued rats. This plague seems to be fire-based though, the diseased villagers can spit fire. (I didn't play BB very far but don't remember anything like that). That lead me to a place called Callu Baptismal Church which I'm working through now, looks like there's a giant rat running the show here

Ohh trust me, this place is very much not the most bloodborne influenced area in the game

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

What's this thing here mean? Something about summoning zones, maybe?

Aaaand my game just crashed upon being summoned. 2 for 2!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Groovelord Neato posted:

Starting to see that GRRM influence

I named my character Sir Goodmen, in honor of Ramsay's greatest champion, Twenty

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Appoda posted:

What's this thing here mean? Something about summoning zones, maybe?

Aaaand my game just crashed upon being summoned. 2 for 2!

when that sign is visible, you can summon your ash monsters. when it isn't, you can't.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Logan 5 posted:

Ohh trust me, this place is very much not the most bloodborne influenced area in the game

I've been seeing a lot of DS2 influence too. I'm calling it now, this game is the Smash Bros of Fromsoft games and it's about how we the players have beaten and shattered the worlds of all of their games so many times that they're all floating through the afterlife together :colbert:

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

This game is kinda big.

Orv
May 4, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

I've been seeing a lot of DS2 influence too. I'm calling it now, this game is the Smash Bros of Fromsoft games and it's about how we the players have beaten and shattered the worlds of all of their games so many times that they're all floating through the afterlife together :colbert:

It absolutely is a greatest hits compilation from mobs to places to move sets and weapons.

Also my (completely unsubstantiated) guess is that our maiden is a fake.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

also - is anyone else mostly failing to summon co-op?

outside margit i used the item to show summon signs, there were dozens, and i only got 1 successfully after trying about 10 of them. i thought people were just disconnecting at first but it seemed more like a bug.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

roomtone posted:

outside margit i used the item to show summon signs, there were dozens, and i only got 1 successfully after trying about 10 of them. i thought people were just disconnecting at first but it seemed more like a bug.

It usually means someone beat you to it

Orv
May 4, 2011

roomtone posted:

Bloodstains we’re broken for me all night so the servers might be overloaded.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I know why it doesn't but MAN a photo mode in this game would be amazing.

Have you used the big telescope?

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Orv posted:

yeah come to think of it, same for me. maybe that's what it is then, hopefully it smooths out because if margit is any indication i'm gonna need those signs

Tainted Ham
Apr 19, 2009
For those of you farther in the game; how stingy do I need to be with smith stones? I want tonupgrade my starting gear but im worried it will be a waste

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

roomtone posted:

when that sign is visible, you can summon your ash monsters. when it isn't, you can't.

Ahhh, gotcha. Figured it was something like that

BTW, is the group password "LLJK" or "lljk"? I've seen like two bloodstains from our group and I know goons are dying more than that

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Just a few hours in, and I'm enjoying it, but the first area just doesn't feel very Dark Souls to me (at least the outdoor parts, the interiors I've seen are great). What's with all these animals that aren't undead, cursed, or even visably diseased? And I'm picking fruit? I hope future zones will feel more gloriously ruined. Or maybe they're trying to show us a world that isn't quite as fallen (or hasn't been fallen as long) as DS1&3.

Not super into the horse yet, either. But that's not a big deal; I just don't use it much.

On the plus side, the new block-counterattack thing is amazing for me, the guy who hides behind shields because he can't parry or dodge for poo poo.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Also where's the sorcery vendor?

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

roomtone posted:

yeah come to think of it, same for me. maybe that's what it is then, hopefully it smooths out because if margit is any indication i'm gonna need those signs

I only see bloodstain animations from people in our group. I feel like 4-5 blood pools are enough to get me to look for a message, though

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Sir Tonk posted:

Also where's the sorcery vendor?

Hidden behind a boss in a dungeon. Boss is easy at least.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Orv posted:

Wait, are bloodstains supposed to do something?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

NotNut posted:

Thanks. This poo poo is so frustrating because the game looks amazing.

Do you also have a 6700xt? Just curious.

It really is the most frustrating kind of performance issue because everything looks loving amazing and holds a flat 60FPS until combat and then it becomes a jittery unplayable mess.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Samurai kicks rear end

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Lmao of COURSE that’s where the great sword is

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tainted Ham posted:

For those of you farther in the game; how stingy do I need to be with smith stones? I want tonupgrade my starting gear but im worried it will be a waste

There hasn’t been a modern From RPG yet where you don’t effectively have infinite access to early and mid-level + upgrade materials after a story beat, experiment as you want though be a little judicious as they do seem a little slimmer on the ground for the mid-levels.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Skippy McPants posted:

Wait, are bloodstains supposed to do something?

They’re supposed to show you a ghost replay of the persons last few seconds of the life and death that caused the bloodstain. The ghost part isn’t super necessary because a bunch of bloodstains themselves should have you wary and moving slower but they can occasionally reveal super useful things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thumbtacks posted:

Lmao of COURSE that’s where the great sword is

Is it in a wolf's mouth