Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Does boss poise increase during co-op like HP does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

long shot here...

I'm trying to rush the invasion item at level 3

I made it to magma wyrm but it's kicking my rear end. I got it to 30% once but it will be a miracle if I can kill on my own.

If anyone defeats it and wants to see if they can help me rush it, please let me know. Maybe we can connect on discord or something? idk best way to coordinate.

Would be hugely appreciative.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Does Mind increase spell memory? I’d assume so but it doesn’t mention it in the level up screen

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Beat Magrit on my third try, thanks jellyfish

Where I can buy a talisman or whatever it’s called in this game, the thing I equip to use faith incantations?

You can buy one from the twin corpse vendor in the Hall. The sick silver Catholic nunchuck looking thing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Does Mind increase spell memory? I’d assume so but it doesn’t mention it in the level up screen

if it does then it’s way the gently caress up there because mine’s up to like 21 and still nothing (from mind).

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

this game is so good. I love it

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

I love my giant golden halberd

Orv
May 4, 2011
Memory stones are the only way to increase spell slots this time around. A vendor sells one, little rectangle of topaz in a brass frame. The others are world find AFAIK.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

if it does then it’s way the gently caress up there because mine’s up to like 21 and still nothing (from mind).

Dang

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tell me where this is so I can never go there.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
While dying in 2 hits isn't ideal to try and and workshop how to defeat bosses, for the ones that are larger then normal is there a typical attack strategy?

I fought this giant stone thing with flaming ankles and managed to make it collapse but then it got back up too quick to get to its head or anything. No idea if there's a critical hit you need to land in those moments and that's how the bosses are designed around.

Same for the auto-target that can focus on the limbs or main body, can you disable legs to hobble bosses?

Speaking of, landing critical or staggered hits on anything non-human sized seems like a matter of luck.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Two questions:

1. How rare are smithing stones? I'm afraid to upgrade anything because I have no idea when I'll get more.

2. Are there any interesting or good low-ish requirement weapons around Limgrave? You can spoil locations for me, I don't care. I still don't have anything other than the broadsword I started with.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do I invade grrm drat it

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

Two questions:

1. How rare are smithing stones? I'm afraid to upgrade anything because I have no idea when I'll get more.

2. Are there any interesting or good low-ish requirement weapons around Limgrave? You can spoil locations for me, I don't care. I still don't have anything other than the broadsword I started with.

If you find a mine you'll be swimming in them, otherwise you kinda need to explore everywhere if you upgrade a bunch of different stuff. Castle dungeons also tend to have a lot of them too.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

took down godrick with an npc summon. the main story boss fights are loving brutal.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

fuckpot posted:

No ultrawide support is a major buzzkill for me. I'm aware of the hacks to get it working but I don't want to play in offline mode.

The good news is I got plenty of other games to play while I wait for ultrawide, RTX and DLSS to be added (hopefully).

Orv posted:

RTX and DLSS are supremely unlikely. From for all its design chops is very much stuck in that 2000s era niche(-ish) Japanese developer mindset of PC being an afterthought and their engine would likely crumble hilariously under RTX. Official ultra wide support is more likely but still considerably less than anything I’d hold out for.

fuckpot posted:

There's a little note on PCGW saying RTX is on it's way but no citation. RTX usually means DLSS as well but yeah you're right, wishful thinking.

As for ultrawide, I'm thinking that right now some tech support guy is getting inundated with complaints about accounts being banned for using ultrawide hacks and they'll add it because how hard can it be for a major studio rolling in cash.

If it never comes I'll just play in offline mode.

lmao

As a huge Fromsoft on PC enjoyer and ultrawide owner, who has played them all modded to 21:9, even DeS in the emulator - the chances of From adding ultrawide support are pretty much non-existent. They confirmed no support on their Japanese FAQ page before the game even released. Here's a translation

It sucks and is stupid, but they never do it, and I see no reason they'll start now.

RTX was confirmed officially to come at some point, but who knows really, gotta fix the performance issues they have first.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

fuckpot posted:

No ultrawide support is a major buzzkill for me. I'm aware of the hacks to get it working but I don't want to play in offline mode.

The good news is I got plenty of other games to play while I wait for ultrawide, RTX and DLSS to be added (hopefully).

It's gonna release right after bloodborn for pc and the original DS1 bug fixing patch. :agesilaus:

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
the game feels so far away from being ready for something like RTX to be added. it runs like dogshit - just wildly inconsistent with very little rhyme or reason as to why I'm getting huge swings in framerate in the open world.

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
play session two

I'm mad at From on their insistence to be From:

putting a huge game mechanic behind some stupid encounter that happens if you're at a random bonfire at a stupid time is such from bullshit. Yes I found out that I can buy the spirit summon thing in the hub but still lol why you gotta be this way from

i beat magrit
if you want a tip

jellyfish is key. it seems like basically no one knows how to do the second phase, so human summons are often not helpful. Jellyfish can poison him and then die when he's going HAM, which makes the going HAM phase a lot shorter.

it's extremely hilarious to me that THE DISCOURSE has been forever that summoning is the secret easy mode for FROM games but surprise bitch in elden ring it's hard mode

stormveil castle. I like that stormveil castle is literally veiled by storm.

i fireballed the dark room idiot while he was stuck on the door.
the escalation from knife bird to fire bird was a thing to see

misty woods section

the dog bear fight was very cool. I liberated kenneth branagh's castle. Is he going to show up there? should i go back at some point?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I found a medium shield with 100% physical guarding, but it requires 14 strength and weighs 5.5. Is there a more accessible 100% physical shield with a lower stat requirement anywhere?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
troll in the firey boi mines was probably my favorite minor dungeon bossfight so far. Reminded me of Last Giant in a good way.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deep dish peat moss posted:

So uhh, has anyone gone to the landmass south of where you start yet? This place is giving me serious Yharnam vibes

It starts off with Beast monsters that look straight out of Bloodborne, then I found the Ailing Village which has very Bloodborne architecture and is full of Bloodborne-esque villagers who are suffering from some kind of disease and mostly frozen in agony, it's surrounded by diseased and plagued rats. This plague seems to be fire-based though, the diseased villagers can spit fire. (I didn't play BB very far but don't remember anything like that). That lead me to a place called Callu Baptismal Church which I'm working through now, looks like there's a giant rat running the show here

e: oh my god the reward was a laserbeam eyes pyromacy spell

I loved that little area, and can't wait to find out more lore from the story. I'm guessing it's hinting at some bad stuff as usual.

Absolute vibes of

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
How the gently caress does the map just keep on getting bigger, it's absurd

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

What's this from?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I got to Ansiel Riviera before going to the castle. loving lmao no wonder I was having a hard time.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Having a scripted invasion to introduce the mechanic is good.

Giving him a bleed weapon is something.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
gently caress yeah turtle party

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I've never played a Souls-like before and I weep for my reflexes, but the reviews proclaiming this the next BotW make it too enticing to pass up.

I'm anticipating several days of whatever the gently caress leveling up means in this game before confronting the first boss.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Turns out Margrit is a chump when you have a +5 Estoc.

gently caress this game rules so hard. Poise breaking bosses feels so good and makes the overall flow much better than just mashing R1.

Also hey diseased tree spirit or whatever what the gently caress dude

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Oh my god, you’re supposed to just JUMP when Godrick does his earthquake holy poo poo WHY didn’t I realize that until now

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MadJackal posted:

I've never played a Souls-like before and I weep for my reflexes, but the reviews proclaiming this the next BotW make it too enticing to pass up.

I'm anticipating several days of whatever the gently caress leveling up means in this game before confronting the first boss.

It's basically BOTW without the bad combat; also good luck not running into a boss because sometimes I've just stumbled across them without trying. lol It's great.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

this should go in the OP, I've referred back to it multiple times and it's very helpful

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
Has anyone been able to get a 16:10 resolution working? 1920x1200 has letterboxing on the top and bottom no matter what I do, which seems bizarre since earlier From games supported this aspect ratio.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Appoda posted:

Yeeeaaah it's kind of a bummer that they're still stuck in that mode of enemy design. It makes total sense in a game like Sekiro where you can stand your ground and every deflection is progress toward winning the fight, it's a pain in the rear end when it's an arbitrary loop you have to sit through or risk getting clobbered.

I definitely miss that aspect of being aggressive with defense and in general how if you are a good boy and just hit the stuff when you're supposed to, it will die and you will win. In this you can dodge all day but never get a hit and die on first mistake. The enemies also don't want to dance with you, they have no honour, they know when your panic instinct is to roll or attack and they take a step back, roll out of distance, maybe even heal.

Just spent half an hour dying to this random mookm a sure sign I should gtfo of here and go elsewhere, but I was convinced he had special treasure. He did not, not much xp either, just a mean magic fucker with deadly fire powder. And then there's this runekiller fucker who I can't be touched by or I die, plus he has like 5 dogs lol. I've started to mark these things to come back later, wanna go beat up that first boss I found I almost beat out the gate.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Exploring down south and suddenly a cloud appears and a loving giant were-bear is chasing me!!! Where the gently caress?? How the gently caress??

Ran away and it hosed off. The mount trivializes crabs btw - they are too slow!

Castle Morne out the way now - fun mini-dungeon.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Oh my god, you’re supposed to just JUMP when Godrick does his earthquake holy poo poo WHY didn’t I realize that until now

Jumping is lostech.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

sigher posted:

What's this from?

:nws::nws:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QFwo57WKwg

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I strongly recommend following these starting steps for new players, this will unlock your mount, ashes of war, and spirit summoning right away, and those 3 things enable a whole lot more progress. Spoiled for the sake of anyone who wants to go in blind but I don't recommend it for these 3 early things.

1) from the starting area, proceed forward until you get to a boss fight. You need to either die or win the fight, either one.

2) after the fight you'll be in a new area. There is a ghost sitting in a chair next to a hole in the ground. Jump in that hole if you would like to do the tutorial, otherwise leave through the other door in the room.

3) light the bonfire outside. Look around and you'll see a church. Head to that church next, don't fight the big horseback man yet.

4) at the church talk to the vendor and light the bonfire. This vendor sells the crafting kit for 300 runes and a torch for 100 runes. You want to buy them both. There is also a blacksmith's anvil at the Church, approaching and looting it opens up weapon upgrading.

4) to the northwest ish side of the church is a series of high cliffs/precipices you can climb. Climb to the top and interact with the statue.

5) go to the location the statue points you toward to find a catacomb. Clear the boss of that catacomb.

6) return to any bonfire and rest. An npc should appear to give you your mount. If not, just run around for a while, find new bonfires, kill things, whatever - until you trigger the mount scene at a bonfire.

7) go back to the church bonfire and there should be a new npc there. Rest if they don't show up. if it doesn't seem to trigger, explore for a bit again and make sure you run around on your horse, then come back to the church. When the npc is there, talk to them to receive the ability to use spirit summons

8) Proceed up the road to the north from the church until you get to the Gate Ruins. Clear it and look for stairs leading down into the ground. Go down the stairs and open the treasure chest to get the final piece of the puzzle here, the item that lets you equip ashes of war.

I'm bookmarking this but apprehensive that the game starts as, "First, die."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

I found a medium shield with 100% physical guarding, but it requires 14 strength and weighs 5.5. Is there a more accessible 100% physical shield with a lower stat requirement anywhere?

idk but that's impressively low requirements as is. Everything I've found I'm still slowly working my way up to holding properly.