Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

not an empty quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A big flaming stink posted:

honestly im more concerned that the state department is operating from the realpolitik position of "the more damage ukraine inflicts on russia's army, the better" regardless of the consequences to the ukrainian people

I seriously doubt this. Russia, on its own over the last 48 hours, has demonstrated very clearly that the United States armed forces is so much more capable than Russia’s its almost laughable.

Russia is an obvious strategic threat now to the EU and NATO, but at the present time her conventional forces are not in the least.

And the funny thing is Putin basically showed the whole world his military, while dangerous to smaller non-NATO states, cannot really threaten the West.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Weather the "mainstream left" wants to admit it or not, we have a huge putin apology problem. Left spaces are filled with insanity like this right now. Regarding the DSA coming out as anti-any-sanctions:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Zelensky warned of an all-out assault tonight. It seems the Russians have been p consistent about starting their assaults around 3 in the morning.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZombieLenin posted:

I seriously doubt this. Russia, on its own over the last 48 hours, has demonstrated very clearly that the United States armed forces is so much more capable than Russia’s its almost laughable.

Russia is an obvious strategic threat now to the EU and NATO, but at the present time her conventional forces are not in the least.

And the funny thing is Putin basically showed the whole world his military, while dangerous to smaller non-NATO states, cannot really threaten the West.

Yeah, that's the ironic part: The US did pretty well in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the problem was there was no real plan, so the DOD was stuck holding its dick in its hand for 10+ years.

This....this is pathetic on the part of the Russian military.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it lingers loving here too. some NYC council woman was saying insane poo poo about it.

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233925076312071
https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233927240568837

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233931518812161

https://twitter.com/Kristin4Harlem/status/1497233932605079553

there is alot of weird "russia is always the plucky underdog who does nothing wrong" in various parts of the left and the right in the west.

I like how she insists on the KRJ acronym like she's desperate for attention and to be relevant as Ocasio-Cortez. Pathetic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

They did well to keep that quiet as long as they did. Seems like a poor choice to be flying in an area of your own AA.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Baronjutter posted:

Weather the "mainstream left" wants to admit it or not, we have a huge putin apology problem. Left spaces are filled with insanity like this right now. Regarding the DSA coming out as anti-any-sanctions:

Authoritarians flock together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Baronjutter posted:

yeah its depressing. i am seeing way less of it this time around outside certain areas.

Eggs
Apr 15, 2007

honestly im more concerned that the state department is operating from the realpolitik position of "the more damage ukraine inflicts on russia's army, the better" regardless of the consequences to the ukrainian people

it makes perfect sense that they would have this position. russia's military is embarrassed, and nato's position is strengthened.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Like holy poo poo these people believe the United States is the only country with any agency throughout human history

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

His live tweets have been p accurate and he’s the ranking member of Senate intelligence, a role he actually takes seriously. He’s a dingus but he would be the first to know about almost anything the wider us government does.

He’s coming off as clearly serious-posting about this whole situation, so I’m genuinely curious if there are videos of unearthed Ukrainian stockpile of RIM-174 missiles.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I’ll get probed again most likely, but one of the worst places I’ve seen folks making those mental leaps is fascinating in the mental gymnastics they pull off.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1497368313873133570

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

im not saying youre incorrect, but absolutely no one should be confident enough to make this sort of statement 2 days into a freaking war. nobody in this thread has the slightest idea how the fighting is truly going, not just due to propaganda on both sides, but also the fog of war

Eggs posted:

it makes perfect sense that they would have this position. russia's military is embarrassed, and nato's position is strengthened.

then gently caress the state department for prolonging a war in order to score points against its geopolitical rival at the cost of another nation's people.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

You guys realize that the US taking a harder line bolsters Ukraine's position right? And that if I can figure that out I'm pretty sure the state department can

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Eggs posted:

yeah like even when Kyiv falls(peace to the fallen) this will probably keep going long term. most of the sanctions wont stop until Putin strokes out because its very clear he won't stop with Ukraine now and nato is probably gonna get a couple new members.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

As a life-long super lefty, this has always baffled me. The only explanation I can think of for where these apologists come from is that people really can't process the idea that being against one thing, in their case American imperialism, does not mean that the opposing side is suddenly your best friend. In simpler words, Tankies are baffling in their stupidity.

Like honestly, those sorts of hot takes are indistinguishable from what I'd expect from a Russian troll farm agent. Worse since they're not even being paid by Putin to do it most of the time.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, we shouldn't just discard it as silly craziness. As progressive leftists we should be absolutely sensitive and highly vigilant to it so we can stamp it out. It's not a fringe belief, it's not just random ramblings.

Mainstream figures partake in the putin apologia and in the "peace movement by appeasing Russia"-speech that pretends to value human life.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

He’s coming off as clearly serious-posting about this whole situation, so I’m genuinely curious if there are videos of unearthed Ukrainian stockpile of RIM-174 missiles.

Or maybe some A2A stuff they supplied for the ukr AF?

I could also see targeting and vectoring just being a boon.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Having to ask Kazakhstan for help isn't a good sign, right?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukraine announced that the US is giving 4.5 billion in support so I would wager he’s gotten briefed that some of the shipments have arrived.

Whether we see them in action or not depends on how tonight goes since the Russian wake-up calls starting now.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, that's the ironic part: The US did pretty well in Afghanistan and Iraq, but the problem was there was no real plan, so the DOD was stuck holding its dick in its hand for 10+ years.

I had this crazy hope at the start that the invasion would be a complete face plant, Ukraine would counterattack and retake all of its land.

That's still remote but substantially less crazy sounding that it was 24 hours ago.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Jarmak posted:

You guys realize that the US taking a harder line bolsters Ukraine's position right? And that if I can figure that out I'm pretty sure the state department can

i actually would like you to explain this perspective if you do not mind, because this interpretation did not occur to me

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I’m really bummed out thinking of the future for all Ukrainians, and the LGBT-people in that country in particular.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Despera posted:

Like holy poo poo these people believe the United States is the only country with any agency throughout human history

There's a part of me that thinks most "true leftist" posters are actually working for the CIA to make the United States look more powerful than it is. Then I remember "Legacy of Ashes" and realize there's no way they'd pull something like that off.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Why are troops being requested from Kazakhstan at all?

Something odd is going on.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Despera posted:

Doesn't this comment from a Ukrainian member of parliament sound like they need the US to encourage their resistance to Russian occupation?

https://twitter.com/amanpour/status/1497274941405814788?t=gy_5LxcJzoh5GU3K2O1CCw&s=19

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mustard Iceman posted:

Could be a couple things, a multinational force also shows you are united/have allies willing to see it through. Its why everyone always plays up multinational colialitions

If its the above it backfired pretty badily.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
The DSA was for sanctions (against isreal) before it was against them

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Mustard Iceman posted:

Probably don't want to waste Russian troops on Peacekeeping and getting shot by urban snipers for the next however many months

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

The US probably would struggled at least a little more if Russia had been handing out a bunch of military equipment to Iraq and training their forces for years before the invasion too, but I do agree with the analysis that Russia's military prowess has been pretty seriously overstated by anyone who saw them as a conventional peer competitor to the US.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Most likely to try to take some heat off of Russia and provide extra 'legitimacy' by having other nations join the effort. Basically like the Coalition of the Willing during the Iraq War.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mustard Iceman posted:

It's probably not so much an indication of Russia needing Kazakh troops in a military sense as the Russians probably figuring that having them there would signal that Russia has allies (whether that would be succesful is another matter) and it would also draw Kazakhstan in closer to Russia and probably give Russia more leverage in the relationship considering what went down there around a month back.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I’m guessing involving as many of your allies as possible might give the invasion a bit more legitimacy in a vacuum, but this isn’t a vacuum and everyone and their aunt knows the score so it seems like a pointless thing.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Russian attack heliocopter blowing up Ukranian AA platform and trucks. No bodies visible.

:nws:
:nms:

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497379389041958913?s=20&t=k3pA48sCxiT5990gCGSsUQ

Let's keep driving towards it!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I feel like sending forces so they can get sanctioned too would be a pretty bad move on Kazakhstan's part. If they're looking for an off ramp to their relationship with Russia, I bet China would be willing to step in.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

i actually would like you to explain this perspective if you do not mind, because this interpretation did not occur to me

Have you ever been in an argument where one of your friends comes in to defend you way hotter than you were? It lends a whole lot of credibility to you by making you seem reasonable and moderated while still getting the more aggressive version out there (but you didn't say it).

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

im not saying youre incorrect, but absolutely no one should be confident enough to make this sort of statement 2 days into a freaking war. nobody in this thread has the slightest idea how the fighting is truly going, not just due to propaganda on both sides, but also the fog of war
The US military has been effectively built to fight a European theatre-style war for 70 years now, and is still able to do so because that's still where a lot of focus and optimization is directed. It's dealing with long-term insurgencies that has been the US military's Achilles' heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Grammarchist posted:

There's a part of me that thinks most "true leftist" posters are actually working for the CIA to make the United States look more powerful than it is. Then I remember "Legacy of Ashes" and realize there's no way they'd pull something like that off.

The CIA is both the most hyper competent and utterly dumb group of folks according to some folks.

I just think their idiots.

I have some reasonably unorthodox views on Mossadegahs overthrow and think that the cia and mi5 cocked the coup up and got lucky as hell that Mossadageh made some unforced errors that freaked folks out. He moved closer to the communists/Russia and that made the rural and religious leadership turn on him and gave the army brass popular support to come out of hiding to really coup him.