Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Why is there a bear. WHY IS THERE A BEAR. I killed a dude, and all of a sudden there's a bear. I don't understand. Why is he so huge and tough. Why is he harder than the minibosses I've fought so far. Most importantly, what does he drop and is he actually worth beating my head against? :byobear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I don't have playstation plus but it keeps bugging me to get it when I open the game, is it really necessary/worth it? I'm not really into getting griefed by randos tbh but I know some games it enhances the experience to have enviromental stuff from online.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
hallelujah finally found the sorcerer teacher

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pentyne posted:

Speaking of, landing critical or staggered hits on anything non-human sized seems like a matter of luck.

I think everything has an internal poise meter just like you and if you tip it, they get staggered. Some bosses also have hit boxes on them that are a bit weaker or deal more poise when hitting them. In Margit I see staggered pretty often if everyone is on-point and jumps it as soon as it leaves a big opening.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pollyanna posted:

I found a medium shield with 100% physical guarding, but it requires 14 strength and weighs 5.5. Is there a more accessible 100% physical shield with a lower stat requirement anywhere?

I have one with 10 Str. Beast Crest. I think it was in a treasure chest in a solider camp, iirc east of where you get the jellyfish, or maybe the horse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Jumping is lostech.

Alpha strike initiated

*throws dagger*
*throws pot*
*dies*

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Vintersorg posted:

Exploring down south and suddenly a cloud appears and a loving giant were-bear is chasing me!!! Where the gently caress?? How the gently caress??

Ran away and it hosed off. The mount trivializes crabs btw - they are too slow!

Castle Morne out the way now - fun mini-dungeon.

I had to lol at Irina sending you to castle Morne.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
margit kicked my rear end for a while before I beat him but I just bulldozed over godrick first try lol

maybe he should take some pointers from the guy hanging out on his porch

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

coolusername posted:

I don't have playstation plus but it keeps bugging me to get it when I open the game, is it really necessary/worth it? I'm not really into getting griefed by randos tbh but I know some games it enhances the experience to have enviromental stuff from online.

i haven't been invaded yet and honestly griefing from randos is almost always the least of your worries. They also have systems to summon friends to help you if someone does invade eventually. And usually a way to selectively avoid invasions while enjoying online benefits

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
If you get cursed, there's an npc in the belltower that sells purging stones

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

That first real boss Margit seems poorly tuned, especially for where he is in the game. There are no actual, truly safe times to attack him in melee! I spent two hours getting his pattern down and it's like 50% luck if you can get in an attack - sometimes you can and other's he's like "lol nah gently caress you and die here's a non-stop attack combo that I might chain into another combo... but maybe I'll just hop away idk." And even those sometimes you can dodge away other times the attacks are too quick together you literally can't evade fast enough with the light roll i-frames too. And even waiting for those attacks that might be ok to attack him is boring as poo poo because sometimes he'll just stare at you for 2 minutes not doing a loving thing.

Do the other main boss fights get better because this one isn't impressing me. I enjoyed killing overworld dudes and the mini-bosses I've found in caves and stuff but it's just... not enjoyable to "learn" this guy. I thought the loop was to learn the pattern through multiple deaths, identify a weakness, then exploit it. There's no actual weakness to exploit with that fucker unless I load up 500 arrows or something and just plink him.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
rba starblade said he did margit at level 2 as wretch

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Khanstant posted:

I definitely miss that aspect of being aggressive with defense and in general how if you are a good boy and just hit the stuff when you're supposed to, it will die and you will win. In this you can dodge all day but never get a hit and die on first mistake. The enemies also don't want to dance with you, they have no honour, they know when your panic instinct is to roll or attack and they take a step back, roll out of distance, maybe even heal.

there's been a weird asynchronous arms race ever since dark souls 1 - and now extending into elden ring - where enemy moveset complexity has increased astronomically while player tools have increased to slow, unwieldy weapon arts and not much else

for a point of comparison, bosses in nioh 2 have the same kind of complex, multihit attacks and shifting between combos, but the player character in nioh 2 has a huge moveset with any individual weapon and highly responsive controls to respond appropriately to any situation with sufficient player skill, while john eldenring still has an input buffer that clears slower than molasses in january

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Khanstant posted:

It’s possible people were saying the pontiff was a roadblock in 3 but he didn’t seem that hard when I fought him so I doubt the experience is universal

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
MotherFUCKER there's an underground layer! How big is this loving game?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Pontiff phase two was an absolute bitch

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Vermain posted:

there's been a weird asynchronous arms race ever since dark souls 1 - and now extending into elden ring - where enemy moveset complexity has increased astronomically while player tools have increased to slow, unwieldy weapon arts and not much else

for a point of comparison, bosses in nioh 2 have the same kind of complex, multihit attacks and shifting between combos, but the player character in nioh 2 has a huge moveset with any individual weapon and highly responsive controls to respond appropriately to any situation with sufficient player skill, while john eldenring still has an input buffer that clears slower than molasses in january

But then your playing Nioh and who wants that

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I'm never going to get anywhere because I keep going back and forth between the samurai and astrologer starts.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I have so many summon ashes and the witch doesn’t show up at the church for me. I hope I’m not boned.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Here’s my elden ring review. I don’t like soulsbornes. I think they’re frustrating at best and boring at worse. Trifling games.

I’ve been playing elden ring since noon and have killed 5 bosses. This game is built different from the others.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Beat Margit on my first try at lvl 20 playing dex/int with the estoc, just used quickstep ash of war and played like it's Bloodborne 2.

He does have a really punishing move set though, slip up and you're toast, he almost got me a couple times.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Orv posted:

Margit is a patience boss. You hit him once, twice with a fast weapon when you have an opening, you back off until he goes into a combo you know how to survive, positioning yourself during it to hit him again, rinse repeat.

I know that sounds kind of trite and obvious but that really just is the secret to a solid third of all Souls bosses. The frantic combos are there to make you panic, spend resources you don’t need to and eventually that compounds to a loss. The calmer you can stay in a boss fight - a skill which admittedly can take a long time to learn - the better you’ll do.

This boss design fuckin sucks and is worn through tho. I beat him with a +1 longsword (lol) but it would have been significantly harder if I used my halberd because, like Dark Souls 3, all the major fights seem to be paced for fast weapons and the damage/range/whatever of slow weapons does not at all make up for it.

Sekiro was a step forward in boss design that gave the player more agency -- you could take control of a fight with aggression, tactics, combos, and more than just sitting there, carefully watching every move and hoping you have enough stamina to get through a 6+ hit combo.

Idk. I'm bummed that they showed progress in combat design but have mostly went back on it. I'm still having fun, but I was really hoping there would be a bigger shift in the fundamentals than what I've seen so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hey if any of y'all meet a man who rises out of the muck near a bunch of otherwordly bloody pustule looking growths in the swamp, know that he is a bastard man.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Khanstant posted:

Lol I just watched a video and it's just a "gently caress you melee" boss. Range looks easy as poo poo. I like melee but I'd they're all going to be like this then idk

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I gotta say, there are way more cheapo mobs than in any previous FROM game. Its not that any individual enemy is cheap, its that the amount of times you get cornered and absorb every attack that comes your way is unlike anything I've experienced before.

But the game is absolutely beautiful and the performance issues were wildly overblown. And I found an area that totally makes up for the sameyness of the immediate overworld

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I did Margit at level 28 with a +5 battle axe. No regrets. My time was better spent enjoying the map than tickling a boss in between his 14-hit combos. Plenty of time for challenge runs later.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jumping attack is your way inside with big weapons and you can also afford to pop a block with a big weapon in ER. You still hurt but not nearly as much as dark souls.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
How loving big is the first area?!? I've yet to reach the borders of the map and I keep finding poo poo. Is this game front loaded and the other areas are tiny or something?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

this game has won the title of the souls game that made me yell gently caress you at my tv the most.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I didn’t really care that much for Sekiro so them ignoring that is a plus for me.

Hopefully it stays dead

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VictualSquid posted:

I have one with 10 Str. Beast Crest. I think it was in a treasure chest in a solider camp, iirc east of where you get the jellyfish, or maybe the horse.

Where jellyfish :saddowns:

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
The quickstep ash of war let's you dodge like Bloodborne for a small amount of FP, I loving love it.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

But then your playing Nioh and who wants that

Me. Nioh 2 fuckin' ruled. There was so much more give and take to the fighting, and you could be really creative with your weapon choices and combos. I liked that there weren't many i-frames to the dodges to encourage doing poo poo other than trying to abuse dodges for everything.

It had some warts (so many enemies have a bullshit grab attack... And once you know what you're doing you can really roll up a lot of bosses), but man, it felt good to aim a bow or a gun and it didn't just clip onto the ledge at your feet or stray wildly from your crosshair.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
So, the Beastman fight in an early cave. I'm not crazy, that's the orphan of kos move set. Right?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Pollyanna posted:

Where jellyfish :saddowns:

One bonfire north of where you get the horse.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, is our multiplayer password all caps?

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Lakbay posted:

How loving big is the first area?!? I've yet to reach the borders of the map and I keep finding poo poo. Is this game front loaded and the other areas are tiny or something?

All of the areas are absolutely massive from what I've seen. I've been transported around by treasure chests and gateways just noodling around and exploring and the map just keeps getting bigger.

I chose a Confessor start and have been pumping faith and I gotta say, getting this fist weapon that is just glowing words that I stab people with has made that an excellent choice.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Maybe it's just me, but I feel like I do pretty okay clearing a dungeon, but then I get to the end boss and just get BODIED.

I dunno if I've spread myself too thin, don't have enough tools in the toolkit yet, or what, but this is like the 3rd dungeon in a row I've decided to come back to the boss later when I don't get two-shot.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Oscar Wild posted:

So, the Beastman fight in an early cave. I'm not crazy, that's the orphan of kos move set. Right?

Orphan of Kos is now potentially the first boss you encounter lol hes parry good to an extent that Orphan wasn’t

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Appoda posted:

Me. Nioh 2 fuckin' ruled. There was so much more give and take to the fighting, and you could be really creative with your weapon choices and combos. I liked that there weren't many i-frames to the dodges to encourage doing poo poo other than trying to abuse dodges for everything.

It had some warts (so many enemies have a bullshit grab attack... And once you know what you're doing you can really roll up a lot of bosses), but man, it felt good to aim a bow or a gun and it didn't just clip onto the ledge at your feet or stray wildly from your crosshair.

Well good thing it’s a game that already exists keep it over there