Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mokotow posted:

Ukrainian cat transport underway

The cat seems surprisingly chill about all of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

It must have been something. He was almost as all-in on talk to Putin as scholz and now he’s the only leader to pull the big trigger

Now, there's reports that France is offering him asylum at their embassy, if it comes to the worst, but I haven't seen anything official.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

That is an extremely Ukrainian cat

I suddenly have the urge to go look for some Vyshyvanka-wearing cats.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

Mokotow posted:

What's its name? (Ideally in Cyrillic)

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Not trying to Clancychat or anything, but if things were going badly for Russia, would they resort to using a nuke to break up the Ukraine resistance, since NATO isn't involved?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Would we have reason to assume they have their full capacity?

We do not have any good reasons. There are various modifications (for instance, airborne hospital), and the troop transporters have various deck configurations, depending on the composition of people and vehicles that they're transporting. This is entirely guesswork, and I would eyeball total civilian losses using 100 (pulling this out of my rear end, but with some sophistication).

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

. After the war both reverted to producing tractors, which Kharkiv does to this day. Or did, anyway.

So this is what they gave Belarus for their support

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Mustard Iceman posted:

In other words, every remotely queer person in Ukraine.

Yeah, I could see Putin trying to organize a collaboration government/movement using LGBT and other minority groups as scapegoats. Hell, he'd only need a few "concerned parents" to normalize this poo poo.

"Putin is restoring the rights of Christian values lost in the ILLEGAL WESTERN COUP in 2014. True patriots will join Russia to preserve YOUR culture!"

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

Not trying to Clancychat or anything, but if things were going badly for Russia, would they resort to using a nuke to break up the Ukraine resistance, since NATO isn't involved?

absolutely not

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

NATO would immediately get involved upon the detonation of a nuke in Ukraine as would literally every other country. That’s like the one thing that could even remotely lead to the China taking Siberia clancychat from earlier

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Omon Ra posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely a "masks off" moment for zealous American leftists. No better than the extreme right, just bloodthirsty, clueless morons all around.

It has, quite literally, been this way forever. American leftists, particularly in the educated professional class, form every single global affairs position by starting from "The west is bad and evil" and work their way backward from that, rather than taking into consideration almost anything else. I have lost an absolutely astounding amount of respect for people in my personal social circles over the last few days simply because of this. It's disheartening as hell to watch while Ukrainians fight and die for rights and liberties these people have had and take for granted their whole lives, while listening to them spout the disinformation peddled by their murderers with no irony whatsoever.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

the BfV got coopted by neo-nazis and also comprehensively dunked on by Al Qaeda, so the BND is trying to reclaim the incompetence crown

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Russian VDV brigades, strictly speaking, are DShB. I thought it was obvious that I'm using "VDV" as a generic shorthand for "air assault forces".

DHsV is an acronym is Ukrainian, VdV in Russian.
Russian airborne forces are Vozdushno-desantnye voyska Rossii. What is is DShB?

We are using the same unit names for different countries, making no distinction whatsoever, even if the language is different.

It is pedantic at best. But it screams to me that we are playing fast and loose with terms, situations and confusing people.

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Willo567 posted:

Putin is not Gandhi from Civ2

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Grammarchist posted:

Yeah, I could see Putin trying to organize a collaboration government/movement using LGBT and other minority groups as scapegoats. Hell, he'd only need a few "concerned parents" to normalize this poo poo.

"Putin is restoring the rights of Christian values lost in the ILLEGAL WESTERN COUP in 2014. True patriots will join Russia to preserve YOUR culture!"

Putin is making an effort to be the 21st century's Hitler

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mokotow posted:

Goon speed to this cat and its owners

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/travisallen02/status/1496922611921600517?s=21

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

NomChompsky posted:

It has, quite literally, been this way forever. American leftists, particularly in the educated professional class, form every single global affairs position by starting from "The west is bad and evil" and work their way backward from that, rather than taking into consideration almost anything else. I have lost an absolutely astounding amount of respect for people in my personal social circles over the last few days simply because of this. It's disheartening as hell to watch while Ukrainians fight and die for rights and liberties these people have had and take for granted their whole lives, while listening to them spout the disinformation peddled by their murderers with no irony whatsoever.

The american army is carrying exponentially more bodies than any other army on the planet and you morons are cheer leading the current war lmao

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

NomChompsky posted:

It’s why American leftists are incapable of making progress in the US. The foundation of their principles is not only trash, but they are unable or unwilling to recognize they benefit from being in the US and part of that power structure in the first place. They give zero loyalty or support to their country. It’s why generic liberals and independents are at least intellectually honest and consistent. It’s just baffling watching folks twist themselves into knots trying to support Putin and Russia as the aggressors. It’s just one step away from “if she wasn’t dressed that way…” bullshit.

I can deal with the qanon stuff, that’s obvious disinformation and folks are falling for it. But when you have self proclaimed leftist thinkers who gobble up Kremlin propaganda, I just don’t know how to tell them their brains are broken. It just seems like maybe they should spend some time in an actual oppressed country so they can be thankful they can whine about things on Twitter without being murdered in their sleep.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

khwarezm posted:

What would he even do with him? Killing him would just make him a martyr. Sticking him in a cell seems particularly gauche in this day and age but then I suppose I shouldn't put that past Putin considering... everything.

I think Putin's best option is to hope he flees the country.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1497079265434685470

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace

Mokotow posted:

This cat is cool.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

The american army is carrying exponentially more bodies than any other army on the planet and you morons are cheer leading the current war lmao

Two wrongs do not a Russian justification for invading Ukraine make.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

I'm actually impressed that Zelensky is still in Ukraine. That takes guts, and he's probably going to suffer for it. Considering his background he's doing about as well as can be expected in this sort of situation.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

khwarezm posted:

I'm wondering what the overall casualty rates are like because it seems like its been a really intense couple of days, like in this tweet just posted:
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497389484362461187

Somebody in comments mentioned that there are potentially hundreds of of troops on those transports. If it really was shot down that could be as many Russians killed as the all of the British deaths in the Falklands war or coalition deaths in the initial conquest of Iraq.

Yes.

From an analytical prospective 4 engined transports going down should leave a lot of wreckage, so we'll know if this claim is true or not soon.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Edit: Not editing it out but he claim below is almpst certainly either untrue or overstated

God drat gen z just don't have the patience for prolonged military engagements because of the tik toks. Lazy asses can only take a couple days of being hungry and under fire before they try to do poo poo like "get food" and "steal civilian clothes so they can run away"

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1497327922901782528?t=FK0Tie6KQyeVc4cbXh3e2A&s=19

Fuckin kids these days

KitConstantine fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Feb 26, 2022

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

God drat gen z just don't have the patience for prolonged military engagements because of the tik toks. Lazy asses can only take a couple days of being hungry and under fire before they try to do poo poo like "get food" and "steal civilian clothes so they can run away"

https://twitter.com/AdamParkhomenko/status/1497327922901782528?t=FK0Tie6KQyeVc4cbXh3e2A&s=19

Fuckin kids these days

Isn’t this guy the lunatic Hillary dead ender?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Willo567 posted:

Much more likely they'll use their arsenal of conventional weapons to level cities and drop the pretense of being "surgical"

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Terminal autist posted:

Who gives a gently caress about America, this is between Russia and the Ukrainian people. gently caress the whataboutism, gently caress excusing every crime under the premise of "but America".

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Cirvot posted:

I feel like it's worth pointing out again that leftists being pro-Putin is not a thing in Europe. The only Putin support you will find there is among the far right shitheads.

So this seems to be largely a US phenomenon. Why this is I cannot say for certain but I would vager it has something to do with the US never having had a proper mainstream left movement. The US left is also a pretty young movement compared to the European one, which had to deal with and learn from these kind of situations during the world wars and cold war of the 1900s. A mature left would never take the side of the invading authoritarian major power in a conflict like this and it's quite hard to look at the US leftist movment acting so naively in the matter, but it's understandable in the way that the left in most of the rest of the world has about 100+ years on their US counterparts.

This is absolutely not true sadly. I have seen a fair of Danish leftist being pro Putin and Denmarks most leftwing newspaper "Arbejderen" [the worker] have bent over backwards to explain why the invasion was in fact the united states and Nato's fault.
The majority on the left aren't supporting Putin, but there are definitely parts that are pro anything that opposes the u.s. including being pro Putin and pro Assad for that matter.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
https://twitter.com/NewVoiceUkraine/status/1497404109552562178

All fog of war caveats apply, but this isn't the first news I've read of tonight's Kyiv assault not going so well for Russia.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

CommieGIR posted:

Two wrongs do not a Russian justification for invading Ukraine make.

Putin is an evil bastard.

quarantinethepast posted:

Who gives a gently caress about America, this is between Russia and the Ukrainian people. gently caress the whataboutism, gently caress excusing every crime under the premise of "but America".

The fact of the matter is were living in the American world order I wish my countries opinion didnt matter and had no power to affect change in the situation. If some random council member in NYC take matters thats bad

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

KitConstantine posted:

Fuckin kids these days

Yeah, like that Russian kid wandering around out in the middle of nowhere that the Ukrainian (farmer?) confronted. I was wondering, "Where the gently caress is this kid's unit? Is he separated? Is he lost? By himself?"

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

https://twitter.com/NewVoiceUkraine/status/1497404109552562178

All fog of war caveats apply, but this isn't the first news I've read of tonight's Kyiv assault not going so well for Russia.

I've been watching the live camera for a little while and the sounds of combat largely died down around that time so maybe there's something to it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

Right so lets focus on that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Orthanc6 posted:

As a life-long super lefty, this has always baffled me. The only explanation I can think of for where these apologists come from is that people really can't process the idea that being against one thing, in their case American imperialism, does not mean that the opposing side is suddenly your best friend. In simpler words, Tankies are baffling in their stupidity.

Like honestly, those sorts of hot takes are indistinguishable from what I'd expect from a Russian troll farm agent. Worse since they're not even being paid by Putin to do it most of the time.

"gently caress YOU DAD"

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

hump day bitches! posted:

Isn’t this guy the lunatic Hillary dead ender?

He is indeed, yes. Also worked with Basta-man!

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Terminal autist posted:

Case and point.

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Terminal autist posted:

I think we all agree on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

Russians trying to take another airport, hard to say how it's going

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497389484362461187?t=09grdnywDQBLQolF1H72UQ&s=19

Also Russia was using mechanical turks to aid their targeting. Gives some credence to the claims I've seen that Russian saboteurs are marking buildings for airstrikes/specific handling

https://twitter.com/hiddenmarkov/status/1497351111656751109?t=WHIHzLIYsho7FnjVDBK0GQ&s=19

Like we were discussing yesterday, this is literally a capital offense under the current Geneva Protocols. Doing one of these tasks would put someone in the "Spy or Saboteur" category of unlawful combatant and--not a comment on the right or wrongness of it--Ukrainian soldiers would be within their rights under the Geneva Conventions to shoot you right there and then if they caught you.

Hell of a thing to risk for from 35 cents to $3.25.