Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Flesnolk posted:

Guys I already acknowledged the mistake, stop piling on

Not the greatest moment to remind us how close we got from living under orange putin

or stuputin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Flesnolk posted:

Guys I already acknowledged the mistake, stop piling on

i mean the thing to do if you don't want people to correct you about something further up the page is to edit your post so that people know someone answered your question

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

cinci zoo sniper posted:

There definitely have been some defections, but 10 teenagers out of 200k army losing their marbles isn't particularly consequential. We don't have good evidence for like companies or platoons systemically folding anywhere.
I thought there were a couple of platoons but like that's just noise on this scale. Even if this was going well you'd probably get the occasional unit that has bad luck or fucks things up.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

acidx posted:

https://twitter.com/SputnikInt/status/1497381414588715009?t=0tBhkxXigS3zAykS8U3O0w&s=19

I wonder if they started off being careful about target selection and are lowering their standards, or if it's been pretty indiscriminate bombing in the first place. Either way it's obvious that they're starting to feel the need to build the foundation to explain away civilian casualties.

Wait is the Russian envoy seriously that glowering bald guy who looks like he's from central casting for "frightening dystopian bureaucrat" mixed with "thuggish bar patron"?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Relevant Tangent posted:

i mean the thing to do if you don't want people to correct you about something further up the page is to edit your post so that people know someone answered your question

I did that too :V

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Nessus posted:

I thought there were a couple of platoons but like that's just noise on this scale. Even if this was going well you'd probably get the occasional unit that has bad luck or fucks things up.

There were some stories, but nothing I would describe as well sourced.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

CommieGIR posted:

For those who want it or those who donated to the relief thread, we are working on a gangtag by goon Loden Taylor

I donated and would like the tag

Glory to Ukraine

edit: whoa i was way behind and see i should post in the donation thread, my b

Glimm fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Feb 26, 2022

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

SUNKOS posted:

The way they're just running with the food and don't seem to give a drat about anything else makes me wonder if there have been any Russian defections since the war started? Surely there must be some conscripts who've thought "Screw this" and laid down arms while pleading to take shelter? Obviously not possible for any that have family or want to return to Russia but I do wonder if any have decided not to fight and are just trying to survive until it's all over?

Definitely.

Dessertion is fairly common and if you kept you mouth shut, and didn’t post to social media, difficult to distinguish from being captured.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
No, pan Bondarenko, I expect you to die.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

SUNKOS posted:

I never thought I would ever see something like this from the Tories. The buried Russia Report must be utterly damning if they're willing to do this to keep themselves in power.

No Tory involvement - is a call by the Mayor of London (who is Labour), and twitter account is a former labour MP (convicted for expenses fraud).

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Terminal autist posted:

The american army is carrying exponentially more bodies than any other army on the planet and you morons are cheer leading the current war lmao

A conservative estimate of Russian casualties on the Eastern Front is twenty million. Even with the mass bombing of Germany and the fire bombing of Japan (H and N are both eclipsed by the Tokyo Raid) the United States does not come close. America is a bunch of coup happy genocidal imperialists at worst, but misguided hyperbole just makes you look dumb.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Interview on an Independent Russian News channel with an anti-war Russian journalist who won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2021.

https://twitter.com/NoahSneider/status/1497162699234746371?t=r5cbB16PjAsQRgFyWgC-Lw&s=19

Translation (unverified):

https://twitter.com/varesnn/status/1497268307203956746?t=BlDKDgLsWo_DNaYtVdGw-A&s=19

They both seem to be taking a risk airing this.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Glimm posted:

I donated and would like the tag

Glory to Ukraine

:siren: Gangtag requests must be posted to the donation thread. Even if you didn't donate - gangtags are free to request by deadline, which is in about 24 hours.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3994478

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Grape posted:

Wait is the Russian envoy seriously that glowering bald guy who looks like he's from central casting for "frightening dystopian bureaucrat" mixed with "thuggish bar patron"?

He is indeed. Really sold the faux outrage too.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

hump day bitches! posted:

Definitely.

Dessertion is fairly common and if you kept you mouth shut, and didn’t post to social media, difficult to distinguish from being captured.

This typo brings to my mind chubby deserters looting varenyky and babkas.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
There is a crazy Molotov video in the GBS thread.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

A few pages back there were a few comments about a hospital (or two?) being attacked - is there any more info on that or has it been confirmed?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497414994455056387

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Natty Ninefingers posted:

A conservative estimate of Russian casualties on the Eastern Front is twenty million.

Soviet. Not Russian. There were an awful lot of non-Russians in that number. Like, say, Ukrainians.

Nowher
Nov 29, 2019

pack your bags
I'd love to know what Russia's allies really think about this invasion. Especially after China's abstention vote and Kazakhstan shooting down the possibility of sending troops.

Is there anyone really on board or is it just Belarus? I imagine secretly many think Putin has lost his loving mind...

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

freeasinbeer posted:

Its from 2014. The fighting has likely gotten serious enough that no one is prioritizing filming.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Nowher posted:

I'd love to know what Russia's allies really think about this invasion. Especially after China's abstention vote and Kazakhstan shooting down the possibility of sending troops.

Is there anyone really on board or is it just Belarus? I imagine secretly many think Putin has lost his loving mind...

It's getting really empty at the bench.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

A few pages back there were a few comments about a hospital (or two?) being attacked - is there any more info on that or has it been confirmed?

I skipped watching video of the first incident (I think it was Grads, but I’m not certain), but the second incident was some nondescript large calibre fire hitting a hospital ward, including a thermobaric round into one of the rooms.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

SourKraut posted:

https://www.hrw.org/news/2022/02/25/ukraine-russian-cluster-munition-hits-hospital

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

freeasinbeer posted:

That seems like it was from Euromaidan in 2014.

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

SUNKOS posted:

I see people are questioning the validity of this but if one of the replies about Ukrainian MOD telling people to sabotage fuel with sugar is true then I hope a good amount of them fall for it.

Are most Ukrainians taking shelter underground now? Given the conscription and guns being handed out like candy while so much footage on Twitter has been Ukrainians filming from their homes, I would have imagined that if this were true there would be a lot of Russian deaths from invading homes to find occupiers waiting with guns at the ready?

Definitely paints a very desperate picture however and if true is more fuel for the theory that Putin thought the invasion would be easy. It's difficult to know for sure obviously but I wouldn't be surprised if he genuinely thought the first day would have been a huge success and didn't plan for anything extended. If Ukrainians are well fed and supplied while Russians are already scavenging for supplies then :stare:

There is so much of this nonsense all over social media and it’s remarkable how people are just eating it up. I’m sure we all would like to see Ukraine successfully defend and repel this invasion but it’s pretty frightening, especially with the increased societal awareness of disinformation, how easily people are willing to accept a lot of this information uncritically and repeat it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

freeasinbeer posted:

Just quote the post with the video. If it’s NMS or something, tag your post and edit the video out of the quote - just leave it so that it’s easy to click and go watch.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Grape posted:

That seems like it was from Euromaidan in 2014.

It is. Please can we not boost videos that have no clear origin.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
E: Was Euromaidan, not current. Withdrawn.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 26, 2022

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

That's the Euromaidan video.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
that video is cool but it's not from 2022 :(

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

That looks like Maidan to me, are you certain?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

""
Ukrainian army says another Il-76 shotdown near Bila Tserkva, and 60 saboteurs detained at Troeschyna
""

drat the Ukrainians sure know how to blow people up

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cinci zoo sniper posted:

That looks like Maidan to me, are you certain?

My bad!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
What is this even supposed to mean?

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1497322555895656453

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Its supposed to be vague and threatening.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Oh no, where will I order my babushka dolls from

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chest beating. The mood she’s trying to create is that benevolent Russia is running out of patience.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
drat, Russia is mad at the west? I'm not sure how to process this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Popete posted:

drat, Russia is mad at the west? I'm not sure how to process this.

Someone hurt their feefees