Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Made it to (2nd boss) Godfrey. HOLY poo poo that 2nd phase cutscene owned so hard. God drat this game is so good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone know the answer to this previous post I made?

look at the weapon in the inventory (not the equipment screen) and then mash the button listed at the bottom that says "change middle screen", it'll bring up the weapon description and skill description

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Cowcaster posted:

the other classes start with more stuff than just a club

That's true, but that only really matters when you fight the tutorial boss. After that you can quickly pick up a sword, get some armor drops (or buy them) and there are lots of free weapons not that far away that you can just pick up. So my impression is that the class is only harder for an extremely brief time at the very very beginning, then it's at parity with everything else.

The only thing I can imagine is that the rune cost for increasing stats starts at the same amount for everyone regardless of starting level, for example, the cost for a stat at level 20 for a wretch is one thing, but for say Warrior it's cheaper since they start at a higher level. Unless the cost is tied to your level no matter what you play, and not tied to how many times you've increased it.

There are some things I still need to learn. Like I got this golden halberd, and my eyes are watering at the stats required simply to equip it. With that kind of investment it would suck infinite balls to find out it's not that great.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Advice for anyone who needs a little oomph for zero build commitment, the lordsworns straight sword stance heavy attack hits insanely hard and does massive poise damage.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Harrow posted:

and one is available very close to the start.

Do you remember where? I’ve been hoping for one to pop up.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

frogbs posted:

I have a launch Xbox One, is Elden Ring still worth playing on it, or should I hold out until I get a Series X/S or PS5?

Just realized that if I buy it for my Xbox One, i'd probably be able to play it on my Series S/X whenever I get one, right? We're in a 'buy once, get all versions' for Xbox scenario I think...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
my first two times trying to kill magrit i got him to a loving sliver before he killed me/tossed me off the roof edge

third time he killed me he was also on a sliver of health but I brought the jellyfish an he die of poison after my 'you died' text faded out and i got the souls/kill. gently caress yeah

really enjoying the greatsword and jumping attacks, right up until the next boss run where there are two of those hooded firebirds. god gently caress those things.

Need a quicker weapon to deal with em, but i've literally put all my money (stones) on the greatsword pony

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
gently caress BEAR

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Anno posted:

Do you remember where? I’ve been hoping for one to pop up.

It's in the ruins in the lake right by where you start. Southwest corner of Lake Agheel. Dragon-Burnt Ruins on the map. You'll need to use your horse to double-jump over a wall to find the entrance to where the weapon is.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
ahahaha, i start running away from this rapier dude who can one shot me, I'm way deep in this castle mostly just randomly snooping around, but everything I can kill gives lots of XP so I keep corpse running back. I was going to head back to grace with my runes, but had to get away first. Dude chase me into a new area, I'm rolling around and dashing and I lose him finally... only to find myself in the middle of a special scenery that very clearly will be a bo--- boss spawns on a fuckin horse, walks by and kills me

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im finding that even more than DS3 there's a lot of value in using running to space out and punish attacks especially with jumping attacks, the windows for getting attacks off after rolling sometimes seem even more narrow than anything before.

Jaytan
Dec 14, 2003

Childhood enlistment means fewer birthdays to remember

Scruffpuff posted:

That's true, but that only really matters when you fight the tutorial boss. After that you can quickly pick up a sword, get some armor drops (or buy them) and there are lots of free weapons not that far away that you can just pick up. So my impression is that the class is only harder for an extremely brief time at the very very beginning, then it's at parity with everything else.

The only thing I can imagine is that the rune cost for increasing stats starts at the same amount for everyone regardless of starting level, for example, the cost for a stat at level 20 for a wretch is one thing, but for say Warrior it's cheaper since they start at a higher level. Unless the cost is tied to your level no matter what you play, and not tied to how many times you've increased it.

There are some things I still need to learn. Like I got this golden halberd, and my eyes are watering at the stats required simply to equip it. With that kind of investment it would suck infinite balls to find out it's not that great.

Going to level N costs the same for all classes regardless of what level they started at. Wretch is the worst class to play from a min max perspective because all their attributes starting at 10 is suboptimal for basically every build -- generally there are multiple stats you dont want to invest a single point in, so having them all even is not ideal. Just to be clear this isn't really a big deal unless you're very interested in optimal PvP builds.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

holy gently caress siofra river

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yo (post 2nd boss) is this Patches? Just called me a mate and is beating on the boss I just killed. Saying poo poo like now he can do whatever he wants… This is patches, right? he’s going to gently caress me over, right?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

CYBEReris posted:

im finding that even more than DS3 there's a lot of value in using running to space out and punish attacks especially with jumping attacks, the windows for getting attacks off after rolling sometimes seem even more narrow than anything before.

Yeah, I just fought a dog man in one of those eternal jails and guard counters and and rolling could often leave me in a bad place. But spacing myself and jumping onto his face was both safe and effective.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jaytan posted:

Going to level N costs the same for all classes regardless of what level they started at. Wretch is the worst class to play from a min max perspective because all their attributes starting at 10 is suboptimal for basically every build -- generally there are multiple stats you dont want to invest a single point in, so having them all even is not ideal. Just to be clear this isn't really a big deal unless you're very interested in optimal PvP builds.

OK here we go, this is good info. So aside from PVP is it likely I'll actually have trouble completing this game because of this, or does a reasonable buildup of relevant stats from this point forward work out ok for the regular game?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Scruffpuff posted:

OK here we go, this is good info. So aside from PVP is it likely I'll actually have trouble completing this game because of this, or does a reasonable buildup of relevant stats from this point forward work out ok for the regular game?

Now that you got out of the starting hump of having no gear, you are no better or worse off than anyone else when it comes to just playing the game normally. The main reason people say that new players shouldn't pick the wretch is just because it can be brutal not having any gear at the start.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

aw yeah cool very fun very happy with this

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So was wondering if anyone knows if the unique/boss weapon upgrade smithing stones are limited or if I can farm them later? Want to know if I can use them early.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Okay I think I finished Limgrave and went north to Liurna and it definitely doesn't seem as dense with activities, mostly enemy patrols, but I'm probably missing a ton of stuff anyways.

With how freakishly high some of these weapon requirements are, like I have some special weapons that have 3 stat requirements, I'm guessing the game is expecting you to reach a very high level

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CYBEReris posted:

i'm mostly fighting bosses now by figuring out the rough position i need to be in to manipulate the AI into giving me specific attacks that have more than a half second window to punish

strongly considering rerolling and going whole hog into magic because these fights are getting unimaginably tedious

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Now that you got out of the starting hump of having no gear, you are no better or worse off than anyone else when it comes to just playing the game normally. The main reason people say that new players shouldn't pick the wretch is just because it can be brutal not having any gear at the start.

OK that's what I figured. I partly picked it because people said not to (I guess I'm a slave to basic human counter-authoritarian instinct, next time I'll wind up running into a burning building just to prove a point) but the other reason was that I liked the idea of having to make do with what I found along the way. And if I'm being honest, now that I'm over that hump, I kind of wish I'd just made a regular class anyway just to get their initial cool armor appearances.

I guess I'll find out what surprises await me along the way on the armor front.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I love how this game has me engaging in palm-sweaty battles with not-bosses like a big flower or a big pot & a dozen little pots

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

A Sometimes Food posted:

So was wondering if anyone knows if the unique/boss weapon upgrade smithing stones are limited or if I can farm them later? Want to know if I can use them early.

Wondering this too. I'd hate to blow these if the supply is globally fixed.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I literally don't know how to stop getting the "Cannot summon cooperators" error.

I got really close with Godrick though. Literally got him to 1/3 health before phase two, somehow. Still died thank you dark souls.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Khanstant posted:

I love how this game has me engaging in palm-sweaty battles with not-bosses like a big flower or a big pot & a dozen little pots

i've gained newfound respect for crab and lobsters.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I literally don't know how to stop getting the "Cannot summon cooperators" error.

I got really close with Godrick though. Literally got him to 1/3 health before phase two, somehow. Still died thank you dark souls.

DS3 on PC had a similar issue with matchmaking for most of its early life (and probably most of the rest of its life, knowing from), and i imagine the combination of immense matchmaking server load + them having to slap easy anti-cheat onto the game after the RCE came out isn't helping

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also the game feels very different once you stop worrying that you should save all your resources and just happily roll around with your ghost squad as often as you can.

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think I've had them drop from normal soldier guys. Misread, thought it was talking about normal smithing shards.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Harrow posted:

I'm sorta feeling down on spellcasting in this, both Int and Faith. There's a much better variety of spells than ever, they look rad as gently caress, some of them even do good damage... but they take an eternity to cast and if an enemy so much as bumps into you you'll be interrupted. It feels like such a waste to make all these great spells and make them nearly impossible to use against anything that moves with any sort of speed (i.e. every dangerous enemy).

Dex decreases your cast time. I can usually make space and hit most bosses with a few casts of charged boulders for a lot of damage and poise. Three charged boulders (with 20 int mind you, nothing special) knocks bosses down for a critical.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Feb 26, 2022

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

this is the best game of all time. i stumbled across a dungeon but instead of baddies it was just full of turtles aka dogs and i got a turtle talisman that boosts my stamina. game of the year, game of the century, game of the willenium

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Anyone having any luck with invasions on PC? My game crashes about 90% of the time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha 14 hours into Elden Ring I have found the santa man and unlocked crafting and ability to summon people

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Also magic has its problems but getting your rear end kicked for like 20 minutes before you accidentally get them trapped on a door and then murdering them with fireballs is loving rad as gently caress.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

JBP posted:

Dex decreases your cast time. I can usually make space and hit most bosses with a few casts of charged boulders for a lot of damage and poise. Three charged boulders (with 20 int mind you, nothing special) knocks bosses down for a critical.

I'm curious how big of an effect Dex has on later-game spells because you would need to cut the cast time of some of these in half before they started to be practical to use compared to weapon arts. That's sort of the thing that has me scratching my head--there are weapon arts that do more damage in similar AoEs, with faster animations, poise, and less FP cost. It's mildly baffling.

Maybe there's equipment that mega-boosts spell damage or really speeds up casting or lets you resist being interrupted that nobody's found yet?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

You must conquer the birds bears

Also lmao holy poo poo the underground

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

You must conquer the birds bears

Also lmao holy poo poo the underground

Blew my mind when the elevator…just kept going down. And revealing more poo poo in the distance.

Colorspray
Aug 30, 2007

Just picked this up and toying with the mechanics. Was spamming double jump on horseback and realized, "Hey, you can delay it! I could use this to break my fall and get to that tease of a beach below!"

On torrents back, I took a valiant leap off the nearest cliff certain my newfound discovery would pay off.

I hope somebody sees that bloodstain - a lesson learned in not jumping to conclusions.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Blew my mind when the elevator…just kept going down. And revealing more poo poo in the distance.

I went back up and got the Smough Butt Slam. A friend started screaming about a dragon

This area owns

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Is it possible to purchase fire arrows from a vendor in infinite quantities? Or poison, or bleed. Really anything other than just "regular arrow".

If so, where is the vendor for that? I feel like I've seen one, but I couldn't tell you where.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Flytrap posted:

gently caress BEAR

The bears are such massive assholes. Fortunately the wolf summon helps a lot cause somehow the bear has bad aoe.