Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
What is it with the dictator template and so many of them making it very (eventually) plausible that they're in a chemically dependent realm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What I don't get is what does Russia even stand to gain from controlling Ukraine? It's one of the poorest countries in Europe and this war is going to likely result in mass refugee exodus along with possible destruction of infrastructure. There may be insurgent violence and saboteurs for years to come that Russia will have to deal with. On top of the many crisis Russia is already facing it seems like it's just another burden to try and hold onto Ukraine at this point and no one is going to be doing business with Ukraine well it's occupied.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Holy poo poo, I didn't believe it. That's like 200-300 dead Russian paratroopers

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1497431853531381762

Tweet has been deleted, I guess the evidence didn't hold up?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it is super unlikely this thing goes on a couple more weeks, the longer it does the more the people of ukraine will suffer from lack of food, at which point the ukraine government will have to capitulate if putin doesn't give up first

this would be a big loss for russia regardless because the whole point of this shitshow was to persuade ukraine to bend the knee at gunpoint, not beat the gently caress out of each other in full view of the world until one submits. hard to look like a competent strongman when the smaller guy you were picking on just knocked your teeth out

Popete posted:

What I don't get is what does Russia even stand to gain from controlling Ukraine?

russia doesn't want to conquer ukraine, they just want to install a pro-russian compliant government, and probably decentralize ukraine so that independent oblasts aka the russian-speaking parts of the country are more aligned with russia than ukraine

after that, the rest of ukraine can go on being poor as poo poo as long as they're more closely aligned with moscow than brussels

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pook Good Mook posted:

Does anyone know if Russia has an issue with munitions numbers the way that France did in the bombing campaign against Libya? France and Italy basically had to beg the United States to give them airborne munitions because their stockpiles started running out. Does anyone know if Russia has that same issue with some of their heavier weapons?

I'm pretty sure they don't have a deep supply of precision munitions at least, so for that and other reasons I think this thing is going to get uglier the longer it goes on. Cruise missiles are probably too expensive to throw around forever too, but I don't think big dumb bombs are particularly costly.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Popete posted:

What I don't get is what does Russia even stand to gain from controlling Ukraine? It's one of the poorest countries in Europe and this war is going to likely result in mass refugee exodus along with possible destruction of infrastructure. There may be insurgent violence and saboteurs for years to come that Russia will have to deal with. On top of the many crisis Russia is already facing it seems like it's just another burden to try and hold onto Ukraine at this point and no one is going to be doing business with Ukraine well it's occupied.

Putin is trying to go after Russian/Soviet territorial borders of decades and centuries ago. The only thing to gain is past pride.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I genuinely hope Putin puts himself in a position to be Mussolini'd

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Kavros posted:

What is it with the dictator template and so many of them making it very (eventually) plausible that they're in a chemically dependent realm

It's a high stress job

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Putin's goal is to quickly capture Kiev with minimal violence. Simply having a much larger more powerful military just isn't enough and the longer the war drags the worse it's going to get. The last thing Putin wants is long drawn occupation with an active slow burning insurgency that never ends. He wants to rule Ukraine but knows that going about it by destroying the Country in the process won't work because the entire population will hate him even more.

His first move was to essentially "back cap" the enemy base and that failed. It looks like they've greatly underestimated the Ukrainian armed forces. I say if the war drags on over the summer, it's a failure.

It definitely looks increasingly like Putin's plan was to sack/ruin Kiev and dismantle the government long enough to seize some strip of land from Transnistria to Donbass, with the stretch goal of a puppet government ruling out of Kiev. The government collapsing would allow them to more easily occupy what they want at minimal cost and leave the rest to the dogs.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A big flaming stink posted:

Tweet has been deleted, I guess the evidence didn't hold up?

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1497440267829399553

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Despera posted:

It's a high stress job

Stimulants don't really help you with that!!

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
:thunk:
https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1497401361893183496

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Small White Dragon posted:

NPR was saying that Putin has been working to sanction-proof parts of the Russian economy. Details for anyone interested:
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/25/1083051388/putins-big-bet-sanction-proofing-russia

I was also thinking about ye olde end to ye olde autocrat if number does not go up.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks!

I don't think we can take America at its word here, they are directly opposed to Russia's interests in this conflict, after all.

e: also, pasta as but the talk of capturing saboteurs had me kind of freaked out they're just targeting russian-speaking ukranians out of anger over the invasion, or even just settling old scores.

though I absolutely understand the necessity, just hanging out automatic rifles to anyone who asks for it is giving terrible for a countries long term stability

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 26, 2022

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's been an insanely busy day and I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. Can someone give me a short synopsis of what happened today?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Popete posted:

The plan is that it gets to keep the good parts (ports, farmland and coal extraction) while the remainder suffer as a rump state to stop showing Russians how they can exist without Putin's authoritarianism.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Kavros posted:

It's the same with anyone that is at a certain level of wealthy and/or powerful, you are surrounded by yes men and cease to live in reality. If you ever see interviews with people who were in that position and lose it, the bounce back to reality is not easy.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Celexi posted:

Stimulants don't really help you with that!!

Well you gotta give them the stimulants after gave them all the depressants to sleep. Think Elvis.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

it is super unlikely this thing goes on a couple more weeks, the longer it does the more the people of ukraine will suffer from lack of food, at which point the ukraine government will have to capitulate if putin doesn't give up first

this would be a big loss for russia regardless because the whole point of this shitshow was to persuade ukraine to bend the knee at gunpoint, not beat the gently caress out of each other in full view of the world until one submits. hard to look like a competent strongman when the smaller guy you were picking on just knocked your teeth out

russia doesn't want to conquer ukraine, they just want to install a pro-russian compliant government, and probably decentralize ukraine so that independent oblasts aka the russian-speaking parts of the country are more aligned with russia than ukraine

after that, the rest of ukraine can go on being poor as poo poo as long as they're more closely aligned with moscow than brussels

All that wheat looks good on the balance sheet too

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Thanks!

I don't think we can take America at its word here, they are directly opposed to Russia's interests in this conflict, after all.

Yeah, but they've gained a lot of credibility in the region by predicting the invasion. Why squander it now?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

AsInHowe posted:

Putin is trying to go after Russian/Soviet territorial borders of decades and centuries ago. The only thing to gain is past pride.

It’s revolutionary romanticism trying to reconstruct broken myths of origin.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Randarkman posted:

I genuinely hope Putin puts himself in a position to be Mussolini'd

I'd like to see him stand trial for war crimes, but I'm guessing he'd kill himself first.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Framboise posted:

It's been an insanely busy day and I haven't been able to keep up with the thread. Can someone give me a short synopsis of what happened today?

Russians getting their teeth kicked in, Ukrainians and Ukraine own.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
A chilling image on the cover of
@novaya_gazeta
’s current live coverage of the Russian invasion of Ukraine. Caption reads: “A dead Russian soldier beside a burnt armored vehicle in Kharkiv.” Photo by Sergey Kozlov / EPA.
https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497410056270360584

https://twitter.com/techz_dave/status/1497399518148521986

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Celexi posted:

Russians getting their teeth kicked in, Ukrainians and Ukraine own.

gently caress yeah.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
You know what's loving wild is that Stratfor jackass George Friedman predicted a wave of Russian aggression and a new Cold War because of its upcoming demographic crunch. He has been wrong about absolutely everything else but he called this one thing. Which, I guess, means Putin is huffing the same type of geopolitics gasoline

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Pook Good Mook posted:

Does anyone know if Russia has an issue with munitions numbers the way that France did in the bombing campaign against Libya? France and Italy basically had to beg the United States to give them airborne munitions because their stockpiles started running out. Does anyone know if Russia has that same issue with some of their heavier weapons?

it has crossed my mind that the Snake Island heroes might have literally gone "well, maybe we can waste some of their ammo shelling us to death", in addition to delaying a Russian warship and its marine contingent for half a day while it murdered a dozen people with outdated rifles

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

I could see Europe/US providing a lot of emergency aid to mitigate some of the food shortages. The nice thing for Ukraine is that the Poland -> Lviv corridor remains open and a good source of military and humanitarian aid.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but they've gained a lot of credibility in the region by predicting the invasion. Why squander it now?

difference between two unnamed sources and the agency reporting directly to the president, in my opinion.

I just simply believe that a country will never ever be honest about the state of the war while it is actually ongoing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Majorian posted:

Derek Davison, on his "American Prestige" podcast, brought up the fact that Putin has heavily isolated himself during the pandemic, and suggested it's possible that this changed his personality for the worse.

Putin crack pinged during covid and went open 19th century imperialism.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

KitConstantine posted:

Ukraine talking big in the wake of surviving the night, saying they might be the ones dictating terms

https://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/1497443132010606592?t=G088djU-5WoVMxY2ZFv4BA&s=19

Ukraine is nowhere even in the ballpark of setting conditions, but also lmao the balls on them for even suggesting that

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

Popete posted:

Military probably a demilitarized buffer state, or a militarized client state (or both by annexing a part). Strategically Putin doesn't want a large western-oriented democracy on its border and the long-term consequences that might have for autocratic regime stability in Russia. While Ukraine is quite poor and hasn't fared well after the Soviet era, it is also the "breadbasket of europe" and that's attractive if you're trying to sanction-proof your country. Additionally Ukraine is of symbolic importance as it had a strong cultural influence on USSR and still does in Russia. Russia still occupies 20% of Georgia after the 2008 Russo–Georgian War, and that was a fairly similar situation.

Delthalaz posted:

You know what's loving wild is that Stratfor jackass George Friedman predicted a wave of Russian aggression and a new Cold War because of its upcoming demographic crunch. He has been wrong about absolutely everything else but he called this one thing. Which, I guess, means Putin is huffing the same type of geopolitics gasoline
Putin held a speech very similar to the one he did before invading Ukraine in München in 2007, and the year after you had the war in Georgia. The think-tank/foreign policy community around NATO have been banging the drum about Putin and increased Russian aggression ever since. It never really penetrated the public debate space because Georgia is usually considered more a part of the Asian security realm than the European, and it was seen very unlikely that Putin would behave in the same manner towards the west.

Dante fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 26, 2022

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Thanks!

This is pretty facile given the way that the United States has pretty openly decided that the best way to gently caress with Russia is to tell the truth about what is going to happen--why would they not then tell the truth about what has happened? Is a troop transport worth burning the (surprising) credibility they've built?

It sure doesn't look like there are a ton of disputing stories nor grand victories from the Russian information services. They seem pretty quiet--not silent, but pretty quiet. That's what fascists do when they're afraid of looking weak.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497448650003423235?s=20&t=imn1tGR_jWGxYZlI7UtHmQ

Things ain't looking good.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

russia doesn't want to conquer ukraine, they just want to install a pro-russian compliant government,

Just to be clear that requires dismantling Ukrainian democracy and permanently suppressing the opposition by ending free speech/press and independence of the police and judiciary.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Well Sir, yes, Sir but I'd like to say we exercise complete control of Chernobyl and its environs.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah what reason would Ukraine's military have to lie about Russian casualty numbers? I'm on the 'this probably isn't going as well as Russia expected' train now, but literally no country can be trusted with casualty numbers in these conditions.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Halve those numbers and they're still bad, and RIP to half of a BUK-1 system I guess.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
This is pretty wild:
https://twitter.com/NikaMelkozerova/status/1497321798517489666?cxt=HHwWhICsscOPx8cpAAAA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
e: nm