Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

I feel like ogres blob easily but are way, way better used cycle charging and abusing their mass to charge one section of the enemy at a time. In a big blob.

Yeah, as Ogres you can oblique order where your heavy flank is all your ogres because they have 55ish speed. Hell, against a normal line you can do a legit fake-out by stopping 1/2 your line before the charge and just having them shift down to the side that did complete their charge, absolutely smash that flank and cannonball down the enemy line. I didn’t start to feel a need for better troops than regular Ogres for a very long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

God drat Ungrim makes you earn his trait

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
I assume befriending skaven as Cathay is great for the hirable units but those fuckers both hate me for my alliances with other Cathay factions and also have settlements in provinces I'd love to complete. Have y'all managed to ever reach good relations with them?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Eschatos posted:

I assume befriending skaven as Cathay is great for the hirable units but those fuckers both hate me for my alliances with other Cathay factions and also have settlements in provinces I'd love to complete. Have y'all managed to ever reach good relations with them?

as zhao i beat them down to one settlement and sacked it and they then accepted a peace deal + nap. then i just gave them cash every turn (repeated small gifts is better than medium / big gifts btw)

three caveats:
1. no dlc units
2. they're real dumb about their building chains, i never got gas grenades, warp fire, or warp lightning cannons
3. all of cathay will hate your loving guts so have fun killing everyone instead of confederating

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Grigor Kyriakin: My Horseman of Pestilence

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

AI made a doomstack, or whatever you want to call it, of Feral Mammoths. 14 feral mammoths, some champions and fimir, and a Lord and, like, a hero. I was really worried but actually they're complete pushovers. 3 died on approach before engaging "lines"

The far more dangerous enemy was the champions. Armored Kossars are just really weak it seems. Like, extremely flimsy. But Tzar guard are brick walls.

Kislev is very weird.

Excited to try Grand Cathay and play as The Correct Sibling.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When you think hybrid unit, you think it can do both melee and range.

What you should think is ranged unit that can almost melee. Or ranged unit that is less useless when it has no ammo.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Twigand Berries posted:

God drat Ungrim makes you earn his trait

That little fucker completely derailed my longest ogres campaign by taking out multiple camps with multiple slayer-based 20-stacks that the other AI factions didn’t even try to touch despite pretty much everybody being at war with him. gently caress you Ungrim you ginger mohawk piece of poo poo

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I dunno what it is but I always find myself severely underrating marauder champs.

Especially when loving Skeggi is making GBS threads them out on turn six.

Third World Reagan posted:

What you should think is why can't you guys be Sisters of Avelorn instead

e: we're watching the Witcher on netflix, it reminded me that Henry Cavill is a huge dweeb who loves Warhammer. I really wish they'd get him to voice a lord. Dude nails that goofy gruff witcher voice.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 26, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just banged out a couple cheevos on easy/easy as Miao Ying.

Wei-jin, capitol of Cathay, has only 8 slots like a regular province capitol, which seems like an oversight.

There's an achievement for building a the Grand Observatory of Xing Po, a special landmark in the eponymous minor settlement at level 3. Being able to trade cities helped, since capturing it increases the time until the project is done. I found an autosave had the best chance of making it work, but it might have been nice to be able to offer up an additional settlement to make it work.

Cathay seems good for diplomacy achievements because you meet so many potential friends by sending caravans.
Getting 10 trade agreements was a little tough. I was making a ton of money from caravans and just used it to balance the scales. However, each subsequent trade deal was harder to make, and I found that at a point, money just stops working for that. I'd add the trade agreement to the offer, add payment, and increase it. You could see the scale balance out as you hit the "increase" button, but at a certain point it wouldn't move. Luckily, offering to declare war on the 10th faction's enemies in addition to money sealed that deal.
No idea who'd be best for 10 military alliances. Maybe I'd wait for Immortal Empires to come out and hope End Times Ordertide happens there too.

I don't think you can buy confederations with money anymore, maybe because it didn't make too much sense. Someone complained a few days ago about being unable to confederate with Zhao Ming, and I see that being frustrating.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Speaking of treasure hunts (apologies if this was posted, i must have read over it)

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Wonder how much of their changes to tone down technologies and red-line skills is to accomodate the outpost system, since all the buffs to your faction's units in TWW2 made the occasional cross-faction unit availability such as Ogres less and less relevant as campaigns passed the early-game. I mean it doesn't explain why so many of the non-unit-related techs are tepid, nor do I think reducing all the numbers would be a great solution either, but still.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

can't imagine not thinking the ninja rats are the coolest dudes in my mature fantasy setting

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Wonder how much of their changes to tone down technologies and red-line skills is to accomodate the outpost system, since all the buffs to your faction's units in TWW2 made the occasional cross-faction unit availability such as Ogres less and less relevant as campaigns passed the early-game. I mean it doesn't explain why so many of the non-unit-related techs are tepid, nor do I think reducing all the numbers would be a great solution either, but still.

I'm personally happy with toning down skill buffs to everything, it just made the human vs AI difference much wider when the AI would take 6% reduced siege attrition skills while you took the big pile of stats to your best troops over and over.
But I also think it's a mix of wanting to tone it down and not testing everything thoroughly enough because of techs that give vanguard to units with vanguard or leadership to unbreakable units.

Third World Reagan posted:

What you should think is ranged unit that can almost melee. Or ranged unit that is less useless when it has no ammo.

What I dislike most about monstrous artillery units is every single shot seems to cause a extra tier of exhaustion in the unit, rendering their melee stats pretty bad by the time they fire a few shots.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i never liked stat buffs in general since they are often uneven, really warp the gameplay balance once you get enough, and just really don't actually do much.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah stat buffs are dull. Grom disappointed by being a goblin-focused leader, my poo poo, who just... makes goblins really good? They're supposed to be dying in droves. I don't want super buff goblins fighting chosen.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What I dislike most about monstrous artillery units is every single shot seems to cause a extra tier of exhaustion in the unit, rendering their melee stats pretty bad by the time they fire a few shots.

Yeah, never really got what the point of that is. There's already an ammo bar going down.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

But I also think it's a mix of wanting to tone it down and not testing everything thoroughly enough because of techs that give vanguard to units with vanguard or leadership to unbreakable units.

So, this is even more hosed up, apparently that tech in Khorne's tree that gives vanguard to his dogs (who already have it)? Yeah, that gives vanguard deployment to EVERYTHING IN THE ROSTER somehow. I didn't even realize this, but there's a post on Reddit about it: https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/t1lbhc/khorne_vanguard_tech_it_enables_vanguard_on_all/

I don't know if that's a bug, a really poorly worded tooltip, or just a mistake. But it's a thing.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Actually, "dogs" is just how Khorne calls all of his underlings. Therefore "dogs of Khorne" clearly means "every Khorne unit". :v:

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
What are your favourite factions, and why?

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Ogres cause big.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Collapsing Farts posted:

What are your favourite factions, and why?

only the ugliest motherfuckers or the prettiest princesses. If you're average, get the gently caress out (talking to you Karl, even though you're not even in the game yet)

gonna do Cathay then Nurgle for my next campaigns

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Ogres by far. They're simple, straightfoward, and just satisfying to win as.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

"Father loves me despite my...difficulties."

Come here and let me give you a hug, Zhao Ming. :smith:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I like cathay but only because they are a simple and bog standard human army.

Also I love rockets.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

"Father loves me despite my...difficulties."

Come here and let me give you a hug, Zhao Ming. :smith:

His mother still loves him the best. :unsmith:

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I am absolutely loving playing as slaanesh. Your marauders aren't anything to write home about but the ones with whips are actually very decent tanks, and the rest of your army is fast enough that you can really pull some sick tactical stuff off with distracting parts of the enemy army or having n'kari snipe critical enemy units that overextend.

I had a huge battle with skarbrand last night where I used an allurress on a steed to distract him and hit his army with pendulums while n'kari's forces arrived sa reinforcements. Even with n'kari 1v1ing skarbrand (Through stacking every debuff I had) the rest of his army full of chaos warriors, bloodletters and bloodcrushers were hard as nails and I had to squeak every possible rear charge and flank I could out of the fighting. I had 2 units of marauder horsemen with javelins and they pulled their weight by softening up a couple of units of blood crushers and a few khorne warriors before they reach my lines.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Yvonmukluk posted:

His mother still loves him the best. :unsmith:

*chuckles in Malekith*

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Doomykins posted:

Lots of cathay stuff

Wanted to thank you for taking the time to write this out my dude.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
What the gently caress is Clan Gnaw thinking? Yes let's settle in the Chaos Wastes, no obvious holes in this plan!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jokes posted:

AI made a doomstack, or whatever you want to call it, of Feral Mammoths. 14 feral mammoths, some champions and fimir, and a Lord and, like, a hero. I was really worried but actually they're complete pushovers. 3 died on approach before engaging "lines"

The far more dangerous enemy was the champions. Armored Kossars are just really weak it seems. Like, extremely flimsy. But Tzar guard are brick walls.

Kislev is very weird.

Excited to try Grand Cathay and play as The Correct Sibling.

Armored Kossars baffle me because, on paper, they look like perfectly solid line troops, but every single time I field them they die like flies and accomplish nothing; they don't even hold that well. They're like the White Lions of Kislev where they look like they should be perfectly serviceable but they just kind of suck huge rear end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Kanos posted:

Armored Kossars baffle me because, on paper, they look like perfectly solid line troops, but every single time I field them they die like flies and accomplish nothing; they don't even hold that well. They're like the White Lions of Kislev where they look like they should be perfectly serviceable but they just kind of suck huge rear end.

Yeah I'm coming around to this view. Regular armored ones actually do pretty well against the Roppsmenn just because most of your opponents are fielding hordes of archers and so units that come with armor, silver shields, and almost 50% more ranged damage to unarmored units do fairly well. And, if you let the Roppsmenn live long enough they start sending armored kossars your way and so great mace kossars are nice to have.

Of course normal kossars also do extremely well and cost less, and if you just push fast enough it doesn't become a problem anyway.

I'm not sure what they need or why they are underperforming relative to what I'd hope. I'm worried Streltsi will be the same.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
It might be because of their pistols? Less likely to get shots off, short range and low ammo. They have silver shields though.

I actually like skill and research boosts for units and really wish they were better. A lot are anemic or don't make sense. Like with Kislev they could have gone either/or with ranged vs melee buffs instead of weak all around increases.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Armoured kossars feel particularly like a whiff to me just because of regular kossars being a pretty solid cheap trash unit. Throwing cheap archers at the AI is still extremely good... and I can get them with spears?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

kanonvandekempen posted:

Speaking of treasure hunts (apologies if this was posted, i must have read over it)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Armored kossars feel like more of a sidegrade. I was thinking how they could make them more viable.

Maybe give them some shotgun like effect on their guns, and fire while moving. This would make them a really cool base assault unit that could advance as a tight phalanx and melt lighter armored clumped infantry but be a lot more survivable (armor, shields) than iron hail gunners.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The bloom effects sure do get... interesting at times: :psyduck:

Can barely even see my units

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Halt Faction is overtaking Transfer Settlement as my favourite Kairos' "Changing of the Ways" ability.

"Oh, you have 3 armies raiding and harassing one of my border regions that you plan on retreating the second I bring a serious army close?" Well, GUESS WHAT

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Chorf mechanics will include build-a-hat for your Lords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Construction: 2500g
Upkeep: 3200g
Hats: 10,800g
Diplomacy:600g

:byodood: "HELP ME MY KINGDOM IS DYING"
:v: "Spend less on hats."