Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

tweet is deleted, wonder what's really going on.

And loving hell, that tow you back to Russia guy is on point, along with drunk Grandpa and the dudes who ripped down the Russia flag. It all feels so surreal, like hungry kids wandering around during recess but with big useless tanks.

Thanks! Not much info there, but holding out hope Ukraine holds the line.

VorpalBunny fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So uh honest question?

Why are the Russians not going for ground assaults on Kyiv from their very clearly easy position of a few hundred kilometers from the border of Belarus, and not ya know, continuing to do these idiotic and risky airdrops that have yielded little gain so far?

How many of your transport planes need to be shot down before you realize you don't even have air superiority, let alone supremacy'?

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

TulliusCicero posted:

Why are the Russians not going for ground assaults on Kyiv from their very clearly easy position of a few hundred kilometers from the border of Belarus, and not ya know, continuing to do these idiotic and risky airdrops that have yielded little gain so far?

Maybe they just don't have the fuel for it? This seems like a half-assed assault.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

TulliusCicero posted:

So uh honest question?

Literally hundreds of Javelin and NLAWs sticking out from every brush and every window on any of the approaches.

But I do agree, from what we know their airborne success have so far not manifested itself. But we don't know what's happening on the ground, they might have a bridgehead.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Seems like the airborne divisions were told, "capture the airport" and they tried to do it with the bare minimum... twice... but hey, they can't go back and tell Putin "we can't take the airport with just paratroopers" so they are giving it a third go.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

TulliusCicero posted:

So uh honest question?

How many of your transport planes need to be shot down before you realize you don't even have air superiority, let alone supremacy'?

The whole thing has been odd. Most of the captured Russians look and act as if they were trained just yesterday. The sabotage groups wearing Ukraine uniforms. Seems like Russia is employing desperate tactics early. I would have expected one of the largest militaries in recorded history to be having more victories than they have.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
One thing that I had 100% expected on the third day of the invasion, was complete air superiority for the russians and the skies absolutely filled with fighters and CAS

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

TulliusCicero posted:

So uh honest question?

I think they know that if they tell a bunch of untrained poorly supplied conscripts to match into a Kiev their army is going to desert or mutiny, or best case be thoroughly defeated and forced to retreat. All the real fighting is being done by paratroopers but they are so outnumbered they can't hold anything they take.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/AlArabiya/status/1497492238867255296

It's interesting how many different angles we've seen of this strike, and how much different on the ground footage there's been in the immediate aftermath compared to all of the activity outside of Kiev so far.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Bridge layer wrecked

https://mobile.twitter.com/XyKyiv/status/1497494447285841923

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

cstang posted:

The whole thing has been odd. Most of the captured Russians look and act as if they were trained just yesterday. The sabotage groups wearing Ukraine uniforms. Seems like Russia is employing desperate tactics early. I would have expected one of the largest militaries in recorded history to be having more victories than they have.

I saw a video of a Russian soldier being detained by Ukrainian militia that seemed legit. He wasn't being beaten or anything (and didn't seem injured either I think the text said he had surrendered), but he was being berated and shouted at, and he stood there and just looked loving terrified, paralyzed in place. It was unpleasant, I won't post it myself.

Ukraine is 100% in the right here and I hope they continue to keep it together as they have and that the Russian air assaults keep failing, but man, some of these Russian soldiers we've seen, I feel incredibly sorry for them and it's a tragedy that they're there.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
Air raid sirens in Kyiv now.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Jesus, getting increasing Chechnya vibes from all this footage of wrecked and abandoned Russian equipment.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Jesus, getting increasing Chechnya vibes from all this footage of wrecked and abandoned Russian equipment.

My bet is the Ukraine military is being fed top tier intelligence from NATO. Basically real time information about any Russian movements. Just have to punch in the coordinates and press the fire button.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

This all bothers me so much. I’ve been to Kiyiv 2 times on holidays and it has been some of the best time of my life and some of my warmest memories. The people I met were incredibly hospitable and proud of their country. At one point I played with the idea of moving there.

This is all so hosed up and the people deserve only the best. Even in best case scenario where putin pounds sand the damage is still being done. Everything about this is just so horrible.

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

So I know that Ukraine is still incredibly outmatched but reading Twitter, things feel different to me this morning. The West is sending more weapons. Russians are slowly starting to speak out against the war. Both in the streets and amazingly even a couple of MPs who voted for it days ago. Zelensky is building himself into a leader out of legends. Even if they kill him he will become a martyr spurring more resistance (if that's even possible given how much they are already).

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497475136492130306

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497448514254782469

Talk me out of having hope that Ukraine might find a way to hold out long enough for Putin to fall to a coup. Because I know I might just be naive but I'm starting to hope this morning.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Randarkman posted:

I saw a video of a Russian soldier being detained by Ukrainian militia that seemed legit. He wasn't being beaten or anything (and didn't seem injured either I think the text said he had surrendered), but he was being berated and shouted at, and he stood there and just looked loving terrified, paralyzed in place. It was unpleasant, I won't post it myself.

Ukraine is 100% in the right here and I hope they continue to keep it together as they have and that the Russian air assaults keep failing, but man, some of these Russian soldiers we've seen, I feel incredibly sorry for them and it's a tragedy that they're there.

I've seen many of those and have had the same feelings. They look very poorly trained with even worse morale. They all seem to have a look of shame as well. I haven't seen a single one of them look their interrogator in the eyes. They stare at the ground. Odd vibe for an invasion force.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

I think Medvedev is kind of out of favor these days, so I'm not sure how much this reflects the mood of the overall Russian state towards the internal dissent they've had regarding the invasion.

https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1497498675412709378

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
So much propaganda from the Ukrainian side and almost zero from the Russian side, opposite to what I thought would be the case. It does make it very hard to trust any of the news coming out of the warzone though since it's all from only one side.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Now that's something I wouldn't have expected a couple of days ago. Putin might be in real trouble if this isn't over soon.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

acidx posted:

I think Medvedev is kind of out of favor these days, so I'm not sure how much this reflects the mood of the overall Russian state towards the internal dissent they've had regarding the invasion.

https://twitter.com/ABarbashin/status/1497498675412709378

Well, colour me shocked Russia didn't still have (overt) capital punishment.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Cyprus now agreeing to block Russia from SWIFT. If they are on board I imagine it will happen by the end of today.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Putin and his cronies are already lashing out at everything, this is not the look of a dictatorship comfortably holding it together. I'm sad that thousands and thousands of Ukrainians and dissenting Russians have to suffer and die before Putin is (hopefully) found in a bunker, having incredibly committed suicide with a bullet to the back of his neck.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497504901466832899?s=20&t=xvUpkxAKuL3eBnp9VqusoQ

Orban seemed in good spirits at the Nato meeting for what that's worth.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Well, colour me shocked Russia didn't still have (overt) capital punishment.

they just have lots of people accidentally falling off buildings.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Now that's something I wouldn't have expected a couple of days ago. Putin might be in real trouble if this isn't over soon.

From who? We'll see these dissidents arrested, before Putin becomes threatened. And if he actually starts feeling the nation turn against him, shits going to get ugly.

dominoeffect
Oct 1, 2013

Apparent update on the attempted airborne landing: https://twitter.com/yarotrof/status/1497498221966348288

Also the Ghost of Kyiv making an appearance

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Russian police is already beating protesters to death in the streets, an acquaintance had a journalist friend of his murdered in cold blood yesterday for trying to cover the protests in Moscow. poo poo is already incredibly hosed up.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I'm confused at what seems to be a lot of signs of Russian logistical collapse. Their troops really shouldn't be running out of fuel or food two days into a war - I know stuff happens fast in modern wars, but come on.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

Flayer posted:

So much propaganda from the Ukrainian side and almost zero from the Russian side, opposite to what I thought would be the case. It does make it very hard to trust any of the news coming out of the warzone though since it's all from only one side.

I agree somewhat, I take everything posted here with a grain of salt, you never know until it's over.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
more on attempted airborne assault
https://twitter.com/KSergatskova/status/1497499535920226308

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Trump posted:

One thing that I had 100% expected on the third day of the invasion, was complete air superiority for the russians and the skies absolutely filled with fighters and CAS

It's pretty incredible, thought that first-day Russians would have pretty much destroyed all the anti-air capacity that Ukrainians have.

cstang posted:

I've seen many of those and have had the same feelings. They look very poorly trained with even worse morale. They all seem to have a look of shame as well. I haven't seen a single one of them look their interrogator in the eyes. They stare at the ground. Odd vibe for an invasion force.

In the early days of the war(like a day or two ago), some people dug one POWs social media account and he was conscripted in December. So they really haven't gone through the basic training yet.
All of this is just incredibly bad, even by Russian standards. It's just... just everything is so... :kstare:
Was there confirmation on the Ukrainians shooting down two transport planes?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

Putin and his cronies are already lashing out at everything, this is not the look of a dictatorship comfortably holding it together. I'm sad that thousands and thousands of Ukrainians and dissenting Russians have to suffer and die before Putin is (hopefully) found in a bunker, having incredibly committed suicide with a bullet to the back of his neck.

My hope is someone tries to give him the Sadat treatment at the Victory Parade in May.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Trump posted:

From who? We'll see these dissidents arrested, before Putin becomes threatened. And if he actually starts feeling the nation turn against him, shits going to get ugly.

Palace coup. I'm not suggesting an imminent return to democracy it will be "Putin has temporarily gone to his Dacha for health rest. Faceless state security officer #354 is now in charge"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Flesnolk posted:

I'm confused at what seems to be a lot of signs of Russian logistical collapse. Their troops really shouldn't be running out of fuel or food two days into a war - I know stuff happens fast in modern wars, but come on.

I have an increasing feeling that COVID and the Russian economy falling apart have had a huge effect on the state of the military.

They just seem so disorganized, their logistics seem off, their making boneheaded decisions like attacking neutral shipping. It's like their whole chain of command is FUBAR. The continued air assaults for no gain are just head scratchingly wierd.

My new developing theory is Russian propaganda has been very good at bluster about how powerful they are the last few years becsuse things are actually in complete collapse internally..

Someone pointed out earlier in the thread how wierd it was that Russia was requesting troops from Kazakstan, and I think it's because in all actuality the Russian army is getting ravaged by theft and COVID.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 26, 2022

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/Sharon_Kuruvila/status/1497459206605189125

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

TheCardhouse posted:

So I know that Ukraine is still incredibly outmatched but reading Twitter, things feel different to me this morning. The West is sending more weapons. Russians are slowly starting to speak out against the war. Both in the streets and amazingly even a couple of MPs who voted for it days ago. Zelensky is building himself into a leader out of legends. Even if they kill him he will become a martyr spurring more resistance (if that's even possible given how much they are already).

https://twitter.com/haynesdeborah/status/1497475136492130306

https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1497448514254782469

Talk me out of having hope that Ukraine might find a way to hold out long enough for Putin to fall to a coup. Because I know I might just be naive but I'm starting to hope this morning.

There is certainly some good news, but if you really want to be talked out of it, I guess I would note that the Communist Party is a minority opposition party in Russia, and at this point a fairly small one (although it's unclear how well Russian elections actually reflect popular support). If United Russia politicians start saying things, I think maybe you could say Putin is in trouble. It is interesting that those two communist MPs are speaking out, but I guess I wouldn't see it as much evidence that a coup is brewing yet.

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Feb 26, 2022

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

There have been reports of air assaults in Brody/Lviv and in Vasylkiv. Don't know if these are the same incident or if there were two separate ones. The one in Brody seems to have some video and details. 60ish Russians landed and got chased off into the woods according to the mayor of Lviv. Nobody seems to understand why 60 dudes just got dropped off in the middle of nowhere.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

cstang posted:

I would have expected one of the largest militaries in recorded history to be having more victories than they have.

Just because a military is large doesn't automatically mean they have competent leadership where it matters, good strategic planning, and properly trained/fed/equipped troops.

Russia seems to have gone into this assuming they'd wipe out Ukrainian AA defenses and command and control infrastructure with the initial cruise missile strikes, then basically sweep aside token resistance from Ukrainian forces and roll into Kyiv, and Ukraine having a relatively modern military that's seeming well led and is determined as hell to fight back seems to have (at least for now) thrown a wrench into whatever the Russian plans were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Flayer posted:

It's there.

Supposedly the Russians are claiming the Snake Island defenders were 80 men, but surrendered on Crimea TV. I haven't seen anyone debunking it yet, but I'd assume it doesn't feature anyone in the livestreamed video.

Edit: The daughter of oligarch Abramovich feeling the heat.
https://twitter.com/zakavkaza/status/1497165665467346944?s=20&t=nkrbQvvwEYjHrqLZDWY8Dg

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 26, 2022