Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

They were having issues for months with the encampments in Belarus: scrounging to the point they depopulated the wildlife; soldiers sleeping in barns in large groups; the local Belarusians were apparently charging the Russian soldiers for food, with contract soldiers having to pay for themselves and the conscripts, who don't get paid by the Russian Ministry Of Defense.

Wait, what the hell? :psyduck: Russian conscripts aren't getting paid, not even a pittance? That's a really bad idea, the gently caress

No wonder there were already reports of Russian soldiers just surrendering. Getting shot at for zero pay and bad food? Hell, it must take superhuman efforts to keep fighting.

TulliusCicero posted:

I have an increasing feeling that COVID and the Russian economy falling apart have had a huge effect on the state of the military.

They just seem so disorganized, their logistics seem off, their making boneheaded decisions like attacking neutral shipping. It's like their whole chain of command is FUBAR. The continued air assaults for no gain are just head scratchingly wierd.

My new developing theory is Russian propaganda has been very good at bluster about how powerful they are the last few years becsuse things are actually in complete collapse internally..

Someone pointed out earlier in the thread how wierd it was that Russia was requesting troops from Kazakstan, and I think it's because in all actuality the Russian army is getting ravaged by theft and COVID.

This must be it. I remember reading in the news (German news), long before this all started, how poo poo went so hosed in Russia, multiple hospitals ran out of basic things like oxygen. I remember reading about a Russian industrial company proudly claiming they were donating their reserves of oxygen to Russian hospitals to keep things running, and the reported death tolls seemed insane back in the time. Especially to our own (fairly low) one. If Putin has isolated himself so much, he probably does neither believe, know, nor want to hear that the Russian military can't fight a prolonged war in this state.

If Covid is the reason for what we're seeing, that would explain the immediate push towards the Ukrainian capital, multiple airborne landing attempts while not having secured the airspace: It's basically the Russian army hoping they can outrun their own collapse. But now Ukraine hasn't immediately folded, and poo poo is all hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

A military dude I know noted that if social media is anything to go by, the Ukrainian main mechanized forces are also still nowhere to be seen. What has been going on is smaller local units fighting. It seems that UKR is being disciplined and biding its time and waiting for the decisive battles while keeping a communications blackout, which is probably a good strategy, seeing how Russia is not doing as hot as they obviously thought they would. There's a lot that remains unclear.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Young Freud posted:

They had thought they shut down the Ukrainian air defense and destroyed the UkAF on the ground, not thinking they'd move them out of their bases probably a week before hostilities.

Dispersing your airforce is simple, it was a planned thing back in the Cold War. You have a stretch of highway and a tanker truck with jet fuel under camo.

Ideally you take a few days to use your massive airforce to find and destroy the enemy airforce before starting the ground phase, but then you lose strategic surprise - they get to mobilize more men and materiel, and sappers prep more bridges - imagine if they blew the bridges at Chernobyl where it's the only crossing for 100+km?

Others have pointed out the echelon tactics the Soviets planned to use in Germany - send the first wave in to the meat grinder, then when they became stuck or ineffective, send the second echelon in to hit the defenders with fresh troops. The first wave is expendable so you just take the attrition - no repairing broken vehicles, etc.

Plus they've failed to capture any population centers outside maybe Cherson - your resupply network is presumably trucked, lots of bridges are down, and you have to pass little hornets nests of angry dug in defenders, and while a T-72 is NBC-hardened against a Molotov, a fuel tanker is NOT.

This looks like a planned smash-and-grab that basically took no account of defenders. But it's too early.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

barbecue at the folks posted:

A military dude I know noted that if social media is anything to go by, the Ukrainian main mechanized forces are also still nowhere to be seen. What has been going on is smaller local units fighting. It seems that UKR is being disciplined and biding its time and waiting for the decisive battles while keeping a communications blackout, which is probably a good strategy, seeing how Russia is not doing as hot as they obviously thought they would. There's a lot that remains unclear.

There has been video of wrecked Ukrainian armor, so they're out there, as well as Ukrainian armor being captured, but the communications blackout is definitely keeping any appearances in video.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

Zephro posted:

Seems like the sense that this is not going as well/quickly as Russia wanted isn't limited to us random nobodies on the intertubes:

From the Graun

The point that it's only small numbers of Russian soldiers that have so far made it to Kyiv is encouraging (in the short term) and worrying (in the medium term) because it suggests the big guns and heavy armour haven't yet arrived.

edit: beaten I see, oops

If the location of this video is correct it would seem to counter his claim that Melitopol is still Ukrainian controlled.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497517644089602048

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

These random air drops are still weird as hell to me, even without any enemy units you would still struggle to occupy an entire city with just a few dozen soldiers

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
That's 7k men if I did the math right

https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1497516207469207557

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Zephro posted:

The point that it's only small numbers of Russian soldiers that have so far made it to Kyiv is encouraging (in the short term) and worrying (in the medium term) because it suggests the big guns and heavy armour haven't yet arrived.

It's all on the borders though so what are they waiting for? We saw the satellite images of the forces and everything set up after footage of trains bringing all that armor for the invasion. Not enough fuel for the vehicles? Soldiers too hungry/sick to attack? I think everyone expected a huge coordinated push but who knows if it will ever happen?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

cstang posted:

The whole thing has been odd. Most of the captured Russians look and act as if they were trained just yesterday. The sabotage groups wearing Ukraine uniforms. Seems like Russia is employing desperate tactics early. I would have expected one of the largest militaries in recorded history to be having more victories than they have.

Everyone is slowly finding out out that the Russian Army of today is not the Soviet Army of yesteryear. Looking more and more like a paper tiger.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

the popes toes posted:

It's so loving weird. A rando Ukrainian drives up to a broke dick tank and says, "Dudes. You need a tow back to Moscow?" Like, who drives up to the occupiers and yuks it up? Ukrainians that's who.

I'd offer them a ride to my place and they can play Xbox until this all blows over, and I wouldn't be surprised at all at being taken up on that offer. Seems way better than getting barbecued by a Javelin.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

Keep in mind that we're mostly getting Ukrainian info about the situation, for whatever reason Russia's propaganda game really is not on point this time around - although that itself is possibly arguably a bad sign for the Russians.

A factor in this might be improved protection of social media against Russian troll farm and bot activity. There has been a lot of investment on that front after the 2016 US election.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Play posted:

Please, please loving do it. Do it you pussies. As if any of us give a flying gently caress about billionaire/corporate money stored in Russia, shouldn't even be there anyways.

And it will pave the way for the same thing to happen to Russian capital in many countries around the world.

I like this. It seems desperate. I'm guessing it's an empty threat but I actually hope they go through with this. Go ahead and try and out-sanction the west
Like all the things they didn't think this through very much, so I really hope they'll do it. Yes, make it even less likely western companies/money will ever want to return. But also, I thought sanctions don't work and are useless and lol West we don't even have money you can freeze???

At the same time it's a good reminder for the idiots in charge of said western companies who probably thought "let's get this Russian market, big money, no risks!"

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
:nms:
:nws:

There was a truck that came in front of that Strela 10 that ran over a car yesterday (the driver survived). The truck and it's crew did not survive - long range video of it and the death of the driver. You can see the armored vehicle drive off. Other posts I saw said it was Ukrainian that was stolen by special forces.

:nms: :nws:

https://twitter.com/loogunda/status/1497515736855633921?s=20&t=HG39G-Z0MNmPZvMPVLC1fQ

Comstar fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Feb 26, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

SUNKOS posted:

It's all on the borders though so what are they waiting for? We saw the satellite images of the forces and everything set up after footage of trains bringing all that armor for the invasion. Not enough fuel for the vehicles? Soldiers too hungry/sick to attack? I think everyone expected a huge coordinated push but who knows if it will ever happen?

You can only keep so many units supplied with fuel and ammo at a given time. I assume what they have sent in is the maximum they think they can keep supplied given the available transport and capacity of the roads.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Flesnolk posted:

I'm confused at what seems to be a lot of signs of Russian logistical collapse. Their troops really shouldn't be running out of fuel or food two days into a war - I know stuff happens fast in modern wars, but come on.

Supplying an army during an invasion is really difficult. Look at it another way. An American aircraft carrier using a nuclear reactor doesn't need its fuel replaced for 25 years but it travels in a battlegroup with supply ships than contain weapons and fuel for aircraft to sustain operations. Why do you think the US has naval bases scattered around the world along with deals with countries to use their ports?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

barbecue at the folks posted:

I think it's also worth noting that Ukraine only started mobilising the reserves at the start of the week. That process is going to be ongoing for some time. The regular army is 250k, the reserve is another ~200k, as long as the Russians aren't able to break out and cause a collapse then they've potentially got the mass to stabilise a line.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Libluini posted:

Wait, what the hell? :psyduck: Russian conscripts aren't getting paid, not even a pittance? That's a really bad idea, the gently caress

No wonder there were already reports of Russian soldiers just surrendering. Getting shot at for zero pay and bad food? Hell, it must take superhuman efforts to keep fighting.

Russian government is a honeypot for the corrupt. Expect the same to applicable to the military.

Alchenar posted:

I think it's also worth noting that Ukraine only started mobilising the reserves at the start of the week. That process is going to be ongoing for some time. The regular army is 250k, the reserve is another ~200k, as long as the Russians aren't able to break out and cause a collapse then they've potentially got the mass to stabilise a line.

Only time will tell, but I'm starting to suspect that the success of the defense lies heavily with NATO sharing intelligence. And I wouldn't be surprised is some "contractors" are still on the ground coordinating.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Xerxes17 posted:

Well, one brutal theory is that they're using the low quality troops first to find, fix and wear down the Ukrainians before they send in the real troops later with a clear picture of where the enemy will be.

This is almost certainly true given how much poo poo was amassed on the border but hasn't been used at all.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/t1h7k4/ukrainian_soldiers_let_russian_captive_soldier_to/

A Russian POW phones his parents. A little bit :nms:, he has what appears to be a serious head wound but is lucid and talking.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

SUNKOS posted:

I would guess (though I have no more idea than any other total amateur) that they were hoping to take Kyiv quickly and relatively bloodlessly to avoid having to do it as a re-run of Grozny. Using artillery to methodically smash up a city of 3m people would be absolutely awful and would do a lot to stiffen everyone else's spines.

edit: maybe Putin even believes at least some his crap about how Ukraine is suffering under the yoke of a gay drug-addled jewish nazi and they couldn't wait to be rid of him, idk

Zephro fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 26, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There's plenty of Russian propaganda outside of the SA echo chamber. Even on Western-dominated platforms you can find a lot of it.

Most of it is focused domestically, though. Which, I would say, is a good sign still. As is the fact that they seem to be shying away from specifics. They haven't been able to announce the total victory they first expected, so they've clammed up, at least a little bit.

The troll farms are still plenty active though, it's just hard to say how effective they are in places outside of our cultural/linguistic milieus.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Young Freud posted:

There has been video of wrecked Ukrainian armor, so they're out there, as well as Ukrainian armor being captured, but the communications blackout is definitely keeping any appearances in video.

I've seen I think 3 T-64 wrecks and that's all, none of their T-80 or T-84s have been sighted anywhere by internet sleuths

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

the popes toes posted:

It's so loving weird. A rando Ukrainian drives up to a broke dick tank and says, "Dudes. You need a tow back to Moscow?" Like, who drives up to the occupiers and yuks it up? Ukrainians that's who.

Alternative option: It was staged for the sake of making a funny video

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Play posted:

Please, please loving do it. Do it you pussies. As if any of us give a flying gently caress about billionaire/corporate money stored in Russia, shouldn't even be there anyways.

And it will pave the way for the same thing to happen to Russian capital in many countries around the world.

I like this. It seems desperate. I'm guessing it's an empty threat but I actually hope they go through with this. Go ahead and try and out-sanction the west

This announcement is going to absolutely and totally collapse the Russian stock market. Like, down to dust and ashes. Just the announcement means foreign investment will avoid Russia for the next twenty years.

anyway, this thread was interesting, first discussion I've seen of Russian state media in all this:

https://twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1496741790187077632?s=20&t=EbnvtrZio0EJ45WdXCsVEw

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Play posted:

There's plenty of Russian propaganda outside of the SA echo chamber. Even on Western-dominated platforms you can find a lot of it.

Most of it is focused domestically, though. Which, I would say, is a good sign still. As is the fact that they seem to be shying away from specifics. They haven't been able to announce the total victory they first expected, so they've clammed up, at least a little bit.

The troll farms are still plenty active though, it's just hard to say how effective they are in places outside of our cultural/linguistic milieus.

The target audience of Russian propaganda in western nations would mostly be on Telegram anyway, no point wasting effort posting it on twitter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This announcement is going to absolutely and totally collapse the Russian stock market. Like, down to dust and ashes. Just the announcement means foreign investment will avoid Russia for the next twenty years.

anyway, this thread was interesting, first discussion I've seen of Russian state media in all this:

https://twitter.com/ClintEhrlich/status/1496741790187077632?s=20&t=EbnvtrZio0EJ45WdXCsVEw

Big Iraqi Propaganda Minister vibes

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Russian media has been reporting last night that the soldiers of Snake island (the go gently caress yourself guys) are alive and well, being treated fairly “Currently, they are being asked to sign a refusal to participate in hostilities. In the near future they will be returned to their families,”.

I guess this confirms that the story is true, and that they are all dead.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

TheRat posted:

This is almost certainly true given how much poo poo was amassed on the border but hasn't been used at all.

low quality troops like paratroopers and special forces?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

TheRat posted:

The Russians undoubtedly have lots of reserves, but leading with poo poo troops when the only way to avoid a quagmire is a lightning quick decapitation is so loving dumb I hope it's true.

Wuxi posted:

Also this.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xerxes17 posted:

Well, one brutal theory is that they're using the low quality troops first to find, fix and wear down the Ukrainians before they send in the real troops later with a clear picture of where the enemy will be.

This can't really be the case though, or are you suggesting all those dead paratroopers were just the shittiest Russia had?

TheRat posted:

Almost certainly not. It would be suicidal. Just sacrificing large chunks of your army only works in video games, were you don't have to content with things like mutinies or cratering morale.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

I've seen I think 3 T-64 wrecks and that's all, none of their T-80 or T-84s have been sighted anywhere by internet sleuths

There was a 15 minute video posted yesterday of someone driving past hundreds of destroyed/abandoned ukranian armour/support. The video claimed it was 15km long.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Slashrat posted:

The stranded armor in the middle of nowhere puzzles me. I'm aware heavy military vehicles consume a lot of fuel, but presumably you know how much fuel you'll need to get somewhere, and if you need to refuel along the way to reach it. If you need to refuel, you'd presumably wait at some staging point for it before continuing, not just press on until you go completely dry all alone.

Poor crew training is an obvious explanation, but does anyone know of any other possible reasons for this?

Russian BTGs have less logistical resources than your average NATO or Western army equivalent. They're also heavily reliant on rail-based support for logistics. So you're relatively low on trucks, you haven't captured any major cities with open railways after the first two days, and the trucks you have are getting attacked along the highways. Combined that with a situation where a lot of those Russian troops being recruited at the end of the year with little training in a military where hazing and other kinds of abuse. Well, that can lead to your motorized troopers ending up stranded without fuel and not knowing what the gently caress to do, or not having initiative enough to question orders that will likely end up advancing further than your logistics can support.

Imagine that you're a 19 year old Russian who has been systematically abused for three months in boot camp, then told to drive your BMP towards Kiev. Do you think you would tell your commanding officer that it makes no sense as you don't have the fuel to reach a staging point? A staging point that might not exist yet as the advance has failed to reach their tactical goals the last two days?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Libluini posted:

Almost certainly not. It would be suicidal.

I get the feeling that's not a grand worry for the leadership.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Xerxes17 posted:

I don't believe this, it's not the complete picture anyways, that's for sure.

That would only work if you had the elite troops directly following the cannon fodder, exploiting the intel and progress your weak troops have made.

Attacking with a sizeable force (what is the estimate of engaged Russian troops at this moment? 80000?), fighting several battles, moving hundreds and hundreds of kilometers into enemy territory etc., just to probe the Ukrainian defenses AND then send in the elite, (which is still for some reason in the initial deployment area) days later, just to run into UA positions and formations that has been reinforced, rearmed, rested and probably repositioned, is top tier armchair general distilled dumbass.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Wuxi posted:

People were saying before it started that russian paratroopers always did insane suicidal poo poo

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

SoggyBobcat posted:

https://old.reddit.com/r/PublicFreakout/comments/t1h7k4/ukrainian_soldiers_let_russian_captive_soldier_to/

A Russian POW phones his parents. A little bit :nms:, he has what appears to be a serious head wound but is lucid and talking.

:stonk:

That conversation. It sounds like his parents are thinking he went partying in Ukraine with friends and got into some trouble, not captured by the Ukrainian army for invading the country!

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

NTRabbit posted:

Everyone is slowly finding out out that the Russian Army of today is not the Soviet Army of yesteryear. Looking more and more like a paper tiger.

I'm 43 and have grown up being told how powerful the Soviets/Russians are. It's very strange that see this playing out the way it has so far. Strange but not bad. I'd love to see Ukraine get through this.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Really surprised at the lack of situational awareness of those Russians by the out of fuel vehicle. They're invading a country and I can barely see a weapon visible and nobody is on overwatch.

They are acting like fresh recruits.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Libluini posted:

Almost certainly not. It would be suicidal. Just sacrificing large chunks of your army only works in video games, were you don't have to content with things like mutinies or cratering morale.

It would be a very stereotypically WW2-Russian thing to do, which means I'm sceptical as well. I think they're just loving up a lot of their attacks rather than purposely sacrificing troops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

This seems overly optimistic given the current situation.