Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

sigher posted:

This is total bullshit, the game wouldn't be getting reviewed as bad as it has been if the performance wasn't "super severe." The performance issues are genuinely terrible and it's baffling this made it through QC.

It varies a ton from machine to machine. Some run just fine 99% of the time, some are unplayable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

pentyne posted:

Are enemy weakness even a thing?

I've got fire and holy pots but yet to see either do anything worth crafting them for.

I'd love to be able to use poison and bleeding as often as the game does it to me, but same thing I'm not seeing any effective use. Poison is like 2/hp a second no matter what so if you hit a boss with it then you're having to evade for ~5-10 mins if you want to be safe.

Enemies weak to fire are usually really weak to fire, they have a special animation when you light them up, get stunned for a couple seconds, and you can do it repeatedly -- usually it's pretty obvious, like they're a plant. It's definitely worth keeping a couple fire pots in your inventory. I haven't crafted any holy water throwables yet but it's likely that they prevent undead enemies from reviving if you tag them with one, based on how other holy effects work. So far the only guys I've met who do this are pretty weak skeletons but I assume there will be nastier guys with this effect later

But yeah I would consider both of those quite useful for their utility effects even if they're not your main sources of damage.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

I want to get this game but half the reviews on Steam are about how it is literally unplayable because of poo poo performance and stuttering so bad the combat becomes impossible. To what extent has that been a problem for you all?

You know that picture of the plane with all the bullet holes? The ppl said "we should put armor in the spots where the bullet holes are in the planes that come back". But a smart guy said "no, put armor where there aren't bullet holes, because these are the planes that survived the damage, so they dont need armor where they got hit".

Its the same thing with steam reviews on a game that just came out. Everyone having a good time is not posting poo poo on the internet... they are playing the video game lol. Well ok we are posting poo poo, but there's definitely a big discrepancy between the two groups.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

I found Patches and spared him, and I've been back to his cave a few times and he isn't there. Is there something else I need to do to get him to set up shop?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

It varies a ton from machine to machine. Some run just fine 99% of the time, some are unplayable.

It definitely does, but just brushing it off as "not that bad" when it's ruining my experience for others because they're seeing it a lot more frequently is bad. My game fluctuates depending on the area I'm in, some spots my game would stay at 20fps for seconds at a time in the middle of combat which makes things really miserable.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

deep dish peat moss posted:

Siofra River is absurdly cool, drat. Might be my new favorite Souls zone.

It's like Blackreach from Skyrim except with ancient mesopotamian ruins spread throughout and guarded by ghost vikings

the elevator ride down was so cool

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

I think they are pointing to the closest mandadory boss. There is the castle near the start, but there are others elsewhere.

I don't see where there could be a mandatory boss I've been over seemingly every inch of the peninsula. Unless the map gets so stupid big there's some landmass even further south.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Jerusalem posted:

Finally downed Margit, what a relief. Then I met the bird with blades on his feet! :vince:

wait'll you meet the one with an exploding barrel on its feet

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I have been watching Day9's stream recording while waking up.

He goes on a 5 minute praise rant about the great hollow in ds1 while looking at the cellar entrance where you get the whetstone knife. Talking about how in normal open world game there is always just a chest there.

Then later he has a similar speech, talking about how sometimes open world games have to give us simple rewards like just chests. While looking at the entrance to the teleporting chest.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There are two early npcs who sell sorceries, one to the north of the starting zone and one to the east-southeast

More specific details
#1 Head north along the dirt trail that starts from the broken bridge with an old lady on it

#2: Hidden in one of the enemy-filled named ruins that show up on your map. Not the absolute closest ones, it's a bit further out.

Thanks, I got the second one! The first one I’m a little confused by. I don’t see any dirt paths leading away from the finger-reading old lady, and the bridge is down. From the old lady’s position, which way do I head?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

Then later he has a similar speech, talking about how sometimes open world games have to give us simple rewards like just chests. While looking at the entrance to the teleporting chest.

lmao

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Some people may consider the following spoilers, but really it's just advice to avoid loving up things with an npc semi-permanently in an obtuse way. And it's in the early areas.

You should probably click through this spoiler tag if you are playing a sorceries character.
So the basic sorceries vendor is here-

-but, for some reason, she also shows up down here.

In Witchbane ruins she's got crystals on her hands binding her to the walls and is mumbling about torture.
She hasn't been abducted, she's just... in both places at once.

If you attack to try and break the crystals to free her(like I did, aiming at them with a crossbow), you'll just aggro her permanently. Once that's done, she will vanish from the first location as a spell vendor. So just leave her alone here.

To my knowledge there is a consumable later on in the game that sets angry NPCs back to normal, so hopefully that can fix this. But in general, don't make my mistake!

sigher posted:

This is total bullshit, the game wouldn't be getting reviewed as bad as it has been if the performance wasn't "super severe." The performance issues are genuinely terrible and it's baffling this made it through QC.
Ok? Clearly the issues are not consistent because my performance issues are not anywhere near that bad.

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

sigher posted:

This looks like this whole thing, here's his video review and every video on the channel is the same format apparently and they're all titled "Don't buy this game." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUDN1d8EoT8

Well, that is one way to monetize an unfortunate visage.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Tbf I had a few deaths against that one that looked a lot like that video. :(

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Those things are probably the hardest boss I've actually defeated so far, especially the later one you find that has a poo poo load of frog thing adds that all aggro you the second you go in the room.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Those things are probably the hardest boss I've actually defeated so far, especially the later one you find that has a poo poo load of frog thing adds that all aggro you the second you go in the room.

I one-shot both of them but when I entered the room for the second one and saw those assholes in there I thought Miyazaki you son of a bitch.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

pentyne posted:

Are enemy weakness even a thing?

I've got fire and holy pots but yet to see either do anything worth crafting them for.

I'd love to be able to use poison and bleeding as often as the game does it to me, but same thing I'm not seeing any effective use. Poison is like 2/hp a second no matter what so if you hit a boss with it then you're having to evade for ~5-10 mins if you want to be safe.

Enemy weakness is definitely a thing. For example, the skeletons in one of the Limgrave dungeons took like 500 damage from my sword after I put holy damage on it and evaporated instead of trying to revive.

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Gully Foyle posted:

I gave up on the PC version because 90% of the enemies on the overland were invisible, and none of the suggested fixes proved a long term solution. Otherwise the PC version was alright - mild stuttering and slowdowns, but generally fine performance wise, but the invisible enemies made it unplayable. Granted, my PC/graphics card is a few years old. I'm sure a patch will address this issue, but I wanted to play now.

PS4 version has been much better - smooth and no bugs so far.

Were you running the game from an SSD or a regular HDD, by any chance?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok I think I’m actually done exploring the castle. Found some additional grace spots, killed a few mini-bosses and opened the main gate + found the path to the big bridge with the huge gently caress off giants. So yeah I’l uh… not mess with those right now..

Back to exploring some more. Maybe try to kill the dragon in the swamp.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bloodhound Knight in the crystal cave with all the crystal magic snails is absolutely kicking my arse. He doesn't have that much health, but he's crazy fast and his bleed goes right through my shield. It's basically block, run away and die whilst I try and heal.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Sakurazuka posted:

One of the mini dungeons I found had two of them at the same time for a boss

I beat the Ulcered Tree Spirit with my starting gear but that fight I gave up on, I have no idea how it’s supposed to be possible without summoning help.

(Also the respawn point in that dungeon is bugged so you always restart at the entrance)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
So what does time of day actually affect in this game? I see you can wait to change it…is there a point, or just cosmetic?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Sight radius for sneaking is a little more forgiving at night.

Some mobs behave differently at night as well. Most of the flappy things in the starting area roost during the day and charge around at night. I think I saw a nazghul on a road once too :ohdear:

Probably also some obscure npc quest scheduling because From

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Are there any decent communities to discuss this game besides here? Reddit is full of memes and scrubs playing their first FromSoft game, but I'm interested in hearing about people who are making their way into the endgame, looking for secrets and other more subtle bits of content. I myself am working my way through DS3 for the first time and waiting for a patch on PC to drop before I wade in, but I couldn't care less about ER spoilers.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
There’s an important npc in the starting area who only shows up at night. The witch who gives you the ability to summon spirits

Is there a hint for that anywhere, by the way? I only found it because I was trying to look up how to use all these spirits I had been collecting.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

stev posted:

Tbf I had a few deaths against that one that looked a lot like that video. :(

I look like that playing against any boss or even regular enemy. I only beat the watchdog when I got the thing that lets you summon wolves and used those to distract it while I flailed just as incompetently but it didn't hit back for a while.

Hope that tactic works against the real bosses too :ohdear:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Is Elden Ring the kind of game where if I am not great at bosses, but I just keep leveling up eventually the boss I am stuck on will just be kinda easy?

Although I'm definitely getting better. I killed a giant who had a big sword, and that felt pretty good.

Also, being mounted in the open against non-mounted enemies makes pretty much everything really simple. I could farm giant crabs at the beach all day with zero risk if I wanted

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Tosk posted:

Are there any decent communities to discuss this game besides here? Reddit is full of memes and scrubs playing their first FromSoft game, but I'm interested in hearing about people who are making their way into the endgame, looking for secrets and other more subtle bits of content. I myself am working my way through DS3 for the first time and waiting for a patch on PC to drop before I wade in, but I couldn't care less about ER spoilers.

Find a speedrunner on twitch who you enjoy and check their discord. The speedrunning communities are pretty chill and they are way into finding secret content.

It's been years since I followed Dark Souls speedrunning but I'm sure other folks in the thread can give suggestions on who to follow.4

blue squares posted:

Is Elden Ring the kind of game where if I am not great at bosses, but I just keep leveling up eventually the boss I am stuck on will just be kinda easy?

Although I'm definitely getting better. I killed a giant who had a big sword, and that felt pretty good

Some bosses yes, others definitely not. But you learned how to take on a giant! Don't give up, skeleton

That giant was not a boss by the way.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Feb 26, 2022

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Is the diminishing returns on recapturing runes when you die on purpose or a bug

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Fruits of the sea posted:

That giant was not a boss by the way.

lol yeah I know

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

this sucks i guess if you beat magrit or godrick before talking to her she's gone. Wonder if she's the lady who showed up at the round table after I beat godrick? She mentioned me talking to her when I hadn't.

she will give it to you after her questline in the round table hold!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

guard: hey remember dark souls 2?

me: yea, why?

guard: *blows horn*

me: ...oh poo poo

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Level 21, 9 hours in and I've not even entered Stormgate yet.
Is anyone else who went full INT finding Cartian Greatsword is the best spell? Followed by Pebble?
Also, can someone point me in a general direction of a catalyst? A general direction from, dunno, the starting point...

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is the diminishing returns on recapturing runes when you die on purpose or a bug

I don't know, but it's started happening to me too and it's annoying. On the note of things that happened and I don't know why, I haven't beaten Godrick yet but I can't find Rogier in his room anymore. I wanted to buy the big magic sword art of war... I hope something I did didn't accidentally kill him.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

aperfectcirclefan posted:

On purpose.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Thumbtacks posted:

This bronze beetle knight guy is a real bitch

i got stuck dying to him a few times, then got cheesy and you can run past him to the elevator, make it go up, and then circle around the giant pit and eventually his attack pattern got him to fall in lol

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

So I saw a hot tip on reddit and went South to the Weeping Peninsula by way of one of those horse jump booster things just west of the bridge. . The enemies are not that much harder than the mercenaries around the starting area, and I've found at least 3 ruined churches with Sacred tears to increase flask potency, a mage tower with a spell memory increase slot, and a mine that absolutely shits smithing stones out at you.

You can also find the Flames of madness incantation around there.

So if you're looking for upgrades before fighting Magrit, I recommend going there.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I always feel like I'm just sort of falling uphill in this game. I wander from place to place thoroughly getting my rear end kicked repeatedly. I don't remember the last time I actually had any runes.

It's really fun but just a tiny taste of victory would be nice for once. I've been playing samurai but I think I might try something new (not like I've made a ton of progress, lol).

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
It feels like the cost of levels escalates waaay too fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

skasion posted:

So what does time of day actually affect in this game? I see you can wait to change it…is there a point, or just cosmetic?
there are night cavalry minibosses that only show up at night in various places

one of them gives you a sick 3-headed flail