Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

KitConstantine posted:

I know, that comment was in response to the Kremlin saying Ukranians are "drawing out the war by refusing to negotiate"

Seems their invasion plan was in large parts to rush Kyiv and force peace, considering that they have not really progressed far from the borders, except the for the area around Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1497540698899243011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The thing that gives a little credence to the idea that Russia expected to be done by now is the reaction to sanctions. Either:

1. Russia didn't expect any escalation in sanctions for kicking off the largest shooting war in Europe in decades

2. Russia doesn't care about sanctions and went ahead with the war thinking they could eat the costs

or 3. Russia hoped to win the war fast enough to present it as a fait accompli and avoid the worst of the sanctions because the shooting was done

Any of the 3 is possible (and presumably Russian strategists entertained multiple possibilities) but the 3rd seems like the most reasonable one to rely on. U.S. intelligence thought Kyiv would have fallen by now too, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that Russia would have made the same calculation.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Tuna-Fish posted:

with two transport planes (probably full of troops) getting shot down.

Have we seen evidence of this yet?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

TheCardhouse posted:

Going to need a source on this

Source on what?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640

"Rando: Maybe we can haul you back to Russia?

Soldiers: Lmao"

TheCardhouse
Oct 7, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Source on what?

That the defenders of Snake Island were not killed

Chewbacca Defense
Sep 6, 2009

High speed, low drag.

TheRat posted:

A lot of people involved have absolutely nothing to do with Russia, they're just somewhat misguided old leftists who hate any kind of imperialism which very much includes NATO. Sure there might be the odd Russian influence here and there, but don't for a second think that's the main force behind it.

I don't know how one would square their anti-imperialist beliefs with supporting a major power retaking a territory that was historically part of their empire.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Australia Pay TV just took Russia Today off the air!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
Hopescrolling Twitter from a small protest outside Valletta. 150-200 people, mostly Ukrainian flags, a few other countries too. Some chants every now and then.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

A good policy to have is to not believe anything you read online unless there’s definitive video or image evidence for it, that’s why for example I didn’t believe the ukranians took back hostomel airport because they never released images or that every defender of snake island died because later the Russians proved otherwise with video.

Dude, I saw that video. I agree that we dont have clear confirmation of all the defenders being killed (a win in my book, they still told that ship to gently caress itself, and it's better if they're alive), but if you believe that one video that was posted as proof proved anything more than some dudes getting water bottles, then you are far more gullible than you believe yourself to be.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Chewbacca Defense posted:

I don't know how one would square their anti-imperialist beliefs with supporting a major power retaking a territory that was historically part of their empire.

Oh they do condemn it. It's just frequently saying stuff like Russia must stop this but we must also etc etc. Like the stuff is anti NATO, but it's also anti invasion. The problem is that the latter is not as heavily emphasised as the former. It's using the idea of dialogue at the wrong time.

Also in case this kicks up a load of comments I agree that Ukraine should not be subsumed into Russia or invaded at all.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Any photographic proof of the IL-76 claims from last night?

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497566426118463489?s=20&t=5ZzUffyfvSor05JxGP3TjQ

Zelensky Just announced that Turkey Agreed to close the Bosphorous to russian warships, the problem is that Turks didnt agree to that at all. whoops.

TheCardhouse posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1497467132950548486?s=20&t=HM8QjIXk7JyFfygCnsKz6g

this was the first source I found but I found this footage on multiple other sources. 87 of the snake island garrison surrendered and they were sent to sevastepol.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

TheRat posted:

A lot of people involved have absolutely nothing to do with Russia, they're just somewhat misguided old leftists who hate any kind of imperialism which very much includes NATO. Sure there might be the odd Russian influence here and there, but don't for a second think that's the main force behind it.

Eh, Andrew Murray is at the top of the pyramid and he's a living carictature of a tankie so extreme people assume he's made up as a boogyman to scare children of the commies.

Josef bugman posted:

Oh they do condemn it. It's just frequently saying stuff like Russia must stop this but we must also etc etc. Like the stuff is anti NATO, but it's also anti invasion. The problem is that the latter is not as heavily emphasised as the former. It's using the idea of dialogue at the wrong time.

Also in case this kicks up a load of comments I agree that Ukraine should not be subsumed into Russia or invaded at all.

Organisationally this is true, but you know, look at the positions of the people in charge outside of the organisation and it's pretty clear where their biases lie.

fnox
May 19, 2013

TheRat posted:

“Hate any kind of imperialism” except the kind where a much larger country attempts to seize its poorer smaller neighbors through overwhelming force, fitting the possibly simplest definition of “empire”.

That’s not being somewhat misguided, that’s being willingly ignorant of the reality of the situation. I think there’s been a lot more Russian money thrown around for favorable opinions than people realize. And it really is as simple as that, publications and NGOs get Russian funds and all of a sudden they’re following their line. You can’t seriously call yourself anti imperialist while simultaneously accepting the idea that Ukraine is somehow responsible for being invaded.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

ZombieLenin posted:

yeah IL-76's are monstrously big planes there should be some form of phone footage at this point.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Josef bugman posted:

When they make their perfunctory, mealy-mouthed "condemnations" of Russia, they are usually just couching their words before they get to the main thrust of their rambling.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

TheRat posted:

Have we seen evidence of this yet?

Other than both hearing Ukrainian claim it and Marco Rubio shitposting about it on twitter, no.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

or 3. Russia hoped to win the war fast enough to present it as a fait accompli and avoid the worst of the sanctions because the shooting was done

I also think this was the plan. Installing a puppet regime before sanctions would come in, and then the new Ukrainian government saying “Sanctions? What sanctions? We’re fineeee”

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Getting some real hitler tirade meme vibes off of this.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

fnox posted:

“Hate any kind of imperialism” except the kind where a much larger country attempts to seize its poorer smaller neighbors through overwhelming force, fitting the possibly simplest definition of “empire”.

That’s not being somewhat misguided, that’s being willingly ignorant of the reality of the situation. I think there’s been a lot more Russian money thrown around for favorable opinions than people realize. And it really is as simple as that, publications and NGOs get Russian funds and all of a sudden they’re following their line. You can’t seriously call yourself anti imperialist while simultaneously accepting the idea that Ukraine is somehow responsible for being invaded.

https://international.dsausa.org/statements/no-war-with-russia/

Something that’s making me seriously consider my support for DSA.

This article never mentions Putin or Russian military buildup in the border. It just goes off on railing against US and NATO.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Grouchio posted:

Morning folks what did I miss since last night EST?

In addition to being removed from Eurovision by the EBU, Disney has announced the removal of all Russian themed animatronic dolls from the various "It's A Small World" rides at their parks.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Isn’t the bosphorous governed by some crazy UN regulations?

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES

ZombieLenin posted:

Ukraine is not showing any images because that would reveal the US Space Lasers shot them down. :tinfoil:

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497566426118463489?s=20&t=5ZzUffyfvSor05JxGP3TjQ

Zelensky Just announced that Turkey Agreed to close the Bosphorous to russian warships, the problem is that Turks didnt agree to that at all. whoops.

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1497467132950548486?s=20&t=HM8QjIXk7JyFfygCnsKz6g

this was the first source I found but I found this footage on multiple other sources. 87 of the snake island garrison surrendered and they were sent to sevastepol.

Finally a source we can trust, "Russians with Attitude."

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

This is the one I was referring to, tell me, in your own skeptical mind, how exactly this video on its own proves anything concrete at all?

again

Randarkman posted:

Dude, I saw that video. I agree that we dont have clear confirmation of all the defenders being killed (a win in my book, they still told that ship to gently caress itself, and it's better if they're alive), but if you believe that one video that was posted as proof proved anything more than some dudes getting water bottles, then you are far more gullible than you believe yourself to be.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
A repost, but apropos to the current topic of discussion:

On the Russian FSB and polling: https://twitter.com/lymanstoneky/status/1497302149486858241

quote:

According to the polling data, Ukrainians in early February were, by and large, pessimistic about the future and apathetic about politics, and did not trust politicians, political parties or the majority of Ukraine’s domestic institutions. Their main concerns were overwhelmingly inflation and the cost of living, with both perceived to be rising.

Trust in the office of the president sat at 27%, with 67% distrustful of the presidency. President Volodymyr Zelenskiy had poor approval ratings at −34, but a high proportion of Ukrainians polled still professed that they would vote for him over other candidates. The Ukrainian Army, both regular and reserve, was highly trusted, with 68% of the population supportive, as were military veterans, while regional and municipal governments were comparatively well-trusted with over 40% of the population having a favourable opinion of them. However, other institutions enjoyed approval figures that ranged from mediocre to poor, including the police at 28% and domestic security services at 23%. Trust in the Rada – the Ukrainian parliament – and in political parties was abysmal, at 11% and 8% respectively. And when it came to willingness to serve in the military or otherwise resist a foreign invasion, 40% of respondents stated that they would not defend Ukraine.

The population notably had a high opinion of the military’s capabilities, although this is worryingly divergent from the assessment of professional military analysts. 51% of respondents believed that the Ukrainian Army had the capacity to repel an invasion force, despite Ukrainian technical capabilities being decisively outmatched and outnumbered by those deployed by Russia. They also for the most part did not believe that the Russian military build-up – of which 90% of those surveyed were aware – would necessarily result in invasion. These expectations are in the process of being shattered

The problem with surveys of social attitudes is that they are a snapshot of a moment in time. In stable conditions, trends in the data can suggest the trajectory of public sentiment, and the FSB has social trends data for Ukraine going back as far as 2006. But a seismic shift of context can cause major variations in sentiment and attitudes. Air attacks, even when limited to precision strikes on military targets, have historically been perceived extremely negatively by civilian populations subjected to them, who may also not fully understand the difference between area bombardment and military targeting. This often inspires intense hatred of the attacker and stiffens the resolve to resist. Likewise, military casualties in the face of an enemy ground invasion can make a population more determined to resist, so long as resistance does not appear hopeless. Ukraine’s small but symbolically important tactical victories like the retaking of Antonov airport gain a wider significance when looked at in this light.

If Russia hoped that shock and awe in the destruction of the Ukrainian military might deter resistance, historical experience points to the opposite result. Thus, while the FSB survey may have been accurate in measuring opinions at the time it was conducted, it told the Russians little about how sentiments would evolve in the aftermath of an invasion.

As I remarked previously: important not to huff one's own farts about kinetic strikes validating a political outcome fait accompli too much. This element does seem to be something that some Russian thinkers, even those not deep in the neo-Euroasian-empire buffoonery, seem to take seriously - 1) that Ukrainian pro-Europeanism was dead in the water until the colour revolution imposed an illusory media consensus, rather than being latent and revealed by colour revolution to be viable politics, and 2) that covert military action was the key driver to the success of transforming social dissatisfaction into regime change.

So, as one does, one likewise polls for distrust in government, emplaces covert saboteurs, and then attempts to arrange a 'spontaneous' revolution you can't refuse by a lightning assault. Because that's how opinion in Ukraine was won by the West to begin with, right? At least in that worldview.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I do hope the snake island defenders did actually surrender after making a point.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

fnox posted:

You can’t seriously call yourself anti imperialist while simultaneously accepting the idea that Ukraine is somehow responsible for being invaded.

We don't talk about Bruno you-know

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Randarkman posted:

This is the one I was referring to, tell me, in your own skeptical mind, how exactly this video on its own proves anything concrete at all?

again

All I'm saying is be careful, take with a grain of salt and dont fall into overenthusiastic spirals, I'm speaking from experience here that you dont want to imagine things are going super awesome and then be hit by reality a couple days from now. Just recently the Armenian twitter got victory frenzied like crazy only to find out a week later they lost the war.

I'm with you, I hope the ukranians do well, just be careful.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

All I'm saying is be careful, take with a grain of salt and dont fall into overenthusiastic spirals, I'm speaking from experience here that you dont want to imagine things are going super awesome and then be hit by reality a couple days from now. Just recently the Armenian twitter got victory frenzied like crazy only to find out a week later they lost the war.

I'm with you, I hope the ukranians do well, just be careful.

Take your own advice. This video is worthless on its own, and if you accept that as evidence then you need to reevaluate things.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

"Russia has never been known to make deep fakes or doctor videos for propaganda sources, only trust video ever guys!" :shepface:

Lmao

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Feb 26, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

Isn’t the bosphorous governed by some crazy UN regulations?

Non-Black Sea nations are effectively prohibited from transferring military vessels to the Black Sea, especially capital ships. THere's also a long mandatory waiting period for warships seeking entrance into the straits, and the stay of any ships not owned by local nations is limited to couple weeks max.

Countries with port in Black Sea are able to transfer ships, but still have to obey a waiting period of several days, AFAIK.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the holy poopacy posted:

The thing that gives a little credence to the idea that Russia expected to be done by now is the reaction to sanctions. Either:

1. Russia didn't expect any escalation in sanctions for kicking off the largest shooting war in Europe in decades

2. Russia doesn't care about sanctions and went ahead with the war thinking they could eat the costs

Any of the 3 is possible (and presumably Russian strategists entertained multiple possibilities) but the 3rd seems like the most reasonable one to rely on. U.S. intelligence thought Kyiv would have fallen by now too, so it doesn't seem unreasonable that Russia would have made the same calculation.

I get the feeling that Putin really expected to be able to provoke a response from Ukraine that would give him a casus belli, or at least muddy the waters enough to give room for spin. He went ahead anyway but turns out that was really important for blunting the international response.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Trying to divine omens from Russian state propaganda is a fool's errand, but I would point out that while the island was supposed to be largely demilitarized apart from manning a helicopter platform and a lighthouse, the civilian population of Snake Island was previously estimated to be around 80 people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_Island_(Black_Sea)

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Feb 26, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

This Polish TVN journo standing in front of the gaping hole in the highrise in Kyiv damaged this morning :captainpop::amen:

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

TheCardhouse posted:

https://iz.ru/1296754/2022-02-25/minoborony-soobshchilo-o-sdache-oboroniavshikh-ostrov-zmeinyi-voennykh-ukrainy

https://www.rbc.ru/politics/25/02/2022/62188e729a794789447c86d7

All Russian media, and all the same copy-pasted text. (Which is I guess not surprising because they are told what to report on.)

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497570462464942086?s=20&t=miKjbaHJlKxKF9_YFI-eHw

Looks like a Russian convoy destroyed. Maybe a HQ of some sort.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1497572004706553859

https://twitter.com/TheBaseLeg/status/1497572179625771009

You can see some of those white vans from the earlier tweet here:

https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1497504471277969417

ronya fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Chewbacca Defense posted:

You can't. Ukraine is engaged in an entirely defensive war and the people who support Russia aren't anti-imperialist they're useful idiots.