Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:stare:

This is why you secure your supply lines and communications and don't bypass entire enemy encampments/ blockades

Yeah NATO is definitely assisting with satellite targeting, that's insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Seeing conflicting reports about the status of the Hostomel airport after last night. Russia is claiming they never lost control of it/took it back overnight. It would be a big deal if the Russians took it undamaged enough to be usable, but I can't find anything concrete.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ravenkult posted:

Videos showing abandoned Russian tanks are way more than one by the way.

Speaking of which...
https://twitter.com/WW32022/status/1496974891890978823?s=20&t=l11Yr7xU1p6oCyIixPFbTw

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1497467132950548486?s=20&t=HM8QjIXk7JyFfygCnsKz6g

this was the first source I found but I found this footage on multiple other sources. 87 of the snake island garrison surrendered and they were sent to sevastepol.

Where's "іди нахуй"?

Also...
https://twitter.com/CarthusianP/status/1497528710114721793?s=20&t=XHgQK7ab45BsvM24S1MP6w

If these are the men are actually from Snake Island and they captured 87 men, but none of the people in the livestream are among them, it stands to reason that they still died as the last holdouts?

KitConstantine posted:

Seeing conflicting reports about the status of the Hostomel airport after last night. Russia is claiming they never lost control of it/took it back overnight. It would be a big deal if the Russians took it undamaged enough to be usable, but I can't find anything concrete.

If they took it undamaged, why aren't they using it?

PharmerBoy
Jul 21, 2008

Already gone. What was it?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Relevant Tangent posted:

You can't. Ukraine is engaged in an entirely defensive war and the people who support Russia aren't anti-imperialist they're useful idiots.

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/odr/a-letter-to-the-western-left-from-kyiv/

”This is part of the wider phenomenon in the Western ‘anti-war’ movement, usually called ‘campism’ by critics on the Left. British-Syrian author and activist Leila Al-Shami gave it a stronger name: the “anti-imperialism of idiots”. ”

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Russia IS an imperialist power

China IS an imperialist power

The US IS an imperialist power

Holy poo poo online leftists, Putin and Xi are not trying to establish a workers world order you loving useful idiots.

Insertnamehere31
Jan 23, 2012

This could be the most one-sided fight since 1973 when Ali faced an eighty-foot tall mechanical Joe Frazier. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think the entire Earth was destroyed.

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640

"Rando: Maybe we can haul you back to Russia?

Soldiers: Lmao"

As someone who has never been in a war zone and hopefully never will be, it’s absolutely crazy to me that there are instances of people just chatting with Russian soldiers, like this guy or the sunflower lady. Like they could have just immediately opened fire on him when he slowed down and started talking, but instead they laughed at his joke.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vahakyla posted:

https://international.dsausa.org/statements/no-war-with-russia/

Something that’s making me seriously consider my support for DSA.

This article never mentions Putin or Russian military buildup in the border. It just goes off on railing against US and NATO.

Yeah going to go ahead and cancel that donation on my side because this is absolute psycho poo poo

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TulliusCicero posted:

:stare:

This is why you secure your supply lines and communications and don't bypass entire enemy encampments/ blockades

Yeah NATO is definitely assisting with satellite targeting, that's insane.

TheBaseLeg deleted the tweets, but was just fpleitgenCNN's earlier tweet showing the convoy rolling by + the same video of the a destroyed convoy (not necessarily exactly the same one)

https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1497504471277969417
https://twitter.com/GirkinGirkin/status/1497570462464942086

... I'm still stunned that a CNN correspondent, presumably known and registered to the government, is just chilling on the side of the road in Russia cheerfully filming movements to the front

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute
And Denmark has been looking to their neighbor for inspiration and have just shipped 2000 bulletproof vests (??) and 700 pre-packed medic bags.

There was a discussion in the media before the invasion, why Denmark weren't sending their stock of Stingers, since they have been taken out of use by the Defense. The defense minister replied that the stingers were too old and would not be functional.

Something that might come as a surprise for Latvia, who bought Danish stingers back in 2017 and actually shipped some of their stock to Ukraine.

This has been a case study in how you avoid supporting with lethal equipment, without having a good excuse.

(Alright, Denmark is also sending a 100 patient capacity field hospital. Right is right)

Trump fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 26, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

PharmerBoy posted:

Already gone. What was it?

The first was a video of a Russian supply convoy, and the second was of a destroyed convoy (but perhaps not the same one).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Insertnamehere31 posted:

As someone who has never been in a war zone and hopefully never will be, it’s absolutely crazy to me that there are instances of people just chatting with Russian soldiers, like this guy or the sunflower lady. Like they could have just immediately opened fire on him when he slowed down and started talking, but instead they laughed at his joke.

Would Americans just casually shoot up Canadian civilians who approached them, just couple miles away from the border? Maybe they are drilled enough that yes, they would, though I doubt it. Anyway, that's basically what's going on.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Kaal posted:

The first was a video of a Russian supply convoy, and the second was of a destroyed convoy (but perhaps not the same one).

Idk but those vehicles sure looked drat familiar and an hour apart

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Insertnamehere31 posted:

This isn’t an insurgency versus a military.

It’s two organized militaries fighting a convential war, and so what you are seeing is the actual norm, and not the outlier. This is what a front in France might’ve looked like in 1940, and what Falklands war looked like. The war of 1776, and the Civil War. Franco-Prussian war. Etc. There is always the chance for war crimes, and especially collateral damage. But Russia isn’t here to do ethnic cleansing, but instead attempting to achieve conventional war goals. Same reason why you see the prisoners being treated just fine and not beaten by the captors.

These true convential military vs military conflicts are just much rarer in the information era.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Feb 26, 2022

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Kaal posted:

Similar White vans but more trucks and of a different kind.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

steinrokkan posted:

Would Americans just casually shoot up Canadian civilians who approached them, just couple miles away from the border? Maybe they are drilled enough that yes, they would, though I doubt it. Anyway, that's basically what's going on.

Same kinda thing happened a great deal in the American Civil War, especially in the early days.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

steinrokkan posted:

We shoot each other for literally no reason, what would make a canadian special?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Young Freud posted:

If these are the men are actually from Snake Island and they captured 87 men, but none of the people in the livestream are among them, it stands to reason that they still died as the last holdouts?

Does the video on its own actually say anything about who anyone in it is, where it is, or what is happening? Those I think are the important questions and why it doesn't prove anything one way or another.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

TulliusCicero posted:

Idk but those vehicles sure looked drat familiar and an hour apart

That's certainly true. It's just hard to tell about these things.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1497573785414901760?s=20&t=1s3Ad2hR_qHgR7UG-6sXJw

Sounds like someone decided that the city was ripe to drive into. Whelp.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
E: didn't realize this was the DND thread.

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Feb 26, 2022

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Boba Pearl posted:

An american would get the wrong kinnd of bacon on his pizza and go open fire on the nearest school to cool off. Americans (us) are blood thirsty monsters with no respect for life.

e: didn't realize this was the DND thread.

ok :rolleyes:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Trump posted:

There was a discussion in the media before the invasion, why Denmark weren't sending their stock of Stingers, since they have been taken out of use by the Defense. The defense minister replied that the stingers were too old and would not be functional.

Something that might come as a surprise for Latvia, who bought Danish stingers back in 2017 and actually shipped some of their stock to Ukraine.

Stinger batteries have a limited shelf life and need to be replaced every now and then. So I guess Latvians got refurbished Stingers and new batteries from Danish stocks with full support of US, but that takes time.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Comstar posted:

https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1497573785414901760?s=20&t=1s3Ad2hR_qHgR7UG-6sXJw

History is full of great bluffs. But for every successful one, there’s probably 10 that get curbstomped.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Edit

Not worth the probable probation

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Feb 26, 2022

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Al-Saqr posted:

All I'm saying is be careful, take with a grain of salt and dont fall into overenthusiastic spirals, I'm speaking from experience here that you dont want to imagine things are going super awesome and then be hit by reality a couple days from now. Just recently the Armenian twitter got victory frenzied like crazy only to find out a week later they lost the war.

They did? I was only vaguely following that conflict and everything I ever saw, the entire time, was showing the Armenians getting wrecked. I don't think I saw anything positive for the Armenian side the entire time, except when that Russian helicopter got shot down and they hoped Russia would step in sooner than they did.

And the European / English-speaking-internet media I saw was even sympathetic to the Armenians; I didn't have any exposure to Turkish media or whatever that is pro-Azeri.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Regarding the Russian propaganda strategy: the state censors have been demanding deletion of articles mentioning Russian shelling of Ukrainian cities, civilian casualties, or just plain calling it a war, attack or invasion.

https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...los-voinoi-news

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is this what seriously gets posted in the CSPAM thread? Lmao.

Looks like a fairly obvious joke?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/John_Hudson/status/1497574985942118409

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

OddObserver posted:

Regarding the Russian propaganda strategy: the state censors have been demanding deletion of articles mentioning Russian shelling of Ukrainian cities, civilian casualties, or just plain calling it a war, attack or invasion.

https://novayagazeta.ru/articles/20...los-voinoi-news

Give it enough time and they’ll start calling the Ukrainian military rioters and insurgents: “as you can see on this official document, Ukraine has been Russian territory since 1488, so really it’s an internal unrest we have on our hands.”

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

steinrokkan posted:

US literally shelled the press hotel in Baghdad, way after its location and purpose had been relayed to command.

It's a bit weird how russian troops on the ground seem to be mostly keeping their cool (when the cameras are on, mind), letting civilians berate them, reporters come up and film, all the while their bosses do everything but hiss and spit blood on world news.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Is this what seriously gets posted in the CSPAM thread? Lmao.

You should check in on the CSPAM thread. It’s revealing and everyone should see. Don’t touch the poop of course. They’re allowed to hell dump us but not the other way around!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

All I'm saying is be careful, take with a grain of salt and dont fall into overenthusiastic spirals, I'm speaking from experience here that you dont want to imagine things are going super awesome and then be hit by reality a couple days from now. Just recently the Armenian twitter got victory frenzied like crazy only to find out a week later they lost the war.

I'm with you, I hope the ukranians do well, just be careful.

Thanks for you concern for this thread, but I don't think anyone here has any delusions about Ukraine being able to win this war. At best people hope they can win some concenssions like some degree of autonomy under Russian occupation through a negotiated peace instead of full surrender.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Randarkman posted:

Does the video on its own actually say anything about who anyone in it is, where it is, or what is happening? Those I think are the important questions and why it doesn't prove anything one way or another.

And the answer is of course not. It's not proof of anything. It's undated video of unidentified guys getting water near a ship. But beyond the total lack of evidentiary value, it's a good example of why people need to do source analysis. Russian state media is not at all trustworthy, and there is no value in trying to parse some sort of truth from an organization that constantly lies. Some goons really struggle with this simple fact. Others simply don't care.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 26, 2022

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Al-Saqr posted:

https://twitter.com/RWApodcast/status/1497467132950548486?s=20&t=HM8QjIXk7JyFfygCnsKz6g

this was the first source I found but I found this footage on multiple other sources. 87 of the snake island garrison surrendered and they were sent to sevastepol.

So what is this video showing, exactly? I can see a bunch of uniformed men lining up in an orderly to grab bags of something or other and then walking away with minimal supervision or guards. How exactly do we know that these are Ukrainian prisoners and not, say, Russian troops getting Russian supplies? Honest question, because I'm not familiar with the identifying marks in question.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Comstar posted:

Police doing police things :cop:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I would assume the Russian troops have some kind of tracking gps systems but honestly at this point do they?

Sephyr posted:

US literally shelled the press hotel in Baghdad, way after its location and purpose had been relayed to command.

It's a bit weird how russian troops on the ground seem to be mostly keeping their cool (when the cameras are on, mind), letting civilians berate them, reporters come up and film, all the while their bosses do everything but hiss and spit blood on world news.

It's almost like morale is terribly low and they don't want to die for no reason so the Kremlin can then send in "the BIG BOIS"

strange that

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sephyr posted:

I have some news for ya, the Russian soldiers who are in the actual combat areas aren't palling around with the locals either!

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

In part 2 he claims the war is costing Russia $20 billion/day which I find hard to believe. It took us a decade to spend a trillion $ in Iraq half a world away, Russia’s going to spend that much in 50 days with a common border.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

I would assume the Russian troops have some kind of tracking gps systems but honestly at this point do they?

It's almost like morale is terribly low and they don't want to die for no reason so the Kremlin can then send in "the BIG BOIS"

strange that

I'd imagine stressed-out, low-morale soldiers would be WAY more violent and lashing out.