Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer
I got mine at 1:13 est today and preordered within the first minute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Yikes switch emulation is pretty bad! Good thing I just have a switch lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1497346302878699524?s=21

And we wait

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
every time i get an email, and it’s not about my big Deck, i get a little sadder

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Did those of you who got the email get ship dates? Just wondering what that delay is.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Staggered Q1 emailing makes a lot more sense, but boy, does it sting knowing that I'll be waiting a while!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Aww, guessing I'm in the March 7th batch at the earliest. Was hoping I'd have mine by the 10th at least for reasons. Oh well.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

april.. april april.. I was originally Q1 so I'm hoping I'm in the april slot for q2

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

April feels so drat far.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Great review.

A quick rundown of questions people had in mind:

- Overall the Steam Deck is very impressive “better than you think.”

- Running games in native resolution (800p) that are properly optimized have almost the same exact performance as a base PS4.

- Running a Steam Deck game at 1080p has ~2/3rds the performance of a PS4 game that ran on 1080p.

- Battery life is an hour and a half for high end games, two hours for high end games customized to save battery life, and over six hours for 2D indie titles like Cuphead.

- Glitches and crashes do happen but all in all most games work great on the deck. Though most isn’t all. That said Valve is hard at work at patching Proton and there already have been noticeable improvements on that front with games like Forza Horizon 5.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I'll be lucky to get mine this year at this rate. May as well change my focus to trying to get my hands on a PS5.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

flavor.flv posted:

I wish I could find my email valve so I could shut it off! lol just a little office humor for more check out https://www.dilbert
I think something's wrong with the website it just keeps playing this video on loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TVmtli2iYQ

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Wonder when this'll get an australian release.

Probably the 1.0 hardware will get a release when the rest of the world gets 2.0

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Rosalie_A posted:

When did you get your email?

1:02 EST, so 2 minutes after they started getting sent out.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Hooray I can talk about this thing now! I'm really proud of what the Proton team has accomplished over the past half-decade, culminating in this product. Definitely a lot more work ahead of us to keep improving things, but it really is a huge accomplishment. The amount work that has gone into this product is more than you can imagine: Proton and all of its components, open source graphics driver work, packaging the operating system, kernel work, the brand new Steam UI, the hardware team at Valve, and of course the decades of work on Wine and other Linux system software before Valve even entered the picture. It was thrilling today reading all the reviews and talking about them over pizza with coworkers. I think there's a really bright future ahead for the Deck.

Anyway. I wanted to share some of my favorite things I've played over the past couple weeks on the Deck.

I was into Guilty Gear Strive on PS4. Then I got an Xbox and canceled my PS Plus subscription, which meant I could no longer play it online. But thanks to the Deck, I'm back in! Works great with a Switch controller connected over Bluetooth. No dongles or anything needed.

I've also been playing through Thimbleweed Park for the 2nd time. Mostly putting in an hour in bed before I go to sleep. Point and click adventure games work great on the touchscreen.

Went back and revisited Bit Trip Runner 2, my favorite in the series.

And I just got started on FIST: Forged in Shadow Torch, a metroidvania that made appearances on several GOTY lists last year. I'm looking forward to digging into it (though I'm probably going to do Elden Ring first).

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I'm pretty sure they literally sent them all out at once; seems like anyone who hasn't received an email yet is unlikely to get one until the March 7th batch at the earliest.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Hooray I can talk about this thing now!

Nice, thank you!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
This thing looks really cool and the more I've read and watched on it I'm really thinking of either reselling mine or just cancelling my preorder and hoping they do a version 2.0 in a year and a half or so that addresses the battery life and things. It looks so awesome, but as someone that has a pretty beefy PC already, I'm not sure I can justify this purchase right now.

Who knows though I'll probably change my mind a dozen times till April when I get my email.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean out of all the things to get ironed out I don’t think the battery stuff is one of them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean out of all the things to get ironed out I don’t think the battery stuff is one of them.
I'm considering using the built-in 30fps limiter to have a stable framerate anyway, since that seems to almost double the battery life on the most intensive games.
It seems to bump the battery to closer to 3-4 hrs.

In addition, I'm also mostly looking at this as a backlog device with older games and emulation getting more play, which extends the battery further.
The games they've been mentioning that eat up the battery in 1.5 hrs are games I'd rather play on a PS5 on my big TV.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

All the battery complaints strike me as odd, because... what did they expect? What are we comparing it to? It sounds like it matches what Valve said it would do from the very beginning.

When was the last time a handheld gaming system had a battery life greater than 8 hours?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FBS posted:

All the battery complaints strike me as odd, because... what did they expect? What are we comparing it to? It sounds like it matches what Valve said it would do from the very beginning.

When was the last time a handheld gaming system had a battery life greater than 8 hours?

Yeah this is more or less how the switch goes for it’s more intensive games so I don’t think fixing it is something o expect.

I know the switch does have an extension so you could get something like that

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Just buy a backup battery and a long usb-c capable if you plan on playing portably for long stretches of time outside your house.

Looks like I gotta wait till at least March 7th :(

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmmmZwk01CY

Switch Emulation on the Deck via Ryujinx and Yuzu. Ryujinx runs Odyssey pretty drat well, Yuzu struggles in 3D titles but it looks like the easier 2D games run just fine. Pretty awesome.

edit: A lot of the stuttering according to the comments is the shaders being cached, which only happens once so I guess you'd never see it most of the time.

editedit: Turns out that there's a Ryujinx installer called Pinejinx that is optimized to tweak the settings of the emulator for better performance and specifically AMD hardware and The Phawx didn't use them.

sigher fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 26, 2022

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Battery life has been declining in handhelds for years.

The Gameboy lasted 30 hours.

The Gameboy Advanced lasted 15 hours.

The Nintendo DS lasted 10 hours.

The Nintendo 3DS lasted 7 hours.

The Switch lasts like 3 hours.

Battery technology just hasn't evolved as much as chip tech. Hence why hardware designers do everything to make board and chips as small as possible to cram in big batteries.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Feb 26, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Once we actually get some new battery tech it’s going to be game changing for literally everything.

AFAIK solid state batteries have always been just out of reach but could be the next jump we need.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is there a larger bezel option?
I don't know what's wrong with your switch but 4-5 is pretty normal for them since the first revision.
My worry is valve would fix steam deck issues with revision 2.0 but looking at my steam controller v1 I worry that will never happen

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Feb 26, 2022

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/12/20802539/nintendo-switch-v2-new-updated-battery-console-how-to-buy

Original Switch was like 3 hours for intensive games but the 2nd revision switch (red box) doubled it to 5-6 hours for intensive games due to switching to a more efficient chipset.

Dave2D Steam Deck Review

-covers the controls in depth
-unconventional button/stick/dpad layout feels very comfortable
-dpad and buttons are NOT good for fighting games
-touch pads have weaker haptics than steam controller but still feel very good to use

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxcvwuaXC_w

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The United States posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/12/20802539/nintendo-switch-v2-new-updated-battery-console-how-to-buy

Original Switch was like 3 hours for intensive games but the 2nd revision switch (red box) doubled it to 5-6 hours for intensive games due to switching to a more efficient chipset.

And that more efficient chipset is still based on old 16nm tech, if Nintendo used 7nm like Valve is then the Switch could probably push close to 10 hours

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

punk rebel ecks posted:

Battery life has been declining in handhelds for years.

The Gameboy lasted 30 hours.

The Gameboy Advanced lasted 15 hours.

The Nintendo DS lasted 10 hours.

The Nintendo 3DS lasted 7 hours.

The Switch lasts like 3 hours.

Battery technology just hasn't evolved as much as chip tech. Hence why hardware designers do everything to make board and chips as small as possible to cram in big batteries.

Battery life was hosed soon after the Gameboy with the GameGear. Playing one of those for all of 5 minutes back in the day was horseshit, ever since then I'll praise anything that lasts more than an hour.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Power banks are cheap and I don't see the big issue. Yeah more would be better but it isn't a deal breaker.

2 hours is fine as a dad gamer anyway, I never can play my launch day switch from full to empty in a sitting anyway. :v:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Battery life was hosed before the gameboy, they just went with ancient guts and a crappy screen so there wasn't any power draw to begin with.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

sigher posted:

Battery life was hosed soon after the Gameboy with the GameGear. Playing one of those for all of 5 minutes back in the day was horseshit, ever since then I'll praise anything that lasts more than an hour.

lol the game gear was just a battery powered master system

you want a good laugh check out the battery life on a nomad

Pikhezu
Jan 1, 2021

e.pilot posted:

lol the game gear was just a battery powered master system

you want a good laugh check out the battery life on a nomad

Not sure if :thejoke: but I've never been able to use batteries on my nomad. Just used the Genesis 3's power cord.

Bought it 20yrs ago used for $10 and I've never found whatever external accessory allows it to run off battery. How bad was it?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pikhezu posted:

Not sure if :thejoke: but I've never been able to use batteries on my nomad. Just used the Genesis 3's power cord.

Bought it 20yrs ago used for $10 and I've never found whatever external accessory allows it to run off battery. How bad was it?

Six AA batteries in the Nomad got you about two hours. A little more if you were really lucky.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Waiting on Nomad Air relaunch where it's 4 pounds

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

It blows my mind that those old console didn't have those rechargeable battery accessories built in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

It blows my mind that those old console didn't have those rechargeable battery accessories built in.

Let me tell you about rechargeable battery tech from back in the day.

Yeah it wasn’t good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Sega sold a rechargeable battery pack for the Nomad that boosted the battery life from two hours to all of, like, 3.5. And the internal batteries started losing their charge capacity after a few dozen discharge / charge cycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

When I was a boy we charged our RC cars for 4 hours and then played with them for 15 minutes, as was the style at the time.