Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

brave as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Afraid we'll find out that Ghost of Kyiv is actually the John McCain of Ukraine and has crashed 4 of their own planes already.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/fpleitgenCNN/status/1497593575508525064

in which the CNN correspondent really just continues doing laps around the Russian side of the border, it seems

I guess it's not secret but still

Filed under 'concerning':

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497593593388752896
https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1497595354031669248

“Like terrorists in Syria, except instead of fighting some goat herders, dirt farmers, and a resistance movement armed with 1970s Soviet tech, we are fighting a professional army with advanced defensive weapons and they are kicking our teeth in.”

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497595587197386765

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So what I'm getting from all this is that it turns out driving your mechanized forces into an enemy country without first gaining air superiority and then not screening them with dismounted infantry is ... poor military strategy?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ZombieLenin posted:

It’s already in the scary phase, frankly; however, we are entering the phase where the greatest likelihood of a miscalculation on Putin’s part leads to something far more dangerous.

Yeah, the longer this drags on, the worse the damage to Ukraine and the greater the danger of it becoming bigger. It doesn't even have to be a miscalculation on Putin's part, the longer the war goes on the more chances there are for another country to get sucked or dragged in to the fighting.

Hell, we've already got calls in the US Congress for the US military to enforce a no-fly zone.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1497594179526008840

https://twitter.com/herszenhorn/status/1497594781630881799

https://twitter.com/CarlMinzner/status/1497314646986010634

quote:

State media has reflected this ambiguous stance in portraying the conflict for China’s domestic audience. The evening news reiterates Moscow’s statements describing Russian actions as a “special military operation” targeting military facilities. It shows clips of Putin asserting that Moscow’s assault are the result of NATO actions that left him no choice. However, it also repeats Ukrainian president Zelensky’s statements regarding Ukrainian death tolls. And it shows clips of explosions in urban areas and residential buildings burning.

This is vastly different from the portrayal by official Russian state media outlets of the conflict, which has shown images of quiet and calm Ukrainian streets, and little to no impact on civilian life.

https://twitter.com/CarlMinzner/status/1497576831083503621

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
What about VK, are Ukrainian troop movements being reported there? I know it's technically banned in Ukraine, but what's the presence of pro-Russian Ukrainians like in there? That's a space where I think us westerners don't have much visibility, I'd imagine it's entirely possible whatever leaks are being quickly plugged in Western social media are allowed to stay there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

what is the ranking for russian army units? like i have no idea what the difference between the 35th and the 76th which everyone seems to think i should know

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

If true then there really is no recovering from how inept the Russian Armed Forces have made themselves look.

This is like the Winter War, only even more embarrassing than the Red Army not being able to conquer Finland.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

what is the ranking for russian army units? like i have no idea what the difference between the 35th and the 76th which everyone seems to think i should know

It's not a ranking, a lower number just means the unit was founded earlier. The 35th isn't any more important than the 76th or whatever

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Cinci zoo sniper has a better write up; but guards in the name means it’s considered higher grade.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

As far as I know the number is just an ID, "guards" units are supposed to be elite/privileged compared to generic units IIRC

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Pakled posted:

What about VK, are Ukrainian troop movements being reported there? I know it's technically banned in Ukraine, but what's the presence of pro-Russian Ukrainians like in there? That's a space where I think us westerners don't have much visibility, I'd imagine it's entirely possible whatever leaks are being quickly plugged in Western social media are allowed to stay there.

Telegram is the main front in the posting war.

Twitter isnt as big in the ruspherenet

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Can't even find anything about a 35th guards-rifle brigade/regiment/platoon.

There is however a 35th Combined Arms Army, and if they captured their top brass... boy howdy, nice work.

That's a 3 division formation fyi

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

They really should give these commanders nice hot food with beautiful houses to live in and then show it on Twitter etc so the dumbass 18 year olds running around with rifles in the Russian army see it and go oh man that could be me too. Bonus points if they film them with lots of bottles of alcohol surrounded them

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/MohanCRaja/status/1497402657518264320

https://twitter.com/MohanCRaja/status/1497400294795141124

Domestically Indians still feel very pro-Soviet/Russian, with China and Pakistan being the stalwart US allies. The prospect of a Rus-Pak-China compact is steadily applying pressure to shift this calculus, but half a century of cultural affiliation is slow to unwind

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sean10mm posted:

As far as I know the number is just an ID, "guards" units are supposed to be elite/privileged compared to generic units IIRC

Or special purpose / free-standing units. THe important point is that they supposedly bagged the HQ of the highest operational level unit in the theatre.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

freeasinbeer posted:

Cinci zoo sniper has a better write up; but guards in the name means it’s considered higher grade.

i don't have plat.. anybody got a link?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

A quick search suggest they're most likely talking about the 35th Guards Motor Rifle Brigade, in which case the commander would have been a Brigadier and his chief of staff a colonel (assuming they didn't do some rank-responsibility reorganisation I missed).

e: guys they did not catch an Army HQ on the march at the frontline.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 26, 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

More like it was considered high-grade during WW2.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

I've read that this was actually faked by Russia.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, the longer this drags on, the worse the damage to Ukraine and the greater the danger of it becoming bigger. It doesn't even have to be a miscalculation on Putin's part, the longer the war goes on the more chances there are for another country to get sucked or dragged in to the fighting.

Hell, we've already got calls in the US Congress for the US military to enforce a no-fly zone.

Wouldn't a no-fly zone over Ukraine be a NATO decision and not a US decision?

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I believe this can count as confirmed. I am not going to share the link because he looks rough as hell and possibly seriously wounded, but there is photographic evidence of him alongside his identity papers in Ukrainian custody.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Willo567 posted:

A no-fly zone would be an act of war and is very obviously not going to happen.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Honestly, like China abstaining on the security council resolution, that might be enough to make a lot of Chinese citizens oppose the war. This invasion is about as clear-cut immoral aggression as you can get; virtually every nation not deeply in Russia's pocket has condemned it, there are protests against it all over the world and even big ones in Russia itself. Any population that isn't getting fed pure pro-Putin propaganda 24/7 is probably going to be against the war. Maybe that doesn't matter given China's authoritarian government, but given the amount of monitoring of the populace they do and the domestic strife they've had over time, I wouldn't be surprised to see China's diplomatic position continue shifting to more of an anti-war stance.

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Willo567 posted:

It's not for discussion. A no fly zone is a war declaration and Russia would probably just respond by preemptively deploying tactical nukes against all NATO bases.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/oryxspioenkop/status/1497583738838003713?s=20&t=VN7r_jUVd7Maf2sK3puEbQ

Another long day

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I mean it's not so much 'a declaration of war' as just 'a war', people calling for it are cranks or hot-air balloons

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

surf rock posted:

Honestly, like China abstaining on the security council resolution, that might be enough to make a lot of Chinese citizens oppose the war. This invasion is about as clear-cut immoral aggression as you can get; virtually every nation not deeply in Russia's pocket has condemned it, there are protests against it all over the world and even big ones in Russia itself. Any population that isn't getting fed pure pro-Putin propaganda 24/7 is probably going to be against the war. Maybe that doesn't matter given China's authoritarian government, but given the amount of monitoring of the populace they do and the domestic strife they've had over time, I wouldn't be surprised to see China's diplomatic position continue shifting to more of an anti-war stance.

Yeah it's important to remember that China and Russia share a massive border and a conflicting sphere of interest in central Asia. If the Russians are clearly getting their poo poo pushed in then I could easily see China do a volte face to take advantage of Russian weakness. China can go it alone and doesn't have any interest being tied to a bear in it's death throes

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Willo567 posted:

I don't know what the administrative process would be, but at least one congressperson is calling for it

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1497401964803641347?s=20&t=qMiKq4fJ0_VM9sB39GQIQQ

FishBulbia posted:

It's not for discussion. A no fly zone is a war declaration and Russia would probably just respond by preemptively deploying tactical nukes against all NATO bases.

That seems unlikely. Like, we'd get there pretty quick, but "NATO announces a no-fly zone" would not immediately be followed with launching all the nukes. Both sides would give time for the other side to blink.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

FishBulbia posted:

First of all, it is not going to happen; and second of all, that's a pretty reckless assumption.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

His list is very short compared to what we've been hearing in social media though. He lists 7 tanks total lost for Russia and 10 for Ukraine.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Gripweed posted:

That seems unlikely. Like, we'd get there pretty quick, but "NATO announces a no-fly zone" would not immediately be followed with launching all the nukes. Both sides would give time for the other side to blink.

A no-fly zone is only worth anything if you enforce it, and enforcing it means shooting russians.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Peel posted:

I mean it's not so much 'a declaration of war' as just 'a war', people calling for it are cranks or hot-air balloons

I think people who don't think much about military matters (understandable, most normal people don't) are grasping now for 'things the West can do' and they've heard the phrase 'no-fly zone' as a thing a lot in the past and so are asking about that without really having internalised that that's not a magic legal spell the West can cast to stop planes flying and is a 'we will shoot you down if you try to fly here' threat.

Lots of people aren't war nerds and are doing some rapid learning right now, it's fair to be charitable to them (not people who should know better).

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

TheRat posted:

His list is very short compared to what we've been hearing in social media though. He lists 7 tanks total lost for Russia and 10 for Ukraine.

I'm fairly certain I've seen photos of a lot more than 7 destroyed or heavily damaged Russian MBTs; however, it is a fair enough point that a lot of the images reporting to be taken in Ukraine over the last 3 days were not.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Peel posted:

The problem is, the longer this goes on the greater the pressure to do something will be on Western governments. As that pressure mounts, leaders are going to start making calculations about what they could do that isn't declaring war but is something and might make Putin back down.

I don't know about Europe but in American discourse at least there's been an effort to make "no-fly zones" seem like a less than war option. Like they're a step up from sanctions but still not actually a boots on the ground war, is the vibe you would get from discussions about a no-fly zone in Syria, for example.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

boofhead posted:

i don't have plat.. anybody got a link?

Here you go

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I don’t have any power level rankings for various Russian infantry. However, you can infer some things from their names:

Simple brigade will be like “69th Air Assault Brigade”. With combat experience and successful missions, Russian military units get additional honourifics or awards. These guys? 31st Separate Guards Order of Kutuzov 2nd class Air Assault Brigade. That’s an award, Order of Kutuzov II; a honourific, Guards; and the fact that they’re a Separate Brigade generally means at least one of the following two - they don’t need babysitting by a broader army structure, or they have special logistical support needs, like fancy equipment.

31st fought in 2nd Chechen War, Georgia War, Crimea annexation, and Kazakhstan uprising.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

TheRat posted:

This is the list btw

https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html

Documents destruction of 90 russian vehicles and 87 ukranian vehicles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

TheRat posted:

A no-fly zone is only worth anything if you enforce it, and enforcing it means shooting russians.

yeah but its not like NATO would say "We're doing a no-fly zoneokweaponsreadyFIREFIREFIRE!" there would be an interval in between it being declared and actual planes coming down. I'm not arguing that it wouldn't lead to World War 3, I'm arguing that it wouldn't lead to literal instant finger on the button nukes are flying seconds later, as Fishbulbia suggested.

If we see serious escalation, there will still be off-ramps where both sides give each other a little bit of time to back down. That time may only be a few hours, but still.