Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

BisbyWorl posted:

And with that, my mission to never, ever mention serefin's avatar can finally end! :v:

Sum Gai posted:

Yeah, I was wondering how we were supposed to handle that. Once more a victory for just ignoring it until it no longer matters, it seems!

:sweatdrop:

Would you believe if I said I never considered it might be a problem...?

EDIT: Update on last page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeTosh
Jan 14, 2010
Slippery Tilde

Sum Gai posted:

Yeah, I was wondering how we were supposed to handle that. Once more a victory for just ignoring it until it no longer matters, it seems!

Hey, that's how I went about it.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

I'm glad we all have a common understanding on the concept that drawing attention to it as a spoiler would have been roughly as bad as actually outright spoiling it.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Avatars being basically white noise for any given thread helps a lot. As long as nobody joked about a thread/avatar combo it'd have been fine, and that's what happened.
It's also perfectly in character with the game namedropping Tamamo in her matrix way before we're supposed to know her name.

Speaking of:

serefin99 posted:

Girl Master with a Caster Servant. No preference for name.

Post/avatar/thread combo.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Koboje posted:

I guess it would be a bit awkward if you just Game Overed at this point because you didn't choose Saber or Archer at the start, but with unforgiving games you never know.

Feels like a Caster is also just naturally very vulnerable in this specific format, no lab/base, even a mini portable lab, or spells or mini servants to warn of danger during the roaming in dangerous unknown areas, pretty sure i mentioned this before, but our Caster is, besides direct combat, not doing much Castery stuff.

In the case of this caster her mentality would actually make it even harder than other casters, when her Index is updated you'll see why.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Update XLVIII - Small resistance

Music: School I

Even with Caster recovered, just landing an attack yesterday was a chore and a half. I have to find a way to penetrate that invisibility, or this won't even be a fight.

Sound: Phone ringing

Yikes! The terminal buzzes with the cipher key generation notice. ...Can I crack that invisibility before time runs out? Being able to see my opponent is a pretty basic requirement, I think. I'll make it my top priority. Maybe Rani can help me develop a strategy.

*Sigh* I want a servant, too... One that's a cute boy!

After all, isn't it better to use a skill than risk defeat by using a regular attack?

...It took this long to give out such a basic hint?

I guess my Servant is getting enough magic for now, so no problems there. However... My real concern is that Caster's spell failed to even touch Julius's Servant.

I guess my disappointment is easily read in my expression as Rani gives me an apologetic look. No, that's not it. Not exactly, anyway. Even given the chance, if I can't see Julius's Servant, I'm pretty much helpless at this point.

—So he's hidden from your sight. If that's the case, it'd be safe to assume that your enemy's Servant is an Assassin.

I can't say for sure, but he stays completely hidden and only attacks from the shadows. At the very least, not being able to see him will make it impossible for my Servant to attack him.

Without knowing his true identity, creating an effective strategy will be very difficult. There might be a few ways he can be hiding, such as camouflage or by means of a spell. However, as a Heroic Spirit, he may have access to something unique and unknown.

Until we confirm which of the three possibilities is the right one, we can hope to do nothing. So, for now we should concentrate on finding out how he manages to conceal his presence.

Music: Stops

...? Rani suddenly emerges from her meditation with a serious look on her face. Her look couldn't be caused by thoughts of Julius. I can see pity and puzzlement in her eyes. Is she...thinking about me...? Did something happen? As I start to ask her what just happened, she takes a deep breath and looks straight at me.

There is only you. I wished to stay silent, but I feel that I shouldn't keep secrets from you. ...This is what I've learned. Hakuno, I told you before that I'd find a link to your body—

Music: Duel of Fate

Not a single record of your memories prior to the Holy Grail War exists. I could find nothing. There is no connection to your body as you do not have a physical form. You were not born human.

—I see. No words come to mind. Honestly, I'm not too surprised. I suspected as much already. More so than for myself, I feel more for this girl and the kindness she's shown me.

You must've existed once and you might have been made a Master due to a glitch in the system. You could also be a cyber ghost, the imprint of the soul of one who has died while online. ...In either case, your existence is...indefinable. Also, it cannot be said that you are truly alive.

Being a cyber ghost is unlikely, as even Alice had all her memories of her original life. Odds are good that Hakuno was a school NPC made for the prelims. I mean, if you look back to when this all started:

Update VII posted:

Holy Grail War? I've heard mention of it, but what is it, exactly?

You were asleep for a long time so your memory might still be fuzzy. Let me explain, then. First, the Holy Grail. It supposedly held the blood of a savior and can grant any—

A holy relic said to perform miracles that became well-known through the Arthurian cycle.

While Hakuno had no clue about the Holy Grail War and Servants and Wizards and all that, the first thing she did know about was the Holy Grail itself.

While I nod in sullen understanding, I steel myself to ask the obvious question: Why? Regardless of what I am, I had a feeling this moment of revelation would come. I now know why my memory won't return. Alice's "I've finally met you" now makes sense to me. This body, this mind...is not human. I am just a remnant of a real life, a packet of data. A collection of ones and zeros.

Even if you were to win the Holy Grail and its single wish, you cannot ever leave the SE.RA.PH. Unfortunately, your existence is inexorably tied to the SE.RA.PH. ...Because of this truth, if your reason for fighting was to avoid death, you must let it go now. You no longer have to concern yourself with wounds received in battle. I know it's hard, but if you don't accept the truth, your suffering will only be intensified. Pardon my directness, but I must ask you this now.

This, here, is the core of Fate/Extra:

Does an artificial life have value? Even one that has only existed for a single month?

I really don't want to die.

Fate/Extra says: Yes.

But still, I cannot even begin to contemplate the thought of dying. And just allowing myself to disappear into the ether isn't even an option worth considering. I can think of no compelling reason for giving up now, even considering the costs. I wonder... Could this desperate desire to live be the last vestige of my previous humanity? When I faced Shinji, Dan, Alice, and Julius, my Servant was always there. Also Rin and Leo... I've experienced a lot, suffered a lot, and always did what I thought best... Now, to learn that none of it was real... That I wasn't real... It's not right— In the past, anything artificial wasn't thought to be alive and stories thought to have no life. It was believed that true life could only be born from the living. I wonder if people still feel that way, think that way, even now...

Hakuno Kishinami's life was irreplacable from the moment she first opened her eyes, and that makes her just as valuable as any other Master in here.

Rani's route is honestly better than Rin's, I find. Rin won't develop much in her own route because she's already developed. She knows who she is, what she wants, and even getting knocked out of the War doesn't prevent her from keeping the Grail out of Leo's hands once she teams up with us.

But Rani? The moment the Grail was out of reach for her, she lost whatever meaning another person applied to her life and has to decide what she, as a person, wants for the very first time. Her route is two artifical souls, both made for a single purpose, breaking free of it and trying to figure out what it means to live.

I have sensed a spark within you. A will that will allow you to proceed and persevere. Even one such as I can attest that that is a defining characteristic of all people.

...After that, she continued on, saying that there may be something waiting for me if I survive this. If the Holy Grail does what it's said to do, it might be able to give hope to even a virtual life. I get it now. For someone like me who ”has nothing, is nothing," it shines like a beacon in the dark.

~

I will end the Holy Grail War.

If this is the only place where I am allowed to live, I can't allow it to remain as it is. I do not want this world to be a place where the only way to survive is to kill.

lmao the awkward dodge of Gatou/Ronnie's name.

I'm honestly impressed at how much work went into making these lines as generic as possible.

...use the Holy Grail... ...To reshape...the world...

—I am surprised. But for some reason, I find myself moved. If that is what you desire, please allow me to help you achieve your goal.

~

I have no clue as of yet.

There is no way I can answer. Because it is immediately after the collapse of my foundation up until now.

...Do not overexert yourself. And I understand your hesitation, Hakuno.

...Rani's concern is like a ray of sunshine piercing the gloom of my thoughts. But...to just be eliminated from the Holy Grail War and then erased. There has to be more. Shinji, Dan, and Alice, who I fought. Julius, who was betrayed. And, of course, my own Servant... The Masters whose paths I've crossed, those who I've spoken to, like Rani, Leo and Rin. The things that have happened, the hopes I had... To let it all fade away as if they had no meaning would be a complete and total waste. Dan said to accept the consequences of my acts. Regret, doubt, even defeat is okay. But whatever the odds, stand and face them. Never run away. He said to always move forward towards my goal, to take my life into my own hands. ...Thinking on his words gives me hope. If I win the Holy Grail War, will it give my life meaning? Even if there is nothing for me at the end of this, I will not give up and wait for death.

This also marks the point where Hakuno starts coming into her own. Up until now she's just been desperately avoiding getting killed, but now? Now she's found her reason to keep moving forward, even if it only amounts to keep the deaths of all those behind her from being for nothing.

...hold on a moment, when was Julius betrayed?

~~

Caster speaks to me a little more serious than usual.

I'm kind of glad that you are what you are. It's like you're one of us Servants, or that one person.

Ah, I'm sorry! I mean, I know you're not happy about being like us, but...I mean...sorry... Gah, I almost screwed up again! Anyway, the difference between you and us is focus and experience.

A-Anyway, don't give up! And if you get the Grail, you can wish all of your worries away!

She's really trying to comfort me...at least, I think she is. ...Isn't she...? I have no idea how to respond, so I try to flash her a winning smile and hope that it doesn't come across as a sardonic smirk.

...? What was that? It might've been nothing, but it seemed like Rani had a really odd expression on her face.

A-Anyway... Do you have an answer to my question? Even if you continue fighting, Hakuno, the odds of you being rewarded like the others are low. Knowing this, will you fight the black scorpion? Will you fight to the end as a Master?

Of course. While I still have lingering doubts, this is one thing that I state with absolute confidence.

Hakuno, I see a new star in the heavens, with you as its sole focus. My journey is finally— No, that is irrelevant. I will say nothing more about it. From here on, let us focus on your upcoming fight as warriors planning for victory.

I nod in agreement and silently thank Rani for the compassion she has shown me. I'm sure she wanted to say that running was okay, that there is no reason to continue fighting. But giving up would be wrong. Now, I must win the Holy Grail War in order to shape the future.

Shake things up? What is she planning to do?

Yes, shake things up. I will create three different kinds of magic kilns. One will react to talismans, one will react to thaumaturgy, and one will react to your enemy's chi. I will calculate the exact positions that each of these traps will need to be placed. Hakuno, I trust you'll be able to set these traps in such a way that your enemy will not notice?

—Got it. And of course, I agree with what you've suggested.

Once you're inside the Arena, I'll transmit to you more detailed instructions.

Okay, we have a plan now. All I have to do is place the traps without Julius noticing—

Once I've confirmed that you have entered the Arena, I will explain the details.

merely setting passive traps is all owed according to the rules. So, I will wish you good luck.

Issei actually vanished until this scene.

Probably so the writers wouldn't have to do two versions of his lines.

And why must you follow me all the time? You'll never beat Julius acting like a lost little puppy.

I'll be sure to return this to its rightful owner. Oh, and by the way... Your wonderful teacher has another favor to ask. Care to listen?

Bring it on!

Hmm? You don't sound all that enthusiastic, but whatever. This time around, the Arena contains a few delicacies I have yet to try. The first being... Lobster! I've never had lobster before! Get one for me, and you will find yourself well rewarded. Don't forget that I want...no... I NEED a lobster! Bring one to me during the fifth round, okay?

Tamamo's Magic finally overtakes her Strength.

Even with your Servant back at full health, Kuzuki isn't going to be a pushover. Your best bet is to plan ahead and come up with some strategies... Have you given that any thought?

Honestly, no. Hakuno just spams Skills at things, Rani's the one in charge of strategy.

Music: Fourth Chimeric Lunar Sea - Second Floor

Alright, what's the dungeon for this week?

...an...underwater jungle???

You know what, sure.

Why the hell not.

We will be placing magic kilns throughout the Arena. That Servant is using something to hide his presence. So if one of these kilns can disrupt the source of his invisibility even a little, he should become visible. I analyzed the map extensively and have tried to predict the routes the black scorpion will follow.

We will be setting magic kilns in three places along these paths. Each kiln is set to have a different effect, so they have to be placed apart from each other. We will be able to determine the exact places to set the kilns once you start moving through the Arena. With that said, I wish you the best of luck.

So she already hacked the Arena and mapped its layout. Her attention to detail is truly astonishing. I should take my time and be careful so that all of her assistance doesn't go to waste.

Despite Rani already knowing the floor's layout, our own map still starts with nothing.

The swarms of low quality fish textures have become part of the usual decor.

We have a Necrophobia right off the bat.

And some loot to the side.

Master, we can take that with us with a clear conscience.

Also ramps.

Just ahead is the platform for the first kiln.

Marked by the usual shiny spot.

This seems like a good place to set the kiln. Let's put it here. I will now transmit the anti-artifact kiln. Bring it into contact with the field.

Following Rani's instructions, I put the kiln on the ground. It seems as if the trap code is being encoded into the Arena.

Holy poo poo they actually made a custom model for it.

The installation of the magic kiln is now complete. This magic kiln should react in some way to any equipment the Servant may be using. If he is using some sort of talisman to hide his presence, this kiln will react as he passes by it.

Just past it is a split path.

But both have an enemy, so all the left ramp does is take a bit longer to cross.

There's also a crab rock just floating around.

Let's put it here. I will now compile the kiln. Please wait a moment. It's done. I am now transmitting the anti-thaumaturgy kiln. Please bring it into contact with the field.

As per Rani's instructions, I put the anti-thaumaturgy kiln on the ground.

Each kiln is a different color, as an extra bit of effort.

I've received confirmation that the magic kiln has been successfully installed. If that Servant is using thaumaturgy to conceal himself, this kiln will let us know when he passes by it.

A gate is blocking off the second half of the floor.

It's no more than an attempt at deception, so please leave it be for now.

No exploration for us today, so we'll have to get the Trigger some other time.

Rani this is literally a single path we do not need you to do your best MapQuest impression.

And up one more ramp...

Is the final kiln spot.

As per Rani's orders, I touch the kiln to the ground and it begins transferring data into the field.

This particular magic kiln affects the flow of the spirit through one's meridian lines and blood vessels. If that Servant's invisibility is based on martial arts or some other spiritual technique, this will react. I doubt his martial arts skills are so advanced as to become invisible, but it's better to make sure. The power produced by this particular kiln is miniscule, but if his technique needs perfection, it's that perfection which makes it fragile, in a sense. I can only pray that my meager assistance will bring you one step closer to victory. Well then, I shall see you tomorrow.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, I wonder what the legendary Bajiquan master could possibly be using?

It looks like the way to the next Trigger is blocked. I should just head back now— Or maybe I should stick around and get some more training in.

To the right is a path to nowhere.

You may have noticed that Rani's map at the start listed a hidden passage right here. I kinda forgot about that and will grab it later. :v:

So I just finish off one more level.

And leave.

Next time: SnakeHakuno, this is a sneaking mission.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 16, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Snake Hime: got it, I'll put a silencer on my grenades.
(that was a thing in MGS5 right?)

Fate franchise is the best at these moments, when it drops "congratulations, you're the ghost in the shell but without a shell" and then asks now what?
And Casko caring but having no idea how to properly care is always :3:

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update XLIX - Creeping shadow of the demon

...I have no way of knowing if the water is pure at this point. Even so, I can see where I need to go from here.

I don't know, but I'm okay now.

At Caster's question, I shake my head. I may not know, but I'm not paralyzed by confusion anymore. The days of worrying about my past are done. From now on, I'll live in the present.

~

Thanks to my friends and allies.

I thought I was alone, but that couldn't have been more wrong. I have Rani and Caster to lean on. I know they both want my inner resolve to well up on its own. Just knowing that, I feel like my cup overflows. Although it's up to me to make sure the water's pure. One thing they've taught me is that I shouldn't be ashamed, even if I'm empty now.

~~

Caster gently smiles as I explain my heartfelt sentiments. All right, now I'm ready to fight! My next opponent is Julius, who's been an obstacle from the start. By the time I defeat him, I should be able to accept what I am—

In order to successfully pull off the plan I set in motion yesterday, I need to lay low— I should talk with Rani one last time and then head into the Arena.

You haven't used it yet? Then, you can still contemplate the perfect situation to unleash it in.

That is an issue between Master and Servant. Talk to your Servant about using it. The system doesn't restrict the use of Noble Phantasms. If yours hasn't made an appearance, then... It's probably because your Servant doesn't want to use it.

Oh hey, a new book!

The Harway family leads a Western European plutocracy. It is a corporation with numerous subsidiaries that control many nations and has it own army. About 30% of the world's land and 60% of the world's wealth, based on GDP, belongs to the Harways. The Harways distribute the world's resources and wealth equally among nations. That's their policy. That policy rubs certain groups the wrong way, and those groups retaliate with terrorist acts.

It's Leo... The next head of the Harway family. Maybe he can confirm some of the things I've just learned about the Harway family. For instance, do they really think equal distribution of the world's wealth will lead to world peace?

Of course it will, and of course we can do it. So long as the ruler who presides over it is perfect, the government -will- be fair and just.

What must he think of those who reject the Harways' ideas?

Selfish, perverse individuals do reside within our hierarchy. Rin Tohsaka's displeasure is founded. But, once I become head, I will eradicate those cancers and usher in a new era of human history.

And what happens when old age does you in, Leo? Because if a successor with ulterior motives pops up a few generations down the line the world will be in for a very, very bad time.

A bold claim. He spoke without trepidation and without attachment to the current era that he plans to discard.

Now that I've given you a taste of my utopia, I must be off. Please, use your remaining time wisely.

Prick.

you will need the power of a Noble Phantasm. In this case, restraint could mean your death.

However, it will all be for naught if he doesn't enter the Arena. For that, I have a plan—

A plan? As I look into Rani's now serious visage, I can only wonder what she's going to propose.

Once you are inside, I will drive the scorpion into the Arena after you.

That'd be incredibly dangerous. She might be killed in the attempt. I cannot allow her to risk her life for such a mad plan—

Music: Duel of Fate

Do not worry about me. Be assured that I will make our plan succeed.

However— None of this will matter if Rani is murdered by Julius. As my voice gains heat, Rani looks away as if surprised and embarrassed by my vehemence.

Even though I am but a tool to be used, Hakuno, I feel...strange. My heart feels as if—

The funny thing is that despite being even farther from human than Rani, Hakuno was always more 'human' than her.

Rani isn't a tool to be used. As someone who has saved my life, she is a precious ”friend." I've said this before, but it needs to be said again. That is why I'm so worried about Rani risking her life to help me. Even if he wasn't an opponent, Julius is one who'd kill anyone who stood in his way.

Finally...I think I understand. This is what they mean by a...soul.

So do not worry about me; I will not fall so easily. Concentrate on exposing the scorpion.

I can see her determination in her eyes. I have no choice but to match her strength. This plan will succeed, regardless of what may happen.

I know that he's hacked into the Arena, and has made the school his personal playground... He's desperate to secure a Harway win, but an arrow shot from a poor stance never hits its target.

This level nets Tamamo a rank in Magic, a passive Skill, and a preview of her final Skill.

By slight restoration they mean a 10% refill with every fight. Against bosses? Useless. For normal exploration? Incredible. We can already recoup two Curses every fight thanks to mp_heal, and Breath of the Soul bumps that up to three! And as Tamamo's MP continues to climb, that free restore will just get better and better.

After all you've done, if I can't hold up my end as your Servant I'll turn tail and run.

That's right; we've done as much preparation as we could. Now it's just a matter of following the plan.

Music: Fear

Now then, please wait in the area where you placed the kilns. I will drive the Scorpion in your direction.

While I'm worried about Rani's safety, I need to focus on what I need to do now. I'd better hurry and head to where the kilns are set before Julius and his Servant arrive.

A cutscene starts by the very first ramp.

They're here.

How low a homunculus of the Atlas Institute must have fallen to betray even Eltnam—

... There's nothing particularly wrong. ...Let's go.

If you try to be an idiot and run back...

We need them to come to us, so I recomnend that we head on deeper into the Arena!

Tamamo just yells at you.

Ever so conveniently, the starting platform is juuuuust out of draw distance, stopping you from actually seeing Julius.

The kilns have now hidden themselves.

Also a scene starts at the platform.

As I hide myself in the shadows and wait for Julius to pass by, I receive a message from Rani.

...The scorpion...has just entered the Arena... I leave the rest...up to you... Hakuno...

:ohdear:

Rani?! All I can hear from my terminal now is static. She said Julius was heading this way, but what...did Rani...

It looks like they'll be here soon. Our turn is coming up, so let's get going!

I've got to calm down. Rani fulfilled her promise. Now it's up to me to hold up my end. I cannot fail now.

Is there something wrong?

Huh? No, I was momentarily distracted by a triviality. It's not worth even swatting a fly over.

-I see.

-Nothing. If this one didn't react, it means that his invisibility isn't dependent on an item or Noble Phantasm.

Hakuno, you are terrible at sneaking. You aren't even trying to hide! All Julius has to do is look to the right and he'll spot you!

Let's go to the next trap, Master. Second time's the charm, right?

Caster's right. It'd be a total disaster if the next trap triggered without us being there. We have to move quickly to the next trap and hope that something happens—

We made it. This is where we set the second trap, the one that's set to react to thaumaturgy. And just like before, I hide in the shadows and wait for Julius to arrive.

And now you're on a even plane with him! Does Julius just have non-existant peripheral vision!?

That could be the case. So do we withdraw, Julius? Remember that even a mouse will fight when cornered.

...No need. I'm still on edge after that skirmish with that tiresome girl. If our foe is here, I will crush them.

Is there something wrong?

Almost as if he was aware of our plan, Julius's Servant stopped and then glanced in my direction— My feet suddenly feel like they've been nailed to the ground and my blood seems to freeze in my veins.

No, it is nothing. You seem to be aching for a fight and far be it from me to dampen your enthusiasm.

They then walk to the extremely visible locked gate, instead of the actually open path.

Did they actually overlook us? Or are they just toying with us before striking a potentially fatal blow? As they move on, my paralysis fades away, leaving me with clenched fists and drenched in sweat. As I take a deep breath, I realize that the trap didn't react in any way. So the Servant isn't using thaumaturgy. Only one trap remains; hopefully third time's the charm. At any rate, I need to hurry to where the third trap is.

And here's the last.

This is the third and final trap. The anti-spirit trap. If we can't break through his invisibility by disrupting his chi, we're pretty much dead.

Assassin is just messing with us at this point.

Hmph... Such irritating insolence. Do you know where they are hiding?

Assassin walks up.

And it works!

Music: Duel - Prelude to Confrontation

What are the odds, the martial artist used chi!

What is happening—?!

Truly amazing! Hahaha, most excellent, Julius! It seems our enemy is allied with a magus of the highest order!

As is obvious, you've overcome my Concealment! And the injury you've inflicted will take days to heal!

And as a lucky bonus, the trap also locks out his invisibility for the Elimination Battle!

This isn't the time for mirth...! Be alert for the enemy, as they must be close by!

...He knows we're here! That glance wasn't random after all. A sinister smile forms on the Servant's lips. In contrast, Julius's expression remains frozen, but the terror his presence causes courses through me.

So, what trick are you going to do next? Or should I show you my transforming routine?

Once again, I commend you on defeating my Concealment. No other opponent has managed that before now.

If I am to asphyxiate a target, I'd rather it be a lion than a rat! But still, I am doomed to do only evil!

Anyway, I think it's time that you acknowledge my Master's greatness. Then again, you aren't very smart. Could it be that it wasn't only your muscles that were damaged, but your brain as well? Honestly, the thought of touching you makes my skin crawl, but the evil you've done demands punishment. My dear Master, shall we put an end to all of this now?

It seems that you hide your weakness behind a warrior's pose. Perhaps you are like Daji, but not as civilized?

Alright, that's a low blow, Assassin.

I'll burn you to cinders in the fires of yomi and cook what's left of your body in a wok over the flames!

I cannot maintain this form for long, but I will at least bestow upon you the torment of hell itself...!

Music: Duel - Unauthorized Battle

We finally get a normal Servant duel against Julius.

The main thing here is that Assassin will always use Focused Chi for his first action.

It still doesn't do anything, mind, but keep it in the back of your head for the actual fight.

Julius chips in on the second turn.

Gatou sealed Attack, Ronnie sealed Break, and now Julius seals Guard.

And Assassin's pattern list is set to always follow up with an Attack buff to exploit it. If you see that Attack on action 6 and try to Guard it, they'll punish you.

However, Skills always work. Past that, we just have a normal fight.

We've actually taken off a good chunk of his HP in just three turns, to show how far Tamamo has come!

Separated by the System, Julius's Servant can only bellow at the seriously winded Caster.

The only reason why Leo deigns to notice you is the fact you are one of the masses. However— I still ask, ”Why?" There is something about you that truly irritates me. ...Never mind; I don't care. The Elimination Battle will come soon. It is there that this farce will end.

With those final words, Julius and his Servant fade away, as if they were swallowed by the surrounding darkness. The pressure that seemed to crush everything in the area fades, and my entire being screams with exhaustion. I take a deep breath and look over to Caster, who is standing beside me with a serious expression.

Caster continues to mumble, seemingly oblivious to my presence. While trying to decipher their muttering, my terminal begins to chime.

Rani sounds as if she's in some pain, but her voice still has some of it's characteristic warmth. All that matters is that she's alive. I'm so overcome with emotion at hearing her that I grip my terminal to keep my hands from shaking. —Are you okay, Rani?

Yes. My injuries aren't serious and I should be able to move on my own. More importantly, what of the kilns?

Thanks to you, Rani, we were able to reveal Assassin's presence with the anti-spirit kiln you created. With what we discovered, we should be able to fight them.

Is that so... I'm glad to hear that. I will now restore full access to the Arena. However, do not feel you have to continue fighting today. I apologize for leaving you, but I need to sleep now in order to fully recover. I will see you tomorrow.

The gate unlocks, opening up the second half of the floor.

Now I can forge ahead and explore the areas beyond here. The identity of Julius's Servant and Caster's behavior concerns me, but I have no time to look into it. I have to keep moving forward, being sure that I don't forget to track down the Triggers.

Level 3 knocks the ? off his Class, plus it gives us a second Key Word and two Skills.

Obfuscation posted:

A skill used to completely conceal one's presence.

Although this ability allows the user to become almost completely invisible, the sheer amount of magical energy required almost screams out that some form of thaumaturgy is being used. Should this person's opponent be a skilled magus, their presence would be noticeable in some extrasensory fashion.

There is a way to achieve this state of being without the use of any kind of magical aid and using only the abilities inherent within one's own physical form, but the level of concentration required is far beyond what humans are capable of.

Obfuscation (-) posted:

While a common skill of all Servants of the Assassin Class, the level to which he is able to almost completely obscure his presence goes far above the limits normally associated with this ability.

Concealment (A) posted:

A technique in which one uses their Chi to blend in with the whole of their surroundings. For masters of the ability, it is possible for them to truly become one with the world and have their very forms seem to become invisible.

Next time: We continue fighting today.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Feb 16, 2023

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
That Assassin does not seem to be putting his all into it, he obviously knew they were stepping through a series of likely traps and ambushes and let it happen and our opponent is supremely confident despite facing an enemy he does not really know. It feels like our opponents should have been doing some significant information gathering regarding us and our Servant like we have been doing on them. Of course then they would need to write a ton of extra stuff depending on what servant you chose way back at the start.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Koboje posted:

That Assassin does not seem to be putting his all into it, he obviously knew they were stepping through a series of likely traps and ambushes and let it happen and our opponent is supremely confident despite facing an enemy he does not really know. It feels like our opponents should have been doing some significant information gathering regarding us and our Servant like we have been doing on them. Of course then they would need to write a ton of extra stuff depending on what servant you chose way back at the start.

Assassin just compared Tamamo with Su Daji. I'd say he had enough information to make an educated guess and Tamamo just confirmed it with her reactions.

I think the Daji callout has to be specific to Casko, since it might work to rile Saber up but it would be completely nonsensical against Archerkins.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

Assassin just compared Tamamo with Su Daji. I'd say he had enough information to make an educated guess and Tamamo just confirmed it with her reactions.

I think the Daji callout has to be specific to Casko, since it might work to rile Saber up but it would be completely nonsensical against Archerkins.

Assassin has a tailor made insult for each playable servant. Also, Su Daji is a legendary fox spirit in Chinese mythology so him rolling parallels between Tamamo and Daji wouldn't be that bizzare.

Koboje posted:

Also, it's pretty clear this Assassin is the stereotypical "Arrogant Kung Fu guy" since... well. he's an arrogant kung fu guy, even though he uses Bajiquan.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update L - Release of the seal

Well we're already here, so we might as well finish up the Arena today.

The second half is even more vertical than the first.

Also loot.

Further ahead is the floor's second healing fountain.

Which is guarded by a new Weather Drive-type, the Sandstorm.

Ah yes, the natural diet of all sealife: trees.

Moving on, we come up to an entirely new enemy type. :tviv:

I think the last new regular enemy were, what, the Weather Drives back in Week 3?

This guy is so massive that he can't even move, and will just stare at you until you initiate combat yourself.

He's a Golem, and is the strongest enemy this week.

On the platform with the Golem are two chests. One holds some money.

While the other has Taiga's request.

Past that is a split path.

Heading down the ramp leads t-oh gently caress yes.

The Elixir is the only item in the entire game that can refill Servant MP, and it restores all of it. So even if a fight went on for so long I completely used up all my Master and Servant MP, I can just toss one of these and keep going.

The one downside to them is that they aren't exactly common, so I'll have to ration them out.

Down the other path, we can see a Golem guarding the Trigger.

We also find the exit portal.

Before the Trigger is another Golem, but he doesn't actually pose a threat. The first Golem was surrounded by Sandstorms so you have to fight something no matter what, and the Golem guarding the Trigger takes up the entire hallway, but you can just waltz past this one and there's nothing it can do to stop you.

Two fights later, and the Trigger is ours.

But I still have a bit of the floor left to clear out.

Strangely, Golems will never respawn, just like the Nephilim.

Unlike the Nephilim, however, Golems have no restrictions on what days they spawn, so the three we fought today will be back tomorrow.

I gain a level on the way.

Turns out I just missed some loot by the second healing fountain.

I also remembered the hidden path here.

We have another Nephilim guarding a Mystic Code. Will it be as good as the Staff of Fortitude?

Eeeeeeeh.

And that's the floor picked clean.

Today's the last day of the prep period. Tomorrow...I'll settle the score with Julius. I should do everything I can, so that I have no regrets. I'm also worried about Rani. I have to thank her for yesterday.

Your battles from here on out will be pretty difficult.

If the timing's off, all that will be accomplished is revealing your Servant's true identity. Be careful when you use it.

Oh hey, another book!

Concealment- A very powerful technique that only a handful of warriors, most notably Bajiguan masters of the Qing Dynasty, were able to master. By harnessing their vital energy, masters of this technique were able to make themselves one with both heaven and earth. Doing this allowed them to effectively fade into the background, making them invisible. Bajiquan— That might be the fighting style that Julius's Servant uses. Considering the uniqueness of the form and its characteristic heavy blows, I'm probably not too far off. Beating him will be a challenge, but this knowledge will help. All I can do now is trust in my Servant's power.

hakuno it explicitly tells you he's a bajiquan master in the info matrix

Music: Down to Dawn

It was all thanks to Rani. After hearing her pained voice yesterday, I'm worried about her.

Injury?! I knew I shouldn't have let her put herself in harm's way—

On second thought... I wonder why he let me live. He must've seen me as a threat of some kind. But enough about me, did you learn anything about the Servant by seeing his form?

Julius's Servant. I didn't uncover his identity, but I was able to break through his nigh-perfect ability to hide his presence by throwing his chi into disarray.

I see- A practitioner of kung fu...if his mastery of Concealment is so advanced, he might be a master... I'm fairly certain that Julius's Servant may be a Heroic Spirit with such a background.

wow its almost as if the info matrix already said that

and the book we just read

and assassin himself

and tamamo

the information gathering thing is kinda tacked on, if you couldn't tell

A kung fu master— That would explain his fighting style. If his mastery of kung fu is that advanced, it should make it easier to discern his identity.

Today's your last day to prepare, so be careful. The scorpion will be at his most cautious now.

Rin shows up on 1F with something to say.

What is it you're lacking? Is it insufficient preparation, or is it a paucity of information?

What is it with her? Every time I see her, she immediately starts lambasting me without any warning whatsoever. If I weren't so numb to my situation, I'd probably just go back to my room and sob in humiliation.

Numb? Try blissfully ignorant. It'd be more accurate. Anyway Hakuno, I have time on my hands, so if you want to ask something...do so now. Of course, I'll only answer questions that pertain to being a Master. I normally can't be bothered with things like this, but I'm feeling generous. So, ask away.

So much for Rin saying she wouldn't help us anymore. :v:

Although I'm a little wary of her offer of help, the opportunity is too good to pass up. That, and she's actually being nice...for her, anyway. So, let me see...

Your thoughts on the Grail War?

I want to know how she feels about the nature of the Holy Grail War. Not about the system per se, but the fact you have to kill to live.

Huh? I'm honestly surprised you're still hung up on that. I can tell you're still in shock that people are dying in this Holy Grail War... I wonder if it could be that your entire view of the Holy Grail War is completely wrong...? ...While I agree the conditions are severe, I cannot say that they are unreasonable. Everything has its limits. The land, resources, reputation; even time itself is finite. Everyone has different goals, and the resources to fulfill them are limited, which leads to conflict. To have your wish granted, another's wish must be denied. ...That's the way of the world. The rules found here in the SE.RA.PH are simple compared to those that govern the real world. I mean, in the real world innocent bystanders are frequently victims of the fighting around them. Compared to that, the terms of the Holy Grail War are quite fair. I'd go as far to say moral... The motivations and consequences are made clear, and there are no innocents here.

And don't forget that conflict between individuals is not necessarily a bad thing. Understand your foe to win. Anticipate your opponent to win. Respect your opponent to win. These three things are what I consider to be the essence of the Grail War. How this reality came to be the Holy Grail War, I honestly couldn't tell you. I personally think the system was created for the purpose of better understanding mankind.

What is the fate of the world?

I want to ask about the fate of the world. Because I have no memories of the past, or what it is like on Earth, everything is a mystery to me.

Hmm... It seems that even after being told, nothing has really registered with you. It's obvious that you still have no idea what state the real world is in. Let me try to explain it again from a different angle. The world is doomed to wither and die. It's not going to happen right away, of course. There's no easily identifiable danger to prevent. There was a global catastrophe thirty years ago, but it actually helped stabilize the population. However, with the massive loss of life, all progress came to a crashing halt.

Thanks to everything that came after this, namely Extella and Cosmos in the Lostbelt, this line has become retroactively terrifying.

New discoveries, scientific breakthroughs, even space travel have all come to a standstill. Mankind has yet to even explore the moon. History itself has somehow been corrupted. Since the near-extinction of mankind, human society has stagnated, like water in a marsh. The Harway family wants to keep the status quo, as it is easier to maintain than change. That may work in the short term, but resource scarcity and environmental decay isn't far off. Like walking down an incline, it's only really noticeable if you look ahead instead of at your feet. And if the incline was endless and there was no hope at the end, would you keep going? I don't hold to that fatalistic view. That's why I'm here; to fight against a hopeless future. To defeat the short-sighted plutocrats who'd allow the world to rot away— Namely, the Harways.

The value of a person's wish isn't determined by its grandeur or its intent. Everyone has their own reasons for entering. I just thought I'd share mine with you. So, is there anything else you'd like to ask?

I'm good. Thanks anyway.

I don't really have anything in particular to ask. Sorry if you think I was wasting your time.

Is that so? ...Well, if you say so. I'm surprised at your diligence, to be honest.

Hakuno Kishinami: Slowly getting brighter.

Oh, you were busy? Sorry for holding you up. I take it you were going to the Arena? Be careful.

As she watches me go, she raises her hand and waves at me. ...That was...totally unexpected. Could today be the one day of the year when Rin is actually in a good mood?

~

Oh, you were heading to the Arena now? Be sure to train seriously.

To commemorate this moment, allow me to give you my prized tea service.

~

It looks like I'll be eating well tonight! I'd better hurry home to see what I've been missing!

Over a month into the Holy Grail War, and Hakuno finally has something to drink.

It may be hard to believe, but I think the reality of this place is just now starting to set in...

*Sigh* I wish I could have gotten my hands on one. Are they as good as people say?

Honestly, I've never even entertained the possibility of you defeating Kuzuki, but... The more I think on it, the more I begin to feel that you're the one I should be worried about.

Today is a free day, in case you weren't able to get the Trigger after dealing with Julius.

Seriously, how do you justify this? Hollow Earth theory? Global warming?

Tamamo has a few things to say.

I hate this Arena. I don't want to get bit by a bug. I don't see any bugs, but—

I get one more level.

And leave.

Music: School III

It's a little annoying for Tamamo to have been lent a hand by that woman, but sacrifices must be made.

And, Tamamo knows how to milk a rival for all she's worth... Because she's clever as a fox!

She emphasizes her pun with a big smile. I'd ask her what she means by rival, but now's not the time. Sacrifices needing to be made and all.

Okay, Master. I've written down everything you need to know about my Noble Phantasm. Please read the instructions really carefully. If you don't know how to use it, a Noble Phantasm is useless.

That's right.

Tamamo tells me the name of her Noble Phantasm without hesitation. It's...a blessing?!

We finally get Tamamo's Noble Phantasm.

Yes. A blessing of energy, or blessed energy. There were other forms my Noble Phantasm could have taken, but this fits me best. It's the most important piece of information to know about Tamamo. Please use it to its fullest, my dear Master. ♥

Her tone is sweet, but the words she speaks are serious. Just as Tamamo says, I have to use her Noble Phantasm to its fullest if we want to win. ...She trusts me completely, so I have to make sure I'm worthy of her trust on the battlefield.

Caster's Noble Phantasm, Blessings of Amaterasu, can be used after using any Skills 9 times in a single battle. Once activated, the MP cost for all Skills used in the current turn is reduced to zero. Also, your Servant's Noble Phantasm can only be used in battle once. Be sure to use it to your greatest advantage.

I'll talk more about Tamamo's NP when we actually use it tomorrow.

Also, fun fact, the screenshot here is impossible. We've never fought an Unknown enemy that has just 600 HP, Tamamo has Land of Eternal Bane (her final Skill) but her health is so low that there's no way she's a high enough level for it, her MP is way too low for what level she is at (Tamamo broke 1000 HP at level 21 and had 272 MP, for comparison), and if you look closely, the battlefield looks like the same purple-pinkish of Week 3 Floor 1, which is way too early for any of this.

Tamamo's Level 3 Matrix just holds her NP.

The Eightfold Blessing of Amaterasu posted:

A mirror wielded by Tamamo-no-Mae. It is one of the sacred treasures brought down from the Heavens by the god Takehinateru-no-Mikoto and was originally kept in the great shrine in the Izumo Province. According to passages in the Chronicles of Japan, the mirror was later moved to a site in the Kawachi district at the behest of the Imperial Court.

The mirror is also known as Yata-no-Kagami and is frequently used in rites honoring the sun goddess Amaterasu. In addition to its importance in ritual observances, it is also thought to possess the power to bring the dead back from the afterlife. However, since Caster's rebirth as a Servant, this power is no longer accessible.

Next time: The Elimination Battle

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 16, 2023

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Casko's NP is, well, it deserves a full power Sideshow_Bob_laughter.youtube
(With Tamamo's face pasted over Bob's now that I think about it, it fits)

It's good, is what I'm saying.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

Omobono posted:

Casko's NP is, well, it deserves a full power Sideshow_Bob_laughter.youtube
(With Tamamo's face pasted over Bob's now that I think about it, it fits)

It's good, is what I'm saying.

Great NP (hampered by a stupid restriction in F/E) and one of the *best* support Arts NP in F/GO

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

cdyoung posted:

Great NP (hampered by a stupid restriction in F/E) and one of the *best* support Arts NP in F/GO

I disagree, I think the restriction is both good gameplay AND good storytelling.

Noble Phantasms are the legendary armaments, the finishing moves, the secret techniques. You don't just bust up them round 1 turn 1.
Gameplay wise Tamamo's is something really exciting you build towards, ending with a GLORIOUS round where she dumps everything and the chicken sink into the opponent. Cooked Gawain, anyone? We can have him rare, medium and well done.

Is the only once per battle restriction accurate though? I'm fairly sure it applies to Saber's NP but I seem to recall pulling Tamamo's twice in a single battle.

(In my opinion Grand Order devalued NPs A LOT by having them become basically autoattacks; however the power creep cat has been out of the bag since like month 6 of GO so :shrug: gimme my double Skadi or Castoria looping)

Unrelated: the mirror Tamamo has been using as a blunt weapon for all the game is one of Japan's Three Sacred Treasures, the mirror of Amaterasu. Hot drat, I didn't know nintendium came in glass sheet form back in the mythological era.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 22, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Omobono posted:

Is the only once per battle restriction accurate though? I'm fairly sure it applies to Saber's NP but I seem to recall pulling Tamamo's twice in a single battle.

The tutorial popup explicitly says NPs can only be used once per fight.

I even checked real quick just in case the tutorial lied, and using another 9 skills after her NP doesn't get a second use.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Omobono posted:

Noble Phantasms are the legendary armaments, the finishing moves, the secret techniques. You don't just bust up them round 1 turn 1.
Gameplay wise Tamamo's is something really exciting you build towards, ending with a GLORIOUS round where she dumps everything and the chicken sink into the opponent. Cooked Gawain, anyone? We can have him rare, medium and well done.

(In my opinion Grand Order devalued NPs A LOT by having them become basically autoattacks; however the power creep cat has been out of the bag since like month 6 of GO so :shrug: gimme my double Skadi or Castoria looping)

Not necessarily, even in the original Gae Bolg is so efficient it can be used a bunch without having to resupply mana. The limitation is generally between needing mana resupply (and some are hungrier than others) and also revealing their name. In GO neither of those are issues.

As I recall, Extra Tamamo's NP is pretty solid, though I don't think it has quite as much exploitability as Archer's. Amazing 1-turn power, though.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Omobono posted:

I really hope this isn't a typo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Poil posted:

I really hope this isn't a typo.

I'm a non native speaker and kitchen/chicken in particular tends to trip me up more than it should compared to my fluency level. Sorry for getting your hopes up.

Cyouni posted:

Not necessarily, even in the original Gae Bolg is so efficient it can be used a bunch without having to resupply mana. The limitation is generally between needing mana resupply (and some are hungrier than others) and also revealing their name. In GO neither of those are issues.

As I recall, Extra Tamamo's NP is pretty solid, though I don't think it has quite as much exploitability as Archer's. Amazing 1-turn power, though.

On the other hand Cu is the kind of battlethirsty addict that would never open with the instakill if he could draw the battle out instead.
I never did an Archerkins playthrough, I've got no clue how they modeled his NP this game, so I can't comment on him.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

Archer's genuinely fun this game. At least, insofar as Fate/EXTRA can be fun...

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Tamamo's NP has always been kind of interesting to me. It's actual, in-lore effect is that it functionally gives her infinite mana for a short time, but every game she's been in has interpreted that in a different way.

Here in Extra, it makes all her skills cost 0 for a turn, letting you absolutely unload on the enemy with little to no fear of counterattack.
In Fate/Grand Order, she uses it to power up her allies, healing them, charging their own NP gauges, and even decreasing the cooldown for their skills, one of only a handful of Servants in the entire game capable of doing so.
And in the Extella games, she just creates a bunch of giant, gently caress-off attacks to nuke a room of enemies.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

serefin99 posted:

And in the Extella games, she just creates a bunch of giant, gently caress-off attacks to nuke a room of enemies.

She doesn't use the Mirror in Extella, for some reason she reimagined it as a duel disk sorta contraption she has strapped to her forearm. She uses her Updated F/GO extra attack. which is a big gently caress off nuke spell.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

cdyoung posted:

She doesn't use the Mirror in Extella, for some reason she reimagined it as a duel disk sorta contraption she has strapped to her forearm. She uses her Updated F/GO extra attack. which is a big gently caress off nuke spell.

The appearance might be different, but it's still the same Noble Phantasm.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LI - Elegant moonlight - VS Assassin

The time has finally come.

Music: None

After delivering his reminder, Kotomine leaves. The Elimination Battle is here. I'm about to face my strongest opponent yet. I'll make some final preparations. That means getting outfitted at the commissary and sorting out information in my room.

Julius has been a thorn in our sides ever since we started this journey, even back when we were playing as Newshound.

Now we can finally surpass him.

Julius Belkisk Harway. He's the Harway family's assassin, and an enemy since day one. Caster was fooled by his Servant's ability to...

Obfuscate his presence.

Julius's Servant can obfuscate his presence, which allowed him to take out Caster in one blow. Then, Julius's Servant attacked us again, and Caster saw through it. The attack was...

A magic circuit disruption.

Right. From his attack, I deduced that the enemy uses a special form of martial arts. After witnessing him in action, I have no doubt he's a master. In one blow, he skews his target's nervous and circulatory systems, as well as their magic circuits. Julius's Servant claimed that his technique was so effective that a second strike was needless. For anyone unable to sense his presence, that could indeed be a one-hit K.O. To get around his invisibility, we set up traps to disable it. Thanks to the traps, we learned the source of his invisibility was...

A martial arts technique.

Right, it was a Bajiquan technique based on becoming one with the universe, called Concealment. It is also a sign that Julius's Servant reached a level of kung fu that few martial artists ever do. In other words, Julius's Servant was a kung fu master. There's only one kung fu master in history who claimed he needed no second strike.

Julius is a professional assassin. He knows a heck of a lot more about killing than I do. And on top of that, his Servant is a martial arts master—they're a match made in heaven. I wonder how long I'll last against the two of them—

Character Background posted:

Li Shuwen (1864-1934).

A Chinese martial arts master from Yanshan County, Hebei-Cangzhou. One of the foremost practitioners of the style known as Bajiquan, he was so powerful that many remarked that with him, "a second strike is needless as long a single blow will suffice."

In addition to his skills in hand-to-hand combat, he was also supremely talented in the use of the spear, so much so that he earned the name "Divine Spear Li." His occasional use of this weapon sometimes causes his opponents to mistakenly classify him as a Lancer. While this wouldn't normally be entirely incorrect, due to his Master's desire for a stealthy Servant capable of killing from the shadows, the traits more associated with the Assassin class have come to the fore.

On a final note, since his ability to become invisible is based on his natural abilities and not on any form of thaumaturgy, he is all but undetectable to the vast majority of magi or anyone dependent on magic.

I think living until the 1900's makes Li one of the most modern historical Servants in the game, if not the entire Fate franchise as a whole.

And before you ask, fighting Li on update LI is sheer coincidence. :v:

Rani's gone from her 3F hangout.

So the only thing I can do is cash in my last bit of SP.

Video: Week 5 Elimination Battle

Remember, the only way to leave the Coliseum is to win. If you are ready, I will open the gate.

Enter the Coliseum.

The way to the Coliseum is now open, young Master. I wish you the best of luck and hope that you will return. Remember: It's kill or be killed.

Hahaha. What a pleasant surprise. You improved much since we last met in that sealed space!

Relax, I was just making conversation. Getting to know your opponent is the ultimate luxury! My foes usually crumble from a single blow of my fist, so I find this Holy Grail War to be truly enjoyable.

The opportunity for two people to face each other and try to crush each other's lives comes but rarely.

This master of Concealment and the strongest martial artist of all time must've saw something in my mien. ...There is definitely something I want to say to Julius, to whom I have several mysterious connections to, but—

Julius is special in that he has one of the longest pre-fight conversations in the game, so going through all of this will take a bit of time.

For Reasons, I'll be leaving the second option alone for now.

For what purpose do you fight?

Seeing to it that Leo makes his way to the Holy Grail safely— That is my purpose.

And that justifies your actions?

What you've done is immoral.

Do you think that you have remained untainted through all of this? ...Regardless, your path ends here. I will soon put an end to all of this unpleasantness.

~

I see. I can understand that.

Although, most people here probably think the same way you do. Limiting the range of your actions with some pious moral code won't get you very far.

Hahahahahahahaha! None. It was just an old folderol from an ancestor. In my time, faith and chivalry meant everything! Thoughts like yours were considered seditious. Being eccentric myself, I can appreciate the way you two think! To wallow in death... Whether you abandon your emotions, or have them stripped away, the result is the same. It's not really such a bad idea to get answers to your questions just before your life comes to an end!

Both of those end the conversation, so let's go back up a level.

You serve your younger brother?

Do I serve Leo...? Of course I do. From the moment he was born, it was Leo's destiny to become the next head of the Harway family. As a member of the Harway family, it is only natural that I serve Leo.

You're the eldest, yet you follow?

...I am what some would call an illegitimate child. But even if my birth were sanctioned, Leo is the culmination of the whole of Harway history. There was no opposition to his becoming the next head of the Harway family.

~

Well, he is superior to you...

Is that supposed to be an insult of some kind? I believe I've said this several times already. I have no intention of that. Leo is special in many ways. Our relationship as siblings is meaningless in the face of that fact.

Heading back up again...

...You're lying. Badly.

Hakuno Kishinami: Unable to tell when a girl is into her, but can instantly spot when someone is lying to himself.

...What are you trying to get at, anyway?

You don't seem to care about Leo.

Leo is the next head of the Harway family. I am simply meeting my responsibilities as a family member.

Is your job worth risking your life?

I do not care if I die, as long as I do so while fulfilling the purpose for which I was born.

What an empty life you lead.

I envy your ability to have a misguided sense of superiority in regards to things of that nature.

~

Is there no one you love?

...There is no one in this world worthy of being loved. I find your way of thinking both inexplicably bizarre and unpleasant. Your idea that you can only fight for someone you love is absurd in the extreme.

Rewinding a bit...

And you want nothing for yourself?

Nailed it.

...There might have been at one point, but I don't remember what it could have been.

Going back.

Maybe you want something else?

...More baseless speculation? How pathetic.

...Like, love?

...It's nothing. I was just caught off-guard by what this girl had just said.

I never imagined that would ever get flustered! Maybe you're still too young to embrace death, after all.

No need to glare. If you're this mad because she guessed right, how do you expect to make it to the Grail?

...Who said she guessed right?

Oh, right. You didn't actually confirm anything yeah or nay. My apologies for my false assumption. Hahahahahahahaha!

The scene advances here.

~

Then why are things so hard for you?

...Do I appear to be having a difficult time? You're actually concerned about your enemy's well-being? You are truly beyond any and all hope. Fortunately for me, I don't consider any injuries I may take during the course of the war painful.

That's because you only know pain.

~

I have nothing but pity for you...

...But if I were to wait to be saved, I'd no doubt be a monk at this point. Be silent. I've had enough of your misguided compassion.

Both of those are the final ends of this dialogue tree, but if you don't want to deal with it...

Actually, I have nothing to say...

You can just skip it.

But I must say I find all of this somewhat boring. Wouldn't you agree, Caster?

But since the game wants you to know that Julius is full of poo poo, Tamamo will speedrun the entire conversation for you!

I have to admit that I have a few things I want to ask that Gloomy Gus over there.

For example, what made you want to participate in the Holy Grail War in the first place?

Seeing to it that Leo makes his way to the Holy Grail safely- That is my purpose.

Eh—? You're lying, aren't you?

And being crazy in love right now, I can spot other people who feel the same way about someone.

And whenever you mention Leo, your eyes remain dead, without any emotion reflected in them.

You're here because you have a strong personal desire you want to fulfill.

Well, more woman's intuition, actually. But yeah, it's all pretty much the same thing. I, too, am my Master's Servant because of my personal feelings, and I can easily spot others who feel as I do.

So could you try to tone down your pathetic aura a tad? Like my Master, it's starting to get on my nerves.

... I have no intention of dignifying the ramblings of a delusional vixen with a response of any kind.

It's not like it matters; you won't be able to defeat my Master, anyway. You can die miserable for all I care.

I guess she came by her title of Caster honestly. She definitely has a way with words. Well, that was fun.

Okay, now we can go on to our regularly scheduled deathmatch.

Understood. There are only a few battles remaining. Let's make the most of the ones that lie ahead.

In one sudden movement , the man clad all in black turns around. Those dark , merciless eyes that used to scare the hell out of me—

Just like Julius said at the start of the week: Wizards can make extreme progress in just a short period of time.

Music: Duel - Kill Or Be Killed

I have shed the complacency of earlier and have been born anew thirsting for blood, like the kyuuki! Yes, it's like I've become young again! You are strong! Stronger than any enemy so far! Now, let us compare our strengths. Show me what lies beyond perfection!

C'mon, Master. Let's take him down quickly and cleanly.

As if YOU could defeat US! In one strike, you will understand my martial arts prowess—

I'm not about to lose to you!

Don't say that, fox woman. My spear would be a bit too much for the elderly!

For a Servant, you talk too much. Take her down, Assassin!

So what's going to be the star of the show today? The Staff of Fortitude with mp_heal(16);? Tamamo's Noble Phantasm?

The answer? Neither.

Today's MVP is the humble Exorcist's Blade we got waaaaaaaaay back in Week 1, and the hack(16); it has.

Just like the duel we had on Day 6, Li will always, always, always spend his first action on Focused Chi every single turn. hack(16); has a 100% proc rate against Skills.

Why is that so important?

See that Failed marker?

That was his Noble Phantasm.

Li has a random chance of using it every turn, but he has to use Focused Chi in order for it to work. By using hack to stun him out of it, he'll never be able to use it.

It's mere child's play no matter how you spin it. Just end it.

And since his first action every single turn is safe, Tamamo can use it to leech a ton of MP via Spirit Theft over the course of the fight.

Li has a few tells on if he'll use his NP or not, but the simplest one is, well, having his second action revealed on the preview. If I know he isn't using it, I can safely use my Master action on mp_heal instead of hack.

Li will also never use his NP and an actual Skill on the same turn, so this is another safe turn.

And as a bonus, Julius will always go for a Guard seal when Li buffs up like this, so you can tell Li won't be using his NP even if you don't get any good moves revealed.

This turn also marks Tamamo hitting 9 Skills used, letting us have the shiny Extra symbol!

Next turn has him break out a new Skill, but it still means he isn't using his NP.

Charged Chi is a three turn Defense buff.

He actually doesn't have any offensive skills at all, relying purely on normal attacks and his Noble Phantasm for damage. This works wonderfully with Tamamo, as it lets her get a safe Break any time a Skill shows up for even more MP.

The buff shaves a good hundred damage or so off of physical attacks. If I had Saber or Archer this could pose a problem, but the majority of Tamamo's damage is coming from Magic, and that doesn't touch Defense in the first place. The only real issue is dropping how much MP she's getting from Breaks.

Naturally, actually seeing the NP icon revealed is an instant hack.

I finally knock him under four digits. In total, Li has 21K HP.

Tamamo's magic damage, for comparison. At this point, her physicals are just to counter revealed moves.

Don't enjoy this, Assassin. Hurry up and get serious.

I gamble on Li using his NP this turn to try and sneak in another Break, and eat a hit for my troubles.

Another turn gets him near death, but Tamamo is starting to run low.

Good thing we have a way to deal with that.

Music: Caster - Extra Life With Anyone She Wants (You should probably listen to this)

Gods residing in Izumo, whose beauty breathes life into our souls. Amaterasu, who illuminates earth, water, and sky. Let it be proof of your purity. Weighted Stone of Tamamo, become the Sacred Mirror of Uka! ...just kidding★

Now we get the fancy status icon! :black101:

Tamamo's theme plays for the rest of the turn.

I gamble on Li using his NP again. If he actually uses it, I'll get the full 100MP from blocking it, instead of having to pay 40 for Aphotic Cave.

I lost the bet two times in a row.

For some extra salt in the wound, he Guarded it, so I don't even block a basic hit.

The rest of the turn goes better.

So, after 5 weeks of waiting, is Blessings of Amaterasu worth the wait?

Honestly, not really, for a number of reasons.

First off, Blessings only lasts for a single turn, meaning I only get, at most, five free Skills. So by paying 270~ MP on the 9 skills needed to use her NP, I save 150. On top of that, most of those turns were revealed in the first place, so really I'm just saving 90 MP on the three unknown moves, then getting a small boost in damage over countering the known moves normally.

And as a major flaw, Blessings still counts as a normal buff, meaning using it against an Attack or a Break causes Tamamo to take a free hit. So my options are to either eat the damage, hold off on using it until I see a first move Guard/buff on the preview, or use it later in the turn and have less time to sling Curses around.

Blessings of Amaterasu is still good, mind you, I feel that Saber and Archer's NPs are much more useful.

You may have noticed Land of Eternal Bane's massive 80 MP cost in the tutorial image last night, it has its own set of problems I'll go over once we actually unlock it. :ssh:

The normal battle music kicks back in as soon as the turn ends.

Honestly, Li isn't surviving this turn, so I might as well take pity on him and let him show off.

Hey, what gives? That damage is pathetic! Arc did 400 damage through Aphotic Cave just last week!

Well, see, No Second Strike is a special Noble Phantasm. Instead of dealing damage normally, it deals 90% of your current HP. It bypasses Guard, but, and say it with me now, Aphotic Cave is a Skill, not a Guard, so Tamamo barely notices it. Hell, if I wanted I could have blocked each use of it for an easy 60 MP refund every time.

And yes, this does mean that No Second Strike, ironically enough, can't kill you without a second strike!

Week 5 is just such a massive power boost for Tamamo that combat has completely flipped sides. Remember when I called Extra's combat 'solved or RNG' back during our very first dungeon crawl? Well now I have so much MP at my disposal that combat is just solved. Unknown move? Use a Skill. Known move? Counter it. Julius has been built up since the prologue, and he could only land a single unintentional hit on me!

Music: Game Over

The famed warrior of the fist walks to Julius's side as he speaks. The black-clad harbinger of death has fallen to one knee, and crouches on the ground.

It's been a long time since I've been in the world. Thanks to you, I was able to fight in it again.

His Command Seal flares up.

The Command Seal on Julius's hand flashes red and starts to vanish.

...What's wrong, Julius?

Leo said that Julius wouldn't fight it if his fate was to fall here.

Julius said that he doesn't care if he dies, so long as he fulfills his purpose.

But here, in his final moments, how does Julius face his end?

He breaks.

A scream that sounds like it's been wrenched from his heart echoes in the chamber.

If Julius was telling the truth, he would have accepted his end and be satisfied with how many threats he removed from Leo's path.

He clasps his hands together as if in prayer and continues to deliriously scream. I don't know if the strange light in his cold eyes is a blaze of madness or what.

Sound: Electronic screeching

But he can't. As Extra has been saying all along, every life has value, whether it's a glitched AI or a broken killer.

Julius begins reciting words that sound like a code or spell in a anguished tone. His reckless opposition to the system causes him so much pain that he can't stop screaming.

For those of you who don't watch the videos, Julius is entirely unvoiced for this.

Kiiiiiiinda kneecaps the whole thing, if you ask me. :v:

Sound: More electronic screeching

And what does this say about Leo's proposed rule? He sees everyone in the world as tools to help maintain the world, but even his own brother rages against that for no greater reason than to just keep on living.

Knees bent and face twisted in pain from defiance, he nevertheless faces imninent deletion. It's a shamefully uncharacteristic display of desperation. And then—

Julius was Leo's right hand for the entire Holy Grail War, so what chance does Leo's reign hold when even he can't accept it?

Sound: Even more electronic screeching

The look in his eyes as he throws his head back and cries out is pure madness.

And with one last, desperate effort...

He... vanishes? Master, Servant, and barrier all disappear.

I don't think I can really say 'farewell' here, so uh...

See you later, Julius Belkisk Harway, Li Shuwen?

... ... After the flash of light, the two of them have disappeared without a trace.

I wonder what happened to Julius—? I have no idea. All I know is that he's gone. ...That means I'm the winner of the fifth round. I'm starting to feel like the end goal is in sight. For a change, I feel invigorated.

Suddenly, I notice there's a person in front of me.

It's Leo... I just defeated Julius, his brother... It only makes sense that Leo would be here. He would want to know the results of the battle.

This changes my opinion of you. You are strong. I see that now.

Leo's voice is so detached. It's not betraying any emotion. As far as I can tell, he doesn't seem to be harboring any feelings of revenge, hate, or the like. I'm not sure I should ask, but I can't stop myself—

That's an odd question. Why would I resent you? People die in battles. This time around, it just happened to be my older brother. That's all. The only noteworthy thing is that you exceeded my expectations.

I think his words are sincere. Leo's tone of voice, body language and facial expression back up what he's saying.

The only thing that's different is that I see you in a changed light.

gently caress.

Music: Breach

It's just as if his eyes were the sun— gentle, yet searing. Like my skin is being burnt away. Leo's emotions really did change. He's never shown that much emotion before. Why did he choose to show it to me, of all people? Me, a stranger. Me, his future enemy.

That's right. Perhaps you'll end up being my final opponent. Huh, that's sort of exciting. I look forward to it if that happens. Well then, I look forward to when we meet you on the battlefield.

Leo is as unrelenting as Julius, if not as obviously sinister. It's like the North Wind and the Sun. I feel like Leo is more advanced than me for sure. The sun sits in the sky as king of the world. The chosen one. I've never thought about how far away it is before. Hopelessly far. ...But eventually, I have to reach out and fight it. Because only one person can obtain the Holy Grail.

And to make Julius' fate even more of a waste, Leo is so much stronger than him that his help wasn't even needed in the first place. He was sacrificed as a precaution.

Noble Phantasms. Recreations of the miracles performed by Heroic Spirits. I've seen a few now. Tamamo's Noble Phantasm doesn't have much value as a single strike, but is excellent in a long engagement. But, even now that I know her Noble Phantasm, I still don't understand enough about my Servant. ...Maybe I should ask Tamamo...?

...What are you, Tamamo?

What are you, Tamamo? Are you more than a normal fox spirit? ...Without thinking, the words slipped out.

She scolded me like a teacher. ...Well, I shudder to think about a world overrun with Tamamos.

I'm a fox, mostly. Just like the magical nine-tailed foxes in Japan folklore, yep. I mean, strictly speaking I'm a yakan. Like Dakini or the great goddess Inari.

A yakan? Those Japanese tea kettles?

Hmmn, is that some kind of Freudian slip, Master?

Don't you know what a yakan is in Chinese buddhism? Would it help if I were to say jackal instead?

Jackal? Like that species of wolf? But I didn't think those lived in ancient Japan...

That's riiight. That's why people mistake me for a fox! And since I'm not really a yakan either, I don't mind being treated like a fox. In fact, foxes are better! They're so much cuter.

This is an actual thing! A bunch of foreign religions drifted into Japan over the centuries, and since they don't have any jackals to go with their new gods, they just syncretized them with foxes to make things simpler.

I understand now. That explains the weird aggression she has sometimes, but I still don't understand her Noble Phantasm.

My Noble Phantasm is a mirror, but in essence it is a symbol for the sun and water, for life and death. Obviously anything that gives life also has power over death. Haven't you ever noticed that the Egyptian god of death has the face of a jackal? As a fellow jackal, I have the same powers. Dog-faces aren't my thing, though.

She must be talking about Anubis. He's the Jackal-headed gatekeeper and judge of the realm of the dead in Egyptian mythology. They say he has a scale where he weighs the heart of a dead person against a single feather. If the heart was heavier, it would be devoured. If it was lighter, the person passed to the afterlife. Is she really comparing herself to such important figures? I know Tamamo-no-Mae is famous, but...

This is... not entirely a Nasu-ism? Like the core myth of Tamamo-no-Mae doesn't tie her to any gods, but there are a few things that came in later on that can be used. It's complicated, I'll talk about it more once Tamamo herself brings it up.

I m-e-a-n, I'm a god.

A big scary god, you know?

Hmn. ...Maybe that was a little too much for an ordinary person like my dear Master to handle.

But, Tamamo's happier this way. I don't want to make my Master too uncomfortable, so let's stop now.

I mean, there are all sorts of gods, anyway! And lots of them are really useless and can't help people! Just don't think about it too much, and the power of love will see us through to the end!

...She dismisses it. It seems Tamamo doesn't want to talk about her identity-or, I should say, her past. I don't want to make things awkward by pressing her about it, so I'll continue this conversation later.

~

...No, I shouldn't probe into this.

...I'll just let things be for now. I don't want to cause any trouble. Tamamo doesn't want to talk about it, either. It's kind of a downer to have this distance between us.

The scene ends here, but asking Tamamo opens up a dialogue option during next week's yellow chat.

No Second Strike posted:

Li Shuwen's blows are almost always fatal, whether he throws a hard blow designed to kill or a simple feint to draw his opponent into an attack. A saying that has managed to survive the passing of years is, "For Li Shuwen, a second strike is needless." It is this saying from which his Noble Phantasm gets its name.

To be accurate, this isn't a Noble Phantasm in the traditional sense of the term. Rather, it is the ultimate expression of the true power possible by mastering the martial arts. Li Shuwen is considered to be one of the very few to have gained total mastery over his style, and in fact was believed to have transcended the need for physical attacks, instead defeating his opponents by engulfing them in Chi.

There is much debate as to whether Li Shuwen actually uses his Chi to defeat his opponents, although the very few who have managed to survive a confrontation with him report suffering all of the effects associated with this type of attack, such as obscured senses, heightened state of paranoia, and the feeling that their nervous system was under almost unendurable strain.

Liuhe Quan (A+++) posted:

A Chinese meditative ideal. It is a belief that true mastery of martial arts comes not through training, but acceptance. As this technique is extremely difficult to understand, let alone master, it is only when achieving the rank of A that one is thought to have actually begun to learn. Those with ranks exceeding A are considered true masters of the art.

Master of the Demonic Fist posted:

Li Shuwen, Master of the Demon Fist. One of the few undisputed masters of martial arts, he maintains a delicate balance between the innate goodness and inherent evil found in all men. He fell victim to poison after earning the undying hatred of the countless families of those he had killed.

As a Servant, the balance he maintained in life has slipped slightly, but he still values rationality greatly. While he does not see much difference between good and evil, he will react with disgust and utter contempt for those who stray from rational thinking. And for those who allow what Christians call "The Seven Deadly Sins" to overwhelm their lives, he brings swift and inevitable death.

Although he was known as a deadly fighter throughout his life, in his later years he discovered that true power lay not in the strength of his fists, but in the strength of his convictions. He spent the remainder of his life following the path of valor, not violence.

He freely acknowledges that in his current incarnation he is nothing more than a professional killer, but does so without bitterness or regret. And although he uses his powers as Julius directs, could it be that...?

Next time: A quick step back.

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Feb 16, 2023

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Update LI.I - Assassin's attack

Music: Game Over

I wonder if they use a pointer for this bit of text, or if we have a Trails situation where each loss cutscene has its own separate version of it.

I collapse under the weight of my own body. As I slump, I see the backs of the two assassins.

An entertaining fight— But, it was a bit too soon for them to fight us.

Let's go.

When their backs vanish from my sight, all that's left to see is darkness. The world starts to warp. It'll...all be over soon. A numbness starts in my toes and tingles its way up until I can no longer feel, smell, or hear... I must not even have a shape anymore—

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Information Matrix - Assassin

No Second Strike posted:

Li Shuwen's blows are almost always fatal, whether he throws a hard blow designed to kill or a simple feint to draw his opponent into an attack. A saying that has managed to survive the passing of years is, "For Li Shuwen, a second strike is needless." It is this saying from which his Noble Phantasm gets its name.

To be accurate, this isn't a Noble Phantasm in the traditional sense of the term. Rather, it is the ultimate expression of the true power possible by mastering the martial arts. Li Shuwen is considered to be one of the very few to have gained total mastery over his style, and in fact was believed to have transcended the need for physical attacks, instead defeating his opponents by engulfing them in Chi.

There is much debate as to whether Li Shuwen actually uses his Chi to defeat his opponents, although the very few who have managed to survive a confrontation with him report suffering all of the effects associated with this type of attack, such as obscured senses, heightened state of paranoia, and the feeling that their nervous system was under almost unendurable strain.

A second strike isn't needed posted:

This was the second name given to one of the strongest practitioners of kung fu in Bajiquan history. Considered to be the ultimate master of Bajiquan, it is said that this person was able to take the life of his opponents with a single gentle touch.

Obfuscation posted:

A skill used to completely conceal one's presence.

Although this ability allows the user to become almost completely invisible, the sheer amount of magical energy required almost screams out that some form of thaumaturgy is being used. Should this person's opponent be a skilled magus, their presence would be noticeable in some extrasensory fashion.

There is a way to achieve this state of being without the use of any kind of magical aid and using only the abilities inherent within one's own physical form, but the level of concentration required is far beyond what humans are capable of.

Obfuscation (-) posted:

While a common skill of all Servants of the Assassin Class, the level to which he is able to almost completely obscure his presence goes far above the limits normally associated with this ability.

Liuhe Quan (A+++) posted:

A Chinese meditative ideal. It is a belief that true mastery of martial arts comes not through training, but acceptance. As this technique is extremely difficult to understand, let alone master, it is only when achieving the rank of A that one is thought to have actually begun to learn. Those with ranks exceeding A are considered true masters of the art.

Concealment (A) posted:

A technique in which one uses their Chi to blend in with the whole of their surroundings. For masters of the ability, it is possible for them to truly become one with the world and have their very forms seem to become invisible.

Li Shuwen (1864-1934).

A Chinese martial arts master from Yanshan County, Hebei-Cangzhou. One of the foremost practitioners of the style known as Bajiquan, he was so powerful that many remarked that with him, "a second strike is needless as long a single blow will suffice."

In addition to his skills in hand-to-hand combat, he was also supremely talented in the use of the spear, so much so that he earned the name "Divine Spear Li." His occasional use of this weapon sometimes causes his opponents to mistakenly classify him as a Lancer. While this wouldn't normally be entirely incorrect, due to his Master's desire for a stealthy Servant capable of killing from the shadows, the traits more associated with the Assassin class have come to the fore.

On a final note, since his ability to become invisible is based on his natural abilities and not on any form of thaumaturgy, he is all but undetectable to the vast majority of magi or anyone dependent on magic.

Master of the Demonic Fist posted:

Li Shuwen, Master of the Demon Fist. One of the few undisputed masters of martial arts, he maintains a delicate balance between the innate goodness and inherent evil found in all men. He fell victim to poison after earning the undying hatred of the countless families of those he had killed.

As a Servant, the balance he maintained in life has slipped slightly, but he still values rationality greatly. While he does not see much difference between good and evil, he will react with disgust and utter contempt for those who stray from rational thinking. And for those who allow what Christians call "The Seven Deadly Sins" to overwhelm their lives, he brings swift and inevitable death.

Although he was known as a deadly fighter throughout his life, in his later years he discovered that true power lay not in the strength of his fists, but in the strength of his convictions. He spent the remainder of his life following the path of valor, not violence.

He freely acknowledges that in his current incarnation he is nothing more than a professional killer, but does so without bitterness or regret. And although he uses his powers as Julius directs, could it be that...?

Combat lines:

Battle start

Alright, what's okay to break?

~

Shall we begin?

~~

Command selection

Ugh, this is boring. Julius, mind if I play a bit?

It's mere child's play no matter how you spin it. Just end it. (High health)

~

How weak, how weak. Your kung fu is lacking. (High health)

~

You're no match. (High health)

~

Haha! The world is vast. Just how I like it!

Don't enjoy this, Assassin. Hurry up and get serious. (Low health)

~

Hahahaha! Well done, splendid, splendid! (Low health)

~

Suffering will end with this... (Low health)

~

You withstood my technique?

I don't believe it… How did you survive? (NP survived)

~~

Normal attacks

Not happening! (Counter)

~

Well now! (Break)

~

That's it for you. (Extra turn)

~

Die like a dog. (Consecutive Extra turn)

~~

Damaged

Ohh...? Did you get past my sphere boundary?

Don't struggle! (Enemy Extra turn)

~

Haha! I'll have to fight seriously against you!

Did they find a weak point of mine? (Consecutive enemy Extra turn)

~

Ahh, what fantastic technique... (Defeated)

~~

Skills

I'll build up my ki for a bit. (Focused Chi)

~

Witness the art of war firsthand! (Heightened Chi)

~

With perfect form, enveloped in the spirit of yang! (Charged Chi)

~

My Bajiquan only needs one hit! Fuun! Haaa! (No Second Strike)

~

Seven wounds gushing blood... crumple over and die! (No Second Strike)

BisbyWorl fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 16, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Information Matrix - Caster (Level 3 Matrix)

The Eightfold Blessing of Amaterasu posted:

A mirror wielded by Tamamo-no-Mae. It is one of the sacred treasures brought down from the Heavens by the god Takehinateru-no-Mikoto and was originally kept in the great shrine in the Izumo Province. According to passages in the Chronicles of Japan, the mirror was later moved to a site in the Kawachi district at the behest of the Imperial Court.

The mirror is also known as Yata-no-Kagami and is frequently used in rites honoring the sun goddess Amaterasu. In addition to its importance in ritual observances, it is also thought to possess the power to bring the dead back from the afterlife. However, since Caster's rebirth as a Servant, this power is no longer accessible.

Maleficium posted:

The Witchcraft that Caster uses is all physical phenomena performed with her own body.

While common Magecraft are programs that "recompose what exists around," Witchcraft are programs that "recompose the raw materials in one's own body."

According to Caster's own words:

"This time there is only one due the constraints of the Moon Cell, but originally I could produce a million troops from my multiple tails!"

That is really suspicious though.

Red Lily of the Killing Stone of Nasu posted:

This skill involves the use of the infamous Killing Stone of Nasu. After her death, Tamamo-no-Mae's spirit began to haunt the area around this stone and also imbued it with a terrible curse that killed any creature that came near it.

Originally located in the Nasu highlands of Tochigi Prefecture, the stone was shattered by a virtuous monk by the name of Gennou who then scattered the pieces across three places in Japan. It is believed that the shards of the rock evolved into fox spirits known in Japanese as kitsune and inukami. The legends go on to say that these newly-born spirits were bound as familiars by wizards powerful enough to establish contracts with the divine.

Territory Creation C posted:

This skill allows one to create a reality tailored specifically to their skills as a magus. Unfortunately for Tamamo-no-Mae her personality is ill-suited for the task of manipulating reality and she has great difficulty even creating a small-scale crafting studio for creating minor amulets and other types of low-level talismans.

Maleficium (EX) posted:

The sacred rituals of the Dakini goddesses. The rituals confer the abilities to perform such actions as foretell the time and place of one's death and manipulate the hearts and minds of both men and women. Due to a number of very harsh lessons impressed upon her in her past, Tamamo-no-Mae no longer makes use of her still formidable skills in these areas.

Transformation (A) posted:

This refers to the abilities of either changing ones appearance or borrowing the physical form of another. As a kitsune, or fox spirit, Tamamo-no-Mae is able to alter her appearance and even species at will. However, due to a traumatizing event in a past incarnation that resulted in her death and temporary damnation, she rarely, if ever, uses this ability.

In the final years of the Heian period, there was a beautiful courtesan in service to the Emperor Toba known as Tamamo-no-Mae. Born Misukume, she first entered the court as a servant at the age of 18, but quickly became a well-respected lady and a favorite of the emperor himself due to her incredible beauty and the depth of her intelligence.

While the stories become somewhat murky on this point, the most widely accepted theory is that an itinerant fortune teller visiting Emperor Toba's court discovered Tamamo-no-Mae's true identity as a nine-tailed fox spirit. Tamamo-no-Mae was denounced as the cause of the emperor's lingering illness and was driven out of the palace and onto the plains of Nasu, where she was killed trying to defend herself against an army of 80,000 soldiers sent by the emperor. While no one knows exactly what happened to her afterwards, it is believed that she was transformed into the legendary killing stone.

Combat lines:

Battle start

My darling will obviously be the winner here, you know?

~

Let's wrap all this up before breakfast.

~

Let's not stress out about this, okay?

~

Master, your orders. (True Name Revealed)

~

Let's clean up this mess without leaving a trace. (True Name Revealed)

~

Okay, Master. Let's crush them swiftly. (True Name Revealed)

~~

Command Selection

I'll show the power of a servant! (Effigy battle)

~

Let's go~! (Normal)

~

Let's begin. (Normal)

~

I'm ready~! (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

I'll dig right in~! (Normal, True Name Revealed)

~

Ugh, come on~. You're so annoying! (VS weak enemy)

~

Life in the human world is fleeting, isn't it? (High health)

~

I'm not in the mood to lose. (High health)

~

Now, cry for me in a more pleasant voice~ (High health)

~

This just isn't worth our time, Master. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

I'd like to get this over with already. (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Do you understand the power of our love now!? (High health, True Name Revealed)

~

Hyaa…! We're on the brink, darling! (Low health)

~

Darling, fight! (Low health)

~

“There is many a slip between a cup and the lip,” and all that, Master! (Low health)

~

We can't afford to lose focus now! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

I can still fight. Let's kick it up a notch! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~

Master, don't give up! (Low health, True Name Revealed)

~~

Commands confirmed

I'll curse you~

~

Please watch me!

~

Here I come!

~

I'll do my best!

~

Please leave it to me! (True Name Revealed)

~~

Normal attacks

Take that! (Attack)

~

Good effort! (Guard)

~

Nope! (Guard)

~

Ineffective! (Guard)

~

Swift is Heaven's vengence! (Counter)

~

Returning the favor! (Counter)

~

Back at you! (Counter)

~

Please die. (Break)

~

I'll break through! (Break)

~

Cry your heart out! (Break)

~

Perfect! (Extra turn)

~

Ah ha, am I glowing? (Extra turn)

~

Here we go! (Extra attack)

~

Let's do it! (Extra attack)

~~

Master support

Thank you!!

~

I'll work even harder!

~

My love is priceless!

~

You won't escape!

~~

Damaged

Owww! (Opponent extra attack)

~

Oh no! They've figured us out, darling! (Opponent extra attack)

~

They got me... (Defeated)

~

Please forgive me, my darling... (Defeated)

~~

Victory

Ha! You're such a genius, darling! (Perfect victory)

~

Master! I'll stick with you forever! (Perfect victory, True Name Revealed)

~

Resent me as much as you want. (Victory)

~

Mhmm, you're very welcome. (Victory)

~

And with that, farewell. (Victory, True Name Revealed)

~

Heh... Please try again later. (Victory, True Name Revealed)

~

I-I thought we were going to die~ (Near-death victory)

~

T-that was an intense fight... (Near-death victory, True Name Revealed)

~~

Skills

Fiery heavens, erupt! (Curse: Fiery Heaven)

~

You burn really well~ (Curse: Fiery Heaven)

~

Frigid heaven, collapse! (Curse: Frigid Heaven)

~

Ice sculpture complete~! (Curse: Frigid Heaven)

~

Split your magic with me, okay? (Charm: Spirit Theft)

~

I'm going to settle a grudge. (Charm: Spirit Theft)

~

Concealed air, gather! (Curse: Chaos Heaven)

~

This might rend your flesh to shreds~ (Curse: Chaos Heaven)

~

Could you please not touch me? (Mantra: Aphotic Cave)

~

Did you think you'd be able to hurt me? (Mantra: Aphotic Cave)

~

Let me show you my true strength. (Mantra: Bestial Sky)

~

Please regret this, okay? (Mantra: Bestial Sky)

~

Gods residing in Izumo, whose beauty breathes life into our souls.
Amaterasu, who illuminates the earth, water, and sky. Let this be proof of your purity.
Weighted Stone of Tamamo, become the Sacred Mirror of Uka!
...just kidding★! (Eightfold Blessings of Amaterasu)

~

Imperial tomb of the Yellow Emperor, more limitless than the realm of the dead. (Eightfold Blessings of Amaterasu)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Slightly earlier update today, so I can get back to Elden Ring.

On a related note, only one update next week.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Leo and the Harways are so full of poo poo, they're disgusting.

Do either CCC or extra materials explain Julius's actual deal? I vaguely remember hearing about it. Either way, we can make some educated guesses based on the pre-battle banter.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

BisbyWorl posted:

[i]I think living until the 1900's makes Li one of the most modern historical Servants in the game, if not the entire Fate franchise as a whole.

Tesla, who died in 1943 -- nine years after Shuwen -- is a bit more modern, and there are a tiny number who were born in the twentieth century, but they all fall under spoilers.

Omobono posted:

Do either CCC or extra materials explain Julius's actual deal? I vaguely remember hearing about it. Either way, we can make some educated guesses based on the pre-battle banter.

Spoiler deleted.

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Feb 26, 2022

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
I cant help but feel a LITTLE cheated at Julius just going out with a bunch of wordless shrieking, I love a Nasu mental breakdown scene.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cdyoung posted:

Assassin has a tailor made insult for each playable servant. Also, Su Daji is a legendary fox spirit in Chinese mythology so him rolling parallels between Tamamo and Daji wouldn't be that bizzare.

Tamamo's lore also says they are the same person.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think had Julius faced Leo. The result would have been like Kotomine and Tokiomi. Namely Julius's desire for the prize and to keep living would result in him backstabbing Leo, and despite how capable he is, I don't know if Leo would see it coming.

Materant
Jul 22, 2010

see, what you don't understand is he now has

THE MANLIEST MUSTACHE

it defies physics

As much as Leo acts indifferent, there's still a tiny bit of tell that lets us know that he cared in some way about Julius, in that he let his mask slip for just a moment on how much he wants to kill us now.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think had Julius faced Leo. The result would have been like Kotomine and Tokiomi. Namely Julius's desire for the prize and to keep living would result in him backstabbing Leo, and despite how capable he is, I don't know if Leo would see it coming.

I don't think so. Leo is all too aware of the realities of power to discount the possibility.
I'd speculate he forced Julius to disclose Li Shuwen's identity and double checked//confirmed it week 1. A refusal or a lie would have given up the jig, and with True Names out I know who I'm betting on between Gawain and Li Shuwen (with no disrespect meant to Li with this statement)

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Materant posted:

As much as Leo acts indifferent, there's still a tiny bit of tell that lets us know that he cared in some way about Julius, in that he let his mask slip for just a moment on how much he wants to kill us now.

I think his deal is less 'revenge' and more 'oh hey that little nothing of a Master might actually pose a challenge to me, what a novel experience!'

Until now, he's just been treating us like a stray cat. He paid attention to us, helped us out here and there, but he wouldn't give us a second thought if a new week rolled around and we weren't there.

Omobono posted:

I know who I'm betting on between Gawain and Li Shuwen (with no disrespect meant to Li with this statement)

Even if Julius managed to win, depending on how long it takes for a person's body to show signs of their soul getting deleted he might still die before he can reach the Grail. Leo drops dead while Julius is fine? Everyone at the Harway HQ knows Julius betrayed him, (or at the very least failed their chosen king) so they should go shank his comatose rear end for his failure.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Omobono posted:

I don't think so. Leo is all too aware of the realities of power to discount the possibility.
I'd speculate he forced Julius to disclose Li Shuwen's identity and double checked//confirmed it week 1. A refusal or a lie would have given up the jig, and with True Names out I know who I'm betting on between Gawain and Li Shuwen (with no disrespect meant to Li with this statement)

I mean more in the respect of instead of Li fighting Gawain. More Julius literally just stabbing Leo in the back.

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

TheDavies posted:

Tesla, who died in 1943 -- nine years after Shuwen -- is a bit more modern, and there are a tiny number who were born in the twentieth century, but they all fall under spoilers.

I can name one 20th century servant that has no way of appearing in any fate material aside from the manga adaptation of Fate/Extra and was one of the random NPCs servant.

It was Neil Freaking Armstrong, he was a Rider and he was honestly one of the more powerful servants in the tournament, but he was also the servant of a nameless background character and he lost to... I think it was Rin, I can't remember.

Omobono posted:

I never did an Archerkins playthrough, I've got no clue how they modeled his NP this game, so I can't comment on him.

Archer's NP is activated after you gain six stacks of Projection.

cdyoung fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 27, 2022

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

cdyoung posted:

I can name one 20th century servant that has no way of appearing in any fate material aside from the manga adaptation of Fate/Extra and was one of the random NPCs servant.

It was Neil Freaking Armstrong, he was a Rider and he was honestly one of the more powerful servants in the tournament, but he was also the servant of a nameless background character and he lost to... I think it was Rin, I can't remember.

Wait, he appears on the manga? I only remember him on LastEncore, which is a spoiler minefield so I won't say anything more. (He is also very minor in there anyway).

I do remember a lot of drama saying Nasu was breaking his rule that the Heroic Spirit cutoff date was 100 years ago... said by Rin "I get every lore piece wrong" Tohsaka, in 2004, and it was just that becoming a spirit was harder after that, not impossible.

Seriously guys, never trust Rin giving you exposition.

...wait, doesn't that mean she'd be wrong here as well? Is the Rin route all fake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdyoung
Mar 2, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Wait, he appears on the manga? I only remember him on LastEncore, which is a spoiler minefield so I won't say anything more. (He is also very minor in there anyway).

I do remember a lot of drama saying Nasu was breaking his rule that the Heroic Spirit cutoff date was 100 years ago... said by Rin "I get every lore piece wrong" Tohsaka, in 2004, and it was just that becoming a spirit was harder after that, not impossible.

Seriously guys, never trust Rin giving you exposition.

...wait, doesn't that mean she'd be wrong here as well? Is the Rin route all fake?

Extra takes place like 150 or two hundred years in the future. so he'd actually make the age cutoff. Fate/Requiem is the one that brakes that rule with it's Main character's Servant.