Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

How/why would WWE sue on behalf of Sid Vicious in 2004-2005? All that comes up for this is an unsourced line from a Wiki, but Sid Eudy also appeared to have zero interaction/contact with WWE between 1997 and 2012.

All that said, I can totally buy WWE sending unenforceable and frivolous legal complaints, but this just seems like a particularly odd/frivolous one.

Surprised they didn't try to sue when Brock dressed up as the Yetay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

still sweaty.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

as we all knew, it was good that Vince fired Shane

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have not read anything about this but I am going to guess what is going on. Most schools have mask requirements that say if you are eating or drinking, then you can have your mask down. Kids are using gum to be constantly “eating” something.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have not read anything about this but I am going to guess what is going on. Most schools have mask requirements that say if you are eating or drinking, then you can have your mask down. Kids are using gum to be constantly “eating” something.

Unrelated to covid. Kind of a weird case used to drum up hysteria for political reasons.

(based on my 5 minutes of googling)

quote:

A Jane Doe and her parents have filed a new lawsuit against Knox County Schools asking them to ban chewing gum and eating in classrooms. The case was filed because Doe allegedly has a medical condition that makes it hard for her to hear the sounds of chewing, according to court documents obtained by WVLT News.

The representatives for Doe, the same firm involved in the ongoing mask suit against KCS, alleges that the Americans with Disabilities Act gives Doe the right to request the change in policy. “Disabilities come in all shapes and sizes, and so do reasonable accommodations,” the documents said. “Knox County Board of Education’s written policy states that students with disabilities are entitled to equal opportunities and it cites the ADA.”

The documents said Doe has Misophonia, described as “an extreme reaction to hearing normal sounds.” The documents alleged that Doe suffers “extreme distress” when she hears the sounds of chewing, and “must escape.”

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 25, 2022

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Kennel posted:

Misophonia

miso crew

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

He's just trying to make a fuss over the fact that two different groups hired the same lawyer to sue the school over unrelated things which is a fairly normal thing because lawyers take money to represent cases.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

graph posted:

miso crew

threatening to hang up on people when they start eating something on the phone... crew

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks for the info.

I now wonder if my daughter has that. She gets very upset and anxious when we eat without the tv on because she says that she can hear everyone chewing.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks for the info.

I now wonder if my daughter has that. She gets very upset and anxious when we eat without the tv on because she says that she can hear everyone chewing.

ayup

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

https://twitter.com/indi_hartwell/status/1497300887512879104?s=21

https://twitter.com/xavsteryt/status/1497314361030893568?s=21

Fed dipshits running defense against Big Dave will never not be embarrassing.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
What is even the point in questioning that? "Like look at Dirty Dave Meltzer just making up imaginary weightlifting contests that NEVER HAPPENED!!!!"

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fed brained dumbasses coming for the king and missing as always.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Drakkel posted:

What is even the point in questioning that? "Like look at Dirty Dave Meltzer just making up imaginary weightlifting contests that NEVER HAPPENED!!!!"

if dave meltzer is lying about a weight lifting event, then what else is he lying about

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Drakkel posted:

I dunno the exact details, but I'm guessing they probably owned the Psycho Sid name/character and that's what their complaint was over. Supposedly that's why Brock Samson was less of a blatant psychopath from the second season on.
I don't think that's how any facet of intellectual property law works.

Sid Eudy would probably be considered a Public Figure and VB would be safe in parodying him in the same way that VB gets away with parodying David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Christopher Lambert, etc. directly or you could have a comedian pretend to be Hulk Hogan or Stone Cold Steve Austin on a sketch comedy show. Even WWE has done this, with "Barack Obama", "Rosie O'Donnell" "Bill Clinton", "David Stern" etc. appearing on Raw. It is also how VB (and so many other shows) are able to do thinly veiled parodies of GI Joe, Batman, Jonny Quest, Scooby Doo, etc. etc. etc. without being sued.

If the argument is that Sid Eudy, who hadn't been on television in a couple of years and was mostly retired from wrestling in 2003 is NOT a public figure, then making him a mass murderer who is generally calmer in seasons 2-up would not really change anything? I also don't know if "has mullet and muscles and is often VERY angry" versus "has mullet and muscles and is seldom SUPER angry" is legally distinct in any way, on top of the question of why people would immediately jump to assuming Brock Samson is a parody of Sid Eudy.

If you want to go from the WWE perspective of them "owning" characters like Diesel and Razor Ramon as the lawsuit against WCW went back in the late 1990s, I don't really know how that would work either. The only way that lawsuit had any legs was that Kevin Nash and Scott Hall had never portrayed characters similar to Diesel and Razor outside of WWF, and those WWF characters involved them changing their ring names, style of gear, hairstyle, accessorizing, accents, etc. to become 'new' characters separate from Kevin Nash and Scott Hall. Crucially, the other part of the lawsuit was that WCW was treating the "invasion" of these "Outsiders" in a way that suggested that two (initially unnamed) WWF characters were appearing on a WCW television program without being explicitly named to give the impression that WWF was involved with the show, creating "confusion" in the market.

The odds that anyone would see Brock Samson and believe that this is real life professional wrestler Sid Eudy (who had not appeared on WWE programming in five years) had turned himself into a cartoon to fight for Venture Bros while still portraying the the WWF character Sycho Sid seems incredibly unlikely. The difference in markets/industries is also why Sid Eudy was able to wrestle as "Sid Vicious" despite there being trademarks actively maintained into the early 1990s by Glitterbest/Malcolm McLaren for "Sid Vicious", since it was incredibly unlikely people would mistake Sid Eudy for the deceased member of the Sex Pistols. Similar lack of confusion explains how Sting and Sting were both able to maintain careers over the past 40 years, though Steve Borden has maintained a trademark on "Sting" for use in professional wrestling since 1995.

To go back to WWE, they had Sid Eudy wrestle for two major runs, one as "Sid Justice" and the other as "Sycho Sid", both presumably because while at this point they weren't quite as trademark-happy as they are now (they never seem to have applied for trademarks for either alt-Sid name) but they had already run afoul of Marvel Comics for promoting "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan and maybe wanted to play it safe with someone they at least briefly saw as their "next Hulk Hogan", so let's just change the name before Malcolm McLaren comes complaining.

That said, compared to Razor Ramon or Diesel or The Undertaker or etc., I can't think of anything besides the name that makes "Sycho Sid" or "Sid Justice" recognizably different from Sid Vicious as he appeared before/in between/after. He's still a giant man wrestling in tights with a curly mullet who often gets angry. And again, Brock Samson is not named Sid, he doesn't wrestle, doesn't dress like Sid, and is a cartoon. I can't imagine how or why WWE would take note of or send any threatening letters to a late night cartoon show with under a million viewers or could demonstrate any sort of marketplace confusion between that and a wrestler

None of this is to say that WWE can't just be wildly and extrajudiciously lovely, they definitely can. But it seems especially silly and frivolous. And in the giant Venture Bros artbook they spend pages discussing various motivations for characters evolving, and this never comes up, or anywhere else besides again, an unsourced line in a Wiki.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 26, 2022

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/LegalTrappeRx/status/1497379110468734982

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Lol that's sweet

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
https://twitter.com/TayConti_/status/1497310505203118080

Get her rear end Tay

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

no serena deeb is the one doing 5 minute matches. cant believe these two dont watch the show

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Danhausen has figured out the speedrun strats for becoming the champion.

https://twitter.com/DanhausenAD/status/1497243162720493577

This would be the "yeah my drawers are full of infinity stones we use them as paperweights" of the Belt Collector saga.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I hope Jade squashes this geek in 5 seconds

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I hope Jade squashes this geek in 5 seconds

I used to think you were cool

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rarity posted:

I used to think you were cool

scoop this!!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The scoop is there will be a new TayBS champion

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

Tay is right but also she can't go much further than 5 either unless she's in there with someone like Shida.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Crapple! posted:

Tay is right but also she can't go much further than 5 either unless she's in there with someone like Shida.

The multiple martial artist doesn't know enough offence to go beyond five minutes, you say? :thunkher:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Crapple! posted:

she does lucha and toyotasaults now

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Alaois posted:

she does lucha and toyotasaults now

All that trampolining with Sammy paying off

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

El Generico posted:

This would be the "yeah my drawers are full of infinity stones we use them as paperweights" of the Belt Collector saga.
trolling a heel champion by carrying around several collector's belts and pointing to a fan in the crowd and declaring them champion too would be a funny shtick

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can Danhausen curse physical objects as well as people? Imagine the chaos that would ensue if he cursed the world championship belt, and various champs tried to appease him to lift his curse.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
https://twitter.com/VorosTwins/status/1497435352562159617

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Fsmhunk posted:

Can Danhausen curse physical objects as well as people? Imagine the chaos that would ensue if he cursed the world championship belt, and various champs tried to appease him to lift his curse.

I don't see why not!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Crapple! posted:

It's funny to see people say stuff like this after the street fight.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The Bunny is like SHida, only more so.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

MassRafTer posted:

It's funny to see people say stuff like this after the street fight.

and even before then there was tay's match with britt, which was very solid if not an instant classic

coconono
Aug 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
send Tay to Ichigaya for a proper blooding.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Barry Bluejeans posted:

and even before then there was tay's match with britt, which was very solid if not an instant classic

It was a really good match that peaked in the final 5 minutes of a 15 minute match making it even sillier to say she can't do much beyond 5!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/JoseAssistant/status/1497697156840316928

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Love that Jose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Fuckin' inspired use of Cameo right here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...utm_name=iossmf