Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Riot Bimbo posted:

those are some sweet lookin' amphorae

octopus account spotted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

neptune taking his fees
octopodes 🤝 hermit crabs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlisonFisk/status/1497132454615867429

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
why do so many of these look like those loving memes lol

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CoolCab posted:

memes are genetic memories resurfacing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

'Mace head' yeah right buddy I know ceremonial purposes when I sees them

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Slavvy posted:

'Mace head' yeah right buddy I know ceremonial purposes when I sees them

"Buddy, they won't let ME gently caress the mace."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
can anyone recommend any survey histories of early Buddhism? book/podcast series preferred, I guess youtube lectures would suffice. I’m looking for broad strokes and especially as it related to existing and developing Vedic traditions in the first few centuries

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

CoolCab posted:

people have always been exactly as dumb and gay as we are right now

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

indigi posted:

can anyone recommend any survey histories of early Buddhism? book/podcast series preferred, I guess youtube lectures would suffice. I’m looking for broad strokes and especially as it related to existing and developing Vedic traditions in the first few centuries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w88sWMukcO4 this is an ongoing series, may not be exactly what you're looking for but it's solid, also the sponsor is a connection to deeper study

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/depthsofwiki/status/1501720705385353219

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

ha, i get it

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
dogs can’t talk! 😂🤣

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Drunkboxer posted:

dogs can’t talk! 😂🤣

dogs can talk they just swore a vow of silence to mourn the fall of Sumer

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

https://twitter.com/abbyfheld/status/1501880993833054208

pretty cool

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Agreed. But somewhat disappointing that the assyriologist who happened to be reading was on twitter and not here. This truly is a dead website.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i was going to say it has to be a man walks into a bar linguistic joke

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

https://twitter.com/slavojvibecheck/status/1501927555049431040?s=20&t=I-EJD9-SGdvVjojBfJE55A

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
well is the dog loving a widow or sucking a dick?

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Yes

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20220308-what-ancient-philosophers-teach-us-about-uncertain-times

how many generations of british people have the aristocracy sold stoicism to at this point?
how stiff can those upper lips get?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/mrianleslie/status/1502398405661835270

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have a weirdly specific question did ancient rome have street kebabs i know theyre from the middle east but im not sure when they were developed or how quickly they spread or if rome had a robust enough supply of meat that they would be economically practical for street vending

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

i have a weirdly specific question did ancient rome have street kebabs i know theyre from the middle east but im not sure when they were developed or how quickly they spread or if rome had a robust enough supply of meat that they would be economically practical for street vending

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/27/950645473/whats-on-the-menu-in-ancient-pompeii-duck-goat-snail-researchers-say

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Some Guy TT posted:

Not sure about kebabs themselves but meat was available, like i say swears online posted "fast food" was available in not just Rome but other cities through out the empire. Casual dining was common for lower class citizens, while the reclining on benches/couches was an upper class thing.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's something you see in any moderately advanced society. rome famously had a lot of labor specialization which necessitates purchasing cooked food for the majority of the population

i assume it was much more advanced than the medieval tavern/country inn stereotype with semi-standardized kitchens able to serve hundreds a day

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Mar 19, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

urban romans had a strong take-out lunch culture centered around the thermopolium, a street vendor with hot food over a brazier. meat on a stick is inevitable

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sometimes I'm like "ancient and foreign people were completely alien, no common conception of race gender class or identity, of the world or of meaning."

sometimes I'm like "drat poo poo don't change huh"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ancient peoples by and large were acutely aware of class, it just didn't bother them in the same way. kind of like the british

honestly tho comparisons to rome are cheating. they had a lot of "modern" institutions and practices purely because those are things that arise under certain conditions that really only rome, the modern world, and a few other select place/era combos have ever experienced. early modern japan is similarly eerie in its modernity sometimes, but it's so much closer to our time that it feels less surprising.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

grotesque erotic nonsense is my favorite cultural trend because in addition to sounding super modern its only referenced in academic literature as this thing that was unfairly discriminated against because it was too queer and feminist and not that its a symptom of brokebrained psychosis that directly led to nearly everything about modern japanese culture that people make fun of

aw nuts i crossed the napoleon line can we try making this the superhistory thread again we seem pretty far removed from the mods that reseparated them

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
uh what part of early modern Japanese culture seems surprisingly modern? idk I never particularly got that impression

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

uh what part of early modern Japanese culture seems surprisingly modern? idk I never particularly got that impression

they invented cops

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Antonymous posted:

sometimes I'm like "ancient and foreign people were completely alien, no common conception of race gender class or identity, of the world or of meaning."

sometimes I'm like "drat poo poo don't change huh"

My favorite connection is that Romans would buy the dirty oil scrapings of athletes and have them made into perfume. It's basically gamer girl bath water!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

grotesque erotic nonsense isnt an amusing phrase i made up its an entire cultural movement

fake edit hmmm its actually erotic grotesque nonsense but that feels wrong somehow

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

edo was pretty feudal because it was more or less a city-prison designed to keep the aristocracy contained, but other urban centers like kyoto and osaka had large middle-classes that supported a large pop art scene and a very active nightlife. there are a lot of other things that i've forgotten the specifics of since it's been probably ten years since i really dove into it, but a lot of modern japanese culture has its roots in the urban life of the 1700s. it's modern in different ways from rome but still pretty far from the samurai-dominated feudal culture people tend to imagine today

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

(browsing website famous for popularizing a photo of a man exposing his anus for the sake of an incomprehensible injoke)

people in prewar japan liked things that were erotic grotesque and nonsensical? well i just cant relate to that at all

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Jazerus posted:

ancient peoples by and large were acutely aware of class, it just didn't bother them in the same way. kind of like the british
How do we know? Wouldn’t most writing on the subject be from the people on top?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Spartacus: its really nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

How do we know? Wouldn’t most writing on the subject be from the people on top?

This is true, there is a clear class character in ancient historians' writing. However there were reformers like the Gracchi brothers so we know there was class conflict. There are also accounts of the actions taken by plebs, like leaving Rome in a massive strike known as secessio plebis.