Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FishBulbia posted:

No fly zone is literally just a Western media euphemism for an air war.
It's also indicative of just have divorced the leadership of a superpower can become from the realities of war (or anything else really), becoming victims of their own propaganda. If you only understand reality through an American lens, and America can effectively behave like its euphemisms aren't euphemisms, then those euphemisms become reality to the class of people who made that poo poo up in the first place. Not that the same propaganda and misconception can't be at play outside the country, or amongst people vociferously opposed to American influence.

Not that America is unique in being able to create these sorts of bubbles, where the propagandists start getting high on their own supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Saladman posted:

But yeah they did dodge consequences for the second Iraq war despite that being as misguided and evil as this invasion of Ukraine.

The US also spent months building a (false) international case against Iraq and made it very clear the objective was removing the Sunni government from the start.

This shitshow started off with Putin lying straight to everyone’s face, getting called out for it, then going ahead anyway with a last minute justification that “It’s ok to invade, these guys are all Nazis. Oh and surprise, two new nations totally exist.”

On the international stage, this is far more brazen and politically evil.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

von Vicious posted:

Ukraine is now accepting donations in Cryptocurrency. Maybe this is more accessible way of donating for some.
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497594592438497282?cxt=HHwWhMC9vZyWw8gpAAAA

Crowdfunding invasion defense via crypto. I love 2022.

Suggestion to the Ukrainian government: sell "Russian warship go gently caress yourself" NFTs.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Gatts posted:

Is there a thought from Russia that once this war is over that European countries are going to end their sanctions and go back to business as usual? Cause I would think the sanctions should take hold but I bet Russian propaganda would say the west just wants to make the people or Russia suffer while the oligarchs and Putin somehow still enjoy some decent life.

Otherwise I don’t see how this doesn’t harm Russia greatly in all areas even with allies. I suppose Putin is committed and can’t back down now unless made to and then he’d have to lose his next election or resign.

Well, of course. The point of sanctions is to punish bad behavior. If the behavior stops, the punishment should stop, too.

I have no idea why you'd think they're going to be forever and ever. That's never the point of them.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Well, of course. The point of sanctions is to punish bad behavior. If the behavior stops, the punishment should stop, too.

I have no idea why you'd think they're going to be forever and ever. That's never the point of them.

What is the bad behavior the sanctions punish? The war only? Or the consequences of war like occupation? Surely it should be the latter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Trump posted:

I'm getting really worried that Russia has had enough and are going to level Kyiv and any other city that resists.

You cannot simply win a war by bombing alone. This one of hard truths of modern warfare. Sure, they could genocide the entire Ukraine but I doubt even Russian army is that insane.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

A Buttery Pastry posted:

It's also indicative of just have divorced the leadership of a superpower can become from the realities of war (or anything else really), becoming victims of their own propaganda. If you only understand reality through an American lens, and America can effectively behave like its euphemisms aren't euphemisms, then those euphemisms become reality to the class of people who made that poo poo up in the first place. Not that the same propaganda and misconception can't be at play outside the country, or amongst people vociferously opposed to American influence.

Not that America is unique in being able to create these sorts of bubbles, where the propagandists start getting high on their own supply.

The only people really talking about this in the United States are Republicans who are posturing to make Biden look weak, knowing full well that instituting a 'no-fly zone' is not something that would, or even could, be instituted; and if they were suddenly actually in charge of the executive branch they would come up with a good double speak excuse about why they did not really mean an actual 'no fly zone.'

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/DAlperovitch/status/1497625164468600840?s=20&t=1yn56886qZUS6Lz7NnqfVQ

Just saw this after reading my host dad's message where he explains that he's taught the 6 kids with them in the basement what to do if someone loses an arm and how to breathe when bombs hit.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

SourKraut posted:

Your post seems to be more pro-Russia/tankie than it is anything else with how this was worded.

gently caress off, you tedious idiot. I'm willing to bet you're nowhere near this poo poo geographically; meanwhile, most of my family lives within 25 km of Belorussian border. If this escalates (god loving forbid) they will be the ones hiding in the basement from Russian MLRS barrages while cunts like you hoot and holler from across the ocean about their great resolve and fighting spirit and other warmongering bullshit.

If you do share a continent with them, I'm willing to pay that only goon who's done a good deed so far so that they drive you to Polish/Ukrainian border. There, you can join some other brave fighters, get yourself a government-issued AK, and go show watch some cool combat footage IRL. Unless you're a loving coward, of course.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

NightGyr posted:

This is not aligned with their political objectives of being seen as liberators toppling a corrupt, unpopular government. If they start annihilating civilians en masse, then the morale of the troops and populace will completely collapse and the resolve of the Ukrainians will only be strengthened.

Seen by who? From what I know, this isn't exactly at popular action, even within Russia. It's a charade and if Ukraine keeps fighting like this Russia has painted themself into a corner and I can't see any way out that isn't very ugly.

WaltherFeng posted:

You cannot simply win a war by bombing alone. This one of hard truths of modern warfare. Sure, they could genocide the entire Ukraine but I doubt even Russian army is that insane.

I'm not talking about genocide and glassing the entire country. But leveling Kyiv and a few other large cities, and that willpower we are saying now will be quickly gone.

Edit: Check out the tweet 2 posts above mine... It's going to get grim.

Trump fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 26, 2022

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

KitConstantine posted:

Asking has no downsides for Zelenskyy. What's Putin gonna do, put him on a kill list harder?

Doubly underline his name, duh.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Slovakia to send artillery ammunition, fuel worth 11 mln euros to Ukraine

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Can't verify this guy's credentials at all, but it further corroborates the report this morning that Russia are shooting themselves empty:

https://twitter.com/pmakela1/status/1497605317647081474

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Feb 26, 2022

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

SourKraut posted:

I was mostly just thinking of the Polish people in general as a country, not so much the government. But I have definitely become more educated on the Polish government via this thread even.

Yeah, it's surprising how many Poles show actual, not just vocal, but financial and material support for Ukraine (three people I know have actually offered to house refugees).
The bitter, cynical part of me wonders where was all this humane spirit when people were dying on our border with Belarus.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

EvilHawk posted:

Can't this guy's credentials at all, but it further corroborates the report this morning that Russia are shooting themselves empty:

I kinda wonder if this Russian military incompetence narrative might ignore how militaries always have to adjust, and do adjust, sometimes competently, and also might ignore how things can go much farther south in a hurry for the Ukrainians.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

EvilHawk posted:

Can't this guy's credentials at all, but it further corroborates the report this morning that Russia are shooting themselves empty:

If they are shooting themselves empty it's of accurate ammunition that mostly hits specific stuff. They have plenty of wildly inaccurate stuff left.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

nurmie posted:

If you do share a continent with them, I'm willing to pay that only goon who's done a good deed so far so that they drive you to Polish/Ukrainian border. There, you can join some other brave fighters, get yourself a government-issued AK, and go show watch some cool combat footage IRL. Unless you're a loving coward, of course.
International brigades when?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Russians haven't killed him yet

https://twitter.com/EuroMaydan/status/1497627368093011968?t=Gk5RDu01hc1-cKGgO_YIjA&s=19

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
I would have thought they had mountains of leftover FROGs or am I horribly out of date.

Ed: they got retired, NM

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 26, 2022

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

OddObserver posted:

If they are shooting themselves empty it's of accurate ammunition that mostly hits specific stuff. They have plenty of wildly inaccurate stuff left.

And an absurd amount of artillery

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gatts posted:

Is there a thought from Russia .

*shakes magic eight ball*

signs point to no

At this point Russia's strategy here does not appear to have been particularly well thought out, no. All indicators are that Putin was and is operating on a set of assumptions (Ukraine will greet us as liberators; zelensky is like other politicians and will flee; Biden and NATO are weak willed and will be afraid to interfere; capturing a city the size of Chicago overnight with a few hundred spetnatz is a realistic plan; etc.) that are not congruent with reality.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

It seems less incompetence and more corruption. Genuinely sounds like in a lot of cases troops don't have equipment or rations, or vehicles don't have fuel, because officers have stolen and sold it to the black market.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497574435280367622?s=20&t=daSSbI0STLaR7zk9KyqJOw

This is a huge loving deal if true because now we would be getting into the truly economically debilitating territory.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

International brigades when?

I'll start up the wiki.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/humeyra_pamuk/status/1497617029343416320

More confirmation that this may be getting close...

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

https://twitter.com/christogrozev/status/1497595587197386765?s=20&t=BQ-YuLE6CdfOl60igxSEbg

If this is true holy poo poo how embarrassing for the Russians

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497574435280367622?s=20&t=daSSbI0STLaR7zk9KyqJOw

This is a huge loving deal if true because now we would be getting into the truly economically debilitating territory.

My brain no understand economic good, but wouldn't Russia's central bank assets be deposited domestically?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

steinrokkan posted:

My brain no understand economic good, but wouldn't Russia's central bank assets be deposited domestically?

Their central bank has reserves of foreign currency. Ostensibly such sanctions can dramatically limit the ability for that foreign currency to be used.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

Zhanism
Apr 1, 2005
Death by Zhanism. So Judged.

steinrokkan posted:

It's useless if u can't exchange it with other central banks for business needs.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
war is hell

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Kyiv seems to be in semi-blackout conditions judging by the live cams. The city is almost in complete darkness compared to yesterday.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

*shakes magic eight ball*

signs point to no

At this point Russia's strategy here does not appear to have been particularly well thought out, no. All indicators are that Putin was and is operating on a set of assumptions (Ukraine will greet us as liberators; zelensky is like other politicians and will flee; Biden and NATO are weak willed and will be afraid to interfere; capturing a city the size of Chicago overnight with a few hundred spetnatz is a realistic plan; etc.) that are not congruent with reality.

I think the main assumptions Putin acted on were that Ukrainians would be too overwhelmed to mount a defence, and the EU/NATO would be paralysed by the usual bureaucracy to institute meaningful sanctions in a timescale relevant to the conflict. If they had taken, say, a week to agree to the sanctions we've already seen (and longer for things like SWIFT) even with the military resistance the conflict would likely be over by the time the Russian economy took enough of a hit for it to be a problem to Putin.

That last bit still remains to be seen and targeting the central bank would certainly exacerbate the situation at home.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's pretty normal to have huge investment and deposits outside of the country. Denmark has had their gold reserve at Fort Know for years and years, for example

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah but it doesn't matter how much cash you have if the US and everyone else says 'we aren't taking your money'. (and also nobody else can take your money)

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

FizFashizzle posted:

Just had a dark thought. For maybe the first time we’re going to see what happens when patriotic anti occupation resistance synergies with readily available social media clout chasing.
err... are you forgetting when loving lunatics in syria were eating hearts and poo poo ? nothing is new and im not even sure wtf you are saying ok thanks.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

coelomate posted:

Their central bank has reserves of foreign currency. Ostensibly such sanctions can dramatically limit the ability for that foreign currency to be used.

Sticking to my lane here, a huge chunk of their savings are probably in foreign currencies because of the expectation of a drop in the rouble. If you're expecting to lose 10-20% of the value from a invasion, you're going to move a lot of wealth to a more stable asset.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

The Kingfish posted:

Seems like an insanely bad idea to just hand out thousands of guns to an untrained civilian population.

Maybe; however Ukraine has been training civilians to use those weapons in just such a scenario for over a year, and just like blowing up very expensive bridges, roads, and rail lines…

When you are in an existential war against a superior opponent when the very existence of your country is on the line, you do what you have to do.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

The Kingfish posted:

Conscription was a thing up until 2013. Theres theoretically a lot of civilians in their mid twenties and up who theoretically know how things go down.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

EvilHawk posted:

Kyiv seems to be in semi-blackout conditions judging by the live cams. The city is almost in complete darkness compared to yesterday.

I think the main assumptions Putin acted on were that Ukrainians would be too overwhelmed to mount a defence, and the EU/NATO would be paralysed by the usual bureaucracy to institute meaningful sanctions in a timescale relevant to the conflict. If they had taken, say, a week to agree to the sanctions we've already seen (and longer for things like SWIFT) even with the military resistance the conflict would likely be over by the time the Russian economy took enough of a hit for it to be a problem to Putin.

That last bit still remains to be seen and targeting the central bank would certainly exacerbate the situation at home.

The whole city is on curfew until 8am Monday and I've seen reports of Kyiv cops politely visiting anyone with a light on.

I'm sure some buildings have lost power but the city government doesn't wanna make the Russians job any easier by leaving the lights on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I think they mean restrict the Russian central bank from doing business outside of Russia. So the central bank won't be able to buy back Russian currency overseas in exchange for foreign currency holdings, meaning Rubles can't be exchanged for other other currencies, potentially collapsing the Ruble as it loses the capacity to purchase anything outside of Russia.

Beaten, not surprisingly given the speed of this thread.