Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gripweed posted:

The original art they're using there is fanart of Violet Evergarden, a series about a soldier who lost her arms and was horrifically traumatized by war trying to reintegrate into society and learn how to make emotional connections with people.

She was also a child solider lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

cohsae posted:

Is the flagpole behind Marge lodged in her hair or something? It doesn't look right.
I hope someone got fired for that blunder.
definitely a flagpole in her hair

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wheeee posted:

i was about to post that at least puerile young adult novels are better than tv and marvel movies but then i remembered how many brains have been broken by harry potter :(

they’re not

Eulogistics posted:

Reading quality books > reading young adult books > reading comic books/webcomics > reading tweets and other social media crap > reading literally nothing. At least they're reading something longer than a couple sentences at a shot.

reading isn’t any better than watching or listening, you were just trained in school to think that reading = smart and want to feel smart

Lady Militant
Apr 8, 2020

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of class struggles.
reading warhammer books makes you smart. im a great and shining example

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

tokin opposition posted:

She was also a child solider lmao

Can't wait for army recruiters to start handing out copies of "Johnny Got His Gun"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There’s no such thing as an anti-war animes- François Truffaut

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

indigi posted:

they’re not

reading isn’t any better than watching or listening, you were just trained in school to think that reading = smart and want to feel smart

Counterpoint: When my brain decides it will zone out and skip a whole section of what just happened it is much easier to go back to the bit I last recall what was going on. Doing that with audio / video is a lot harder.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Written walkthroughs are better than video walkthroughs, it’s true

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/VVashingtonEdge/status/1497273966603366403?t=iRgHsP_lwVdrklqBpjPU7w&s=19

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jay Rust posted:

:hai: if only because it's easier to look up some specific point

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/jaredlholt/status/1497449945397448704

kakotheres
Nov 9, 2016

Do the job that is in front of you

FFT posted:

when I find myself in times of sorrow
Terry Pratchett comes to me
speaking words of whimsy
let it be

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 26 days!)

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

guaranteed dead within the next two days

https://twitter.com/kiraincongress/status/1497683677295304707

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

"I can't wait to sing like we did before the war"

What, like last Sunday?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

this may be true for the ancient and increasingly irrelevant generations: Gen xers and millennials

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Look, so few people read books any more that I don't care if grown adults are reading Lord Dragonicus and the Sword of Fancy, I'm just glad they're reading a goddamn book. I had a conversation with a coworker in his 50s a few months ago where I asked what was the last book he read, and he said he wasn't sure because it was something in high school. :smith:

that's what everyone said about adults reading harry potter and now we have grown adults with blue checkmarks sorting world leaders into hogwarts houses

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it’s me, the geriatric YA liker who will argue with fists clenched that reading NK Jemisin is in any way better than watching Denis Villeneuve

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That poor bitch :(

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Business Gorillas posted:

"I can't wait to sing like we did before the war"

What, like last Sunday?

"Time for another round of shelter-oke!"

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gripweed posted:

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Gripweed posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK-T923o1oo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

there were shots of this being workshopped as a 4chan troll campaign a day or so back

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Ukraine more like whitemantopia

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Christ posted:

Young adult as a genre and a community is deeply cursed, its like anime in that it attracts the worst people

It might be the overall most toxic community on the internet that isnt just like, actual nazis.

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

What the gently caress is it with bikers and sitting on people's faces? I've seen a few helmet stickers with some variation on that joke. When my dad bought a motorcycle when I was 12 the guy at the shop told me he got his tongue pierced for when women sit on his face. Just unprompted.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

because the only thing better than riding a bike is your partner riding your face duh

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1497672363269562369

this feels like a getfiscal joke

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shitstorm Trooper posted:

What the gently caress is it with bikers and sitting on people's faces? I've seen a few helmet stickers with some variation on that joke. When my dad bought a motorcycle when I was 12 the guy at the shop told me he got his tongue pierced for when women sit on his face. Just unprompted.

There's a lot of weird & reactionary transgressive sexual politics involved. Early biker gangs were formed by war veterans who resented domesticity, but weren't interested in any real change in gender politics. So they loved engaging in what we'd now consider "queer" sexual activity just to freak the squares, while still treating women like property they could pass around. Bikers today are a far cry from the old criminal gangs since it's been mostly reduced to a hobbyist identity, but the juvenile impulse to be gross about sex is still there.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
has anyone posted about Zelenskyy making their calves cramp, i think we're about due for it.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

has anyone posted about Zelenskyy making their calves cramp, i think we're about due for it.

sounds like dehydration

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's a lot of weird & reactionary transgressive sexual politics involved. Early biker gangs were formed by war veterans who resented domesticity, but weren't interested in any real change in gender politics. So they loved engaging in what we'd now consider "queer" sexual activity just to freak the squares, while still treating women like property they could pass around. Bikers today are a far cry from the old criminal gangs since it's been mostly reduced to a hobbyist identity, but the juvenile impulse to be gross about sex is still there.

I heard that they give different patches for different kinds of "giving face" as they call it; red wings if they're on their period, green wings if she's got the clap, purple wings if you go down on a dead chick which doesn't actually exist I hope

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cagot

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

One More Fat Nerd posted:

It might be the overall most toxic community on the internet that isnt just like, actual nazis.

I'm not sure I've ever seen a group of self-loathing individuals so willing to tear apart one of their own. Like, some real United Red Army mixed with woke Mean Girls poo poo

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Supposedly, this same shock impulse is where a lot of the Nazi iconography they wear comes from as well, which makes sense when you consider that a lot of the folks they were trying to freak out in the 40s and 50s were also WWII veterans.

But, just as happened with the "ironic" Nazis on 4chan...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

There's a poster in the "Vantasm" thread in GBS posting scans of old issues of Easy Riders, really interesting to see the intersections of reactionary bullshit, "rebellion" slash freaking the squares, and pure beautiful exploitative capitalism making a quick buck