Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

new favorite alt history

https://twitter.com/Roycesheibal/status/1496263420022341634

or is it

https://www.researchgate.net/public...s_Civil_Defence

quote:

Though suburbanization in the United States during the 1950s is a well known story, scholars still consider postwar prosperity and basic desire on the part of the American people to move further away from problems of the inner city as its primary causes. While it is true that various factors contributed to phenomenal growth of the suburbs between 1945 and 1960, historians have thus far paid little attention to policymakers' fears of atomic attack as a significant factor in population dispersal. This article examines how sociologists, scientists, and other experts considered the reduction of urban vulnerability a Cold War priority, and worked to encourage dispersion of people and factories as a civil defence measure.

https://www.treehugger.com/why-sprawl-was-caused-nuclear-arms-race-and-why-matters-more-ever-today-4854403

quote:

It is important to remember why cities were building highways through the fifties and sixties; why the federal government was promoting low-density suburban development and why companies were moving their corporate head offices to campuses in the country: Civil defense. One of the best defenses against nuclear bombs is sprawl; the devastation of a bomb can only cover so much area. Shawn Lawrence Otto wrote in Fool Me Twice:

quote:

In 1945, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists began advocating for "dispersal," or "defense through decentralization" as the only realistic defense against nuclear weapons, and the federal government realized this was an important strategic move. Most city planners agreed, and America adopted a completely new way of life, one that was different from anything that had come before, by directing all new construction "away from congested central areas to their outer fringes and suburbs in low-density continuous development," and "the prevention of the metropolitan core's further spread by directing new construction into small, widely spaced satellite towns."
But the strategy had to change after the development of the more powerful hydrogen bomb, and with it, the realization that having people living in the suburbs but working downtown was a problem. “President Dwight D. Eisenhower instead promoted a program of rapid evacuation to rural regions. As a civil defense official who served from 1953 to 1957 explained, the focus changed "from 'Duck and Cover' to 'Run Like Hell.’”

To service that sprawl and to move people quickly in time of war, you need highways; that is why the bill that created the American interstate highway system was actually called The National Interstate and Defense Highways Act of 1956- they are exactly that, defense highways, designed to get people outta town in a hurry.

It’s clear that the suburban way of life didn’t develop because suddenly people could afford cars; it happened because the government wanted it. In The Reduction of Urban Vulnerability: Revisiting 1950s American Suburbanization as Civil Defence, Kathleen Tobin quotes political scientist Barry Checkoway:

"It is wrong to believe that postwar American suburbanization prevailed because the public chose it and will continue to prevail until the public changes its preferences. ... Suburbanization prevailed because of the decisions of large operators and powerful economic institutions supported by federal government programmes, and ordinary consumers had little real choice in the basic pattern that resulted."

After getting the people out, the next step was to actually move the industries and offices out of the dense urban cores, where so many corporations could be taken out with a single bomb, and establish them in suburban corporate campuses where just about every one of them would be a separate target. There was actually a National Industrial Dispersion Policy, designed to decentralize industry and commerce. Tobin lists 5 measures that would reduce urban vulnerability, written in 1952, measures that effectively killed cities:

Further development of industry (including normal peacetime as well as defense activities) should be slowed down in central city areas of highest population density and industrial areas of target attractiveness.

A beginning should be made in reducing population and building densities in residential areas of greatest vulnerability by adoption of program of urban redevelopment and slum clearance.

New buildings constructed in or near target areas should be built according to standards that make them resistant to A- bomb blast and fire and which provide for adequate shelter areas.

No urban areas should be developed so intensively as to create new (or extensions of existing) population or industrial prime target areas.

New defense industrial plants should be located at a reasonably safe distance from existing target areas.

To the guys with bombs, those things that we love about our cities, that we urbanists fight so hard to protect, they are not desirable, they are problematic. Benjamin W. Cidlaw, Commander in Chief of the Continental Air Defense Command, told a conference of Mayors in 1954:

quote:

"Your city means everything to you, everything to the people who live in it, and everything to me. To our possible enemies, however, who sit down at their planning tables to compute a schedule of take-off times for their existing bombing fleets, the hundred biggest cities represented here by you do not mean historic streets and beautiful parks, school systems in which you have pride, or the churches which are your fountains of faith. They may mean to them only those aerial forces and weapons required to produce the 100 pinpointed minutes of atomic hell on earth necessary for their destruction."
Shawn Lawrence Otto concludes his chapter:

quote:

"These accommodations for defense brought about an immense change in the fabric of America, altering everything from transportation to land development to race relations to modern energy use and the extraordinary public sums that are spent on building and maintaining roads— creating challenges and burdens that are with us today, all because of science and the bomb."

It is important to remember why sprawl was promoted in the first place: as a defence against nuclear attack. It’s why corporations and industries moved out of cities. The purpose of the highway system was not to meet demand, it was specifically designed to induce demand, to get people into cars and out into low density suburbs. It was a strategy designed to help outlast them all.

Arms races, and civil defense plans in a nuclear age are not good for cities, because the same nuclear math applies now as it did in the fifties and sixties: low density means improved survivability. Big highways mean quicker escapes.

So it is likely that any new arms race will hinder the current revitalization of our cities, the return of corporations to downtowns, the reinvestment in transit and anything that encourages densification. Because the people who like bombs generally don't like cities.

lol i'd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Gotta get my Strava in

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

"problems of the inner city"

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
gentrification is the new frontier of anti-ped/anti-cyclist carbrain activists latching onto legitimate issues and completely loving muddying the water to get what they want. just like how they will tell you that removing any parking whatsoever hurts accessibility or how cyclists are actually all privileged. it sucks.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Oh yeah people buy parking spots for investments. It's complete lunacy. Another reason we'll never get rid of cars/make cities walkable

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

that feeling you get when you can't throw a block party in your chicago neighborhood because saudi arabia said no

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

leftist heap posted:

gentrification is the new frontier of anti-ped/anti-cyclist carbrain activists latching onto legitimate issues and completely loving muddying the water to get what they want. just like how they will tell you that removing any parking whatsoever hurts accessibility or how cyclists are actually all privileged. it sucks.

yeah, it's the same logic as saying "well of course we can't close the carcinogenic refinery in this part of town, it would spike property values and gentrify the last affordable neighborhood in the city."

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
- love, Trump thread.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Absolutely incredible

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

- love, Trump thread.

why tf do the wheels hardlock when the motor is non-functional? love too make my car impossible to move when it breaks

We went for a walk yesterday and a tesla whipped through a busy crosswalk, missing us and a few other pedestrians by inches... I'm curious if it was in autopilot and/or if the driver was just being a huge rear end in a top hat. Teslas should have a giant blinking light that's visible to everyone outside the vehicle when they're in autopilot mode

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Feb 28, 2022

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Polo-Rican posted:

why tf do the wheels hardlock when the motor is non-functional? love too make my car impossible to move when it breaks

We went for a walk yesterday and a tesla whipped through a busy crosswalk, missing us and a few other pedestrians by inches... I'm curious if it was in autopilot and/or if the driver was just being a huge rear end in a top hat. Teslas should have a giant blinking light that's visible to everyone outside the vehicle when they're in autopilot mode

yes, a giant blinking sign that says "I am an rear end in a top hat"

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Polo-Rican posted:

better locked up and immobile than rolling away on a slope?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

take it back

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm seeing lots of people straight up blowing through red lights (like everyone is stopped and they just hop into the turn lane and keep going straight) and it's freaking me out.

I think it's just selection bias but i've noticed people are much worse drivers now than before the pandemic. I've almost been hit by someone several times because they completely ignored the stop sign and turned.

AnimeIsTrash has issued a correction as of 03:35 on Mar 1, 2022

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it's just selection bias but i've noticed people are much worse drivers now than before the pandemic. I've been almost hit someone several times because they completely ignored the stop sign and turned.

well? did you apologize to the driver?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHeA9q19Mc

Knowing that cities changed for the automobile, this scene hits really differently now.

Even when the rant should be getting away from the car, it goes back to talk about licking a car, and a cab driver.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

looks safer than my commute

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
almost got squished between a snow bank and a pickup yesterday. i moved out of the way fast enough but the drunk moron backed out of his driveway and straight into the 6 foot wall of snow. just paying zero attention whatsoever

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Karach posted:

better locked up and immobile than rolling away on a slope?

Normal cars have a parking brake for this reason

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

cool av posted:

well? did you apologize to the driver?

Yep what type of American would I be if I didn't apologize for walking to places.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yep what type of American would I be if I didn't apologize for walking to places.

Wouldn't need to apologize if you'd just buy a goddamn full-size truck.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

americans are too dumb to ever engage the parking brake so I thank god-emperor musk for doing it for us automatically. If a car ever gets permanently immobilized somewhere, well, that's always for the best anyway

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i hate cars

mystes
May 31, 2006

vyelkin posted:

i hate cars
If you hate them so much why don't you divorce them?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

mystes posted:

If you hate them so much why don't you divorce them?

take my car... please!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I think it's just selection bias but i've noticed people are much worse drivers now than before the pandemic. I've almost been hit by someone several times because they completely ignored the stop sign and turned.

no people are verifiable driving like goddamn animals now. carbrain mutated into an even more deranged variant

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
maybe gettin my license wont be so hard after all

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

leftist heap posted:

no people are verifiable driving like goddamn animals now. carbrain mutated into an even more deranged variant
it's gotten insanely bad compared to 2019. various city statistics and even nhtsa has backed up with actual data that drivers have become insane blood-frenzed psychos

im not gunna be surprised that the full 2021 data once it comes out is very grim. december 2021 was absolutely absurdly awful. i don't think ive ever seen so much insanity and stupidity from american carbrains before.

peep the last table. almost 30% increase in first-degree murders by americans

thats just fatalities too. injuries are way the gently caress up

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:09 on Mar 1, 2022

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its absolutely not selection bias. see above. i can go from various city data and pull out that no, americans are definitely assaulting and murdering people at a significantly higher frequency.

for my own city:

quote:

Berkeley had significantly more fatal crashes and collisions causing injuries in 2021 than in the prior year, according to new traffic data released by police in February.

Map tips: Use the upper left corner icon to view the map legend. Use the upper right icon to make the map bigger. Darker markers indicate more collisions.
It was the highest number of traffic deaths the city has seen since at least 1984, the Berkeley Police Department found. There were also 433 collisions last year that resulted in injuries, a 37% increase over injury crashes in 2020, BPD said.

for LA:
https://laist.com/news/transportation/traffic-violence-surges-in-los-angeles-2021

quote:

re than five years after top Los Angeles officials vowed to eliminate traffic fatalities in the city, 2021 instead marked the highest death toll on L.A. streets in nearly two decades.

Last year, 294 people were killed in collisions, according to preliminary data provided by the Los Angeles Police Department. Traffic deaths rose about 22% from 2020. By comparison, there were 379 homicides reported last year in the city of L.A.

In addition to traffic deaths, hundreds more people were severely injured in crashes. The LAPD puts the number at 1,479 — 30% higher than 2020. That averages out to roughly four people injured each day, every day last year.

About half of those killed in L.A. collisions were not in a vehicle. Of those who died:

132 were pedestrians
Another 18 were on bicycles

for wisconsin:

for NYC:

quote:

NEW YORK CITY — More people died on New York City's streets in 2021 than any year since officials pledged to drive traffic fatalities down to zero, according to a new study.

The city closed last year with 273 people dead in traffic crashes, a new study by Transportation Alternatives found.

Of those, 73 died between October and December alone.

“We cannot let another year go by with traffic violence killing a record number of New Yorkers,” said Danny Harris, executive director of Transportation Alternatives, in a statement.

The grim record coincided with the last year for former mayor Bill de Blasio — who in 2014 adopted "Vision Zero," an ambitious street safety plan with the goal of slashing traffic fatalities down to nothing.

But advocates argue de Blasio failed to fully commit to Vision Zero — an inaction with deadly results, especially during the coronavirus pandemic.

Fatalities hit a low in 2018, according to the study. The tally in 2021 was 33 percent higher.
Both the governor and mayor are also aware that automobile violence has, so far, spiked up even further in 2022. As of Feb. 14, 28 people had died in New York City auto violence, up from 17 during the same period last year according to data published by Streetsblog. Of those killed, 16 were pedestrians.

Also, in January 2022, 657 pedestrians were injured by automobile drivers—some seriously. That’s up from 503 injuries recorded the same month one year ago, according to NYPD data,.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Mar 1, 2022

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

usage of phrases like “automobile violence” and “injured by automobile drivers”? sounds like a commie rag to me

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Polo-Rican posted:

I know plenty of drivers who couldn't find the parking brake in their car if you paid them

do you think a Tesla driver will have the presence of mind to use the parking brake if their engine fails?

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just gotta repeat what everyone else is saying, which is that this absolutely isn't just you. Overall miles driven dropped during the pandemic, but deaths and crashes increased. It's probably a whole bunch of inter-related psychological things for drivers operating on suddenly emptier roads, but imo the central issue is that a lot of lovely drivers suddenly realized that laws aren't real and there's nothing stopping them from routinely flying through stop signs and red lights and speeding even worse than they used to.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Xaris posted:

it's gotten insanely bad compared to 2019. various city statistics and even nhtsa has backed up with actual data that drivers have become insane blood-frenzed psychos

im not gunna be surprised that the full 2021 data once it comes out is very grim. december 2021 was absolutely absurdly awful. i don't think ive ever seen so much insanity and stupidity from american carbrains before.

peep the last table. almost 30% increase in first-degree murders by americans

thats just fatalities too. injuries are way the gently caress up

lol the covid jump in table two within the same season, 1.08 ->1.46, 1.17->1.49, 1.12->1.41, 1.12->1.29

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Electro-Boogie Jack posted:

Just gotta repeat what everyone else is saying, which is that this absolutely isn't just you. Overall miles driven dropped during the pandemic, but deaths and crashes increased. It's probably a whole bunch of inter-related psychological things for drivers operating on suddenly emptier roads, but imo the central issue is that a lot of lovely drivers suddenly realized that laws aren't real and there's nothing stopping them from routinely flying through stop signs and red lights and speeding even worse than they used to.

Miles driven actually went up for a certain class of vehicle (you can guess which one).

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know that bit in Alice's Restaurant where he goes to the draft office and says "Sir, I wanna kill. I wanna see blood and guts and feel veins in my teeth. I mean, I wanna kill" And starts jumping up and down yelling Kill! Kill! Kill! and then an officer comes over and pins a medal to his chest and says "you're our boy"?

I wanna do that at the police recruitment office but about ticketing traffic violators.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

a lot of lovely drivers suddenly realized that laws aren't real

i dunno about nationally, but in NYC the BLM protests made cops mad and they stopped enforcing all traffic laws. You'll still get tickets for parking violations, but while your car is in motion you can do literally whatever you want. you can even run people over or smash into buildings as long as you stay at the scene and apologize when the cops show up

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Gripweed posted:

You know that bit in Alice's Restaurant where he goes to the draft office and says "Sir, I wanna kill. I wanna see blood and guts and feel veins in my teeth. I mean, I wanna kill" And starts jumping up and down yelling Kill! Kill! Kill! and then an officer comes over and pins a medal to his chest and says "you're our boy"?

I wanna do that at the police recruitment office but about ticketing traffic violators.

🎵 you can get anything you want at buttigieg's restaurant (exceptin' transit) 🎵

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Polo-Rican posted:

i dunno about nationally, but in NYC the BLM protests made cops mad and they stopped enforcing all traffic laws. You'll still get tickets for parking violations, but while your car is in motion you can do literally whatever you want. you can even run people over or smash into buildings as long as you stay at the scene and apologize when the cops show up

to be fair, this was the case pre pandemic or blm or whatever