Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Are guard counters ever worth it against tougher enemies, like big knight guys or bosses? It feels like a trap, like even if I get one off I'm never breaking their posture anyway. But blocking against them just seems like a bad idea to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Guard counter everything

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm on the southern peninsula, just southeast of the Bridge of Sacrifice on a small ridge, and I found a weird statue with some writing...I already forgot what it said (something about returning to roots?) and now it shines a small blue line on the ground.

The blue line also appears on my map and I have no idea what to do with it. Stood on the spot it shines to and did all my gestures (a note said "offer friendship.")

Anyone know what that's about?

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Anyone know where to farm smithing stones 1 and 2 from enemy drops? Got a buncha weapons id like to upgrade and ive used up most of the randomly strewn about ones.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm on the southern peninsula, just southeast of the Bridge of Sacrifice on a small ridge, and I found a weird statue with some writing...I already forgot what it said (something about returning to roots?) and now it shines a small blue line on the ground.

The blue line also appears on my map and I have no idea what to do with it. Stood on the spot it shines to and did all my gestures (a note said "offer friendship.")

It's pointing to an underground dungeon. The blue line will stay on your map until it's completed.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just fought the boss that guards unlimited smithing stones 1 and 2 and it was finally a battle for just guard countering and a reward thats good as hell.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Frankston posted:

Guard counter everything

How? Bigger enemies break my guard in two hits and their combos are like four hits long. Trying to guard counter just gets me smacked in the face.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

BabyRyoga posted:

Anyone know where to farm smithing stones 1 and 2 from enemy drops? Got a buncha weapons id like to upgrade and ive used up most of the randomly strewn about ones.

Haven't tried farming them, but I got some level 1s drop randomly from the bleed-spam goblins in the Catacombs Cave or whatever it's called.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Harrow posted:

Are guard counters ever worth it against tougher enemies, like big knight guys or bosses? It feels like a trap, like even if I get one off I'm never breaking their posture anyway. But blocking against them just seems like a bad idea to begin with.

i beat the boss i was complaining about a page ago by mainly using guard counters. its fast so it gave me just enough time to roll away from the followup attack.

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe
One thing I will say about stubbornly getting rocked repeatedly by the Ulcerated Tree Spirit until I managed to beat it is that between all the leveling I had to do and the sheer difficulty of the encounter is that doing Margit afterwards was (in comparison to what many have reported) much simpler to handle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I am considering starting over because I think I spent every guaranteed Smithing Stone [1] in Limgrave and I spread them too thinly across different weapons so now I'm too weak for Stormveil Castle. I managed to beat Margit but everything past then and my weapons feel way too weak. I should've known better.

The alternative is trying to farm them but I think I've seen maybe two drop ever so that seems like it's a good way to burn out and not want to play again for a long time.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Diephoon posted:

Made a video since I've been showing people this Stormveil Ramparts lift shortcut so much in game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SbJSfJ_wJA

Have you figured out how to activate the big lift at that grace? It's been driving me insane. I did a little basic spatial reasoning and figured out unless it's teleporter related the solution can't be to come in from the bottom, so I've been scrambling all over the place.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

DrBouvenstein posted:

there is one of those just north west of trader santa also.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Frankston posted:

Castle Morne spoilers, what the heck am I missing because it's still showing up with a grace line pointing towards it on the map?

I've beat Leonine Misbegotten, done the Irina and Edgar quest to completion, got all the sites of grace, looted everything and killed everything I can.

What's the end of their questline? I got him to find her dead body and swear vengeance but he disappeared and I dunno if there's anything after that.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

What's the end of their questline? I got him to find her dead body and swear vengeance but he disappeared and I dunno if there's anything after that.

I think that's it? Unless something happens later in the game but I googled and that seemed to be the end of the questline.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Extremely disappointed and bummed reading everyone talking about how bad and lame Sorcery gets since Glintstone Pebble and Arc are very the poo poo early on and I had my expectations raised

On top of that, I found an NPC in a church late in Stormveil Castle but only had enough souls to buy everything but Giant Colossal Blade(??) or something and the two that I did buy from him absolutely sucked. I beat Godrick , went back to find him to buy the last spell and he's gone now ...

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to run away from/cheese the NPC invader when you jump down at the roundtable hub?

Or can I summon for it or something? I have no ranged and he's absolutely owning me. Gets through my 100% shield too

Are those runes down there just lost until I can beat him? I think all the doors are locked and the side room is a dead end

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

MShadowy posted:

One thing I will say about stubbornly getting rocked repeatedly by the Ulcerated Tree Spirit until I managed to beat it is that between all the leveling I had to do and the sheer difficulty of the encounter is that doing Margit afterwards was (in comparison to what many have reported) much simpler to handle.

Now imagine that this was the first enemy you fought after the tutorial and you randomly picked Wretch :V

Then you're me. I managed to get it down to like 75% health and gave up though, I imagine he gets tougher if you do more damage.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

tak posted:

Is there a way to run away from/cheese the NPC invader when you jump down at the roundtable hub?

Or can I summon for it or something? I have no ranged and he's absolutely owning me. Gets through my 100% shield too

Are those runes down there just lost until I can beat him? I think all the doors are locked and the side room is a dead end
THIS BULLSHIT HAPPENED TO ME LAST NIGHT TOO BROTHER

beep by grandpa posted:

after dying many many many many times to his bullshit insta kills with my normal loadout i experimented and switched to the highest DPS str weapon I had in my inventory, 2h'd it cause my STR was too low and found that he could never avoid its jump R2 if i did it right AND it staggered him + it had a bleed effect which procced for >500. it prob took me 45min total (10min with the successful loadout/plan) but I finally killed him, went right to the map and spammed every button until i instantly warped out

but holy loving shitttttttt that was absolutely the worst time i've ever had playing a souls game ever. just terrrrrrrrible oversight for anyone who winds up there with significant souls on them

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I have a question for anyone else who’s managed to find the beast cleric

Do you have to do anything to find the undead guys he wants? The eye he gave me says it should vibrate when they’re nearby, but I’ve explored a lot since then and haven’t seen anything. Do you have to use it somehow or do you just passively get a popup for holding it? I don’t mind finding them on my own if I’ve just had bad luck so far, but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

What if O&S... but faster :thunk:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

my look is really coming together

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just met Miriel.

Miriel is my best pal and I will protect him with my life.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

read elsewhere that it wasn't great, which isn't surprising. weapons like that are usually silly gimmicks best used for PVP builds

What do I have to do to invade or be invaded anyway

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Any indication which armour is actually alterable ? I only have one piece accessible to do so, the astrologer's chest and all the other stuff I've found or bought (including Knight's chest) doesn't have that option.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Harrow posted:

Also I am considering starting over because I think I spent every guaranteed Smithing Stone [1] in Limgrave and I spread them too thinly across different weapons so now I'm too weak for Stormveil Castle. I managed to beat Margit but everything past then and my weapons feel way too weak. I should've known better.

The alternative is trying to farm them but I think I've seen maybe two drop ever so that seems like it's a good way to burn out and not want to play again for a long time.

Start over if that's more enjoyable but I promise that whatever's standing between you and the point in the game where smithing stones are more plentiful isn't the 5% DPS increase you'd get from upgrading a weapon from +2 to +3. Alternatively cheese it to the southern continent, enemies aren't that much more difficult there and there are mines with smithing stones everywhere

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Anyone have a reliable way to cheese the greatsword and shield knight dude who ganks you the dark room that get's locked the first time you enter it in Stormveil?

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011

tak posted:

He always poses when he spawns for a free backstab (I think). He only has one flask charge. If you have the wild swings ash, you can spam it if you trap them in the corner. After the initial backstab, roll forward and try to force them into a corner/wall.

My secret strat do not steal! Annoying fucker with a cool moveset

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

On top of that, I found an NPC in a church late in Stormveil Castle but only had enough souls to buy everything but Giant Colossal Blade(??) or something and the two that I did buy from him absolutely sucked. I beat Godrick , went back to find him to buy the last spell and he's gone now ...

You'll meet him again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chrysalid lady owns, good luck in your quest to get your head glued to whatever

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Snake Maze posted:

Do you have to do anything to find the undead guys he wants? The eye he gave me says it should vibrate when they’re nearby, but I’ve explored a lot since then and haven’t seen anything. Do you have to use it somehow or do you just passively get a popup for holding it? I don’t mind finding them on my own if I’ve just had bad luck so far, but I want to make sure I’m not missing anything.

Nah, if you enter an area with the poo poo he wants it'll pop up a message on your screen, that's it. I've only found one other place so far and I've been pretty thorough, so there's probably just not a lot.

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost

aperfectcirclefan posted:

Is the diminishing returns on recapturing runes when you die on purpose or a bug

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't know, but it's started happening to me too and it's annoying. On the note of things that happened and I don't know why, I haven't beaten Godrick yet but I can't find Rogier in his room anymore. I wanted to buy the big magic sword art of war... I hope something I did didn't accidentally kill him.

Cuttlefush posted:

On purpose.

I haven't experienced this yet myself, but someone earlier in the thread said it had something to do with a specific enemy in a specific area somehow stealing part of your dropped runes.

Augus posted:

I’m in trouble with this game because it’s gonna take me like a hundred hours to beat it but I already want to replay it with all the different builds :negative:

Yeah, same. Sorry other games. I'll play something else in a year or two maybe.

whaley posted:

worst launch in history. a total disaster.

whaley posted:

i have already deleted the game and have requested a refund. a complete disaster in every way. how dare they do this to me a loyal fan

whaley posted:

blood stains dont work. they couldn't even implement something that has been in all of the soils games. from software is loving us again

whaley posted:

never seen a game be so ruined to appeal to casuals and telephone game grandmothers

Boring and low-effort. If you're going to troll and/or irony-post, try to be slightly clever about it maybe?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speaking of Sorcery I’ve only managed to find 1 tower so far (Oridy’s Rise) to the south. In addition to the memory you can buy at the roundtable I’m still rolling with only 4 memory slots. Are there any other tower I may be missing in the general vicinity of the first 2-3 areas?

MShadowy
Sep 30, 2013

dammit eyes don't work that way!

Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

Now imagine that this was the first enemy you fought after the tutorial and you randomly picked Wretch :V

Then you're me. I managed to get it down to like 75% health and gave up though, I imagine he gets tougher if you do more damage.

The Tree Spirit or Margit? Well, presuming you're talking about the first one, once the flaming ulcer starts self immolating that's basically all his tricks right there. Though I also started off as a wretch I ended up entering that place a lot later because I didn't choose a starting item, and a direct result had leveled up decently before fighting the thing. The big issue with tackling that thing at level 1 would basically be the same problem as trying to manage Margit at same; basically the longer the fight goes on the more opportunities you have to make mistakes, and because you're so squishy even one mistake could be the end of the fight.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Harrow posted:

It doesn't sound like you've explored the starting region at all if you're worried about having run out of level 1 smithing stones

Have you gone to the southeast? Explored the underground river? Checked out any of the mines?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Lordsworn Greatsword has carried me so far but I've found the Claymore and baby, don't make me choose

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Snake Maze posted:

Just had it happen, you get a pop-up on your screen that says "The Beast Eye Quivers..." -- it's pretty unmistakable. This was upon entering a mini dungeon in Lingrave.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Harrow posted:

you usually want to guard counter the last hit of a combo not the first. either tank the whole string if you have a real sturdy shield or dodge the first swings with spacing or rolls if you don't.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

After reading strats for Margit I used the Jellyfish poison with great success, next I went through to find Godrick who imo was easier than Margit, and was weak to bleed procs as well as poison. I beat him by dual handing the claw weapon I found towards the entrance.

The real bosses of Stormveil are the wandering knights who have a tracking charge attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tiny Timbs posted:

It doesn't sound like you've explored the starting region at all if you're worried about having run out of level 1 smithing stones

Have you gone to the southeast? Explored the underground river? Checked out any of the mines?

I've been pretty thorough I'm just an idiot and wasted too many stones on weapons I ended up not liking as much :v:

I got some level 2 and 4 stones from sneaking around in the underground river but I can't use them yet because I need to get a weapon to +3 first. I was probably just playing too late and not thinking when I upgraded a couple of these, it's completely my own fault.