Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Spoeank posted:

If you owner retain it another thing to consider is if it gets into any sort of accident again you're probably just selling it for scrap parts because an owner retain salvage title kills the value

Yeah but depending on if/when the car market settles down he may make up the difference and it could be a wash.

FWIW I drove a salvage title Saab for 5 years and the only reason I got rid of it was because the serpentine belt jumped out of the car while I was on the way to the auto shop. The cost to fix the stuff that made it go kaput in the first place wound up being more than the car was worth. It’s obviously a risk but if you feel comfortable driving it and it’s not a danger to you and others I would say it’s reasonable to hold onto it.

e: this is also very much Spo’s wheelhouse though so don’t listen to me, I’m mostly an idiot

Freaquency fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/SenLouiseLucas/status/1497582724252590089?s=20&t=C2eTnX1udhBaORXqLR7EZQ

Why are politicians so brain-poisoned?

Is it selection bias?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Freaquency posted:

I’m but a simple country (server) farmer, but it certainly seems to me like Ukraine is taking it to the Russians. When they first started attacking on Thursday I was sure that Kyiv was going to have fallen by now, but they’ve managed to hold firm.

It’s nice to see, but I think what’s ultimately going to matter is how much the pain Ukrainians can inflict on the occupiers after the fall. Judging by the last few days, maybe it’s a lot.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
The biggest risk of driving a modern car that has already been totaled in a wreck is this: modern cars are built to crumple in certain ways to reduce the impact and minimize the damage to whatever is in the people department. This is a one way and irreversible crumple, though. Anything structural component is irrevocably damaged. Another impact in the same spot is just going to go right through it and into the people portion.

The only way you fix it is by replacing every crumpled section - literally cut of chunks of the car and welding on new bits which then is only as strong as the welds. Cars aren't just shells on frames anymore so it isn't really easy to repair them after a bad wreck and actually have them be safe to drive. You're taking a huge risk with your personal safety.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

General Dog posted:

It’s nice to see, but I think what’s ultimately going to matter is how much the pain Ukrainians can inflict on the occupiers after the fall. Judging by the last few days, maybe it’s a lot.

Yeah, I think I agree. Russia can always send more troops in and they’re going to eventually break through, but it seems like the Ukrainians are going to guarantee that doing so will be costly. I know that Putin doesn’t gaf what the people of Russia think, but things like reportedly losing two troop carriers to SAM missiles has to have some effect on the morale of both the soldiers on the ground and the people back home.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I imagine the next 10-20 years are going to suck massively for Ukraine and Russia (and probably the rest of us, for largely unrelated reasons).

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Pages and pages back Leper was talking about the best avenue to avoid this outcome and mentioned economic sanctions that were painful to Russian oligarchs. That still makes sense to me. I don't quite understand why we aren't more targeted at specific individual's financial interests. I live in a west coast city and suspect about 5% of our housing stock is owned by Russian nationals or their fronts.

Is there really no mechanism for the US to cease those kinds of assets given the situation? Are we so dependent on international money laundering that we can't afford take any actions?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Pages and pages back Leper was talking about the best avenue to avoid this outcome and mentioned economic sanctions that were painful to Russian oligarchs. That still makes sense to me. I don't quite understand why we aren't more targeted at specific individual's financial interests. I live in a west coast city and suspect about 5% of our housing stock is owned by Russian nationals or their fronts.

Is there really no mechanism for the US to cease those kinds of assets given the situation? Are we so dependent on international money laundering that we can't afford take any actions?

This nation is built upon a foundation of Letting Rich People Do Whatever The gently caress They Want.

Oil, gas and oligarch cash is more important to DC than thousands, tens- or even hundreds of thousands of Afghan Iraqi Yemeni Ukrainian lives.

This transcends borders and always has.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

The Puppy Bowl posted:

There is already legislation passed to do this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitsky_Act
The implementation and enforcement of the law is difficult.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

The biggest risk of driving a modern car that has already been totaled in a wreck is this: modern cars are built to crumple in certain ways to reduce the impact and minimize the damage to whatever is in the people department. This is a one way and irreversible crumple, though. Anything structural component is irrevocably damaged. Another impact in the same spot is just going to go right through it and into the people portion.

The only way you fix it is by replacing every crumpled section - literally cut of chunks of the car and welding on new bits which then is only as strong as the welds. Cars aren't just shells on frames anymore so it isn't really easy to repair them after a bad wreck and actually have them be safe to drive. You're taking a huge risk with your personal safety.

That's the weird thing, it's not even that big of an accident. There's basically one piece of of the shell that has a 4" dent. But overall the car, by the mechanic and my insurance, are both stating that the car itself is safe to drive.

I think the reason they are going for the "total" approach is simply because the value of the old beat-up (yet reliable!!!) car is less than the value of the repairs.

Freaquency posted:

Yeah but depending on if/when the car market settles down he may make up the difference and it could be a wash.

FWIW I drove a salvage title Saab for 5 years and the only reason I got rid of it was because the serpentine belt jumped out of the car while I was on the way to the auto shop. The cost to fix the stuff that made it go kaput in the first place wound up being more than the car was worth. It’s obviously a risk but if you feel comfortable driving it and it’s not a danger to you and others I would say it’s reasonable to hold onto it.

e: this is also very much Spo’s wheelhouse though so don’t listen to me, I’m mostly an idiot

Something that's been frustrating is that, it's an old car with low value, but it still worked. But over the last 18 months there's been "a thing" that needed repairs every few months. And each of the repairs, individually, was worth it at the time... but the sum of the repairs added up to a lot. However! Before the accident it seemed like everything was repaired up and good to go.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Bye to that car. It’s not even a question.

I've had this car for a long time and I love it, even if it's kind of crappy compared to modern cars.

Spoeank posted:

If you owner retain it another thing to consider is if it gets into any sort of accident again you're probably just selling it for scrap parts because an owner retain salvage title kills the value

I plugged it into KBB and the estimated Trade-in range is $1.2k - $2k. There's more aesthetic damage than initially looks so I'd say the lower range is accurate.

Which is so odd to me, because again, it is a functioning and safe car. It's wild that my automobile is worth less than a high end gaming laptop.

Android Apocalypse posted:

If it were me and I need transportation, I'd hold onto the car as the current market for a vehicle is still pretty hosed up.

My 2002 Highlander is kind of on its last legs and I was hoping to replace it next year as its registration tags also expire then, but unless things even out I may have dump :20bux: to repair it and hold onto it for a couple more years.

I'm debating how much I need transportation at this point. I work remote most of the time and can get to the office well without a car. The main thing I'd use transportation for is going out to nature, but I didn't really use my car for that very much because my car had such low clearance.

I guess the question is: what's the opportunity cost? If I got rid of the car and took the moneys, would I plonk the funds (and budget savings from insurance and gas) into like a ROTH?

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Basically yes. I heard specifically that a lot of the London banks are so tied up with Russian money of dubious provenance that it would be catastrophic to their banking sector to do much more.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Freaquency posted:

Basically yes. I heard specifically that a lot of the London banks are so tied up with Russian money of dubious provenance that it would be catastrophic to their banking sector to do much more.

This seems somewhat farcical as Russia's GDP is less than Canada's. They're not even in the top 10

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

There are some moves in the work to freeze a lot of Russia’s central banks assets that they have in foreign currency. Essentially most of this is not held in physical money, but it’s all digital, so you can freeze them out of changing dollars to rubles and vice versa.

I think Russia definitely has had some fuckups and really expected to just roll into Kyiv. There’s been video of Russian tanks stuck on the road out of gas. How the gently caress does a competent military let that happen? They just don’t seem that prepared for even a week long fight.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Bird in a Blender posted:

There are some moves in the work to freeze a lot of Russia’s central banks assets that they have in foreign currency. Essentially most of this is not held in physical money, but it’s all digital, so you can freeze them out of changing dollars to rubles and vice versa.

I think Russia definitely has had some fuckups and really expected to just roll into Kyiv. There’s been video of Russian tanks stuck on the road out of gas. How the gently caress does a competent military let that happen? They just don’t seem that prepared for even a week long fight.

All militaries aren't the US military and just roll over people, OP.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

This seems somewhat farcical as Russia's GDP is less than Canada's. They're not even in the top 10

It’s specifically London. The city is in part propped up by Russian money that they openly courted in the 2010s. There have been efforts in Parliament to clean things up and differentiate between “clean” and “dirty” Russian money but somehow the measures never seem to go anywhere :thunk:

the fact that all of this lines up with Russian efforts to launder billions of dollars out of Russia is surely a coincidence!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MrLogan posted:

Russia has like 10x the military budget of Ukraine and like 5x the amount of enlisted. Things like tanks getting stuck because they ran out of gas three days into a war is just pure incompetence or corruption run amok.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Russia has like 10x the military budget of Ukraine and like 5x the amount of enlisted. Things like tanks getting stuck because they ran out of gas three days into a war is just pure incompetence or corruption run amok.

I have to imagine they thought they'd have infrastructure captured on day 1, but they got just enough resistance that their initial supplies ran out. Now it's a race between the sanctions and the eu rearming the Ukrainians and however many troops russia is willing to keep throwing at the problem.

End game for russia sanction-wise is Germany finally getting on board with the swift ban, because then they stop paying Russia for gas, which is a huge component of their GDP. That's true commitment from them because it's more than half of Germany's gas supply.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

elon literally played a bit part as himself in iron man

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Russia tripping all over its dick while attacking a purportedly inferior opponent sounds exactly par for course, looking forward to their solution to embarrassment and getting bogged down being war crimes

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

MrLogan posted:

The US military is the only one that understands basic logistics. Got it.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://twitter.com/lesiavasylenko/status/1497677986136576002

Sounds like Russian bombers are coming in for an old fashioned mass bombing raid.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Begun, the poo poo posting wars have

https://twitter.com/ukraine/status/1497703466352926722?s=21

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

It started raining here on Wednesday and it literally has no stopped. Not for ten minutes. I've woken up in the middle of the night to rain and every morning to rain. It's just rain, rain, rain. Suburbs around me have had to be evacuated but I'm in a high area with amazing drainage and will be fine no matter what. I'm supposed to begin my new job tomorrow and have no idea if roads will be closed or not. If I wasn't anxious enough about starting a new job.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Amazing how he forgets the CEO in Die Hard.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

Took my first ever climbing class this afternoon and it loving ruled

Gonna be the next Alex Honnold

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg posted:

Amazing how he forgets the CEO in Die Hard.

I think he's referring to biopics of real people, like The Social Network and that new Elizabeth Holmes movie. But even then, wasn't at least one of the Steve Jobs films relatively hagiographic, same with that movie from the mid 90s about the creation of Microsoft.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Grittybeard posted:

Am I missing a joke or am I just too dumb to understand why Chernobyl is a useful military target?

e: Like my initial thought imagining I live there is y'all can have that if you want it, just leave the rest of us alone.

Hopefully not the reason but... who the gently caress knows

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1497568972652302342

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

I think he's referring to biopics of real people, like The Social Network and that new Elizabeth Holmes movie. But even then, wasn't at least one of the Steve Jobs films relatively hagiographic, same with that movie from the mid 90s about the creation of Microsoft.

Reminder that The Social Network predates just about everything that today's public takes issue with re: Facebook and Zuck.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Qwijib0 posted:

Hopefully not the reason but... who the gently caress knows

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1497568972652302342

So when this happened proto FSB agents were seen leaving the apartment the day before, and friendly press accidentally reported it before it happened.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

But even then, wasn't at least one of the Steve Jobs films relatively hagiographic, same with that movie from the mid 90s about the creation of Microsoft.

Yeah, the TV movie, Pirates of Silicon Valley was pretty kind in its treatment of Jobs. The Danny Boyle movie from seven years ago is basically two hours of hero worship. The movie with Ashton Kutcher was so bland and boring that I barely remember anything about it, outside of it following the bog-standard biopic formula.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

I have to imagine there’s even greater corruption and incompetence around the Russian or Chinese military after seeing the impacts of US military contracting graft.

Will be curious to see what happens once there are more sanctions in place if the military campaign gets drawn out. Really feels like Putin goofed with this.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I would like the outcome of this to be that Russia is shown to be a paper tiger whose biggest threat are hacker nerds in basements but I wouldn’t take that bet.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

BigPaddy posted:

I would like the outcome of this to be that Russia is shown to be a paper tiger whose biggest threat are hacker nerds in basements but I wouldn’t take that bet.

The problem is that then there is no elevation of threat above cyber attack that isn't nuclear in nature.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

BigPaddy posted:

I feel like I’ve read analysis over the past couple of years this is the case tho. Still Cold War era equipment by and large that hasn’t been greatly maintained.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had to cut through the mall earlier today and was stopped dead by a dude with his family wearing a Tulsi Gabbard for president jacket. He didn't see me, but his kid clearly saw me see it and do a double take, head shake and walk on.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Go Bulls!

https://mobile.twitter.com/terrellj...com%2F521752760

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
One thing that I am surprised we haven't seen is crazy conspiracy theories about what's at Chernobyl that made the Russians take it. Like where are the theories about radioactive zombies, or supersoldiers, or dimensional gateways etc. Why can't QAnon divert their attention to something entertaining?

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/1497721454250508288?s=21

Its 9 o’clock. Do you know where your aloha is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I was running around doing errands all day and because I was hungry I stopped by McDonald's. They advertised their Menu Hacks and saw they had the Sea, Land & Air burger (triple combo of Filet-o-Fish, Big Mac, and McChicken). Since I'm a :btroll: & easily swayed by advertising I ordered it.

$12 and I gotta build this monstrosity myself? :chloe: