Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer

deep dish peat moss posted:

I have now mysteriously started experiencing the really bad hitching everyone was talking about, with the added bonus of every time it happens I lose control of my character and they just keep moving in whatever direction I was moving in when it froze up for a sec

Replace or charge your controller batteries (or unplug and replug the dongle)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

beep by grandpa posted:

Inside Of Every Tarnished One there are one Jellyfish

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

School Nickname posted:

Parry is a meme in this game though.
compared to what? there's multiple parryable bosses I've already encountered so it feels more useful in that context than in most fromsoft games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

avoraciopoctules posted:

I was pretty disappointed in Crystal Barrage at first, but I suspect that the inefficient slow-to-cast multi shot spells might show their worth when you are fighting enemies that have a PC style dodge.

100% correct. I always have boulders equipped because the cast baits out man sized enemy dodges then they get slammed by boulders. It almost feels like cheating against things like dodgy assassins when you just chump them with boulders from the other side of the room.

How do you get into turtle towers btw? I bought an info tip that said I should clear its feet but it doesn't seem to do anything when I run around killing all the dudes on the ground.

JBP fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 26, 2022

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

avoraciopoctules posted:

I definitely had a rough time with them. There's not enough space to let the jellyfish soak up aggro, and as a mage I think it might be resistant to glintstone attacks. I'd probably just pass on it till way later, I looked up the reward and it doesn't look game-changing.

Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I had him down close once but most of the time I'm dead really fast.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I started as Wretch. I found some sorcery early, but twenty hours later I still haven't found a thing to cast spells with. I can cast incantations, but not sorcery.

Is there a place I should look?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
My PS5 says I’ve played about 3 hours and I’m at 0% progress. Game is real good.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Heath posted:

I did some jolly cooperation last night in Castle Morne and what I have discovered is this:

9/10 times, if there is a giant group of enemies, all of whom are distracted, and there is a clear path around them and they can be easily avoided, players will charge directly into them and aggro them all at once, get badly owned, and then summon you again to repeat the process, no matter how much you try to lead them away

Yeah I learned real quick not to gently caress with those birdmen if I don't have to. There's like 8 of them on that pile of garbage.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
anyone know where the demihuman monkey friend goes after you give him sewing kit in cave?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

I started as Wretch. I found some sorcery early, but twenty hours later I still haven't found a thing to cast spells with. I can cast incantations, but not sorcery.

Is there a place I should look?

I got mine from being teleported to a very scary place and creeping around, but I also found one on the South island of limgrave. You find some ruins in the woods and kill a large beastman to get it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

JBP posted:

How do you get into turtle towers btw? I fought and info tip that said I should clear its feet but it doesn't seem to do anything when I run around killing all the dudes on the ground.
if you mean the walking bell towers, they have like... skull crystal growths on their feet you have to smash

once you get enough of them it will fall down, so get out from underneath it at that point(or become pancake, skeleton)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

KidDynamite posted:

this sucks i guess if you beat magrit or godrick before talking to her she's gone. Wonder if she's the lady who showed up at the round table after I beat godrick? She mentioned me talking to her when I hadn't.

Yeah it's weird. I talked to her and she asked me to do something. Then I beat margit and walked past the shack, talked to her and she acted like I'd done the thing she wanted and hosed off to the round table. I think it might be a bug.

beep by grandpa posted:

Me and my best friend Colonel Jellyfish just dispatched this craven fiend by breaking his AI at about the 50% mark. We broke his will to fight

I beat it in a similar way. It hit a wall just right and just froze for the rest of the fight.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

JBP posted:

I got mine from being teleported to a very scary place and creeping around, but I also found one on the South island of limgrave. You find some ruins in the woods and kill a large beastman to get it.

Is the "scary place" the centipede man mine?

And by south island, do you mean the dragon communion church island or do I need to go further south, like past the Forlorn Hound Evergaol?

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
I was seeing random stuttering, only really obvious when playing with steam in home streaming. but after updating drivers (there are Elden ring specific fixes in the Feb 14 Nvidia drivers) it was stable fps unless I streamed it to my tv

Fixed streaming and getting consistent 60fps by going to 1080p instead of 1440p (made the biggest difference of anything I've tried), and setting most graphics options to max (except grass at med/high, and dof/motion blur off)

If you have an Nvidia card you can force adaptive vsync in the Nvidia control panel app after yesterday's patch too. Make sure to enable triple buffering unless you force vsync off in the control panel

This game is locked to 60fps no matter what, and it does feel way smoother with vsync on or adaptive in Nvidia settings when streaming

(gtx 2070 and a pretty old i7)

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I loving FELLED GODRICK

AAAAAAAA

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

This game like making GBS threads out the +6 and above upgrade mats and refusing to give you the +1 stuff.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Spoilers abound here but if you've cleared out 90% of an area and are unsure about that 10% you possibly missed check this out

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Interactive+Map

good little interactive map. I don't think its 100% filled in yet but the starting areas are pretty well covered already

Edit: of course i post that and now it quit working for me for some reason, at least the small specific things

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 26, 2022

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

anyone know where the demihuman monkey friend goes after you give him sewing kit in cave?

I met him again after I took the shortcut past Stormveil castle just at the entrance to the next big area. The same bonf... grace where the girl sends you to Roundtable for the first time.

And yes I also got teleported rear end middle of nowhere and face a drat fire giant until I realized I can just teleport out

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

marshmallow creep posted:

Is the "scary place" the centipede man mine?

And by south island, do you mean the dragon communion church island or do I need to go further south, like past the Forlorn Hound Evergaol?

Yes. If you ride through the gross red swamps you will find a place called the sages village or similar. There is a very good staff in the window of a ruined building on the edge of the ruined town. I snuck up and took it.

Yeah if you look into the distance you can see another island to the south. Head there and the woods are on your right. It's a large island with an erdtree on it

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Found my first duelist pvp summon and killed my first invader. I never intended to be an axe user but this Hoarfrost stomp and axe are really sweet.

TeaJay posted:

I met him again after I took the shortcut past Stormveil castle just at the entrance to the next big area. The same bonf... grace where the girl sends you to Roundtable for the first time.

And yes I also got teleported rear end middle of nowhere and face a drat fire giant until I realized I can just teleport out

gracias. I'm going back and exploring the starter area after I explored the left side of the map until I couldn't survive any futher. Lots of junk down here and early bosses I should've ran into 2 days ago lol.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I'm finally going to break and buy a controller because kn+m is such an aggressive afterthought for this game. Is there a recommended or best controller for PC? Just use a dualsense?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dunno what I'm missing to progress in the Raya tower but the named enemy in there can suck a fat one. gently caress yeah infinite mp teleporting. Fuuuuck you.

Also while the AI bosses won't fall off cliffs anymore and seemingly no longer take fall damage, you can lure elites and named enemies into elevator pits which will kill them and give you their items. Very handy for the the knight in lower stormveil and the named guy guarding Ranalas boss door.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm finally going to break and buy a controller because kn+m is such an aggressive afterthought for this game. Is there a recommended or best controller for PC? Just use a dualsense?

Xbox (microsoft) is pretty seamless and probably the go to choice for gaming in general

the Dual shock 4 worked perfectly with no loving around on Steam, but i've had issue getting the DS4 to work with other games.

Also sony is a bunch of fucktards and shits their lawsuit pants if a PC title DARES use their controller button icons

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

whoever decided to make it so pressing the map button a second time brings up a HELP menu instead of closing the map, ya mom's a hoe

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
If I use an Ashes of War on a weapon, is the AoW used up and can't be used again? Or is it that the previous one is removed, so if it was something I liked and didn't have, I can't reattach it until I find it? I assume the second, but that makes the AoW duplication weirder.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hiro Protagonist posted:

If I use an Ashes of War on a weapon, is the AoW used up and can't be used again? Or is it that the previous one is removed, so if it was something I liked and didn't have, I can't reattach it until I find it? I assume the second, but that makes the AoW duplication weirder.

You can move them around it's great!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

got the crucible knight down! it took multiple long attempts and i got off a few parries but i had to learn how to perfectly roll through all of his attacks while sneaking in hits. the pike is my main weapon and the extra reach is helping in alot of fights.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

This game like making GBS threads out the +6 and above upgrade mats and refusing to give you the +1 stuff.

Its really weird.

In the Luria lake right by the tower on legs with a bell underneath it there is a cave whose boss guards infinite tier one and two smithing stones from the shop. The boss seems doable for anyone with a 100% physical damage block shield and a willingness to guard counter its insanely telegraphed single hit moves.

They stones are expensive as hell though, 800 and 1600 respectively

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

terrorist ambulance posted:

The Xbox controllers are about as good as you can get. The Steam controllers have had some good reviews but there's a reason the Xbox controller has been the go-to for like 15 years now for PC gaming.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
ALSO.. um, I found Irinia went to the castle and killed the boss before I gave her letter to Edgar. when i returned to her spot she was dead :( If I had found Edgar and given him the letter before I killed the boss would she still be alive? I'm faith build so kinda annoyed if I just lost a faith vendor

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

humblebrag time, *that* was the boss everyone was complaining about being too hard for the first one? it took three tries, and the first two were because his attacks are so slow and telegraphed i kept rolling into them

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
How do the summon boundaries work for the overworld stuff? Can I summon a buddy on one side of the map and ride to the other? Is there a difference between gold sign/pool summons with the area you're leashed to?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Nah you can take the Ash off and the old weapon art/stat scaling will return. I think Ash duplication is just there for putting the same ash on more than one weapon at a time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

whoever decided to make it so pressing the map button a second time brings up a HELP menu instead of closing the map, ya mom's a hoe

https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1497626386856656896?s=20&t=Mws7hajn22f0mEiOn9Nf3Q

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Time of day boss spoilers

There's a boss here that only spawns at night. Not sure if it's part of a quest or if there's any way to know this would happen, but it's there.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
which stat governs spell slots? I'm guessing Mind but it doesn't say

is there a way to see descriptions of your status effects? I think ds3 let you do this iirc

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

compared to what? there's multiple parryable bosses I've already encountered so it feels more useful in that context than in most fromsoft games

i think he means the skill "parry" as opposed to the very easy and much better "guard counter"

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

RealityWarCriminal posted:

which stat governs spell slots? I'm guessing Mind but it doesn't say

is there a way to see descriptions of your status effects? I think ds3 let you do this iirc

You get items to increase your slots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
that one teleport trap is one of the best things in the game btw

Cowcaster posted:

i think he means the skill "parry" as opposed to the very easy and much better "guard counter"
yeah, that's also what I mean. I'm not super far in and there's already been multiple bosses I can parry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Oh yeah you can buy a spell slot item from the twins in roundtable hold. I've found one more but I forget where.

E: I remember, there's a building on that south island of Limgrave with a magically sealed door.