Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1497664806958030851

The Russian airborne forces are not having a good war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Jesus. It'd be kinder to shoot them in the back of the head before dropping them.
They would have had minutes.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

My understanding is that Soviet doctrine is about battalion level and below just executing pre-made drills for simple orders a while any sort of initiative and strategy happens at the field grade and above, evidently they haven’t evolved much from that.

Yep, this was actually one of the big weaknesses in a lot of Arab armies in their battles versus Israel. Israel had command delegation and the Syrians were all terrified to do anything without orders from the top and the Israelis exploited that by taking out the Syrian command structure.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Starting to get the idea that Glenn Greenwald is quite possibly a loving moron

He's a strong contender for dumbest motherfucker on Earth. But nice to have around since if someone says something pro-Glenn you can just ignore anything else that person ever says.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Financial director for Gazprom, Russia's state-owned energy company and largest Russian company by revenue, found dead of suicide. (Warning: article in Russian)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
To whoever asked if the Ukrainians have bagged a general yet, the answer may be yes.

https://mobile.twitter.com/sentdefender/status/1497659472411570179?s=21

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497631911241564164

"I lived through this, and I said that George Bush was a good guy and we should probably do what he says and enhance the security of America."

Wait really? lol

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Jesus. It'd be kinder to shoot them in the back of the head before dropping them.
They would have had minutes.

Literally starting to feel bad for them

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

To whoever asked if the Ukrainians have bagged a general yet, the answer may be yes.

But it doesn't make have sense having chechens moving all the way over to the northwestern part of the AO.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait really? lol

quote:

I had not abandoned my trust in the Bush administration. Between the president's performance in the wake of the 9/11 attacks, the swift removal of the Taliban in Afghanistan, and the fact that I wanted the president to succeed, because my loyalty is to my country and he was the leader of my country, I still gave the administration the benefit of the doubt. I believed then that the president was entitled to have his national security judgment deferred to, and to the extent that I was able to develop a definitive view, I accepted his judgment that American security really would be enhanced by the invasion of this sovereign country.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stairmaster posted:

seems premature to say russia is losing when they've been taking ground nonstop and have kiev encircled. too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

no one is saying Russian is losing, but their plan absolutely went to poo poo when the first airport takeover was repulsed after they couldn't get any forces to it due to them eating javelins left and right. they are absolutely taking losses they were not expecting.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Stairmaster posted:

Encircled isn't accurate. Forays have been made into the city, but repelled. The airborne attempts to encircle have proven unsuccessful. Biden and the State Department never made promises beyond arms and sanctions, with actual military intervention being nonviable unless we wanted to start WW3.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Have there been any further reports about the two transport planes supposedly downed last night?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Russian casualties so far, per Ukraine MoD (so take with a grain of salt, but they seem to have been fairly accurate so far):

https://twitter.com/MattMcBradley/status/1497672326606950409

The Russians have already lost almost 1.5 times as many troops in the first 3 days as the US lost during 20 years of war in Afghanistan.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 26, 2022

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Finland lost the Winter War but Russia had a hell of a pyrrhic victory. This will probably go the same way.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arrath posted:

Have there been any further reports about the two transport planes supposedly downed last night?

It was confirmed by the US. AWACS on the Polish border saw it.

https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497430637166407686

Also:

https://twitter.com/ECampbell360/status/1497670938720182277?t=FGCK-w5eGWTe_Vnp1sRMYg&s=19

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

no one is saying Russian is losing, but their plan absolutely went to poo poo when the first airport takeover was repulsed after they couldn't get any forces to it due to them eating javelins left and right. they are absolutely taking losses they were not expecting.

How do you know what level of losses the russians were expecting? They knew what lethal aid the ukrainian army was getting and nobody in their right mind would plan an airborne op without considering the highly likely outcome of it failing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

They’re not winning though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Like calling your parents from jail

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/igorkossov/status/1497668952159363084?s=21

Super pro click for very up to minute military details from the Kyiv Independent.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cugel the Clever posted:

Encircled isn't accurate. Forays have been made into the city, but repelled. The airborne attempts to encircle have proven unsuccessful. Biden and the State Department never made promises beyond arms and sanctions, with actual military intervention being nonviable unless we wanted to start WW3.

Yeah I'm not saying Biden doesn't have room for improvement but his response pre- and post- invasion seems competent and realistic. Organized a coherent response from European allies while making it clear America has their back, sent Ukraine large amounts of useful weapons, and warned Russia repeatedly not to invade and afterwards has followed up to enact sanctions.

Some suggestions I've seen haven't been sane and likely to provoke a shooting war, such as NATO establishing a no-fly zone or sending carriers into the Black Sea, or pressing a button to admit Ukraine into NATO. Especially as the alternative to Biden would either have sided with Putin, left NATO, or demanded payments be sent to him personally.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Stairmaster posted:

What in the gently caress

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

nobody in their right mind would plan an airborne op without considering the highly likely outcome of it failing.

There's "airborne drops are inherently risky" and then there's "we watched one IL-76 go down and then decided to do it again and lost a second."

I mean I haven't been through War College or even Battle Staff but I've always had the impression that when you don't have control over the skies or a decent path through air defense, airborne operations are a Bad Idea™

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Loden Taylor posted:

There's "airborne drops are inherently risky" and then there's "we watched one IL-76 go down and then decided to do it again and lost a second."

I mean I haven't been through War College or even Battle Staff but I've always had the impression that when you don't have control over the skies or a decent path through air defense, airborne operations are a Bad Idea™

The Soviets and Russians have a really weird fetish for airborne stuff. Like back in the 30s there were tons of parachute training clubs for regular citizens.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Whoa! I was just guessing that felt inevitable. Next prediction: widespread mutinies and defections

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Loden Taylor posted:

I'd imagine it would be combined with pretty comprehensive SEAD and EW coverage, but I'm not in charge of Russia's Most Beautiful War You've Ever Seen.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/olex_scherba/status/1497668674563489792?s=21

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Stairmaster posted:

too bad biden and the state department will never be held accountable for leaving ukraine in the wind

I'm taking this out on you as a representative of this talking point, which I keep seeing.

What the gently caress do you want the US to do?

Putin has the world's largest supply of canned sunshine, is a megalomaniac on his best days, and seems to no longer be having his best days.

Too many people are forgetting that for the first time in a generation, the guy on the other side has tha ability to end the world.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Nuke map still down?

It's been 2 days now

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Handsome Ralph posted:

Agreed with the rest of your post but on this, nah, take it from me, gently caress Gravel "Institute". I was an early supporter and was happy to see them say they were going to attempt to take Prager U's bullshit head on, but all they've done is get high on their own supply and put out their own terrible bullshit that sells false narratives. A lot of these assholes seem to think just because they want Medicare for all, they're also righteous about everything else.

I think we're basically on the same page about them based on our shared use of quotation marks around "institute".

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

stealie72 posted:

I'm taking this out on you as a representative of this talking point, which I keep seeing.

Putin has the world's largest supply of canned sunshine, is a megalomaniac on his best days, and seems to no longer be having his best days.

Too many people are forgetting that for the first time in a generation, the guy on the other side has tha ability to end the world.

Beats me. The same people trying to blame this entirely on the Biden Administration also wouldn't accept putting any US forces on the ground. The US and NATO allies engaged in the most intense diplomatic sprint since probably the end of the cold war, if not the Cuban Missile Crisis (to include getting reluctant Russophile countries like Germany on board with sanctions); supplied a large amount of advanced infantry weapons to the Ukrainian ground troops; were very clear in declassifying intelligence to brief everyone of the severity of the situation; and were also very clear about the economic costs that Russia would incur. There were policy failures going back to 2014 (including a soft response by the Obama administration, and then literal extortion by the Trump administration), but the run up to this was handled about as deftly as any administration in their situation possibly could.

Sometimes a madman is at the wheel and you can't do anything but cushion the impact.

psydude fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Feb 26, 2022

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

i can't believe the us would make russia do this

edit:

:lol:

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497688096057577473

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

May he rest in piss. The sheer level of war crimes I’ve seen recorded today, including an attack on an ambulance has been… gently caress this rear end in a top hat.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code

Did anyone else see the samurai sword or was it just me? The last thing some Russian hears is going to be "Omae wa mou shindeiru."

zharmad
Feb 9, 2010

Stultus Maximus posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1497631911241564164

"I lived through this, and I said that George Bush was a good guy and we should probably do what he says and enhance the security of America."

I'm sorry, is this the same tucker max of I hope they serve beer in hell / early 2000's internet famous for having a dating application on his website? Did he pull his head of his rear end finally or is he just still being an rear end in a top hat?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

zharmad posted:

I'm sorry, is this the same tucker max of I hope they serve beer in hell / early 2000's internet famous for having a dating application on his website? Did he pull his head of his rear end finally or is he just still being an rear end in a top hat?

He got worst. He owns a publishing agency that offers ghostwriting services and he and his wife tweet redpilled alt right poo poo. CRT and all that.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

stealie72 posted:

Yeah, these are basically the key considerations. The general intelligence coming back is that the war is a one-man decision (Putin) and he's not acting like, or is thinking like, he used to. One tweet from an analyst was basically like "Putin sounds like he spent the entire pandemic reading crazy books." And considering how accurate the intelligence community got this whole thing, yeesh.

So the administration is asking hard questions (and delaying) like - could Russia/Putin interpret providing more guns/ammo to Ukraine right now as actively joining the war, or the usual stuff we/they do have done for years? Is that even legal? Could those guns/ammo get to where they're needed, or is the general situation too hosed and the Russians could get them?

psydude posted:

Sometimes a madman is at the wheel and you can't do anything but cushion the impact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zharmad posted:

Tucker Max was the poster child for date rapist frat bro’s. Honestly I’m surprised he has any thing now, because his shtick is no longer in the mainstream to say the very least. Last thing I remember reading about him was that his writing for Hustler.