Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Zero posted:

To be fair, it's not the game's fault, it's the people who have cleared it 6 million times and don't give a poo poo if someone hasn't done it before.

It is the game's fault though? Like, the designers could have made the conscious decision to segregate the plot of each dungeon from the actual gameplay by giving you a quest before going inside and then having you resolve things in a solo instance after, but that's not what they've done. Plot takes place in parallel to gameplay, so people who have already done/aren't interested in plot can just rush past everything while the people who are interested in that stuff come out of dialogue wondering where everyone went and why there's no enemies left.

They could also have just had the story content be its own solo instance you'd do for the skill point and some Undaunted experience, and then the group version can just be zoomy-zoom poo poo for gear and such like it is now, but they didn't do that, either. So it's absolutely the game's fault for the terrible dungeon experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Yes, those are all suggestions they've steadfastedly ignored for years. It's not entirely the ZOSs fault, but they certainly bear some responsibility for it.

Going into it with a premade group is definitely the way to go, and it sucks that not only is the default experience so bad for so many people, and that the only reasonable solutions are find your own group or git good and solo, but since the story quests are not repeatable, even if you do that you've missed out on a bunch. At least you can do them on an alt or on PTS.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Regarding the other changes: I think the further conflation of weapon and spell damage is a good idea because it will allow for more build diversity, fun weapon & set combos and force ZOS to create some more meaningful morphs of many abilities.

But I do not buy that this is done to make things more interesting or easier for the players.

I think all signs point to the fact that the underlying combat code is complete dogshit. This is why the devs recently said that they need to rewrite some fundamental parts of the code to fix Cyrodiil performance. After years of trying to get away with hand aid fixes they not only ran out of options, but also really have to act now because the server lag is no longer only affecting PVPers. It started bleeding into PVE content and Normies start to notice it.

Rewriting their combat code base will take more than a year, so in the meantime to take off as much load as possible they get rid of as many unnecessary calculations as possible (see also changes to projectile and pet set effects).

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Played with somebody called Sigourney Skeever yesterday.

DoriDori240
Aug 1, 2003

Needs more Anna Ohura

the panacea posted:

Regarding the other changes: I think the further conflation of weapon and spell damage is a good idea because it will allow for more build diversity, fun weapon & set combos and force ZOS to create some more meaningful morphs of many abilities.

But I do not buy that this is done to make things more interesting or easier for the players.

I think all signs point to the fact that the underlying combat code is complete dogshit. This is why the devs recently said that they need to rewrite some fundamental parts of the code to fix Cyrodiil performance. After years of trying to get away with hand aid fixes they not only ran out of options, but also really have to act now because the server lag is no longer only affecting PVPers. It started bleeding into PVE content and Normies start to notice it.

Rewriting their combat code base will take more than a year, so in the meantime to take off as much load as possible they get rid of as many unnecessary calculations as possible (see also changes to projectile and pet set effects).

This is, I suspect, the real reason why they have decided to do account-wide achievements. Right now they have to have detailed databases of up to 18 individual characters on each account, tracking progress and completion on all of them (and different world states for each). I don't buy that this is an altruistic move at all. It does seem to have the plurality of the playerbase excited, so I guess there is that.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I'm not a serious enough player to argue one way or another about account-wide achievements. I'm OK with it. I do like the idea that I could use the "style master" title on goofy alts without having to burn a million crafting motifs again. I also feel a little silly for individually earning the "magnanimous" title from the New Life event on like 8 different characters, but that was kind of its own reward.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

ASenileAnimal posted:

especially if youre a dps and you have to wait like 40 minutes.
The best part is after waiting 40 minutes, you get queued with three other DPS players, two of whom just picked 'tank' or 'healer' to skip the line.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

g0del posted:

The best part is after waiting 40 minutes, you get queued with three other DPS players, two of whom just picked 'tank' or 'healer' to skip the line.

I haven't played in a while since before this zerg rush to the finish of dungeons was a thing, but my main is a healer and I have a good dps alt. With this current trend does it mean "don't even heal or you will pull heal agro because everyone is just running through things even if they are almost dead because they are idiots?" I've been down that road in other games before. It's not fun. Not asking you specifically, anyone in general.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Most speed runners in the dungeon queue are not that level of ridiculous. They'll run fast and skip sections, but they'll still generally actually kill the mobs. Also once a mob had been agroed by the lead speed runner you're not going to pull agro unless you attack, so healing should be fine. The speedrunning random normals sucks for new players who are dragged along without the speed boosts high level players have, without the ability to functionally do quests and without and understanding of what's happening, but if everyone is on the same page it generally works out fine.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
Started playing in mid-December. I am not a good video game player in general. Tonight I solo'd my first dolmen. Just a few weeks ago that would have seemed impossible. Yay!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

should i gold my gear out before tanking vet dungeons or will i be fine with all purple?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ASenileAnimal posted:

should i gold my gear out before tanking vet dungeons or will i be fine with all purple?

Purple works, it's more about whether you have good armor value, good practices keeping your defensive buffs up, and knowing the fights forwards and backwards

trash pulls in vets are often pretty serious business - getting your talons just right is important too

like, I'm a tank too and I could honestly do some of these fights naked, no joke, so long as I know the mechanics very very well

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

generally speaking, for running vets with pubs, I NEED protective set bonuses. If I know the team, I'll put on buff/debuff armor, but there's something to be said for being able to watch everyone die, pop 45k shielding at maximum armor and with Major+Minor Protection, survive the OHKO mechanic, then rez the healer.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 7, 2022

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I thought I was a good tank MagKnight, like 400 CP but I totally got creamed the first veteran dungeon I tried and everyone yelled at me for being a fake tank. :(

Jesus In A Can
Jul 2, 2007
From Concentrate
Any chance I could get an invite to the NA PC goon guild? @tenuredbeef

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Another Bill posted:

I thought I was a good tank MagKnight, like 400 CP but I totally got creamed the first veteran dungeon I tried and everyone yelled at me for being a fake tank. :(
Not that you can't magika tank but it's rough. What's your tanks hit points look like?

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

imperial city is fun but godamn there are some absolute stone cold killers running around there. i saw someone getting swarmed by like 20 dudes and his health bar wasent even going down

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Jesus that antiquity grind. Finally done.

Also apparently they added DLSS at some point? I enabled that and bumped up the resolution, game looks much better now.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

what sets should i be collecting for a pvp stamdk? right now in running plaguebreak and pariahs set and im doing ok but i usually get my rear end kicked by really tanky dks and those bubble templars that can heal through all my damage in 1 on 1 fights.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I can't offer set recs, but I can say plaguebreak, while absurdly strong in some situations, is not very helpful 1v1, especially if the player avoids purging it. I can also say the thing I hate most in PVP is getting stunned, so maybe a set that stuns. Dark Convergence has some hosed up combos, but I don't know its ins and outs beyond that I hate being up against players that know how to use it. Also I hope you're either running a monster set or mythic to complement your setup.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

im running balorgh for my monster set. i switched plaguebreak to daedric trickery along with swapping bow for sword and board and im doing alot better. this event kicks rear end and i wish imperial city was full more often and the lag wasent as bad.

insane anime
Aug 5, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
oh theres a pvp event???? :twisted: might be time to update

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

*glyph noises intensify*

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

SplitSoul posted:

*glyph noises intensify*

Performance enchanting doping!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I just had a group defeat Zaan with 25k net DPS. It helped that the healer was fairly experienced. We just....slowly, methodolically whittled her rear end down. I had to keep rezzing people, but I cannot die, so that's not too much of a problem.

I keep thinking that maybe I should be running a buff tank set for running pubs, but.....focusing on hardcore survival, max-armor, taunt-everything-with-Tormentor, thou-shalt-not-break-my-shielding survival really does enable what would otherwise be a painful run to run semi-smoothly.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
I bought this game a while ago when it was on sale, just now started playing it to satiate an RPG desire without paying $60 for Elden Ring. Lots to catch up on wrt info on the game so pointers would be nice.

Playing as a Nord Dragonknight or whatever unoriginal Skyrim related class it was and am in Vvardenfell at level 9.

One thing that bugs me though is sometimes when I boot the game (from Steam) I can’t play full screen. The screen is black. I have to alt-enter to play in windowed mode. Any fix for this? Google suggestions aren’t very helpful.

It seems to happen if I let my computer go to sleep and then play the game. Literally worked perfect last night, but this afternoon it didn’t.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

dialhforhero posted:

I bought this game a while ago when it was on sale, just now started playing it to satiate an RPG desire without paying $60 for Elden Ring. Lots to catch up on wrt info on the game so pointers would be nice.

Playing as a Nord Dragonknight or whatever unoriginal Skyrim related class it was and am in Vvardenfell at level 9.
Get to level 10, go to cyrodill (the PVP zone), do the intro quests. This requires no PVP, but will level up your skill line enough to get a few key skills: Vigor a stam based heal, and the passive Continuous Attack which gets you +30% mount speed. Right now is a PVP event, so do the intro quest on the docks in Vvardenfell first and you get a scroll to get double AP (the PVP leveling xp/currency).

If you want to level do the daily dungeon (PVE) and daily battleground (PVP) these also unlock at level 10. If you just want to quest don't worry about leveling and quest.

Upgrade your bagspace and bank space, also go to the horse training guy and buy the bag space/speed upgrades, one per day.

Gold rewards are level based, so if gold seems meager right now, leveling up will make the gold rewards more reasonable.

If you have ESO+, gather everything, if you don't, don't worry about mat harvesting, it'll just clog your inventory. If you have the space you could just harvest cloth/wood/jewelry/ore nodes, those are the most valuable (to other players) and only require 2/3 inventory slots each, whereas there are like 20+ runes and flowers each, and 40+ provisioning ingredients.

There are a lot more tips from the long term MMO side of the game, but you can ignore all that if you just want to quest.

quote:

One thing that bugs me though is sometimes when I boot the game (from Steam) I can’t play full screen. The screen is black. I have to alt-enter to play in windowed mode. Any fix for this? Google suggestions aren’t very helpful.

It seems to happen if I let my computer go to sleep and then play the game. Literally worked perfect last night, but this afternoon it didn’t.
Never heard of this. Do you play in actual full screen or windowed (fullscreen)? Maybe try the other one?

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

I've gotten a couple of BG hate whispers for sucking before, but today I got my first one for killing someone. Surprisingly satisfying.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hey ESO goons. I’m a New World refugee looking for a new MMO to play and wanna give this a go again but don’t really wanna play by myself so I was wondering if y’all were active in this game still. Thread seems kinda slow and haven’t jumped in the discord yet. Thanks!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's a massively solo online rpg. The goon guild is quite dead.

However, you can join multiple guilds (for example, I'm in the goon guild, a trade guild, and a guild of some EverQuest friends).

New expansion soon so that'll probably get some players back too, but thanks to the mega server stuff, the world is always bustling and alive, at least the cities.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

xZAOx posted:

It's a massively solo online rpg. The goon guild is quite dead.

However, you can join multiple guilds (for example, I'm in the goon guild, a trade guild, and a guild of some EverQuest friends).

New expansion soon so that'll probably get some players back too, but thanks to the mega server stuff, the world is always bustling and alive, at least the cities.

Well that sounds good. Even if a few goons are playing and can hook me up with some decent pubbies I could enjoy that just fine.

I haven’t played since 2017 so should I just go ahead and roll a new character or see things essentially still the same?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I would not recommend rolling a new character unless you just want to play a new class. There's not really any reason to. The world scales to your level anyways. You can just pick a zone and start questing.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

And contrary to what some people may seem to say on Reddit, this game is also generally free of any dedication to specific builds etc. unless you want to do competitive PvP (from what I understand anyway). It really is just a chill-out-in-the-world-of-Tamriel game.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys. Downloading when I get home. :D

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
My advice - play it like a TES game, as much as you can. I was kind of not enjoying it, but I was playing it more like a MMO (skipping quest dialogue, etc).

Once I stopped doing that, and actually followed the plots and stuff, I started enjoying it 100x more (I do still skip through some of the side-quest dialogue, or skim it). This can help too: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/525351/a-clear-step-by-step-guide-to-playing-eso-in-chronological-order

You would not be looked down upon for skipping the main / launch content, and jumping to Morrowind. Morrowind -> Clockwork City flow into each other and go together (I can't remember if Summerset kind of flowed after those two as well, but I feel like it did?). After that each zone is a more isolated story, to my knowledge, but you can start wherever you want, jump to wherever you want. I enjoyed Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood as well, although they both have spots in it where you have to do some (very minor by MMO standards) grind of their mission-type repeatable content to get rep to get to the next stage.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember at the point I played it started me with Summerset and I ended up starting the DB questline and was just like, "drat this is different when I can't load a save. :v:"

But yeah when I was playing it I found it weird I was actually following the story line like it was interesting. Just remember it being a fun game but stopped playing when I went on deployment.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
I am a new player as well, PM your IGN, maybe some ESO shenanigans?

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Flaggy posted:

I am a new player as well, PM your IGN, maybe some ESO shenanigans?

Done!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Having ignored the Summerset questline since release, but used Alinor as a main hub, I had grown extremely tired of the Altmer whose singular bark was, "You would challenge me to a duel?" Finally completing the quest paid off. :lmao:

Among other things you have to track down his long-rear end full Elvish name in a ruin so the Orc can challenge this undefeated master duelist properly according to hoity-toity Altmer cultural norms. Orc just knocks him out cold on the first swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Finally.

Now to decide whether to sell or use. It was extremely expensive in treasure maps, but with the other motif pages dropping in the meantime I'll still come out ahead.