Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

minema posted:

Why is this more significant than when the UK did it days ago? Because it's closer to Russia?

Because it’s 26 countries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

minema posted:

Why is this more significant than when the UK did it days ago? Because it's closer to Russia?

It's uh...the entire EU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Here it is from Rubio. He's been dead on about pretty much everything else.
https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1497630649968123904?cxt=HHwWgICzgYbJ08gpAAAA

What a guy this Rubio. He has shown true leadership during this crisis. Harris/Rubio 2024?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

minema posted:

Yeah, and cuts off probably vast majority of international flights from Russia.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

minema posted:

The whole continent is basically cutting itself of from Russian airlines.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheRat posted:

That sounds more like internet fantasy than street wisdom to be quite frank.

Not really, there's been no ballistic attack for a while, which makes no sense, except if they have no additional missiles to spare without depriving other units.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

@Cinci, there’s talk of Latvia taking in Russian soldiers that give up in Ukraine, heard anything about it?

Apparently 10 Greek citizens were killed in Mariupol, as announced by Greek PaM Anyone know what they were doing and what happened?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pook Good Mook posted:

So what, Russia just gonna carpet bomb whole neighborhoods?

Guys, fyi from the Land of the Free: it has never worked

Also, Ukraine's still has an air force. Trying to bringing bombers in again would be disastrous.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

minema posted:

Have you seen a map of the EU?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Heavy explosions are being heard in Hostomel, which is just south of Antonov airport (which I believe was the site of the airport battles in the first two days). Seems a bit weird that Russia are concentrating artillery fire on there - if they really have captured the area I'd expect them to have moved further towards Kyiv itself by now.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Reports are they're throwing everything they got at Kyiv tonight

https://twitter.com/sumlenny/status/1497681460022562816?t=GJf-yTj9WG6iz0QieMIySw&s=19

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497683889002881033?t=vV4QBxGumE3jeKMMXWX5_A&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I think they’re out of guided munitions but I believe they have enough artillery shells to level every building in Ukraine.

steinrokkan posted:

Ballistic missiles aren't ordinary bang bangs. They have bang bangs in spades, but not of the sort they need (according to reports)

Oh, I understand there are different kinds of munitions, with different associated manufacturing and maintenance costs. I just hold personal, sceptical belief in them having any kind of (reasonably) ordinary missiles that is measured in just hundreds.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

now hes the ghost of kyiv

I guess the real ghost of Kyiv was all the people murdered along the way.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Seems to be more proof out there the Chechens are already in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/RALee85/status/1497682331380981761

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Mokotow posted:

@Cinci, there’s talk of Latvia taking in Russian soldiers that give up in Ukraine, heard anything about it?

Apparently 10 Greek citizens were killed in Mariupol, as announced by Greek PaM Anyone know what they were doing and what happened?

there's been a Greek minority there forever, back to the Hellenic period. They used to be in Crimea but one of the tsars made them relocate to Mariupol.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

What's even the international response if Russia Dresden's Kyiv tonight?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wistful of Dollars posted:

because then even more people would die, and that's bad.

The tree of liberty!

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Mokotow posted:

Nothing on Latvian Twitter about it. Seems a bit off brand too.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

What a guy this Rubio. He has shown true leadership during this crisis. Harris/Rubio 2024?

Ya Rubio sucks but I'll take his word on matters like this over a random goon.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Mokotow posted:

That sounds extremely improbable. Nothing in publicly owned news, and nothing on Twitter that I can find at a glance.

Maybe this is some convoluted reporting around our facilities for treating Ukrainian war veterans? This is something we’ve been doing since 2014, both physical health and helping manage PTSD and other mental ailments.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

In lighter news, I think I just watched a routine traffic stop on one of the live cameras. I have no idea where this camera is but a cop pulled someone over, talked it out, and they both drove off. Just so happened to take place in perfect framing of the live stream.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

https://twitter.com/marcorubio/status/1497630649968123904?cxt=HHwWgICzgYbJ08gpAAAA

I don't think that Russia is going to use this to justify a nuclear attack on Ukraine though, just justifying the invasion more

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

What's even the international response if Russia Dresden's Kyiv tonight?

More sanctions

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
He gets fed the primo US intel and is an old cold warrior so I doubt hes lying

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

except those IL-76 shootdowns

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

These things are a loving rolling war crime

https://twitter.com/sapitonmix/status/1497685730310635525?t=yEN8K9Oaqfk4gXEbEx7oDQ&s=19

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Do the Ukrainian armed forces have anything left to hold or resist against a full thermobaric rocket barrage against the city?
It sounds like the Russians are gonna burn them out along with any missiles they might have to resist the armoured columns.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SlurredSpeech609 posted:

Ya Rubio sucks but I'll take his word on matters like this over a random goon.

Yeah he is great. Can't wait to vote for him.

Iceache
Jul 9, 2009

Mokotow posted:

https://twitter.com/Pabriks/status/1497575078669668360?t=CvQxetinS6FQqcO6JnSRvA&s=19
The rumors might have started from this tweet, but it's just an idea at the moment

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!

FishBulbia posted:

except those IL-76 shootdowns

Did pictures of those ever surface?

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Kraftwerk posted:

Do the Ukrainian armed forces have anything left to hold or resist against a full thermobaric rocket barrage against the city?
It sounds like the Russians are gonna burn them out along with any missiles they might have to resist the armoured columns.

Their mobility seems to be limited at this stage. Fighting to hold the cities and hiding civies in basements is all thats left. That and attacking supply columns to limit Russian mobility and drag out the conflict.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Despera posted:

He gets fed the primo US intel and is an old cold warrior so I doubt hes lying

Also, the Democratic party isn't raising a stink about him saying anything which seems to me the intel community and the White House is both

A) ok with him tweeting things.
b) Using him strategically to into certain media networks.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Kraftwerk posted:

It's hard to tell what Ukrainian AA is left. They've appeared to be taking out Russian air assets on a semi-regular basis (I think the word was 5/6 planes/helicopters today alone), but Ukrainian obsec is incredibly good so it's hard to know what they've actually got on the ground.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
So would the goal of Russia's false flag on Ukraine causing a radiological crisis be use to justify the invasion more, or something more sinister?

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Kraftwerk posted:

Nothing really exists to resist that, as far as I know, except to not be there.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

If Russia does a dresden to kiev, nato must respond with airstrikes and first strike nuclear should be considered.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr Hootington posted:

Let him be useful for once in his tiny, short life

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Vaginaface posted:

Did pictures of those ever surface?

No, not yet. And US clarified that those were Ukrainian claims, not confirmations. 4 massive 4 engined planes going down would leave quite a debris trail. Not saying it didn't happen, the fighting could be near the crash sites.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

I mean hes the head of the senate intel committee. I dont agree with him about hardly anything but this seems to be his area of expertise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Mr Hootington posted:

Hes on the senate intelligence commitee. He realistically would have some of the best information out there. Stop being an rear end.