Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004

Lawson posted:

OK digging around in the default app settings i found twitter links uncheckboxed for fenix. Rechecking them fixed the problem. thank!

Android 12 made so that app owners can verify they own a domain so that you never see the open with prompt. That is good for official apps, but makes it harder for apps, like unofficial Twitter apps, to handle URLs for sites they don't own. I use a package tracking app and for the last couple updates I have had to go in and select the USPS, UPS, and Fedex urls out of a huge list in the permissions screen to make it handle them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Midjack posted:

Ten years ago when the app was first released there was pressure, overt or otherwise, for OPs on something awful dot com to be 10,000 words long and have a bibliography section. The original developer Ferg decided that was annoying to do on the phone so he opted to work on other things and successive developers have had enough other things on their plates that nobody has gotten around to it yet.

pokeyman posted:

There's no technical pitfalls to worry about, just a couple extra fields bolted on to the reply form.

Oh huh, I thought it might have been a mod-decreed thing, like a "We can create threads but actually the radium developers / moderators really hate when we do that bit of functionality" lol. I coulda sworn that I have posted at least one thread via this app before it was disabled. Maybe that was all a dream though :ohdear:

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I still don't have "search" back :(

When I got the update that said it fixed search, I got a new "Dictionary" option, which tries to look up the selection in a dictionary I don't have installed. No "search" option like there used to be.

I have Copy, Share, Select all, Dictionary, and if I click the three dots I get Create new task.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
The whole page seems to be refreshing when I click on a same page quote link lately. I remember it happening as a fluke before but it's been happening a lot the last couple days

E:
a quote for testing purposes

Hyperlynx posted:

E2:

AARD VARKMAN posted:

E:

E3: I guess it's just doing it every time when clicking on my own quote? I don't remember that being a guaranteed thing. Might be losing my mind

AARD VARKMAN fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 11, 2022

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid
Starting Tuesday maybe, I'm getting greeted by an empty window with the message "Long press to add forums", or something like that. I can swipe forward to get to my bookmarks, which is where the app had been loading before.

I'm on Android.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Duodecimal posted:

Starting Tuesday maybe, I'm getting greeted by an empty window with the message "Long press to add forums", or something like that. I can swipe forward to get to my bookmarks, which is where the app had been loading before.

I'm on Android.

Click the star in the top right, you're only showing favorited subforums rather than forum index

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

AARD VARKMAN posted:

E:

Got my hopes up there, for a moment :sigh:

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

sourdough posted:

Click the star in the top right, you're only showing favorited subforums rather than forum index

Whoops. Thanks, that did it.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Hello friends! I recently started a thread over in The Geebis (thread for reference) and something I noticed while posting in there is that the Awful App doesn't seem to automagically video markup Youtube links like the web client doesn't. I was curious if there's a way we could potentially add a prompt for Youtube links or maybe add a feature to enable auto-vide-embedding? While I do work in tech, I have zero coding experience but would be more than glad to help with feedback, testing, etc

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bagmonkey posted:

Hello friends! I recently started a thread over in The Geebis (thread for reference) and something I noticed while posting in there is that the Awful App doesn't seem to automagically video markup Youtube links like the web client doesn't. I was curious if there's a way we could potentially add a prompt for Youtube links or maybe add a feature to enable auto-vide-embedding? While I do work in tech, I have zero coding experience but would be more than glad to help with feedback, testing, etc

Hit [bb] and select insert video. It even auto fills with your clipboard.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Hit [bb] and select insert video. It even auto fills with your clipboard.

Oh I know this and have learned due to my own mistakes! However, as evidenced by my thread, I don't think all other users are aware that you need to take the extra steps. I've only really recently gotten the hang of how to use the Awful App productively (thanks 5kpt) so my request was also coming from the place of someone who only recently learned how to properly use the UI

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

bagmonkey posted:

Oh I know this and have learned due to my own mistakes! However, as evidenced by my thread, I don't think all other users are aware that you need to take the extra steps. I've only really recently gotten the hang of how to use the Awful App productively (thanks 5kpt) so my request was also coming from the place of someone who only recently learned how to properly use the UI

You're just trying to get additional thread views, aren't you? :v:

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Did something new happen with Twitter? Many Twitter links now go waaaay off the page. Maybe related to the spoiler tag?

Ex:

Shes Not Impressed posted:

No idea. Aric Toler is saying they found out the guy is a priest at a Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Kyiv.

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1496978826953478151?s=20&t=njVKuDm155az1GuTmN8hXw

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
On desktop I have a bookmarklet to hide/remove non-image posts when reading a thread. It's useful for skimming image threads. Does the app have any functionality like that?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Bug: hiding ignored posts disables 'pull for next page' if an ignored post existed on that page.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
Confirming this bug.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

ugh

I'll try to come up with something.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Something in the most recent update has now caused my notification and nav buttons bar to be blue, even on oled theme.

Not use breaking, but mildly annoying as someone who keeps everything as dark as possible.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Wow I've been using the Dark theme and didn't know there was an even darker theme. Just switched to oled!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

taiyoko posted:

Something in the most recent update has now caused my notification and nav buttons bar to be blue, even on oled theme.

Not use breaking, but mildly annoying as someone who keeps everything as dark as possible.

Yeah, I mentioned it in the beta thread since it's specific to that branch.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

With each bump I keep hoping it's that the search context option is fixed :smith:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Hyperlynx posted:

With each bump I keep hoping it's that the search context option is fixed :smith:

Been fixed for me a while now, what are you running?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Skarsnik posted:

Been fixed for me a while now, what are you running?

Awful v3.8.8. Phone is a Samsung Galaxy 20 FE.

Hyperlynx posted:

When I got the update that said it fixed search, I got a new "Dictionary" option, which tries to look up the selection in a dictionary I don't have installed. No "search" option like there used to be.

I have Copy, Share, Select all, Dictionary, and if I click the three dots I get Create new task.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

hooah posted:

Yeah, I mentioned it in the beta thread since it's specific to that branch.

The beta thread? Could I get a link perhaps?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

taiyoko posted:

Ah this has just started happening for me too

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
is there a way to disable the '... / copy / share / text search ' floating text bar entirely? I'd never seen it before, I don't want it, Ave now it hovers over every post

edit: this has made the app basically unusable, I have a floating bar in front of every post. is there a way to downgrade back to 3.8.7 because I am otherwise driven back to using mobile chrome

edit2: maybe it's working correctly again after a reboot?

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 9, 2022

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
what

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah your phone is haunted

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Very rarely when you select text in a post and immediately swipe back to the thread list without dismissing the cut/copy/web search/etc popup, the latter gets stuck and can't be dismissed anymore. Not even by selecting different text or picking one of the options or something. Kicking the app out of memory and restarting it should work though.

I've had this happen two or three times in all the years using this app and never thought of it being worth reporting.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Flipperwaldt posted:

I've had this happen two or three times in all the years using this app and never thought of it being worth reporting.

Exactly :same: here.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

taiyoko posted:

The beta thread? Could I get a link perhaps?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3743815

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Flipperwaldt posted:

Very rarely when you select text in a post and immediately swipe back to the thread list without dismissing the cut/copy/web search/etc popup, the latter gets stuck and can't be dismissed anymore. Not even by selecting different text or picking one of the options or something. Kicking the app out of memory and restarting it should work though.

I have also had it happen about about once a month for years, even through multiple phones, yet until now I never gave it a thought more than "gotta restart the app" or "gently caress it I'm gonna finish this page anyway" lol

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A setting for toggling ads display please.

I though of this after reading this thread (warning has yet another lamentably filthy text post by me (no goatse)]:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3995836&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

It would make our new forums owner happy, too. The default could be "No ads" so you have to opt in, with a check in the program that screen size is sufficient before allowing toggling on ads (I use a pad so not an issue on it for me).

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

taiyoko posted:

Yes this is very distracting on the oled theme.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Found the culprit and deployed a fix version ... to everyone. Hell, even to those weirdos using the Amazon appstore.

Thanks for beta testing, everyone.

Hyperlynx posted:

I can't reproduce this, sorry. I got my hands on a Samsung Tablet with Android 12 and it's working there.
I even went to Samsungs "Remote Test Lab" service and tested it on a S20FE. The second phone I used credits on even had internet :shepface:. The web search option showed up in the three-dot menu.
I'm not saying it's your fault but it seems like it's a "you" problem. Did you maybe do something special to your phone? Custom rom, root, whatever?
Maybe its just some stupid locale thing? Are you on English (US) or some moon language?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Sereri posted:

I can't reproduce this, sorry. I got my hands on a Samsung Tablet with Android 12 and it's working there.
I even went to Samsungs "Remote Test Lab" service and tested it on a S20FE. The second phone I used credits on even had internet :shepface:. The web search option showed up in the three-dot menu.
I'm not saying it's your fault but it seems like it's a "you" problem. Did you maybe do something special to your phone? Custom rom, root, whatever?
Maybe its just some stupid locale thing? Are you on English (US) or some moon language?
Thanks for taking a look!

en-AU. Completely stock Samsung OS, no rooting or other fuckery :(

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Latest update seems to have broken setting a different launcher icon. I had it set as the ghost and now it's the default icon and it won't change

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Daztek posted:

Latest update seems to have broken setting a different launcher icon. I had it set as the ghost and now it's the default icon and it won't change

You shoulda kept it OG Frog. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sliami
Apr 28, 2018

hi! i think i can see future emojis in this app... and nowhere else ?? 🫠🫧🥹🫴🫳🫵🫰🫡🫦😶‍🌫️< these. if you can't see them here's an img example:

i'm on android.

not a complaint. just interesting