Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Targeted and limited. Likely only previously sanctioned banks. So, again, not nuclear, limited and for my money, only symbolic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
EU showing signs of having a spine... What a time to be alive

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

Im guessing here but I imagine Germany didnt want to have their gas cut off.

I would imagine if Merkel was still in charge things would be different. Apparently germany is refusing to sell any arms to Ukraine as they feel its 'too late'.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

the popes toes posted:

Targeted and limited. Likely only previously sanctioned banks. So, again, not nuclear, limited and for my money, only symbolic

You aren’t understanding. Freezing the Central Banks ability to liquidate its assets is a thousand times more consequential than a SWIFT ban.

The entire Russian financial system is likely to collapse, people. Run on the banks, Great Depression stuff.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

ZombieLenin posted:

Holy poo poo, and it’s not the SWIFT ban I’m holy making GBS threads. If the United States follows suit, the Russian economy was just destroyed.

Putin is hosed.

Edit

I am concerned a little we will have hosed Putin like we hosed Japan when we embargoed oil in 1941.

US is mentioned as one of the countries in that tweet. The real question is what banks. It could be anything from a meaningless gesture to financial ruin.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

the popes toes posted:

no, they're also loving up the central bank , seizing individual assets, banning passport sales. This is big, even if maybe a few banks will still be able to operate through SWIFT. Nobody has said a thing about which banks they're targeting.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1497696413492334599?s=20&t=EAMsBd7lrduH-aPCstAQTQ

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ZombieLenin posted:

Holy poo poo, and it’s not the SWIFT ban I’m holy making GBS threads. If the United States follows suit, the Russian economy was just destroyed.

Putin is hosed.

Edit

I am concerned a little we will have hosed Putin like we hosed Japan when we embargoed oil in 1941.

Yeah, no. Putin isn't going anywhere.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ranbo das posted:

US is mentioned as one of the countries in that tweet. The real question is what banks. It could be anything from a meaningless gesture to financial ruin.

I mean if the freezing of central bank assets is the main drop, then it doesn't matter, does it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the popes toes posted:

They’re directly targeting 700bn USD war chest Putin has to prop Russian economy through this. This is targeted in the same way repeatedly being kicked in the balls is targeted.

Also sanctions against selling citizenships to oligarchs.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Oligarchs about to have to get creative

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

EU showing signs of having a spine... What a time to be alive

They limited the ban. This was them showing their spine is floppy.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

As I understand it Russia is relying on those central bank assets to insulate itself from western sanctions?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

You aren’t understanding. Freezing the Central Banks ability to liquidate its assets is a thousand times more consequential than a SWIFT ban.

The entire Russian financial system is likely to collapse, people. Run on the banks, Great Depression stuff.

Ah, no I didn't. Thanks.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

ZombieLenin posted:

The foreign assets were built up by Putin as a way to make it take longer for Russia to feel the effects of sanctions. If he can’t liquidate them it makes it harder to do things like pay for the war.

Or the welfare spending that maintains older Russians support

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

ZombieLenin posted:

Yea i have a feeling its gonna be the 90s all over again after this is over.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Cimber posted:

I would imagine if Merkel was still in charge things would be different. Apparently germany is refusing to sell any arms to Ukraine as they feel its 'too late'.

They seem to have changed their position

https://twitter.com/EuromaidanPR/status/1497698738122502157?t=ODJm-CzteJUOmXP1LxIAfA&s=19

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
For all its starring roles in propaganda, has the Azov Battalion even done anything? Are they even still an active formation?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tomberforce posted:

As I understand it Russia is relying on those central bank assets to insulate itself from western sanctions?

Yes. The game plan is that they have 663 or something billions in cash-like assets, and low debt exposure.

Well, they had them until now.

TheRat posted:

They limited the ban. This was them showing their spine is floppy.

They agreed to CB and the ban even in limited fashion. This is massive escalation to where they’re comfortable at being.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

This is like playing HOI4 with historical AI turned off.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cimber posted:

That is not true at all. The CDU is considerably softer on Russia than the Greens, who currently have the ministry of foreign affairs.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Every day Russia is losing tens of billions of dollars.

How long will this go on? How long will they spend?

Russia is literally a cod villain at this point. Just way worse.

Russian morale has been on a significant downturn even before the invasion started, looking at their day one objectives through the Periscope of what has happened so far shows that most of these troops were in no fighting shape. They were musteree by their commanders like the loving NKVD half sick half drunk and hungry.

I perceive the bridges and railways were seeing destroyed as the Ukrainian military sabotaging behind the Russian forces. Essentially trapping them. While the Russian military can airdrop supplies it's nothing like having Bridges and rail supplies coming in. So strangulation of fuel will stop The Invasion once again.

Ukraine needs to have one decisive victory to define the battlefield.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Flesnolk posted:

For all its starring roles in propaganda, has the Azov Battalion even done anything? Are they even still an active formation?

AFAIK they have been always positioned in Donbas, which has seen no substantial action despite being the flashpoint of this whole debacle.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

They’re an active formation of about 1000 people, yeah. If I recall correctly, they’re stationed in Mariupol’, and have unlikely seen much combat in the recent days.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

It's based in Mariupol/Odessa which haven't had much information coming out regarding Ukrainian military actions as the Kyiv area.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

TheRat posted:

Yeah, no. Putin isn't going anywhere.

People were sure there would be no invasion only a few days ago

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

steinrokkan posted:

I mean if the freezing of central bank assets is the main drop, then it doesn't matter, does it?

It does matter, but not in the way Freezing the Central bank does. Russia just lost the $620b in assets it needed to float the economy through this.

The Ruble is now completely isolated, there will be runs on the banks, money will have to be printed. You think the Ruble collapse was spectacular before? Foreign currency will be fought over, companies won’t be able to pay each other, this is now an unmitigated disaster for Russia.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Russian morale has been on a significant downturn even before the invasion started, looking at their day one objectives through the Periscope of what has happened so far shows that most of these troops were in no fighting shape. They were musteree by their commanders like the loving NKVD half sick half drunk and hungry.

I perceive the bridges and railways were seeing destroyed as the Ukrainian military sabotaging behind the Russian forces. Essentially trapping them. While the Russian military can airdrop supplies it's nothing like having Bridges and rail supplies coming in. So strangulation of fuel will stop The Invasion once again.

Are you planning on publishing these short stories you keep writing?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

I never thought in my wildest dreams that Putin's response to his fee-fees being hurt would be to turn Kyiv into Dresden

What a complete loving lunatic. Russia is committing a massive atrocity and should be considered a rogue state until his head is on a pike.

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 26, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

steinrokkan posted:

AFAIK they have been always positioned in Donbas, which has seen no substantial action despite being the flashpoint of this whole debacle.

How could it when it doesn’t have the famed Hostomel airport built on the site of Kyivan Rus’ coronations?!?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

It does matter, but not in the way Freezing the Central bank does. Russia just lost the $620b in assets it needed to float the economy through this.

The Ruble is now completely isolated, there will be runs on the banks, money will have to be printed. You think the Ruble collapse was spectacular before? Foreign currency will be fought over, companies won’t be able to pay each other, this is now an unmitigated disaster for Russia.

inshallah

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Cimber posted:

They just approved shipment of 1k ATMs and 500 Stinger AA missiles. Which is fairly impressive amount.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2022

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Dude, it’s day 3. We have limited information. I know it’s tempting to write the ending but we’re a long way from that.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-87-are-we-on-the-brink

This article does explore Russia’s wartime economy, for the curious.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Russia seems to have prepared for a big level of sanctions for years. In that case, have some more.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

How could it when it doesn’t have the famed Hostomel airport built on the site of Kyivan Rus’ coronations?!?

Putin is searching for the Four Rubies of the Rurik Crown which when combined will make the otherwise immortal Nazis of Ukraine vulnerable to sword attacks

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

They’re an active formation of about 1000 people, yeah. If I recall correctly, they’re stationed in Mariupol’, and have unlikely seen much combat in the recent days.

There was a rumor the other day that they just straight up hosed off immediately after the initial invasion and the leadership is in Poland or somewhere.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

BigglesSWE posted:

Are we falling into the same trap? When we hear of fierce resistance in Kiev, heavy losses among Russians, are we simply getting the (to us) positive gaps in a darker hole? Are the Russians truly hurting, or is it wishful thinking from the local and international press corp? I don't know. It's hard to know.

I am not really 100% buying that the Russians are stumbling badly narrative. 4 days into the invasion credible reports have Russians on the outskirts of Kyiv coming from their attack through the Chernobyl sector. We know the Ukrainians did blow one of the bridges over the Teteriv 2 days ago so them ending today's fighting on Kyiv's outskirts is a pace of advance that is equal to what the Americans managed in Iraqi Freedom. Baghdad took around 3 days of fighting to secure for the US Army and Kyiv is around the same size geographically so I am sure you are going to hear stories in the days to come about heroic Ukrainian resistance holding out for days when it is entirely possible the Russians are making good progress into the capital. The British MOD has speculated that other major Ukrainian cities in the East that were on their "day 1" objective lists are still not taken. This is only speculation on their part though. We have no idea whether the Russian advances in this area are merely to try and hold whatever Ukrainian forces in those sectors from retreating back to Kyiv to aid its defenses.

I have no doubt that Western arms are taking a toll on Russian vehicles and aircraft though. Whether these are just isolated incidents or not is hard to tell.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Telsa Cola posted:

They just approved shipment of 1k ATGMs and 500 Stinger AA missiles. Which is fairly impressive amount.

the one constant of every war is that everyone burns through fancy weapons way faster than anticipated. It's probably ten day's worth of materiel.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

the popes toes posted:

Ah, no I didn't. Thanks.

It’s not that the SWIFT ban is meaningless. It’s just the way it seems to me, the SWIFT ban now is to Russia like being annoyed that the crew woke you up during the middle of an awesome dream you were having to tell you the Titanic is about to sink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Upgrade posted:

Dude, it’s day 3. We have limited information. I know it’s tempting to write the ending but we’re a long way from that.

In time-honored SA fashion, you write the ending you want first and then you desperately work back from there

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 26, 2022