Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
PDX actually made herculean reveal itself at 6 years old. I wouldn’t mind if the other inheritable traits did so as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Raising your kids and marrying off family sure does get tedious when you’re a Norseman ruling for 70 years with three concubines. I’m also not using all my house head hooks/golden obligations since there’s so goddamn many of them.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
The game could benefit from being able to set rules to automate some of the tedium :(

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

PancakeTransmission posted:

Yeah, I think there's a lot of people that have a hard-on for numbers. But a lot should be obscured. There's no way that I'd know, down to the man, how many levies a rival king could raise. Maybe if I was really good friends, or perhaps spent time at their court, or had spymasters getting that info etc. Same with gold level of foreign folks - maybe it can be descriptive or a range until you learn more.

Also, children should not be born and revealed to be a Herculean Genius Handsome Superbaby at 0 years old.

Not only does it make the eugenics lovers excited to cull the weak from birth, it doesn't make sense. IMO, level 1 of those traits should reveal themselves at 5 years old, 2nd level at 10, 3rd at 15.

I'm not sure if this would be easy to mod - but also unfortunately I prefer playing Ironman :(

Hmmm.. I've done a bit of modding and it should't be too difficult. You have an on_born trigger that you could attach your base event to

Have the first event detect the presence of non-obvious genetic traits and store their values on the character. Then queue up the follow up events to give the increasing levels at 5 10 15 or whatever.

I haven't done anything exactly like this, but from what I've done before it seems relatively simple. Probably a pain in the rear end to test though. And then, since it's a Rule that no mod does exactly what you want and no more, you also have it give all babies the Ugly trait until they're ~4 because all babies are ugly

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So easy to mod that it has in fact already been done, yeah.

The game could absolutely use more obfuscation of strategic info like childhood genetic traits/foreign military strength etc but I doubt it would be popular and there's probably some conceptual tension with the whole streamlining/UX push for this iteration of the series.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

alcaras posted:

The game could benefit from being able to set rules to automate some of the tedium :(

I was really hoping the Court Tutor job would automatically educate kids, but you still have to manually assign them. I feel like that's a huge oversight; if we want to manually choose a guardian we should be able to, but otherwise the Court Tutor automatically educates everyone (with no cap on the number of wards).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

binge crotching posted:

I was really hoping the Court Tutor job would automatically educate kids, but you still have to manually assign them. I feel like that's a huge oversight; if we want to manually choose a guardian we should be able to, but otherwise the Court Tutor automatically educates everyone (with no cap on the number of wards).

I mean, this is essentially what the Tutor does, just in a weird way?

There are two reasons to educate kids: to improve their education trait or to influence their personality. The Court Tutor gives a direct improvement to every kid in the court's education score when they come of age (the exact amount of the improvement is rolled individually per kid, weighted by the tutor's aptitude). Granted, I haven't done the math on how it compares to minmaxing guardians (since guardians work by adding to the base 60% yearly chance of gaining education score, there's probably a complex equation one could concoct to compare the two), but it is absolutely viable to just get a good Court Tutor and stop worrying about the kids whose personalities you don't actually care about.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Finally got to a point where I feel like I’ve mastered the basics and working on some mid to higher level play. Took Bohemia and made a new empire consisting of like 7 kingdoms so far. I think I just wiped the last remnants of the HRE off the map.

Recently had my 82 year old, smart and healthy ruler die. He was loved by like everyone and built it up enough to establish the empire. Of course his 52 year old drunkard son took over and didn’t even make it five years before drinking himself to death. Moved onto the his 22 year old son, so hopefully this guy can stick around for a while.

Have some really pissed of vassals, but luckily I have an army nearly 50k strong, so no one can form a strong enough faction.

Only issue now is trying to find ways to fight bigger wars. Going to war with Poland to claim a couple counties is more tedious than fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, Ck3's not a very good 'paint the map' game, the player takes no time at all to spiral out of control. Find a new objective that seems fun, such as screwing around with culture or religion or court languages. Make an empire of dwarfs. Or whatever. If at any point you've run out of things to do except make your empire wider, it's time to retire that game and start somewhere new and interesting.

-------------------

My own question: It's time to ditch Norse culture, and I'm kinda looking at hybridizing Arabic/Aldalusian since it's so developed and there's probably a gold mine somewhere down there I can steal before getting cultural acceptance up. If my objective was to beeline maxed out inspirations with a dynasty of nerds, should I be pruning my domain or realm or anything? The baseline is average cultural development, right, and all my vassals are gonna swap to it with lovely development scores? I've mucked with religions a lot but never cultures.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Serephina posted:

Yea, Ck3's not a very good 'paint the map' game, the player takes no time at all to spiral out of control. Find a new objective that seems fun, such as screwing around with culture or religion or court languages. Make an empire of dwarfs. Or whatever. If at any point you've run out of things to do except make your empire wider, it's time to retire that game and start somewhere new and interesting.

-------------------

My own question: It's time to ditch Norse culture, and I'm kinda looking at hybridizing Arabic/Aldalusian since it's so developed and there's probably a gold mine somewhere down there I can steal before getting cultural acceptance up. If my objective was to beeline maxed out inspirations with a dynasty of nerds, should I be pruning my domain or realm or anything? The baseline is average cultural development, right, and all my vassals are gonna swap to it with lovely development scores? I've mucked with religions a lot but never cultures.

Well said.

----

A trick I've been using is that if the counties adjacent to your capital are not inside your realm, when you diverge/hybridize it'll only culture convert your capital. Makes it really easy to create a one-county culture to dev-stack in

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my experience vassals will always leave when opinion of you is within 80-100

But as I said, it might take a month or two so you have to be early

Not to resurrect FactionChat but uh... this is the most perplexing thing, because I've seen a few people just calmly say vassals leave factions in a few months when they like you, and over three games I've never seen them do it; I make a point of, if I can, spiking opinion up to that region as soon as a dangerous faction forms, and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen anyone leave the faction after doing that. At this point I'm starting to wonder if me having the extreme stability gamerule on is somehow making *factions* more stable too because of how constant the "Vassals never leave factions" problem is with me vs. most other people seeing them cheerfully bail on factions within a few months.

edit: For you specifically, are you putting opinion up to those levels with cash gifts or something else? It also might be that I've been trying to pull vassals out of dangerous factions by getting their opinion that high with cold hard cash, and if they're not supposed to be *actually* valuing the opinion gains from that as much as more permanent things that would also explain my experience versus people like yours!

Mukaikubo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 26, 2022

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Doing a mongol run, but the seljuks just completely shattered and when I get to Persia I'm loving DREADING having to fight a bajillion small duchies.

E: Also I like the house system but it makes me sad when cultures that use dynastic names like.... use the house system. Like, I'll look at Persia and be like "Oh are the Seljuks gone?" when I see a different name but no, it's just a different Seljuk house that won a claimant war or something.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I wish there was a way to disable that by title. I keep landing my family and they're all called the Tulunid Emirate now. Like ok, which of the 12 are we talking about here...

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Oh no, oh no.

I was fooling around with the culture UI browsing stuff and I accidentally created a new total rubbish culture on my Ironman game, then hit save&exit. Is there any way to find a previous autosave and undo this mess?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Serephina posted:

Oh no, oh no.

I was fooling around with the culture UI browsing stuff and I accidentally created a new total rubbish culture on my Ironman game, then hit save&exit. Is there any way to find a previous autosave and undo this mess?

Sorry but that is kind of the whole point of ironman.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mukaikubo posted:

Not to resurrect FactionChat but uh... this is the most perplexing thing, because I've seen a few people just calmly say vassals leave factions in a few months when they like you, and over three games I've never seen them do it; I make a point of, if I can, spiking opinion up to that region as soon as a dangerous faction forms, and I'm not sure I've ever actually seen anyone leave the faction after doing that. At this point I'm starting to wonder if me having the extreme stability gamerule on is somehow making *factions* more stable too because of how constant the "Vassals never leave factions" problem is with me vs. most other people seeing them cheerfully bail on factions within a few months.

edit: For you specifically, are you putting opinion up to those levels with cash gifts or something else? It also might be that I've been trying to pull vassals out of dangerous factions by getting their opinion that high with cold hard cash, and if they're not supposed to be *actually* valuing the opinion gains from that as much as more permanent things that would also explain my experience versus people like yours!

Cash, titles, sway. Mostly cash, I think. I use gifts a lot. With Thoughtful, its really OP

I dont know, Ive seen a lot of people commenting they have that problem, but is really not happening to me. Not after the DLC, not before. Whenever they get to 80-100 relations with me, they will leave any factions they might be in (and the way I got their opinion up there does not seems to matter) . Sometimes immediately, most times after a month or two

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 27, 2022

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Serephina posted:

Oh no, oh no.

So this is how American culture got started.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Not to drum up a bunch of political poo poo, but shouldn't the islamic societies still have slaves in this time period? I feel like that should have some impact on income/manpower for the turks at least.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

I just started playing this game yesterday and before I knew it, 5 hours had disappeared, and I'm still in the tutorial mission.

I used Find Secrets and have some Weak Hooks on the council members in a nearby Petty Kindgom. Is there anything I can do to another lord's council members that's fun/will further my cause?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

Oh no, oh no.

Well you can't undo creating it now. You can move your capital to a province with your old culture and swap back with Embrace Local Culture however.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Samadhi posted:

I just started playing this game yesterday and before I knew it, 5 hours had disappeared, and I'm still in the tutorial mission.

I used Find Secrets and have some Weak Hooks on the council members in a nearby Petty Kindgom. Is there anything I can do to another lord's council members that's fun/will further my cause?

If you're scheming to murder their liege, you can force them to be come supporters.

And there's an intrigue perk that allows you to ask for money when you have a hook on someone.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's a Stewardship perk but yea

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Well you can't undo creating it now. You can move your capital to a province with your old culture and swap back with Embrace Local Culture however.

Turns out you can't! Can't change culture more than once per lifetime, voluntarily. So yea I've been trucking on slowly spending gratuitous amounts of prestige trying to undo the damage, one tenet at a time. Still unsure if I'll ever be able to get Norse aesthetics back :(

---

Another Q: What's the big deal about court languages, and what generates grandeur from them? The popups ingame tell me nothing but that Norse is a bad language and that there's a cooldown on changing it, but I have no idea why it's so bad and what the repercussions are for changing it on my vassals/populace. As someone else said, the modern tooltip-style of documentation is rubbush, you basically have to play the game with a browser window open at all times, and it's still not enough.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Not to drum up a bunch of political poo poo, but shouldn't the islamic societies still have slaves in this time period? I feel like that should have some impact on income/manpower for the turks at least.

Historically, there should be some slaves at basically every place in the map and lots of slaves in the Islamic areas. Venice and the Vikings should have slave trading be a big part of their economies. But, they’ve never wanted it to be that kind of game, and I agree personally. Way too dark for the fun medieval rpg with map elements

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Serephina posted:

Another Q: What's the big deal about court languages, and what generates grandeur from them? The popups ingame tell me nothing but that Norse is a bad language and that there's a cooldown on changing it, but I have no idea why it's so bad and what the repercussions are for changing it on my vassals/populace. As someone else said, the modern tooltip-style of documentation is rubbush, you basically have to play the game with a browser window open at all times, and it's still not enough.
It's just a Grandeur bonus for using the language that all the cool kids are using. If you mouse over a court language that does give a Grandeur bonus it'll tell you why.

Best Friends posted:

Historically, there should be some slaves at basically every place in the map and lots of slaves in the Islamic areas. Venice and the Vikings should have slave trading be a big part of their economies. But, they’ve never wanted it to be that kind of game, and I agree personally. Way too dark for the fun medieval rpg with map elements

Yeah I think the place the game really gets into trouble with lack of slaves is the Islamic practice if importing soldiers (ie with no connection to local rivals) who later topple and replace the local political powers. Like the Tulinids in the 867 start have just done this (technically it happened in 868 but whatever), but it's impossible for the same thing to happen in game. But in terms of things that need attention it's way down the list. :smith:

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I've always thought that adding Ghilman and poo poo in the game would do a lot to make the late-game when you're a huge empire really interesting. Like... relying on slave-soldiers can make you really militarily powerful and counteract the need to appease clan vassals but you also have to keep them happy in your court or else they'll try to overthrow you.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Behold, Lingua France achieved through weaponized border gore:

Left everything on default settings except with Historical Mogyer Migration and Strict De Jure requirements in case I needed to ditch an Empire title somewhere along the line. Honestly wasn't too bad. Started as the Tulunids, spend the first 50 years doing all the normal stuff, hardest part was just getting the Innovation that allows title revocation honestly. Picked up By The Sword, which is extremely effective for Muslim characters in particular since you have access to both Hajj and regular pilgrimages; with the first Strategy perk and the second Warfare dynastic legacy you can knock out Kingdom level Holy Wars for 300 piety a piece which is trivial. The Staunch Traditionalists tradition is also great for this achievement since it effectively prevents your vassals from going local or forming hybrids, but I didn't have it until I was well into India and maybe 80% done.

I went west into France and then around through Central Europe first but I think this is actually a mistake, Crusades just feed you prestige and piety so you really want as many of them as possible, so a strong Catholic world is probably better? Ultimately didn't matter much. As I went I would just hand out titles to a random noble of my culture, then try and hand out counties to these randoms such that none of them really held a complete duchy, just to make sure it took them as long as possible to form Kingdoms; as you can see the Europeans never really pulled together enough to reform them, India was a bit trickier because there's lots of small Kingdoms around, but I only had to deal with about 3 repeat offenders). Once you no longer require adjacency for the purposes of Holy Wars, just grant them independence and move on. Be sure to make sure the Kingdom titles are destroyed by the game before you do, otherwise just usurp and destroy manually.

Some Courts did just adopt Arabic, notably all the Persians and Bedouins which was rad, but not too many. And shout out to my Umayyad bros who rampaged all over Iberia without me having to lift a finger.

In the screenshots here at the end you can see I've ripped into the Arabian Empire, but I didn't do this until about 10 years ago, mostly on a roleplaying whim when I got an event heresy that allowed me to adopt Azraqism, which has the sweet sweet Warmonger trait. For 95% of the run my only personal holdings were the Kingdom of Egypt, the duchy of Cairo, and the duchy of Al-Said (with all the wonderful Flood Plain terrain along the Nile) plus the county of Cagliari for a few extra gold/month. I handled succession by just revoking Al-Said instantly each time and eating the tyranny. If you were at all worried about doing this I'd say it'd probably start as the Roman Emperor (instant access to Primogeniture and Armored Cavalry is just so damned good) and then consider converting to an Eastern Faith to get access to Warmonger to make overrunning Europe easier. Not sure if you'd need an alternative Piety farming method but probably not. You get plenty from Pilgrimaging, and sponsoring every Inspiration you see and taking the Piety options. You might miss the Clan conquest CBs, but you can just Fabricate and it should be fine.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Feb 28, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

I started a war against the Biz when Philipos was in rule.

Than a faction replaces him with Zenon II; than Zenon II was outed by a faction that puts Philipos back in power; than somehow Zenon II gets arrested in the war (maybe he was still a knight or commander), but in spite of that, another faction puts Zenon II back in power again and I immediately get 100% and win the war, since he is already in my prison. All that in 3 years

There is definetly something wrong with claimant factions

edit: looking at the title history of any AI controlled empire or big kingdom in my game, is very hard to find a ruler that ruled for more than 10 years. Most are outed within an year or two. "installed by faction demand" all over the place

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Feb 28, 2022

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah, there's a bug with claimant factions that makes the AI way more likely to join them. There's a modifier that's supposed to increase the chance of joining if they're a dejure vassal of the claimant, but instead it increases if they're a dejure vassal of the holder. Which is most of the time?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is that what it is? Oof.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mental note, make sure your player heir hasn't converted to some minor faith that only 5% of your empire follows. I managed to white peace a liberty civil war, and win the religious civil war a year of succession. Made everyone convert as a condition of leaving prison, so I guess I'm working on converting most of my empire now. Good news is I can wage Holy Wars against my catholic neighbors.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
So I already found out what happens to your court artifacts when you change primary titles (or go up a tier) - they stay with that title - but does anyone know what happens if you destroy that title?

Do the artifacts come along with your new primary?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

scaterry posted:

Yeah, there's a bug with claimant factions that makes the AI way more likely to join them. There's a modifier that's supposed to increase the chance of joining if they're a dejure vassal of the claimant, but instead it increases if they're a dejure vassal of the holder. Which is most of the time?

Im not sure I understand.

It seems to me that they would be dejure vassals of both? I mean, if someone has a claim to the kingdom of France, any dejure vassal of the current king of France would also be a be a dejure vassal of the title he is claiming

But if you are talking of them being dejure vassals of the claimant currently, than it seems impossible because if they are vassals of the claimant, they cant be direct vassals of the current holder and so cant join any factions against him/her

edit: what it seems to me its needed is some opinion bonus between the guy who was put in power and the people who supported the faction who put him there in the first place. It seems to me vassals are installing guys and than right after starting factions against the same guy they just instaled

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 28, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PancakeTransmission posted:

Do the artifacts come along with your new primary?

They do, yea

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im not sure I understand.

It seems to me that they would be dejure vassals of both? I mean, if someone has a claim to the kingdom of France, any dejure vassal of the current king of France would also be a be a dejure vassal of the title he is claiming

But if you are talking of them being dejure vassals of the claimant currently, than it seems impossible because if they are vassals of the claimant, they cant be direct vassals of the current holder and so cant join any factions against him/her

edit: what it seems to me its needed is some opinion bonus between the guy who was put in power and the people who supported the faction who put him there in the first place. It seems to me vassals are installing guys and than right after starting factions against the same guy they just instaled

Ask Paradox this, lol. The code below:

code:
# If I'm de jure of the Claimant, I want to support them
	 modifier = {
		add = 100
		is_rightful_liege_of_trigger = {
			VASSAL = root
			LIEGE = $FACTION_TARGET$
		}
	}

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm now seeing what others where saying about trash artifact spam, it's all over the place and the UI to deal with the Court ones is rubbish. Otoh they have gotten 'leave beseigers behind' down perfectly now, it's great.

Weird observation of my past Norse game: The realm is far too stable, factions aren't forming. Normally if I do something dumb like hold a grand Blot I'll have peasant uprisings for centuries, but this time I refrained from hitting the button and now it just clicked that I've not seen anything but a temporary single-member peasant rabble that quickly dissipates. Likewise I don't think I've seen a single vassal join any faction, despite having a bazillion claimants. They're all single-county chumps which are wildly happy, and while I may have installed a few of them that was ages ago so that bonus has long since dissipated. I should go over it with a fine-tooth comb to see if it's my Renown or something but it's totally unlike every drat vanilla/Catholic game where there's always some grumpy schmucks stirring stuff up, even if they're less effective than in ck2.

My best guess is that it's the dumb Norse favoritism that gives them a kabillion special troops every time you hit any button, maybe factions are insta-dissipating since I have 9k special MAA lying about and their faction power is too low?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah the artifacts are not in great shape. You can very quickly end up with hundreds of the things, most of them useless. Occasionally people demand them, and there's no real indication as to whether it's one of your good ones you have equipped, or some useless junk you randomly acquired in a siege somewhere. Sometimes people challenge you to duels over them, and it doesn't even tell you what artifact you're dueling over. I would love to give the useless ones out to people, but you can't actually gift them from the artifact inventory screens, you have to select the character first, then re-select the artifact from a tiny and unsortable list which also doesn't tell you which ones you have equipped.

And like the empty holdings at game start, it's bizarre how the courts start out as mostly clean slates. I'd expect the big courts (Romans, Carolingians, Abbasids, etc.) to start with a bunch of cool stuff, but they mostly don't, just having their dynasty banners and 1-2 extra items. What's more confusing to me is that it seems to be semi-random? Sometimes they start with those and sometimes they don't. The one consistent exception is the Romans, who always have the Image of Edessa in their court in 867, despite the fact that it wasn't recovered from Edessa for another 80 years. It's like no attempt was made to make it historically coherent.

Serephina posted:

Weird observation of my past Norse game: The realm is far too stable, factions aren't forming. Normally if I do something dumb like hold a grand Blot I'll have peasant uprisings for centuries, but this time I refrained from hitting the button and now it just clicked that I've not seen anything but a temporary single-member peasant rabble that quickly dissipates. Likewise I don't think I've seen a single vassal join any faction, despite having a bazillion claimants. They're all single-county chumps which are wildly happy, and while I may have installed a few of them that was ages ago so that bonus has long since dissipated. I should go over it with a fine-tooth comb to see if it's my Renown or something but it's totally unlike every drat vanilla/Catholic game where there's always some grumpy schmucks stirring stuff up, even if they're less effective than in ck2.

My best guess is that it's the dumb Norse favoritism that gives them a kabillion special troops every time you hit any button, maybe factions are insta-dissipating since I have 9k special MAA lying about and their faction power is too low?

Tribals are weird like that, since their ability to muster power is based on Fame, but since the AI is so passive it has very few opportunities to acquire fame. So once you win one big defensive/raid battle your vassals just vanish into insignificance for the rest of your reign.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

PittTheElder posted:

They do, yea
The reason I asked is because in my last game, I had two kingdoms and an empire, moved the second one to my primary, and on succession, half the court artifacts (the ones created when the first kingdom was my top title) went with the original kingdom to my brother. Not sure what would have happened had I destroyed the old kingdom title.

As I'm in Ironman, I can't muck around (short of making a new non-ironman game and throwing a heap of cheats to replicate the scenario) to test.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

In my first game (non-tutorial) and when my first heir took over, I wasn't paying too close attention to HIS succession and ended up with him at age 50 with no Primary Heir in my household. Somehow my primary heir was in another house, I am guessing because I married him off in a Matrlineal marriage and (unrelated?) his wife died. Being Irish Insular and therefore able to take a second wife, I did so and she gave me a son. I quickly imprisoned and tortured my primary heir and his health degraded to Poor causing him to shortly thereafter die in prison, leaving my succession all all titles to my new son.

10/10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

PittTheElder posted:

Tribals are weird like that, since their ability to muster power is based on Fame, but since the AI is so passive it has very few opportunities to acquire fame. So once you win one big defensive/raid battle your vassals just vanish into insignificance for the rest of your reign.

Worth noting that I feudalized ages ago, and as per my above posting managed to turbofuck my culture. Feudal or no, the vassals are just far too content. I'm gonna ditch that game =/

Lessons learnt in that run:
-Getting uber-knights online is very easy. No eugenics or duchy buildings required, just one cultural tradition (the one that gives +100% effectiveness) and the 3 Gallant lifestyle perks . I had stacks of 3k pure levies+knights beating the crap out of 4k AI stacks with about 1k MAA in them. Operating at about 350% with very ordinanry prowess scores. Totally effortless and can be set up during the tribal era.
-Do not gently caress with your culture by accident, it's basically irreversible. Culture traditions can only be changed once every 50 years, and you can only merge/diverge every 100. Compared to religion, which only takes about one generation to totally rewrite from scratch if you so desire.
-I need to stop playing Norse, they are totally OP and boring as hell past the first generation.