Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dumb question,

How are Western nations like Germany, France, United States, etc. able to supply Ukraine with anything at this point? Wouldn't Russia's simply cut off supplies at the border between Poland for example?

So far Russia hasn’t had balls to bomb truck convoys from Poland, and possibly other neighbouring EU states - Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia.

We don’t know what routes the supplies are taking, besides a photo op of a truck convoy bringing ammunition from Poland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dumb question,

How are Western nations like Germany, France, United States, etc. able to supply Ukraine with anything at this point? Wouldn't Russia's simply cut off supplies at the border between Poland for example?

Poland borders Ukraine directly and it’s in a portion of the country difficult for Russians to reach. When the polish border is inaccessible it means the entire country has fallen completely.

Poland has an enormous amount of historical bad blood with Russia so any opportunity to mess with them is irresistible.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The Ukrainian government have been building licensed TB2 Turkish drones for a while now but I haven't heard anything about them in this war. Are they saving them for when things get very dire?

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

ZombieLenin posted:

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497702921521311746?s=21

Oh please be true. If the Army starts to mutiny Putin really is done.

These could be conscripts that Putin started loopholing into being contract soldiers while they were still in their one year of non-combat conscription. There were unconfirmed reports from parents in Russia whose conscripted 18-year-olds, only a few months into their forced labor assignment, being given a gun and sent to Ukraine. Their 1-year conscription was being shortened into a 2-month professional combat contract instead.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 26, 2022

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dumb question,

Long-term that is an option for Russia, with tanks being seen on trains in Brest (Belarus) but at this point they have not attacked western Ukraine.

In other news, Starlink is now up and running in Ukraine

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1497701484003213317

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah Merkel would have absolutely done nothing in this situation and it's pretty ridiculous to pretend otherwise. She was a major part of the inertia in Germany foreign policy that everyone is have to overcome.

Her former ministers have cried crocodile tears about having failed in stopping Russia, but yeah, lol, they would be useless if they were stil in power.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Antigravitas posted:

No. The CDU actively dismantled the then world-leading German solar and wind industry, destroying tens of thousands of jobs in the sector and letting China take the lead instead.

Gas has not replaced nuclear energy. Gas is critical for heating. And yes, the CDU (and SPD, let's not let them off the hook) have made no plans for replacing it at all.
I truly hope with the new government that Germany will go back to leading the way in renewable energy.
You're right that gas is needed for heating, but that's always been the case, hasn't changed much in the past decades. Something had to replace the closed nuclear plants (and coal, they did also reduce coal mining), and it is partly gas, partly wind, and a bit of solar:

Not a huge bump in gas usage, but still a growth and definitely no downward trend at all.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dumb question,

They cannot. Ukrainian forces control all Ukraine’s western borders, and the Russians failed spectacularly to establish air superiority.

There is currently air parity, or equally contested airspace over Ukraine so Russia cannot interdict those borders that way either.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Despera posted:

Can all the "they got to kyiv soo fast!" people look at a map.

TulliusCicero posted:

For the last time:

Kyiv is extremely close to Belarus

This would be like the US invading Toronto, yeah it would not take long to get there, no poo poo

You should look at OIF's maps. The rate of advance is comparable what the US accomplished in Iraq which is around 50 kilometers per day. Depending on what roads they are using the Russians are doing 30-35 with a water obstacle which the Ukrainians blew the only bridge in the area over.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GaussianCopula posted:

Long-term that is an option for Russia, with tanks being seen on trains in Brest (Belarus) but at this point they have not attacked western Ukraine.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1497701484003213317

Oh poo poo, now Americans are waging war on Ukraine as well

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Antigravitas posted:

The Panzerfaust 3 is not guided. It's "gimmick" is that it's an RPG you can fire without worrying about backblast.
Having fired one out of a bunker, I would say that you can do it, but it isn't too much fun. Also it kicks up a lot of dust, so you better get out of that room quickly.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/1497703466352926722

This is all so bizzaro.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So around 2 hours ago there were a bunch of tweets warning about a large yolo barrage of artillery against Kyiv within the hour.

Has anything happened?

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Concerned Citizen posted:

china doesn't really have a choice there. they have to comply with us sanctions lest they themselves are sanctioned.

I'm not sure. China has their own alternative to SWIFT prepared. Oil isn't embargoed, or sanctioned.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Elon Musk deploys an army of Tesla to uncontrollably swerve into random vehicles, hoping some of them are Russian tanks

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

ZombieLenin posted:

They cannot. Ukrainian forces control all Ukraine’s western borders, and the Russians failed spectacularly to establish air superiority.

There is currently air parity, or equally contested airspace over Ukraine so Russia cannot interdict those borders that way either.

Fair. Good explanations, that makes much more sense now.

So... What's Putin's strategy now? Slowly surround and attack Kiev?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Dumb question,

Ukraine is huge and Russia is really only invading the eastern edges so far. They are not anywhere near the Polish border and if they flew aircraft that close they would likely be shot at by NATO AA.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

MikeC posted:

I am not really 100% buying that the Russians are stumbling badly narrative. 4 days into the invasion credible reports have Russians on the outskirts of Kyiv coming from their attack through the Chernobyl sector. We know the Ukrainians did blow one of the bridges over the Teteriv 2 days ago so them ending today's fighting on Kyiv's outskirts is a pace of advance that is equal to what the Americans managed in Iraqi Freedom. Baghdad took around 3 days of fighting to secure for the US Army and Kyiv is around the same size geographically so I am sure you are going to hear stories in the days to come about heroic Ukrainian resistance holding out for days when it is entirely possible the Russians are making good progress into the capital. The British MOD has speculated that other major Ukrainian cities in the East that were on their "day 1" objective lists are still not taken. This is only speculation on their part though. We have no idea whether the Russian advances in this area are merely to try and hold whatever Ukrainian forces in those sectors from retreating back to Kyiv to aid its defenses.

I have no doubt that Western arms are taking a toll on Russian vehicles and aircraft though. Whether these are just isolated incidents or not is hard to tell.

Russia _reaching_ cities is not the same as Russia _capturing_ cities, which is their goal. As far as anyone can tell, Russia has only captured on major city in the south. They've been in the outskirts of Kyiv for 2 days and not made any meaningful progress towards the city center itself since, suffering casualties on the way.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Boris Galerkin posted:

So around 2 hours ago there were a bunch of tweets warning about a large yolo barrage of artillery against Kyiv within the hour.

Has anything happened?
nope, unless it was a very small artillery barrage

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Budzilla posted:

The Ukrainian government have been building licensed TB2 Turkish drones for a while now but I haven't heard anything about them in this war. Are they saving them for when things get very dire?

We have no way to tell. Ukrainian army is maintaining solid opsec, and osint channels are respectfully not reporting it either, so the best way we can tell if TB2 are used is by someone miraculously being able to distinguish tanks blown up by TB2 from tanks blown up by dozens of other weapons Ukrainians can use against tanks.

I can’t believe I’m saying this. Thank you, Elon Musk.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

MikeC posted:

You should look at OIF's maps. The rate of advance is comparable what the US accomplished in Iraq which is around 50 kilometers per day. Depending on what roads they are using the Russians are doing 30-35 with a water obstacle which the Ukrainians blew the only bridge in the area over.

The difference seems to be that the Americans kept their supply lines protected.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GaussianCopula posted:

The idea of Elon Musk trying to actually help out in a crisis is so foreign that I can't actually believe this to be true. Hopefully it is for Ukrainians sake

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Popete posted:

Ukraine is huge and Russia is really only invading the eastern edges so far. They are not anywhere near the Polish border and if they flew aircraft that close they would likely be shot at by NATO AA.

NATO would not engage Russian aircraft flying in non-NATO airspace.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The distance between eastern border and western border ukrain is the difference between Vienna and the Atlantic Ocean. Do you think you could fly a bomber that far when your dumbass generals didn’t disable all the anti air?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the popes toes posted:

I'm not sure. China has their own alternative to SWIFT prepared. Oil isn't embargoed, or sanctioned.

Again, this means Russian alternative is to become China's client. This is a giant failure, an existential loss. Not a win that proves European ssanctions are pointles.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Yeah unsurprising. I fully expect that China is quietly pissed off with Putin for causing a ruckus and unifying NATO and are more than happy to let the Russian economy collapse and have another basket case they can "save" with foreign investment.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CuddleCryptid posted:

The idea of Elon Musk trying to actually help out in a crisis is so foreign that I can't actually believe this to be true. Hopefully it is for Ukrainians sake

Elon Musk demonstrates a coffin for Ukrainian soldiers that can fit an iPod

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Boris Johnson and Elon musk doing good things? End times indeed

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

For the first time there are visible explosions on the top left cam of this livestream in Kyiv:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZebYm-nenY

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

I just realized the forums have a Putin smilie (:hitler:), but no Ukraine smilies. Does anyone have the Photoshop skills to turn out a Saint Javelin or a crying sunflower against the Ukrainian flag?

Y'know, I was thinking about this exact thing this morning

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

cinci zoo sniper posted:

So far Russia hasn’t had balls to bomb truck convoys from Poland, and possibly other neighbouring EU states - Hungary, Romania, and Slovakia.

We don’t know what routes the supplies are taking, besides a photo op of a truck convoy bringing ammunition from Poland.

They are being much smarter about this :jihad:

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Popete posted:

For fucks sake. NATO aa is not going to shoot over a border at a Russian plane.

Even when border intrusions happen people tend to give the intruding plane a whooole lot of warning and leeway before they fire on it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

EvilHawk posted:

NATO would not engage Russian aircraft flying in non-NATO airspace.

If it was real close to the Polish border and they were hitting Polish convoys it's possible they might engage defensively. I'm not saying this is going to happen just that I don't think Russia is going to risk escalating things by engaging convoys along the Polish border.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Boris Johnson and Elon musk doing good things? End times indeed

It!s the tube for cave kids all over again. He's going to call Zelenskyi a pedo soon.

Captain Stalin
May 11, 2004

Have no fear, the Captain is here!
Honest question, what's going right for Russia right now?

Yes they've put a number of cities in the front lines, but it seems like slow going. Even if it is only the first week of fighting.

They're internationally isolated, and the west is starting to break some previous diplomatic taboos to ship Ukraine more material and damage the Russian economy.

Domestically people are risking a lot to protest, though I don't know what that all means.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Popete posted:

If it was real close to the Polish border and they were hitting Polish convoys it's possible they might engage defensively.

They would only engage if they're threatening Poland itself.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Malloc Voidstar posted:

nope, unless it was a very small artillery barrage

For the last two nights in a row things really kicked off at 4am local. So check back in about 3.5 hours.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah unsurprising. I fully expect that China is quietly pissed off with Putin for causing a ruckus and unifying NATO and are more than happy to let the Russian economy collapse and have another basket case they can "save" with foreign investment.

Absolutely, this reenactment of my CK2 playthrough modded with fantasy races has done more for NATO and Transatlanticism on the whole than the involved countries have themselves achieved in last couple of decades.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Samopsa posted:

I truly hope with the new government that Germany will go back to leading the way in renewable energy.
You're right that gas is needed for heating, but that's always been the case, hasn't changed much in the past decades. Something had to replace the closed nuclear plants (and coal, they did also reduce coal mining), and it is partly gas, partly wind, and a bit of solar:

Not a huge bump in gas usage, but still a growth and definitely no downward trend at all.

That's all energy, here's electricity (a year outdated, i don't have better numbers yet):

Gas has moved a bit, but you can very clearly see rising total electricity demand. (Brown and dark Grey are coal, magenta (?) is nuclear, yellow is gas, blue is oil, green is green, light grey is rest)

The real huge problem is that to get off gas for heating, the government needs to get house owners and landlords to do something.

As you can probably guess, that is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

punishedkissinger posted:

honestly, rt.com

Any Russian telegram channels if that platform is not blocked there?