Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

One tweet from an analyst was basically like "Putin sounds like he spent the entire pandemic reading crazy books." And considering how accurate the intelligence community got this whole thing, yeesh.
If Trump infected Putin with brain worms, that would be a massive lol. Provided we all don't die. Or even if.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

stealie72 posted:

If Trump infected Putin with brain worms, that would be a massive lol. Provided we all don't die. Or even if.

They shared a burger in Britain while planning the election, I’m sure.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They shared a shepherd's pie boiled in mint sauce in Britain while planning the election, I’m sure.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I think we're basically on the same page about them based on our shared use of quotation marks around "institute".

Yeah sorry if I came in hot, like you said we're basically on the same page here. I'm just generally pissed off about this entire situation, and watching people/groups like that try to pretend this is actually America's fault and not you know, Russia's, drives me up the loving wall.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

A Kadyrowite general will usually probably be a huge rear end in a top hat so this seems like good news

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Some suggestions I've seen haven't been sane and likely to provoke a shooting war, such as NATO establishing a no-fly zone or sending carriers into the Black Sea, or pressing a button to admit Ukraine into NATO.

Whenever I've seen anything like this get spouted by people it is the best way to immediately know that they are unknowledgeable and unserious about anything military or FP related

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Looks like Russia is getting booted from SWIFT

edit: Partially, at least?

https://twitter.com/SalehaMohsin/status/1497694500847767555

Nuclear Tourist fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 26, 2022

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck :pwn:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
“Some Russian banks”, also most banks have already cut Russia off, Swift or not.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Something a little more lighthearted:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

has the ukraine invasion displaced brexit as the biggest self-own globally yet?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

It's been iffy with Northern Ireland but Putin's not one to settle for second place.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Pissing off the entire world while getting ~3,000 of your own soldiers killed in an invasion less than three days old when said entire world figured you'd just tap-dance into the end zone and spike the ball?

Yeah, I'd say so.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Thanks!

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Russian soldiers probably get treated better as Ukraine POWs than they do as Russian soldiers.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Ukraine's winning the poo poo out of the PR war with moves like this.

Speaking of moves:

https://twitter.com/NataliaAntonova/status/1497382464213241857

drat, getcha some.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Jesus CNN just showed a video of Ukrainians lighting up a russian truck from an apartment building. Did not see that coming but after mostly seeing the reverse, I can’t really feel bad.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

psydude posted:

Russian casualties so far, per Ukraine MoD (so take with a grain of salt, but they seem to have been fairly accurate so far):

https://twitter.com/MattMcBradley/status/1497672326606950409

The Russians have already lost almost 1.5 times as many troops in the first 3 days as the US lost during 20 years of war in Afghanistan.

Because I'm bored and moderately drunk off some Wodka sold to me by a nice, elderly Polish gentleman at the local Polnischer Markt, I did some basic math.

Russia deployed about 100 Battalion Tactical Groups, each with purportedly around 10 tanks and 40 infantry fighting vehicles each. If the numbers above are correct, that means Russia has already lost 10 percent of its tanks and over 13% of its armored vehicles that were initially committed to the war.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/deirezzore/status/1497655524032196612?s=21

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

boop the snoot posted:

Russian soldiers probably get treated better as Ukraine POWs than they do as Russian soldiers.

Do they get bread 3 times a day?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There's still no official confirmation of the Ukrainians bagging Il-76s, fwiw.

Anyways, have a partial SWIFT ban for certain Russian banks, and most importantly, a seizure of the Russian central bank's assets that they were going to ride out the sanctions with

https://twitter.com/vonderleyen/status/1497695982020145156?s=20&t=U5y0T7kXm9RaYMICfegcwg

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

They may have lost two more tonight, though I haven't seen a reliable source yet.

https://twitter.com/AsaadHannaa/status/1497699263119302660

Edit: Ukrainian news is backing it up.

https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1497700694429773825?t=GaeT4a_gEDRyzi7P2AEi4g&s=19

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Feb 26, 2022

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

#ukranschluss

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

psydude posted:

Because I'm bored and moderately drunk off some Wodka sold to me by a nice, elderly Polish gentleman at the local Polnischer Markt, I did some basic math.

Russia deployed about 100 Battalion Tactical Groups, each with purportedly around 10 tanks and 40 infantry fighting vehicles each. If the numbers above are correct, that means Russia has already lost 10 percent of its tanks and over 13% of its armored vehicles that were initially committed to the war.

Ukraine's numbers look less obviously ridiculous than the Armenian ones used to but you almost certainly still have to adjust them down by some fraction, we just have no idea what that fraction might be.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

What is Swift exactly?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What would "Winning" even look like for Russia at this point? Let's say they manage to capture Kiev, draw and quarter Zelensky, and install their own puppet regime. Do they expect everyone to just go "Welp" and return to business as usual under their new Russian overlords? When a sizeable chunk of the country has spent howeverlong awash with small arms and thirsting for Russian blood?

e:

aphid_licker posted:

Ukraine's numbers look less obviously ridiculous than the Armenian ones used to but you almost certainly still have to adjust them down by some fraction, we just have no idea what that fraction might be.

Unfortunately the UK MoD hasn't released a third party scorecard for the last two days, like they did on the first day, so it's hard to say. There might be some double counting or propaganda inflation, but some of the numbers (especially the aircraft) appear to be confirmed by independent footage.

psydude fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Feb 26, 2022

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I can only imagine that right now they're trying to scheme up a way to weasel out of this fuckup. Meanwhile, let their invasion "plan" continue so that they can claim to have some sort of bargaining position if/when they come to the table.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

psydude posted:

What would "Winning" even look like for Russia at this point? Let's say they manage to capture Kiev, draw and quarter Zelensky, and install their own puppet regime. Do they expect everyone to just go "Welp" and return to business as usual under their new Russian overlords? When a sizeable chunk of the country has spent howeverlong awash with small arms and thirsting for Russian blood?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Naked Bear posted:

I can only imagine that right now they're trying to scheme up a way to weasel out of this fuckup. Meanwhile, let their invasion "plan" continue so that they can claim to have some sort of bargaining position if/when they come to the table.

I'm guessing it goes something like claiming they succeeded in protecting the LPR and DPR and calling it a day. Except (and I'm going full wishful thinking here) if the Ukrainians have the Russians on their heels, there's no reason why they wouldn't move to retake both of those (along with Crimea), particularly since it sounds like the separatists have taken substantial losses themselves.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

That Works posted:

What is Swift exactly?

It's a Belgian LLC that serves as the global standard intermediary for transactions between banks in different countries.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
https://twitter.com/UA_BotTwitte/status/1497702062058086407?s=20&t=U-UHq_-5wN1eIRV7FoEMuQ

Wombot
Sep 11, 2001

Prevailing wisdom currently is those are anti-air detritus, not silk parachutes.

Regarding the US response, and touching a bit on "I thought Russia was god-tier at trolling/disinfo": The US's dramatic shift in posture of immediately declassifying and disseminating high-quality intelligence on Russian operations prior to the invasion took the wind out of those sails. All the attempts to false flag and invent cassus belli out of thin air were immediately revealed to be lies. This is not how the US has operated previously, and like so many other things, it seems like the Russians didn't know how to react so they just kept doing what they originally planned.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

That Works posted:

What is Swift exactly?

My understanding is that it’s the DNS registry but for moving money instead of pictures of a pig pooping on his balks.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Nuclear Tourist posted:

It's a Belgian LLC that serves as the global standard intermediary for transactions between banks in different countries.

Thanks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I got put in Twitter jail for tweeting at Putin that he should “eat poo poo and die”. :(

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497614458973306888?t=D6lC7wAtRXqAS5tIFjsxkA&s=19

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Wombot posted:

Prevailing wisdom currently is those are anti-air detritus, not silk parachutes.

Regarding the US response, and touching a bit on "I thought Russia was god-tier at trolling/disinfo": The US's dramatic shift in posture of immediately declassifying and disseminating high-quality intelligence on Russian operations prior to the invasion took the wind out of those sails. All the attempts to false flag and invent cassus belli out of thin air were immediately revealed to be lies. This is not how the US has operated previously, and like so many other things, it seems like the Russians didn't know how to react so they just kept doing what they originally planned.

That definitely makes more sense.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

boop the snoot posted:

That was true for many German POWs in the US, and if they were being guarded by Black US soldiers it may have been a unique case of enlisted POWs living better than their guards as they could be served in restaurants in the Deep South, and if they were naturalized post-war were not likely to be murdered for trying to vote.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got put in Twitter jail for tweeting at Putin that he should “eat poo poo and die”. :(

:patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

question: Do European countries still do the different rail gauge thing to prevent other countries from using their own rolling stock in a war scenario or was that largely abandoned after WW1?