Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

One brand with a million customizable options on a handful of models: confusing, bad

Several brands, each filling a different niche, selling customized versions of a handful of models: easy to understand, good

Idgi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

https://jalopnik.com/gasgas-is-finally-working-on-street-legal-motorcycles-1848591098

Why would you sell 3 different brand bikes that are the same bike??

Jello/Campbell's Soup strategy, crowd everyone else out by spamming minor variations of the same idea to saturate the market.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

My new tires arrived. I haven't put them on yet. The sidewall feels super stiff. I'm not sure I will even be able to! My friend's friend has a shop, though, so I am hoping I can use his mounting tool instead of trying to lever them on by hand. The tread is hilariously soft. Even at room temperature I can put a dent into it with my fingernail, barely pressing.

Bridgestone RS10 (not mounted)

My last tires, Dunlop GPR-300 (mounted)

Both profiles are much more triangular, although more noticeable on the rear, I guess since it's wider. They also look quite a bit taller, but based on the specs I can find online, the difference is only about 3mm. Maybe just a visual illusion due to the pointy profile.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Even if shut my shop down I'm keeping my tire machine, I'd never go back to doing it by hand. It's enough of a pain in the rear end with the machine

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I have changed one (1) set of tires myself and now I really, really want to put a tire machine in my garage.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Since I own a scooter and a Harley, the "do I wave at scooters" debate is already over for me. I'm also fine with waving at trikes since best case those are just old riders with bad hips. But yesterday I saw a dude in full gear on one of those single wheel deals going a good 40 mph. Do we wave at them?

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Wave at everyone y’all. There is enough horrible poo poo going on in the world.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
Wave at scooters, wave at cyclists, wave at kids, wave at dogs, wave at cool old cars, wave at the lady on the corner screaming about something

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dog Case posted:

wave at the lady on the corner screaming about something

With any luck she'll get really mad and it'll be hilarious

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dog Case posted:

Wave at scooters, wave at cyclists, wave at kids, wave at dogs, wave at cool old cars, wave at the lady on the corner screaming about something

Always wave at kids because they almost universally think motorcycles are the coolest thing in the world.

Their parents not so much lol.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

The first time I got to rev my bike as I coasted past some kids who were staring in wonder was pretty great, yeah.

It wasn’t really a serious question and the only thing I’m annoyed about is that he was cruising that fast in a bicycle lane.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Geekboy posted:

Since I own a scooter and a Harley, the "do I wave at scooters" debate is already over for me. I'm also fine with waving at trikes since best case those are just old riders with bad hips. But yesterday I saw a dude in full gear on one of those single wheel deals going a good 40 mph. Do we wave at them?

Shouldn't wave at him because he might wave back and lose his balance

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

opengl128 posted:

Always wave at kids because they almost universally think motorcycles are the coolest thing in the world.

Their parents not so much lol.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

The first time I got to rev my bike as I coasted past some kids who were staring in wonder was pretty great, yeah.

It wasn’t really a serious question and the only thing I’m annoyed about is that he was cruising that fast in a bicycle lane.

Lol wait til you wheelie by them and they freak out :D

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Everything but giant Harley boomers in the south.

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

last time we had some real nice weather and I was out for a ride I drove the opposite direction past some grown-rear end man on the tiniest minibike, his knees were up to his shoulders and I swear he could not have gotten that thing up past 20 mph

he waved, I waved back and he loved it

I'll wave at everyone but pigs, ACAB

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I only stopped waving at scooter riders with no gear because they seemed confused every time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
I do sometimes wave at scooter riders but they never wave back. I don't think they get it. In order to awaken The Wave you have to have ridden a proper motorcycle.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I started waving back from a 50cc no name Chinese scooter. Maybe they could just tell I was soon to be one of them?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Swiss riders don't wave, they do a weird peace type sign or maybe just point at you. Odd country.

Anyway don't wave to scooters c'mon rules are rules

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never once had a scooter wave back to me. gently caress it not real riders anyway. :colbert:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Russian Bear posted:

Wave at everyone y’all. There is enough horrible poo poo going on in the world.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my cousin was following a motorcycle and noticed the wave

he said wow that guy waved at every motorcycle and then asked me if i wave that much and im like yeah pretty much its gets a bit ridiculous in the summer sometimes i just start doing a nod

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
when I get a big line of motorcycles coming the other way I do a finger gun and shoot each one. pew, pew, pew

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Swiss riders don't wave, they do a weird peace type sign or maybe just point at you. Odd country.

Anyway don't wave to scooters c'mon rules are rules

It's me, i'm the Japanese school girl giving you the peace sign.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Russian Bear posted:

It's me, i'm the Japanese school girl giving you the peace sign.

The cat ears helmet really sells it.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

numberoneposter posted:

my cousin was following a motorcycle and noticed the wave

he said wow that guy waved at every motorcycle and then asked me if i wave that much and im like yeah pretty much its gets a bit ridiculous in the summer sometimes i just start doing a nod

In the UK we just nod all the time, I assume because we're on the left so harder to see a wave.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

He's just giving the keeper a friendly wave!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
What race was it where one of the drivers flipped the bird and the commentator was like, "He's saying he's going to be number one! :imunfunny:"

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Between driving a Jeep and riding bieks I just wave at everything and let god sort it out

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Jazzzzz posted:

Between driving a Jeep and riding bieks I just wave at everything and let god sort it out

This is my suffering, as well.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I wave at everyone on two wheels, and the only groups that consistently don't wave back are young kids on sportbikes wearing no gear except for a helmet, and scooter riders. I get waves back from basically every other demographic, and when I don't I just assume it's because they didn't see me until it was too late, cause I know that's happened to me number of times. There's also the awkward "we're stopped at different sides of an intersection, when is the correct time to wave/acknowledge the other rider?" scenario but then the light turns green and I remember I have to clutch so I can't wave anyway. I'm guessing a wheelie off the line is the correct response to that situation but I'm not quite there yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wave at Can-Am riders

It may not be a "motorcycle" but they're out there risking grievous bodily injury like the rest of us and it's supporting Canadian industry too

(You may have feelings about how much support Bombardier already gets and I totally understand that)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
you all disgust me, CA needs to return to its purist heritage.

motorcycles only

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Razzled posted:

you all disgust me, CA needs to return to its purist heritage.

motorcycles only

Is a grom a motorcycle?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Phy posted:

I wave at Can-Am riders

It may not be a "motorcycle" but they're out there risking grievous bodily injury like the rest of us and it's supporting Canadian industry too

(You may have feelings about how much support Bombardier already gets and I totally understand that)

I don't wave at Can Am riders because I don't want them to take their hands off the bars when they're near me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Is a grom a motorcycle?

Yes.

Is the Yamaha Niken?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If it has two wheels in tandem configuration and a motor, it's a motorcycle. Yes, e-bikes and Bird scooters are motorcycles.

Hoverboards, tricycles (including the Niken and the MP3), Segways, and quadbikes are not motorcycles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

If it has two wheels in tandem configuration and a motor, it's a motorcycle. Yes, e-bikes and Bird scooters are motorcycles.

Hoverboards, tricycles (including the Niken and the MP3), Segways, and quadbikes are not motorcycles.

By that definition motorcycles are not motorcycles because motorcycles don’t have motors, they have engines.

Electric motorcycles have motors!