Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like three times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I found a neat bug. If you equip a magicite on Gau and he leaps on an enemy in the Veldt, you can equip that magicite on another party member. When he comes back, he'll still have the magicite equipped, so two characters can have the same one equipped, assuming one of them is Gau.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAEFALFvIoA

Looking at this video, there are quite a few changes in gameplay between each version of FFV.

Which one did the Fiesta use?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sesq posted:

I found a neat bug. If you equip a magicite on Gau and he leaps on an enemy in the Veldt, you can equip that magicite on another party member. When he comes back, he'll still have the magicite equipped, so two characters can have the same one equipped, assuming one of them is Gau.

It's also nice that you can just reequip espers if people arent in your party. I feel like in the SNES version youd have to throw them in your party and unequip them.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

Looking at this video, there are quite a few changes in gameplay between each version of FFV.

There is no "official Fiesta version". People just use whatever version they have/is most convenient for them. So no, not everyone is playing on an even playing field, but it's a single-player experience for charity so it doesn't really matter.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

The Fiesta let’s you use any version, though I think people largely use the SNES and GBA ports.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

It's also nice that you can just reequip espers if people arent in your party. I feel like in the SNES version youd have to throw them in your party and unequip them.

The guy in the airship that strips the party of equipment does this automatically

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

The guy in the airship that strips the party of equipment does this automatically

Yea couldn't remember, makes sense that he would.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

did setzer always have an instawipe slot smh

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
he did, but the odds of getting it are pretty low. I think it's not even possible in most situations where you use the command, at least in the original versions

also noticed a bunch of largely harmless bugs so far:

- the rich guy's house in South Figaro has exactly one room which has the SF empire occupation music, even before the empire invades. seems to correct itself in the WoR

- if you use auto battle seems to override targeting limitations in some situations. example: at the start of a fight where your party is surrounded and in the previous regular battle you used an attack which targets the enemy party, it will still hit all targets in the surrounded fight, even though it's supposed to hit just one side. only through autobattle though.

- right after chupon joined ultros in the airship battle, I had cyan use flurry and the first hit of flurry hit both targets, though each subsequent hit only damaged one.

- flurry also seems to have some oddities with regards to cyan's row status, which I don't think existed in the original. specifically if you have cyan in the back row, the first hit of flurry will ignore his row and do full damage, but the other three hits will have the damage reduced. I'm not 100% but I don't think it worked this way in the original.

- did sketch always use MP when it used enemy attacks that cost MP? it definitely does now and I don't really remember how it used to be.

- gau's rages don't seem to work properly with auto battle and he just seems to do a physical attack if you haven't already selected a rage in that fight.

considering all of this is likely to get patched out it's been a pretty good port.

dracula vladdy AF fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 27, 2022

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mordiceius posted:

Chaos will basically say “I am eternal”

But Jack's music is too loud and he hears "I am in turtles." And Jack spends the game stomping some turts likes he's super mario.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Equally true observations on FF6, having nearly wrapped the Terra/Locke/Sabin adventures:

-World of Balance is super linear in a way that the art and music nonetheless make pleasant
-I didn't check the time on my save file until 10 hours had already passed

Also, this is the first playthrough I've noticed Sabin's route includes a lot of fights with zero experience points, no doubt to keep him and Cyan balanced by the time they catch up with the whole gang.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I just wanna say it's cool that, even though the remasters removed the old ports from Steam's store, you can still buy them from Square's site and get a activation key. I just figured they would be replaced and gone forever.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

dracula vladdy AF posted:

- did sketch always use MP when it used enemy attacks that cost MP? it definitely does now and I don't really remember how it used to be.

Nope, sketch should never cost MP.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

NikkolasKing posted:

I just wanna say it's cool that, even though the remasters removed the old ports from Steam's store, you can still buy them from Square's site and get a activation key. I just figured they would be replaced and gone forever.

they're abominations that should be mertoned from existence and I absolutely hate that 90% of the FFVI images I search for are the worst corruption of it now

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!
I am noticing this bug that locks up the game. Sometimes when I'm autobattling while Mog is dancing, another party member will perform the dance action, and then it'll lock. I'm sure it'll be something that gets patched later, but until then, it's something to be aware of. I'd be a lot more steamed about it if there weren't copious autosaves.

Picnic Lunch
May 1, 2006

Damn tailgaters
Biscuit Hider

Sesq posted:

I am noticing this bug that locks up the game. Sometimes when I'm autobattling while Mog is dancing, another party member will perform the dance action, and then it'll lock. I'm sure it'll be something that gets patched later, but until then, it's something to be aware of. I'd be a lot more steamed about it if there weren't copious autosaves.

Yea there is some weirdness with autobattle right now. In one fight my Cyan started spamming cat scratch after Gau started raging.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Sesq posted:

PneumonicBook posted:

Man, just like FF5 I am running into some pretty awful bugs on FF6PR. The counter from Black Belt will occasionally eat someones ATB bar (that was in FF5 as well), and occasionally on auto battle if Gau or Mog are using a dance/rage at the same time someone else's ATB is full the OTHER character will use the dance or rage, and normally that just locks up the game.

Was funny seeing Terra dance though.

On the plus side, putting Setzer on auto makes Slots almost always roll something.

Yea I ran into that. Auto battle was weird in FF5 as well. I feel like sometimes it just eats peoples turns also, it's super weird.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I just bet a behemoth suit at the colosseum to get a snow scarf. the enemy is an outsider which iirc is normally fought in kefka's tower. fight starts, the outsider uses an instant kill move on itself?? free snow scarf anyway

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was bored/curious and checked, and that isn’t quite what’s supposed to happen in the colosseum since enemies just use their Confused/Control skills there, but the normal ones can actually just suicide for some reason if the fight lasts six turns.

Final Fantasy VI is weird.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ok autobattle is unusable with setzer gotten the party wipe three times tonight

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

ok autobattle is unusable with setzer gotten the party wipe three times tonight

I've also had this happen this evening and I only really used autobattle with slots a handful of times. obviously it's anecdotal on my part but it makes me wonder how exactly autobattle chooses which slots combination to use

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Having crazy thoughts about how FF6 balance would work out if you just went in and replaced every spell/skill animation with a melee hit, so speed/cast times actually did something in either direction and battles didn't devolve into "rotate in speed order".

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mandoric posted:

Having crazy thoughts about how FF6 balance would work out if you just went in and replaced every spell/skill animation with a melee hit, so speed/cast times actually did something in either direction and battles didn't devolve into "rotate in speed order".

Eh? FF6 doesn't have any cast time mechanic, other than Cyan.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2763667907

Followed this guide to use ReShade for better scanlines than the included ones.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Eh? FF6 doesn't have any cast time mechanic, other than Cyan.
It may not be as variable as say Tactics, but spells and character abilities definitely take longer to fire off than a basic attack or item use. If someone's in desperate need of healing I usually use a potion rather than risk casting a spell, even if the potion heals for less than the spell would or it causes a later healing spell to over-heal.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
And on the flipside, CT during another entity's animation is "free", which produces a lot of weirdness in the battle system. It's why Ultima chaining is so drat broken, character #2's Ultima charges completely while character #1's Ultima animation plays so things just degenerate to round robin (while any speed above getting lapped is thrown away because orders input during an animation have to "charge" until it's done and anyone faster than being lapped gets a go.)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I'm starting up FFV again, finally committed to getting one of the few remaining FFs I haven't completed under my belt.

My longest run was up to when you get to the second world or something? I don't really remember much that happens in the story up to that point or how we got there. I remember the hardest fight so far in the game had just happened against some machine in the sky or something? I remember watching slowbeef's fiesta run up to that point and that fight is I guess kinda infamous for a new player.

But yeah, I just wanted something light on plot and heavy on gameplay for right now and that seems to be FFV's main selling point going by all the praise I've heard in here over the years.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I'm playing FF1PR, doing F/Th/RM/WM thanks to someone's huge effortpost about RM proficiency up thread, but I have a couple questions:

-Is party order broken? All I can seem to do with it is make a different guy be the leader on the overworld but no one will actually switch places.
-Do status effects actually work now? I can't remember if Sleep is supposed to be useless or OP....

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
It’s weird playing FF6 again as an adult and actually knowing how stuff works. Pumping Sabin’s magic stat for his blitzes was something I’d have never considered as a kid.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

For a replay of 6 I'll probably install a mod which replaces the esper leveling with some other system. I don't like min-maxing in a game that doesn't need it. For the level 50 trophy I had everyone go solo in a forest and tell them to kill dinosaurs.

5 was more elegant in that your stats never increased, but your level played a factor in damage calculation.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Nemo2342 posted:

It’s weird playing FF6 again as an adult and actually knowing how stuff works. Pumping Sabin’s magic stat for his blitzes was something I’d have never considered as a kid.

Holy crap really...

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy crap really...

Same with Flash and Bio Blaster for Edgar although that's not nearly as useful. Setzers slot effects are increased by his magic Stat, etc.

Earrings and Hero Rings are super useful for stuff like this.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Commander Keene posted:

It may not be as variable as say Tactics, but spells and character abilities definitely take longer to fire off than a basic attack or item use. If someone's in desperate need of healing I usually use a potion rather than risk casting a spell, even if the potion heals for less than the spell would or it causes a later healing spell to over-heal.

Well it took some digging, as its not documented anywhere besides some code disassemblies, but magic takes twice as long to execute as fight or item. This is inherent to the command, its not like ff4 where stronger spells take longer to cast.

can you even embed urls in quote headers posted:

(Data - Time to wait after entering a command until character actually
performs it (iow, how long they spend in their ready stance). This
value * 256 is compared to their $3AB4 counter. I'm really not sure
how this applies to enemies.)

C2/067B: 10 (Fight)
C2/067C: 10 (Item)
C2/067D: 20 (Magic)
C2/067E: 00 (Morph)
C2/067F: 00 (Revert)
C2/0680: 10 (Steal)
C2/0681: 10 (Capture)
C2/0682: 10 (SwdTech)
C2/0683: 10 (Throw)
C2/0684: 10 (Tools)
C2/0685: 10 (Blitz)
C2/0686: 10 (Runic)
C2/0687: 20 (Lore)
C2/0688: 10 (Sketch)
C2/0689: 10 (Control)
C2/068A: 10 (Slot)
C2/068B: 10 (Rage)
C2/068C: 10 (Leap)
C2/068D: 10 (Mimic)
C2/068E: 10 (Dance)
C2/068F: 10 (Row)
C2/0690: 10 (Def.)
C2/0691: E0 (Jump)
C2/0692: 20 (X-Magic)
C2/0693: 10 (GP Rain)
C2/0694: 10 (Summon)
C2/0695: 20 (Health)
C2/0696: 20 (Shock)
C2/0697: 10 (Possess)
C2/0698: 10 (MagiTek)
C2/0699: 00
C2/069A: 00

from here

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy crap really...

Almost, but not quite, everything is a magic based attack. The Beyond Chaos (ff6 randomizer) community has a spreadsheet here for the properties of every attack.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 27, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pumping your magic stat seems to be an easy thing to stumble on considering the obvious strategy of "make the overpowered magic spells more overpowered."

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

zedprime posted:

Pumping your magic stat seems to be an easy thing to stumble on considering the obvious strategy of "make the overpowered magic spells more overpowered."

Tbh if I had a character with an actual good command like Blitz and was a new player id focus on making blitzes even better, and after playing five final fantasies with monks assume they were fueled by Strength until I invested +20 worth of esper boosts and only had Raging Fist/Meteor Suplex do more damage.

Really I kinda get why they’re fueled by magic (to make them do the “intended” amount of damage for that point in the game since physical/magic skills work significantly differently formula-wise) but then just use the magic formula for those skills, copy/paste Strength in there, and nerf the base damage so it’s more intuitive.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Last Celebration posted:

Really I kinda get why they’re fueled by magic (to make them do the “intended” amount of damage for that point in the game since physical/magic skills work significantly differently formula-wise) but then just use the magic formula for those skills, copy/paste Strength in there, and nerf the base damage so it’s more intuitive.

And judging by the track record for Final Fantasy bugs, this would probably cause Blitzes to deal single digit damage the entire game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What were all the major exploits for the 1.1 version of VII?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Wolfsheim posted:

I'm playing FF1PR, doing F/Th/RM/WM thanks to someone's huge effortpost about RM proficiency up thread, but I have a couple questions:

-Is party order broken? All I can seem to do with it is make a different guy be the leader on the overworld but no one will actually switch places.
-Do status effects actually work now? I can't remember if Sleep is supposed to be useless or OP....

L/R taps are cosmetic. There's a reorder command in the menu, 5th option; do note however that enemy targeting is roll 1d8, hit slot 1 on 1-4, 2 on 5-6, 3 on 7, and 4 on 8, so you've probably got what you want for most of the game already as RDM is a source of heals you don't want to get inadvertently oneshot and only gets ahead of THF defensively once, by 3 points between Crescent Lake and class change. (It is nice in the marsh cave to be able to move whoever gets chunked out of the line of fire, though.)

I'd assume the Sleep bug was fixed, but even bugged it kinda worked. The problem with it is just that everything dies so fast that death is the best CC; its value ends up being purely as the first AoE spell you get, for dealing with large groups of very weak enemies before you can -ra or better them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

When I played FF6 as a kid, I didn’t know that your stats didn’t increase as you leveled up. It’s not mentioned in the manual and is the exception to the rule established by other RPGs.

So it was easy to assume that “+1 Magic” wasn’t something worth micromanaging for, and why would you put something like Earrings on Sabin when you could put on something with a huge boost to Strength, or something cool like the Offering?

Now I know though, so Sabin is rocking a Hero Ring, Earring, and getting that +1 every level just to make sure his aoe clears the screen. It also has the side effect of making him a formidable caster once he gets access to more spells.