Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vernii posted:

start up the plans for an insurgency and then quietly bug out of the country to run a CIA-backed govt in exile in Poland or whatever.

I think, just based on some conjecture about types of arms provided, ideologically extreme paramilitaries getting them before the Army, how US souces are describing the price Russian will pay vs Ukraine’s hopeful tone,

I think, at least partly, this may have been planned not as Brave Little Belgium holding out, but as Syria/Iraq/Afghanistan, and nobody told Zelensky.

Could be wrong, just saying, they gave them NLAWs and not radios.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"2nd in command killed and an entire battalion of tanks destroyed!"

Dude calmly swapping a flag without looking likes gone through any combat recently

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gotta love people's ingenuity!
https://twitter.com/kate_day/status/1497648173568958470?s=20&t=WiCznbJb5kp0JAxVc1WSYg

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

So it turns out that the US Army Press’ only recent monograph vis a vis THEE Ukraine was… Survival in the Russian Occupied Zone: Command and Organization in Resistance Underground Operations from October.

To be honest it’s making the hair on the back of my neck stick up because it sure seems like Zelensky was baited into doing what the US wanted.

i think he got boxed in by his own lack of an actual power base

he tried to negotiate with the russians first, but it fell apart since he couldn't enforce his own end of the ceasefire. since then the russians don't seem to have taken him very seriously. in that case it makes a lot of sense to lay your chips with NATO, since they're the only institution strong enough to guarantee against further encroachment by the russians. NATO strings him along, reckoning that it can't really lose: either the russians react with force, which proves that the russians are big and scary and that NATO is totally needed, or they don't, in which case you've got a very well placed and totally subservient prospective member you can get to do almost anything

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Kill All Cops posted:

so you think Ukraine will just get into NATO and immediately war on russia happens, and Putin's actions in taking the preemptive step is correct?

no that doesn’t sound correct either

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Frosted Flake posted:

So it turns out that the US Army Press’ only recent monograph vis a vis THEE Ukraine was… Survival in the Russian Occupied Zone: Command and Organization in Resistance Underground Operations from October.

To be honest it’s making the hair on the back of my neck stick up because it sure seems like Zelensky was baited into doing what the US wanted.

Lol the entire thing was set up to be a quagmire boondoggle Vietnam afghanistan for putin the whole time. Neoliberalism is real loving cool, just the best. Endanger the lives of 44 million people just to own your posting enemies.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Wow, President Yanukovych (again)!

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
https://twitter.com/YourAnonTV/status/1497678663046905863

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Frosted Flake, make this make sense for me:

https://fxtwitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1497485623225200640

Why is this Russian tank just sitting alone on the road? Shouldn't it be in a company with at least four other vehicles, at minimum? Did they leave it behind to continue their advance?

That is not a combat vehicle but a logistics vehicle (MT-LB) so wherever it is the frontline combat troops would already be far ahead

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Frosted Flake posted:

Tbf, it didn't take any sort of insight to see that Ukraine was headed in this direction for a while. That said...might have been nice to have told them earlier that they were very, very, very MUCH on their own.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

I hope the kreosan boys make it out ok. this war is gonna give them a whole new palette of dangerous abandoned high voltage toys to play with

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

lol

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

makes sense. Anonymous does this to Saudi stations a lot to broadcast news about Yemen.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Epic Win: These Ukrainians Are Executing People Who Mispronounce A Word

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Majorian posted:

Tbf, it didn't take any sort of insight to see that Ukraine was headed in this direction for a while. That said...might have been nice to have told them earlier that they were very, very, very MUCH on their own.

The cia probably told the fascist militias as they were delivering the lethal aid the past couple of months, to be fair.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

If partition is Russia's plan for Ukraine (ala Georgia) then lengthy occupation seems less likely. Russian friendly areas get their own state and the remaining ends up sufficiently weak to be less of a threat. I doubt Russia has plans to integrate Ukraine entirely into Russia as a republic or whatever.

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol the entire thing was set up to be a quagmire boondoggle Vietnam afghanistan for putin the whole time. Neoliberalism is real loving cool, just the best. Endanger the lives of 44 million people just to own your posting enemies.

This is exactly why a decisive Russian victory is the best possible outcome. If things drag on past a couple of weeks, then strategically it looks like the West gets what it wants

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

This certainly doesn't inspire an image of a bunch of people running around demanding the other say palyanitsa while pointing rifles at each other.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"2nd in command killed and an entire battalion of tanks destroyed!"

Dude calmly swapping a flag without looking likes gone through any combat recently

That specific video is old

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kill All Cops posted:

ukraine is the underdog that will be utterly annihilated by the grand might of the russian army, and simultaneously the anti-Russian government is a threat to Russia's existence

who backs the anti-russian government? lmao exactly shut up bitch

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

I would simply pronounce the shibboleth correctly

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

On CNN"s ticker thing:

"The defenders of the small Ukrainian island of Zmiinyi in the Black Sea may still be alive, according to a statement released on Saturday by the State Border Guard Service of Ukraine (SBGSU).

"We [have a] strong belief that all Ukrainian defenders of Zmiinyi (Snake) Island may be alive,” the statement said."

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Judakel posted:

who backs the anti-russian government? lmao exactly shut up bitch

the ukranian people as decided in the democratic elections?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What if, and hear me out on this one, what if the UN did something?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

robot roll call posted:

Epic Win: These Ukrainians Are Executing People Who Mispronounce A Word

My granddad nearly got shot in Italy because the sentries were paranoid about infiltrators and he couldn't remember who won the 1943 World Series.

He ended up yelling, "You dumb fucks do you know any redheaded Germans?!" And it worked.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Asproigerosis posted:

doing something violates the UN charter

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Atrocious Joe posted:

I am calling on Raid: Shadow Legends to suspend operations in Russia and stop advertising with Russian influencers

No, no please let them take it

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Kill All Cops posted:

the ukranian people as decided in the democratic elections?

shut up idiot

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

lol

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Frosted Flake posted:

Deep in our hearts, we all know the true villain was America all along. Was there ever truly any doubt?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Le Saboteur posted:

I don't really see what the end goal is for Russia at this point. They in all likelihood are not equipped for a long occupation in a country the size of Ukraine. So it's either replace or pacify the Zelensky government into a puppet state and then gently caress off and let the cycle started in 2014 start again. All eventualities seem terrible here.

the only objective that makes sense is to capture the government, destroy or capture any military equipment, and force some terms of surrender that involve a ban on re-militarization, and then leave

but putin really could be aiming for objectives that don't make sense

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Crusader posted:

if you're in the ukranian ministry of defence, what are your real options here? the eastern forces are pinned and almost encircled from crimea, the kyiv front can be reinforced in short order (?), there may be a new line of advance in the west from belarus to stop additional lethal aid... so, do you just already start to plan for and begin to execute a bloody insurgency phase?

Jesus christ, and we're the supposedly bloodthirsty ones...

Crusader posted:

absolutely; i was assuming that surrender was not being considered a viable option by the ukrainians yet i guess

Hmm, okay.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Majorian posted:

In which case they would sign Minsk II. Do you see what I mean? Nobody would choose “protracted insurgency” over “sign ceasefire” all else being equal. If the Ukrainians knew that all of the net benefit would be to the US/EU/NATO at the price they have paid in just 3 days, I don’t think they would do it.

If they had been clearly told what their fate was expected to be, a ceasefire would have been worth it. So, this is where either Ukrainian domestic politics or western manoeuvring come in. Something tipped the scales, or their perception of the stakes.

Maybe people are right and Zelensky just hosed up or was cornered domestically, but his western advisors were planning on a contingency I think would have been unacceptable to him.

Coincidentally, his Heroic stand in Kiev, which the western press is congratulating him on, if not encouraging, means his control over Lviv and the arms flowing in from Poland - weapons for insurgency, not conventional war btw - is limited. Which is troubling as well. It’s hard to say how much real authority - not symbolic heroics - he is able to exert.

Not great.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:33 on Feb 27, 2022

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

FuzzySlippers posted:

If partition is Russia's plan for Ukraine (ala Georgia) then lengthy occupation seems less likely. Russian friendly areas get their own state and the remaining ends up sufficiently weak to be less of a threat. I doubt Russia has plans to integrate Ukraine entirely into Russia as a republic or whatever.

yea. an eternal 'border dispute' and a buffer state all in one. poo poo state of affairs but about the best outcome all things considered.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Judakel posted:

shut up idiot

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

what that guy says at the end of the shibboleth video is amazing

quote:

If we'll be killed it would be great, because we'll be killed in a holy war. It's not a local fight, it's really a glorious war. If we survive, it would be loving great! So I don't see any downsides, only gains! Glory to Ukraine!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

psycho with a gun posted:

They didn't need to contort, this thread has always been lusting for genocide.

Yes.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

Asproigerosis posted:

Did we ever hear back on that epic legal win the Ukrainians were doing in the UN to remove Russia from the Security Council because they weren't the USSR?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
As a veteran of many map games, my theorem is that putins goal is probably to land grab the donbas and destabilize and cripple the military capability of the rest of Ukraine for decades so they are a nonthreat and soft for future land grabs. Come in, wreck the poo poo out of everything, then leave and boom now you've gone from a potential nato member on your border to a war torn desolate hellscape buffer zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

the only objective that makes sense is to capture the government, destroy or capture any military equipment, and force some terms of surrender that involve a ban on re-militarization, and then leave

but putin really could be aiming for objectives that don't make sense

KitConstantine posted:

Here's the Russian take on events.

Click through the quoted tweet to get to the article, its loving wild.

https://twitter.com/olgatokariuk/status/1497720524885082113?t=ys8e93e9KAzUprUOZKojVQ&s=19

To be explicit, it's a loving manifesto.

"Vladimir Putin has assumed, without a drop of exaggeration, a historic responsibility by deciding not to leave the solution of the Ukrainian question to future generations."

I would recommend people read it.