Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Thought everyone was posting about Embrace of the Vampire for a few moments before I noticed my mistake and wondered if you had all lost your minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
If I could be certain that the transfer on the new disc was equal to or greater than the old one I'd sell the gently caress out of it right goddamn now because I need the money. The announcement just dropped today so is suspect the price of that is going to plummet within a few days unless people really loving want High Spirits. With the number of OOP Shout titles that have been popping up all over I have no idea why people are paying these insane premiums. It seems like every other day I see another one get announced.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

digital “movie spree” codes for Ultraman + Ultra Seven boxsets:

ultraman: ULTMS-UNY83-2AVB9-EUN45
ultra7: ULT7S-TKK8T-N5BPN-K6ZWD

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Brexit the Frog posted:

digital “movie spree” codes for Ultraman + Ultra Seven boxsets:

ultraman: ULTMS-UNY83-2AVB9-EUN45
ultra7: ULT7S-TKK8T-N5BPN-K6ZWD

Thanks, I have wanted to check out the expansive Ultra series since Mill Creek began giving sets to that Cereal at Midnight guy in exchange for his promotions, but it's so much content, this will be nice.

So as a way to pay it forward, here, a spare La La Land code, you can go to movieredeem.com and, once entered, you can choose where you want it: Apple, Vudu, or... Google, I think? Anyway, have fun.

97T7NLNPJETW

Edit: Learned the hard way about how MovieSpree functionally doesn't exist anymore. Also about just how much Shout! continues to be terrible. Lol

pwn fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Feb 22, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Beverly Hills Cop 2 UHD announced. Yes!

Jack Bandit
Feb 6, 2005
Shit, I'm a free man and I haven't had a conjugal visit in six months

pwn posted:

So as a way to pay it forward, here, a spare La La Land code

Grabbed this, thanks!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Boywhiz88 posted:

Beverly Hills Cop 2 UHD announced. Yes!

Oh HELL yes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

All remasters should have a silly name, thus I request this to be the Johnny Wishbone Edition.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

This Alligator UHD looks so drat good. I’m super happy Shout did the work on this one.

The Bryan Cranston interview is surprisingly insightful too, a real reverence for Robert Forester as well across all the extras.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

pwn posted:

Edit: Learned the hard way about how MovieSpree functionally doesn't exist anymore. Also about just how much Shout! continues to be terrible. Lol

haha oh poo poo. sorry!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Things are aligning for me to have a very good shot at getting that Alligator UHD in my hands today, if not I will order it and have to wait until next week.

There's an interesting review of Le Cercle Rouge 4k on bluray.com. The reviewer clearly feels that the color grading on it is drastically different from the original look of the film. It does make me think about how there are probably other instances of that in the UHD format where the look of a film was significantly changed but I just didn't notice because it wasn't a film I'd seen a bunch of times. I'd like to think reviewers would point it out but they're human too, they may not have seen every movie enough times to really know what the color grading should look like.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Thanks Vinegar Syndrome for reminding me to preorder Heavy Metal

Also they included a Wolfpack patch:

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Finally got around to watching the Full Metal Jacket 4K disc. It's impeccable, my highest recommendation. Super organic picture and great tasteful use of HDR.
Trivia: That's Kubrick on the radio towards the end when Cowboy is trying to get tank support.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

dorium posted:

This Alligator UHD looks so drat good. I’m super happy Shout did the work on this one.

The Bryan Cranston interview is surprisingly insightful too, a real reverence for Robert Forester as well across all the extras.

drat you weren't kidding. For a movie that I was never really able to find streaming in any decent quality, seeing it like this is a very cool thing. And Forester completely carries it, that's for sure. As it goes with most creature features you need at least one great actor to keep things entertaining when the creature isn't on screen.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Put in my first preorders since November due to moving and trying to save money. Touch of Evil 4K, plus Hitchcock's Rich and Strange, and Number Seventeen all from Kino Lorber... plus Phenomena 4K from Diabolik (US Synapse edition) and 1776 4K from Amazon.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Egbert Souse posted:

Put in my first preorders since November due to moving and trying to save money. Touch of Evil 4K, plus Hitchcock's Rich and Strange, and Number Seventeen all from Kino Lorber... plus Phenomena 4K from Diabolik (US Synapse edition) and 1776 4K from Amazon.

Thanks for the heads up on Touch of Evil coming out soon. I added The Stranger, Man on the Moon, Some Like it Hot and The Apartment so it doesn't get lonely in the shipping box.

Life gave me Lemmons.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Cannot wait for Touch of Evil. That delay was tough.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Boywhiz88 posted:

Cannot wait for Touch of Evil. That delay was tough.

I'm excited mostly because as fine as Universal's Blu-ray is, they filtered the image way too much so they could fit all three cuts on a single disc. Plus we get two more commentaries.

It does make me hope we get some more Welles in 4K. I know Criterion is apparently unable to do UHD for Netflix titles, but The Other Side of the Wind looked pretty amazing in 4K HDR. If just for the 35mm "movie in the movie" scenes that really pop.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Arrow just announced a 4k of this today. My wish came true!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Might get One-Armed Boxer https://www.arrowvideo.com/blu-ray/one-armed-boxer/13675347.html

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Just watched that new Speed disc and it looked excellent and sounded even better.

4k Twister when?

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

I'm excited mostly because as fine as Universal's Blu-ray is, they filtered the image way too much so they could fit all three cuts on a single disc. Plus we get two more commentaries.

It does make me hope we get some more Welles in 4K. I know Criterion is apparently unable to do UHD for Netflix titles, but The Other Side of the Wind looked pretty amazing in 4K HDR. If just for the 35mm "movie in the movie" scenes that really pop.

It's honestly weird that The Other Side of the Wind still isn't out and they've done other Netflix movies. Wasn't a blu-ray a perk from the kickstarter like 7 years ago?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Almost Blue posted:

It's honestly weird that The Other Side of the Wind still isn't out and they've done other Netflix movies. Wasn't a blu-ray a perk from the kickstarter like 7 years ago?

That Kickstarter wasn't funded. Netflix were the ones who funded the completion of the Other Side of the Wind.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Anyone hunting slipcovers?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I always throw the slipcover away.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I mean, it's garbage. That's where garbage goes

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Throwing away free money

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I will never understand people who love physical media but hate physical media

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

And they prevent the plastic from getting that ugly looking/feeling warping too.

Just put on the Invasion of the Body Snatchers UHD. Have been rally looking forward to this (and it came with a slip which I was worried I waited too long to grab one and would end up without one).

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MacheteZombie posted:

Throwing away free money

If I could just (carefully i guess) throw them into a box and then give them to someone else to sell and give me half the income, then great, but i'm not gonna sit and try and ebay these shits for $1.99 a piece i just cannot fathom doing that

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Send them to me and I’ll buy you a six pack and pay for media mail.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

It's not really the media and it's completely superfluous and usually adds nothing because it's either identical to the cover art under it or it looks like poo poo. Sometimes they're fun but it's never been the make or break feature for me. Especially if the slipcover one costs more.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

pwn posted:

i know you were speaking tongue-in-cheek, but ill reply earnestly anyway -

I purchase physical media because it's a license to the content for personal use, which i then (still pseudo-illegal in the US because ... reasons?) rip them to my NAS for my home movie server.

I store the films in their original quality 1:1 as off the bluray. Once ripped they go into storage containers like these off amazon:

and then into a storage unit like this:

So that's why i don't care about slip covers and just toss them out. Everything is on my home plex and i never touch a disc more than once in case i need to rerip (it does happen) ((e: if you're trying to guess the quantity of films based on those cases, a) that's not all of them and b) it's currently 2,138 films)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Some of those are probably doubles.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

CPL593H posted:

Some of those are probably doubles.

I believe 2 or maybe 3 are doubles, total. I have made that mistake historically but now simply check against the file server before buying anything.

e: I also never rebuy anything for fancier packaging etc, but i will upgrade from DVD to blu if originally DVD was all that was available, or from a lovely encode to a better one occasionally, but i dont call that a dupe. I have returned quite a few discs before i started just looking it up first against the live library lol

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Feb 27, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Lotta movies! You may have Short Circuit 2 on blu, but a friend of mine has a signed photo of Steve Guttenberg. He's no Fisher Stevens, but who is.

I quote CHUD quite often. "It doesn't wash, Bosch!".

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Heavy Metal posted:

Lotta movies! You may have Short Circuit 2 on blu, but a friend of mine has a signed photo of Steve Guttenberg. He's no Fisher Stevens, but who is.

i started collecting when blu ray won the format war in like 2008.

went to archiving them to disk for access via VLC and XBMC in like 2011 when i had multiple dvd storage racks in my living room and it was getting excessive. im on gen 4 of my NAS to hold them at this point, 125.4 TB of synology. kinda became a bit of a thing lol. There's a physical disc for every title in the library, zero piracy.

also, I love having incredible blu ray quality original rips of the shittiest movies on the planet. Mac and me in the above, it's my library of meme source captures too.

e: and now i realize there's more steve guttenberg movies i need to add pronto too. it never ends.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 27, 2022

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Almost Blue posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they’re saving it for a late Welles box set that also has Hopper/Welles, the new restoration of F For Fake, and all the other later stuff he did. They found a lost short he made for Cartrivision this year.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Kino's putting out a Night of the Hunter 4k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Grabbed the Arrow 4k for Phenomena from Grindhouse Video. I wanted it to match the other Argento 4ks I have versus the Synapse edition, which has cover art that I don't like as much, and also isn't out for another month versus Arrow's set.