Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

OctaMurk posted:

But Ukraine was never going to be able to join NATO or the EU, because of the Russian-occupied puppet republics in the east. Everyone knows that. So . . . what was the threat to Russia?

The big giveaway here is in this line: "This "military adventure" as you call it, is just the final attempt Russia is doing to defend it's sphere of influence. Can you really blame them?" The threat to Russia was Ukraine being sovereign, and being allowed to deliberate and attempt joining NATO. The question Knightsoul seems to be asking is "can you blame Russia for not accepting the sovereignty of its neighbors?" and the answer is absolutely yes, we can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

:rolleyes:
Apr 2, 2002

Knightsoul posted:

It's been years since the russians clearly said the NATO expansion towards their borders wasn't acceptable for them, what other "serious attempts at negotiation" you need?
but still our western leaders didn't give a gently caress about russian warnings (because we're the good guys and they're bad....right?!?)

This "military adventure" as you call it, is just the final attempt Russia is doing to defend it's sphere of influence. Can you really blame them?
What if Mexico or Canada enter an alliance with Russia, are you so naive to expect no U.S. intervention?

Knightsoul posted:

20 years..... 20 loving years.
And billions of money spent to "train afghan security forces" that melt like snow under the sun in about what? 3/4 days?!? are we loving joking?
20 loving years.
Think about all the people that died, that lost their limbs or that will be forever imprisoned in their body stuck on a wheelchair......... all of that, for what? FOR WHAT?!?!??! :ughh:

after going na huy, maybe also remove the molotov cocktail from your tank periscope before talking about military adventurism, preferably by hand

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I'm sure all these idiots talking about how it's understandable for Russia to invade somewhere to "defend their sphere of influence" think the Bay of Pigs was also totally understandable :rolleyes:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

wetdela posted:

А тебе іди нахуй піздєць. так сілно ти любеш сосати членом путина! смакота? тобі молодєць, хуйло!

Same

RE: Abbot
Eastern Europeans buy poo poo from Eastern euro stores that get imported food usually via NY or New Jersey.
So I don't think this is going to work.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

Knightsoul posted:

I think he hoped 'till the last minute before starting the war that this whole crisis could be avoided, since he knew for sure that it would make him look like the new coming of Satan on earth.
The real question that we should ask ourselves is right the opposite: what our western leaders thought it would happen if we deceive Ukraine that it could enter NATO or the European Union and and let it become the western bastion against the evil evil russians?
and expect the evil Russia to not intervene?
Crazy thoughts for sure, but all the fault is on our western leaders hands for the incoming bloodbath (don't even think you've seen yet the real destructive power of the russian warmachine).

Surely there should be an exception — can we call this facist motherfucker a oval office?

I’ll risk the 6’er — gently caress you oval office

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Young Freud posted:

Ah, come the gently caress on....
https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1497666530070441991?s=20&t=YWSOZX1-jMczBRdEwzuV2A
Like what loving products would we even have on Texas retail shelves. Maybe some vodka, but can't see anything else. And Abbott isn't the only one, because Lt. Gov Delbert Hosemann of Mississippi is doing the same poo poo, too.

I need Zelensky to derail this blatant opportunism by saying "Trans kids need defending too" or something.

I haven't eaten french fries since the US invasion of Iraq. Adding Smirnoff to the list. God speed, Ukraine.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
Knightsoul is taking a break for repeating stuff that's been thoroughly covered already as described in the OP.

It's derailed the thread enough, please move on from telling Knightsoul to gently caress off etc.

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug
I am just laughing my dick off reading this Tom Friedman column. I wonder if he even writes anymore or just uses GPT. Just look at some of these gems:

quote:

Welcome to World War Wired — the first war in a totally interconnected world. This will be the Cossacks meet the World Wide Web. Like I said, you haven’t been here before.

quote:

Anyone up for an anti-Putin trucker strike to prevent Russian goods going to and through Western Europe by way of Poland? Watch that space. Some super-empowered Polish citizens with a few roadblocks, pickups and smartphones could choke Russia’s whole economy in this wired world.

quote:

The musician and actress Selena Gomez has twice as many followers on Instagram — over 298 million — as Russia has citizens. Yes, Vladimir, I can hear you laughing from here and echoing Stalin’s quip about the pope: “How many divisions does Selena Gomez have?”

quote:

And while they cannot roll back your tanks, they can make every leader in the West roll up the red carpet to you, so you, and your cronies, can never travel to their countries. You are now officially a global pariah. I hope you like Chinese and North Korean food.

quote:

I wish that I could blithely predict that Ukraine will be Putin’s Waterloo — and his alone. But I can’t, because in our wired world, what happens in Waterloo doesn’t stay in Waterloo.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/25/opinion/putin-russia-ukraine.html

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The dumbest thing about the whole ':smug: listen up kiddos, if you knew a thing or two about geopolitics you'd know that this is simply maintenance of Spheres Of Influence" is that it's incredibly far from clear that from a ruthless realpolitik position this is at all going to be a good thing for Russia. Very real odds that it ends in total disaster!

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I'm sure all these idiots talking about how it's understandable for Russia to invade somewhere to "defend their sphere of influence" think the Bay of Pigs was also totally understandable :rolleyes:

Since the invasion the “”legitimate security concerns””of Putin have only grown more legitimate and more concerning

Have Some Flowers!
Aug 27, 2004
Hey, I've got Navigate...

Young Freud posted:

Like what loving products would we even have on Texas retail shelves. Maybe some vodka, but can't see anything else. And Abbott isn't the only one, because Lt. Gov Delbert Hosemann of Mississippi is doing the same poo poo, too.
There's a small 'world market' grocery here in Austin that's getting harassed on Facebook because they have some Russian products on their shelves. The dumbest part is that the grocery is owned by a Ukrainian.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I don’t know zelensky’s personal positions but I would not look to Eastern European politicians for good opinions on lgbt rights.

Ukraine is the most progressive ex-USSR country after Estonia, as far as rights of sexual minorities are concerned. It’s more progressive than half a dozen EU member states I can think of - which admittedly is an incredibly low bar.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

SUNKOS posted:

I think this might have been covered in the thread earlier? There's a stupid amount of pages I've missed but I saw this on Twitter that's from 13 hours ago and I don't know if any of this has or can be verified but sharing since it seems to line up with what we've seen: https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537193346220038

The claims of Russia's plans to spread panic and how they intend to do so are sickening. I hope it's untrue but I remember reading about a hospital being hit and a couple of children in a cancer ward being lost? I recall the picture of the residential building that was hit as well so it does seem to line up with what's said here.

I think that Ukraine can keep holding on and hope that something happens to Putin as the domestic situation in Russia reaches a breaking point. Wishful thinking maybe but it seems that we're reaching a point where many close to him might be contemplating trying to get rid of him? Surely they must know it's their heads that will eventually roll if they don't?

i can sorta believe some of it but I am unsure. source seems reliable.

KitConstantine posted:

I don't think this is gonna go over well at the UN security council meeting tomorrow

https://twitter.com/rob_korczak/status/1497741177206026241?t=Zvu_qMB_eWukfZxx0BD1jA&s=19

i think its clear putin is trying to make another Cuban missile crisis but way way dumber and shittier. or at least the threat of one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukraine is the most progressive ex-USSR country after Estonia, as far as rights of sexual minorities are concerned. It’s more progressive than half a dozen EU member states I can think of - which admittedly is an incredibly low bar.

I am glad to hear this

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Smeef posted:

quote:

The musician and actress Selena Gomez has twice as many followers on Instagram — over 298 million — as Russia has citizens. Yes, Vladimir, I can hear you laughing from here and echoing Stalin’s quip about the pope: “How many divisions does Selena Gomez have?”

russia spent too much time worrying about spheres of influence when they sohuld have been worrying about spheres of influencers!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i think its clear putin is trying to make another Cuban missile crisis but way way dumber and shittier. or at least the threat of one.

It's likely to keep Belarus in line, because there's no actual incremental strategic value to putting nukes in Belarus. Anything you can accomplish with a nuclear weapon launched from Belarus you can do from Kaliningrad or Russia proper. only purpose is to bind Belarus closer to the Putin regime.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Have Some Flowers! posted:

There's a small 'world market' grocery here in Austin that's getting harassed on Facebook because they have some Russian products on their shelves. The dumbest part is that the grocery is owned by a Ukrainian.

During the ramp up to WWI, plenty of businesses with Germanish names in Paris and London was looted and destroyed. I guess we’ve moved that tradition into the digital space.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

droll posted:

I haven't eaten french fries since the US invasion of Iraq. Adding Smirnoff to the list. God speed, Ukraine.

rip my favorite snack: vodka frenchfries

Smeef posted:

I am just laughing my dick off reading this Tom Friedman column. I wonder if he even writes anymore or just uses GPT. Just look at some of these gems:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/25/opinion/putin-russia-ukraine.html

Ironically he basically has it backwards: we're at least a decade deep into wars being mega-recorded. The novel thing here is that this is the first war in a while that has actually been prevented from being entirely posted online in real time.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013

OctaMurk posted:

russia spent too much time worrying about spheres of influence when they sohuld have been worrying about spheres of influencers!!

This joke made me commit nose exhale when I was feeling down so thank you

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

"how many divisions does Selena Gomez have" should be the new thread title

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Have Some Flowers! posted:

That grocery store owner needs to tell people that you can take these Russian goods off the shelf and break them as long as you buy them and don't smash them in the store.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
e: wrong thread

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Fill Baptismal posted:

The dumbest thing about the whole ':smug: listen up kiddos, if you knew a thing or two about geopolitics you'd know that this is simply maintenance of Spheres Of Influence" is that it's incredibly far from clear that from a ruthless realpolitik position this is at all going to be a good thing for Russia. Very real odds that it ends in total disaster!

It's already massively backfired at it's supposed "main goal" of countering/weakening NATO lol

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

SUNKOS posted:

I think this might have been covered in the thread earlier? There's a stupid amount of pages I've missed but I saw this on Twitter that's from 13 hours ago and I don't know if any of this has or can be verified but sharing since it seems to line up with what we've seen: https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537193346220038

The claims of Russia's plans to spread panic and how they intend to do so are sickening. I hope it's untrue but I remember reading about a hospital being hit and a couple of children in a cancer ward being lost? I recall the picture of the residential building that was hit as well so it does seem to line up with what's said here.

I think that Ukraine can keep holding on and hope that something happens to Putin as the domestic situation in Russia reaches a breaking point. Wishful thinking maybe but it seems that we're reaching a point where many close to him might be contemplating trying to get rid of him? Surely they must know it's their heads that will eventually roll if they don't?

https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537201403580421?s=20&t=5hCfeTnhEeRHxg2iDAFNFA

This stands out to me the most, if Putin is forced to retreat... I have no idea how such a leader would save face. I can't imagine even Putin remaining to stay in office after such a huge bluster.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
it is super frustrating how difficult it to actually discern reality with how poorly the networks and major papers are covering this war. you can watch cnn for hours and learn basically nothing, so you're really just forced to expose yourself to propaganda on twitter if you want to figure out what's actually happening in the country. obviously, there is always fog of war, but it seems like a major step down from what we've seen in past conflicts. i know it's not the world's biggest problem but it's definitely an issue coloring people's perspectives about the conflict.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I’m pretty sure we still base nukes in Italy and Germany but i might have old information.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Fill Baptismal posted:

I think the biggest misconception of realpolitik is the same as the biggest misconception of Machiavellianism. The misconception in both of them seems to be "act like a belligerent warmonger 24/7 because nobody can stop you and they can't handle the truth," and while I can understand the appeal to certain types of folks, well, it's inaccurate and doesn't lend itself well to nuance.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Additionally, and sadly, I've gotten notifications of LGBTQ Ukrainians desperately trying to get out of the country for fear of what Russia might do to them. It's heartbreaking.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Texas is mad about Russians killing Ukrainians (right)and also women choosing to abort their babies(wrong). My brain is having a hard time with this and in reboot loop.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Virigoth posted:

Texas is mad about Russians killing Ukrainians (right)and also women choosing to abort their babies(wrong). My brain is having a hard time with this and in reboot loop.

Oh it's easy. Abbott is ambulance chasing to look good and strong with the big crisis of the moment that most Americans agree on.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

SUNKOS posted:

This is well-executed and it's generating a lot of buzz and there may even be some grains of truth in it but it's basically exactly what the Ukrainian government would want everyone to believe to be true. We just gotta hold out a few days guys!

I mean, I hope it's all true too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Virigoth posted:

Sometimes people can give both good and bad opinions. Real life is not a Boolean function

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Concerned Citizen posted:

it is super frustrating how difficult it to actually discern reality with how poorly the networks and major papers are covering this war. you can watch cnn for hours and learn basically nothing, so you're really just forced to expose yourself to propaganda on twitter if you want to figure out what's actually happening in the country. obviously, there is always fog of war, but it seems like a major step down from what we've seen in past conflicts. i know it's not the world's biggest problem but it's definitely an issue coloring people's perspectives about the conflict.

On the plus side there is less chance of CNN Geraldo Riveraing Ukrainian troop movements, but state of things around quite a few major cities is indeed very vague.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

surf rock posted:

That was nauseating to watch, but I'll take the silver lining that at least Trump isn't taking the Tucker Carlson line that Ukraine doesn't exist and that we should actively be supporting Russia (and thereby spreading that view to at least a third of the populace overnight). Inexplicably, Trump has been out-jackassed on this one.

I don't believe for a minute he means what he's saying, but for this very moment, I'll take it.

Also:

https://twitter.com/JakeCordell/status/1497711991552675841

trump is a moron but he can read the room to enough of a degree to take 1 step half forward and then a step back. like he will go back to kissing putins rear end if/when the chuds get mad at him about it. none of this will make trump look better and he just talked about wanting to invade Canada for its tyranny.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

https://twitter.com/RihoTerras/status/1497537201403580421?s=20&t=5hCfeTnhEeRHxg2iDAFNFA

This stands out to me the most, if Putin is forced to retreat... I have no idea how such a leader would save face. I can't imagine even Putin remaining to stay in office after such a huge bluster.

i think he is looking to end this very quick still and is legit hoping Zelensky just shits himself and leaves, which won't happen. all the terror tactics poo poo will back fire badly at this point.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

KitConstantine posted:

I don't think this is gonna go over well at the UN security council meeting tomorrow

https://twitter.com/rob_korczak/status/1497741177206026241?t=Zvu_qMB_eWukfZxx0BD1jA&s=19

I think this has been on the horizon during the last weeks building up to the horizon. I really hope this doesn’t happen.

Then again, everything I’ve been seeing recently has been stuff I didn’t want to have happen.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

You're not going to figure out what's happening on twitter. You're not going to figure out what's happening really anywhere for a while.

All you can really get off of twitter is a rough idea of if stuff is being blown up. And it's a modern war, so yeah stuff is getting blown up.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
a forecast from back in January:

quote:

In short, this war will look nothing like the status quo ante of conflict in Ukraine, and that undermines the first justification for U.S. aid: deterring Russia. The Ukrainian military has been shaped to fight the conflict in the Donbass and thus poses little deterrent threat to Russia; provision of U.S. weapons can do nothing to change that. If Moscow is willing to launch a major war, invading the second-largest country in Europe with a population of over 40 million, all while absorbing tremendous economic punishment from the West, then it is unlikely to be deterred by whatever U.S. military assistance can be delivered in the coming weeks. The only weapons systems that could plausibly impose costs that could change Russia's calculus, such as surface-to-air missiles and combat aircraft, are ones that the United States would be highly unlikely to provide the Ukrainians. And, regardless, they could not be procured, delivered, and be made operational—to say nothing of getting the Ukrainian operators trained up to use them—in time to have an impact on this crisis. Large, modern systems require extensive training and material support.

Once deterrence fails and a war begins, the Ukrainian armed forces will find themselves in desperate circumstances almost immediately. Ukraine does not have anywhere near enough forces to credibly defend against all the potential avenues of attack, which means it would have to choose between defending a select set of fixed strong points—ceding control of other areas—or maneuvering to engage Russian forces that outnumber them. The line of conflict in the Donbass will be but one of many fronts. The Ukrainian fortifications there may well look like a modern-day Maginot Line: prepared for a frontal attack that may never come and bypassed by the mobile forces of an adversary with more-advanced aircraft and more-mobile land forces.

Ukraine's great size means that the land forces operating there will be required to move to cover large areas of rural terrain. Mobile engagements would benefit Russian forces, which are far better trained and equipped to conduct coordinated air and land maneuver warfare than their Ukrainian opponents. The Russian military has repeatedly practiced the use of long-range strike and tactical fires cued by drones as well as other means of reconnaissance, both in training and in combat operations in Syria. Russia's combat aircraft and strategic air defenses give Moscow many more options to control the air and to strike Ukrainian forces, and most Russian pilots have recent real-world experience in Syria. The Ukrainian military also largely operates legacy Soviet weapons; Russian forces have a deep familiarity with the limitations of these systems and know what tactics to employ to further reduce their effectiveness.

In short, the military balance between Russia and Ukraine is so lopsided in Moscow's favor that any assistance Washington might provide in coming weeks would be largely irrelevant in determining the outcome of a conflict should it begin. Russia's advantages in capacity, capability, and geography combine to pose insurmountable challenges for Ukrainian forces tasked with defending their country. The second argument for aid—changing the course of the war—thus does not hold water.

The third argument for aid is to provide assistance to enable a Ukrainian insurgency to impose costs on a Russian occupying force. Many have in mind the historical analogy here of U.S. aid to the mujahideen in Afghanistan following the Soviet invasion in 1979. Indeed, some are even recommending providing the same Stinger shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles that plagued the Soviet air force at the time.

If Russia attempts a long-term occupation of areas with lots of hostile Ukrainians, these forms of support could, on the margins, complicate matters for Moscow. But U.S. support to a Ukrainian insurgency should be a matter of last resort during an extended conflict, not a centerpiece of policy before it has even started. The prospect of a marginally more costly occupation is unlikely to make a difference to Moscow if it gets to that stage; it will have already absorbed far more significant costs. Russian planners are aware that a lot can go wrong in a large-scale operation, especially an occupation. If Putin takes the decision to occupy large parts of Ukraine, it will not be because he believes it will be easy or inexpensive to Russia.

We should also keep in mind that the costs of a war that lasts to the point of an insurgency campaign in Ukraine will be disproportionately borne by Ukrainians. At that stage of conflict, thousands—or, more likely, tens of thousands—of Ukrainians will have died. For any successes they achieve against the Russian occupiers, Ukrainian insurgents will be made to pay dearly; the experience of the Syrian opposition or the Chechen insurgents is not one Americans should wish on a close partner like Ukraine.

https://www.rand.org/blog/2022/01/us-military-aid-to-ukraine-a-silver-bullet.html
Ukraine has turned out to do unexpectedly well, but I'm wondering if e.g. every T-72 and MiG-29 in Polish hands is going to change owners in the near future.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is well-executed and it's generating a lot of buzz and there may even be some grains of truth in it but it's basically exactly what the Ukrainian government would want everyone to believe to be true. We just gotta hold out a few days guys!

I mean, I hope it's all true too.

i would love for it to be true, but i find it really hard to believe that one of the world's largest producers of industrial metals and the country that constitutes 20% of the world's arms market is going to struggle to sustain a war for 10 days due to a lack of material.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ronya posted:

[url]
I wonder if NATO intends to supply air or armoured vehicles? What is in that US package anyway?

Supplying vehicles outside of like trucks is tricky because if they aren't extremely similar or identical to stuff the Ukrainians have then they aren't going to be trained to use them and are going suffer a poo poo ton of deaths imo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

i would love for it to be true, but i find it really hard to believe that one of the world's largest producers of industrial metals and the country that constitutes 20% of the world's arms market is going to struggle to sustain a war for 10 days due to a lack of material.

Lack of ballistic missiles isn't completely impossible, i'm seeing similar comments from multiple sources. The part that makes it propaganda is that lack of guided ballistic missiles isn't the same thing as lack of missiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Young Freud posted:

Ah, come the gently caress on....
https://twitter.com/nezumi_ningen/status/1497666530070441991?s=20&t=YWSOZX1-jMczBRdEwzuV2A

I need Zelensky to derail this blatant opportunism by saying "Trans kids need defending too" or something.

Liberty Cabbage time, folks!