Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The origin of Godrick's fighting style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdWnPQsHIx0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:

Do lighter shields have better parry windows?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I started Elden Ring today, and played for about three hours. Made it to the gate where you fight the big enemy who jumps down from above, and beat him after about three or four attempts. Of course, I found out that he respawns, so I decided to venture out elsewhere.

It was a little awkward at first having the 'use' button mapped to Triangle, and there being a jump button, but I've gotten used to it. I died to the intro tutorial boss, and I'm curious as to what happens if you're able to beat him. I thought the game map seemed kind of small, but on zooming out, it occurred to me that there are other sections that aren't revealed yet.

I went with the Warrior class, because I wanted something that had points in INT so I could try and use spells (though it sounds like spells might not be that good) and the Moonlight Great Sword (since I've yet to do a run of Soulsborne games where I use the MLGS). The dual scimitars hit pretty fast, but to fight the big enemy by the gate, I wanted to try and find something that hits harder and had more range. I just platinumed the Demon's Souls Remake roughly a week ago, and by the end, I was alternating between the Winged Spear and the Claymore. I thought about seeking out a Halberd (though the Halberd seems to differ in its moveset from game-to-game), but I don't really know where to go to find weapons in general. I got the Lordsworn's Straight Sword from an enemy drop, and a Greataxe I can't use from one of those wagons being pulled by the two big enemies. Any place I should go to find gear, or where I could get runes to level up?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

School Nickname posted:

a good question that i unfortunately do not have the answer for, but am dying to know as well

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stormveil Castle: I think I've cleared the whole place out, including the hosed up tree guy down below, but there's a section across the gap from where I drop down to the tree guy that I can't reach. I assume it's connected to the one way door next to the lift room grace, and I can see a door that seems to be connected to the cathedral that Rogier is in, but no obvious way in. What am I missing here?

Char
Jan 5, 2013

Iymarra posted:

I am trying to find a sorcery Carian Slicer however the NPC that most guides are saying should have it Sorceress Sellen does not, even after giving them a key item. What am I missing?

You need to find a scroll to unlock it on their list. IIRC it's not far fom the NPC itself, on a roof.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And I beat Margit. Through the cheapest way possible, bringing in that summon outside the door and a jellyfish, then playing hit him in the back whenever he wasn't paying attention. But gently caress it, I'll take it

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

drunken officeparty posted:

The map feels really barren to be honest. I keep seeing people comparing this to BoTW but really it’s just exactly Dark Souls 4.

The “network status check failed” issue on xbox is really annoying me now too. Not that I want to play with someone but I’m missing all the messages and can’t summon help.

Literally just something as simple as the lady being like “bring this letter to my pops down in the castle” is 10x more interesting then any of the optional quests or content in BoTW. It was a great world but it was insanely barren of story driven content

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

School Nickname posted:

Perhaps? In DS1, one of the small shields (the Target Shield, I think) had an extra couple frames for the parry window. Dunno if that ever carried over to other games.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
There is a summonable NPC for the Stormveil big boss, any word on whether I need to keep her alive for the fight or not? Since I met her in non-phantom person earlier in the castle and she asked me to summon her for the fight I'm assuming so, but I know some of the games have cared about that stuff and others haven't

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am bad at open world games but BotW is my go-to example of a barren, featureless, glacially-slow open world map with nothing exciting to find and I'm glad that this game is pretty much the exact opposite - narrow paths, lots of verticality with more exciting traversal than "hold up on the stick for 3.5 minutes", constant enemy encounters, rewarding my exploration with gameplay instead of collectibles. The truly open world parts of this game are the worst parts IMO and I've just been riding straight through all the wide open, non-focused areas like swamps and plains. I don't think Open World was a good choice for this game but they pulled it off better than any other Open World game ever has

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

uh oh my friend who has never played a souls game and has never even expressed any interest in any game that's souls adjacent picked this up due to all the hype and i don't know how that's going to go

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
the wolverine claws.... are sick!!!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

goferchan posted:

There is a summonable NPC for the Stormveil big boss, any word on whether I need to keep her alive for the fight or not? Since I met her in non-phantom person earlier in the castle and she asked me to summon her for the fight I'm assuming so, but I know some of the games have cared about that stuff and others haven't

directly related to the above post: I met that person again later after they died as a summon in that fight. don't know if that's meant to happen or a bug to be fixed but that's my anecdotal evidence that it doesn't matter

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/AcidicUnnaturalJunebug-mobile.mp4

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oh hello DS1 Basilisks, I did not miss you

Edit: oh those sre their eyes this time, not the exact same

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

Game good. It seems in every corner of the world there's a new weird thing to discover.
And the fashion possibilities are amazing, even early on.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Which of the two items from rennala of the full moon would be better for a mage to use? the staff is good, but that sorcery has to be a one-off, even for its 70 int requirement

Also where do i bring her Great Rune of the Unborn?
Edit: nvm to this i see this one doesnt have to be taken anywhere

Deviant fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 27, 2022

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I've been playing for over 10 hours now. Where're the miracles? :argh: I've gotten two: the fireball and the eye beam blaze thing (which is super sweet), but I'm looking for a little more variety.

I did find the angel scythe which I'm about 6 levels away from being able to wield, though. :getin:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

School Nickname posted:

In previous Souls games there were small shields that had worse defense but made parrys easier. Haven't played yet but that would appear to be the same here. It usually mentions it in the item description.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Cowcaster posted:

uh oh my friend who has never played a souls game and has never even expressed any interest in any game that's souls adjacent picked this up due to all the hype and i don't know how that's going to go

I had a buddy do that and his trip report was pretty funny

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fuckin hell all the cool zones are underground aren't they

Spades
Sep 18, 2011
Been playing for a bit while waiting for concrete to be poured. The weirdly laggy controls this one (which aren't present in any other DS game) means my character is constantly ignoring roll inputs when I need them to, which makes a lot of the boss fights exhausting as a result. I don't like the way that as with DS2 onwards they have pretty much just given all the bosses enormous HP pools as a means of making them more difficult - it tends to be that I just end up figuring out the boss and spend what feels like half an hour evading their attacks which isn't a challenge and just really boring.

There are a lot of bosses - crucible knight, the bear thing in mushroom land, eldtree avatar - that I have fought which are simplistic challenges but because of the way they take upwards of 200+ hits to kill, I eventually get to about 70% hp down before the buggy rolls cause me to run out of healing. It isn't really fun and it doesn't feel like a skill rewarding task either.

The previous games didn't seem to be designed with as much of the optional early content seemingly requiring +15 weapons which makes these optional areas unreward to clear - because I'm constantly concious that the challenge is coming from having to do the same task the same with for 30 minutes, and not because the enemy's attacks and weakpoints are less presented than early game bosses.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Barudak posted:

Just fought the boss that guards unlimited smithing stones 1 and 2 and it was finally a battle for just guard countering and a reward thats good as hell.

There’s a battle for this? I missed out. There’s a
giant scholar just before Cairan Manor or whatever that sells stones 1-4 and acts as a blacksmith. No fight required.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
There shouldn’t be any lag so I don’t know what’s wrong with your set up

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I wasn't feeling the mini-dungeons but Stormveil Castle is one of the better dungeons they've done. Especially if you're drunk on hubris and try a frontal assault instead of the coward's path.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Welcome traveler. Thirsty?

WELL HOW ABOUT A NICE HAWAIIAN PU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

terrorist ambulance posted:

The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster
It is. The timing between the small / eye shield(s) and the other kinds is noticeable; the whirlwind ash effect is pretty in-sync with smaller ones and... not with the big ones

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Danger posted:

There’s a battle for this? I missed out. There’s a
giant scholar just before Cairan Manor or whatever that sells stones 1-4 and acts as a blacksmith. No fight required.

Those are somber stones. Generics (which you need to upgrade most things) require unlocking

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

What dungeon do you mean? Also what armor are you rilling with? I haven’t found anything to replace what I started with (yet)

Raya Lucaria or whatever. The magic academy.

I’m using exile body, glintstone crown (increases sorcery), sorcerer wraps for arms and legs, talisman that boosts health and equip load, sorcery talisman.
Weapons are meteorite staff and crystal straight sword.
Spells I primarily use are cairn great sword, rock sling, pebble.
I can roll over a lot of poo poo but tight physical encounters are a bit rough.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I literally can’t progress this dungeon becasue some troll put a message on a lever.

Actually I’m kind of starting to hate the messages in general and wish I could just turn them off without turning off the other online stuff. They poo poo up the aesthetic and 99.9% of them are some no assed unfunny joke. Neat feature but I’m over it.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

I had a buddy do that and his trip report was pretty funny

"and thats when i realized

i hosed up"

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

veni veni veni posted:

I literally can’t progress this dungeon becasue some troll put a message on a lever.

Actually I’m kind of starting to hate the messages in general and wish I could just turn them off without turning off the other online stuff. They poo poo up the aesthetic and 99.9% of them are some no assed unfunny joke. Neat feature but I’m over it.

You should be able to press the d-pad left or right to select actions if there is a bunch of things on the same spot. Yeah the jokes have gotten old pretty fast.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

If you can interact with the lever, messages won't affect it, just use the dpad to change your action. But a lot of levers start non intractable until you take the lift/open the shortcut from the other side

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I know how it works but they managed to break something and the lever is totally non interactive. It’s an elevator I need to get to a boss I’ve already used it multiple times to my shame

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
i hope to god there aren't any actual hidden pathways that need you to hit a wall or something because nearly every wall in the game has a 'hidden area' message in front of it

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

In other games if there are multiple interact-able things in the same space you get a little button prompt to cycle through them to prevent just this type of shenanigans. Is that Souls or Nioh I'm thinking about?

In Geop's LP of DS1 he couldn't hit the Sif summon in the final DLC boss fight because someone put a message right on top of it: Blocking :lol:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

veni veni veni posted:

I know how it works but they managed to break something and the lever is totally non interactive. It’s an elevator I need to get to a boss I’ve already used it multiple times to my shame

Try restarting the game, sounds like a bug unrelated to the message

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You should be able to press the d-pad left or right to select actions if there is a bunch of things on the same spot. Yeah the jokes have gotten old pretty fast.

Ah cool, good to know. 16% downloaded for me right now :woop: