Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Liberty Cabbage time, folks!

I thought that's still illegal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

droll posted:

I haven't eaten french fries since the US invasion of Iraq. Adding Smirnoff to the list. God speed, Ukraine.

Australia is joining that fight.

https://www.olympiangames.com.au/zvezda-clearance.html

These are 15mm WW2 wargame miniatures. I have bought magnetic base plates from them in the past, though I don't use modern 15mm so won't be buying any myself.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

"With no repercussions or threats whatsoever, they're not so smart. They're looking the opposite of smart."

Authoritarianism needs to die in a humiliating fashion for their followers to get in line.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

ZombieLenin posted:

Are you white knighting a fascist leader of a clepto-capitalist mafia state who kills political opponents (and random unrelated people) with nerve agents and radiological poisons on foreign soil, who just delivered a Hitleresque speech about “Greater Russia” and how Ukrainian statehood is a fiction, before invading that country and then using thermobaric weapons on civilians to terrorize them?

Whoa, wait a second here chief. Are you tut-tutting the notion of a fascist leader of a clepto-capitalist mafia state who kills political opponents (and random unrelated people) with nerve agents and radiological poisons on foreign soil, who just delivered a Hitleresque speech about “Greater Russia” and how Ukrainian statehood is a fiction, before invading that country and then using thermobaric weapons on civilians to terrorize them having a sphere of influence? Because that sure sounds like it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Telsa Cola posted:

Supplying vehicles outside of like trucks is tricky because if they aren't extremely similar or identical to stuff the Ukrainians have then they aren't going to be trained to use them and are going suffer a poo poo ton of deaths imo.

Both Romania and Poland have vehicles currently in use by the Ukrainian Army and Air Force. Just saying.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Knightsoul posted:

What if Mexico or Canada enter an alliance with Russia, are you so naive to expect no U.S. intervention?

The US would not be justified in invading Mexico or Canada regardless of whom they allied themselves with and any such invasion would rightfully be viewed by anyone outside of the US as a horrific crime even if it theoretically furthered US strategic interests.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

its 4AM Kyiv time. Stay safe ukrainains.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Sometimes people can give both good and bad opinions. Real life is not a Boolean function

They don’t teach that subject in Texas.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Both Romania and Poland have vehicles currently in use by the Ukrainian Army and Air Force. Just saying.

Lockmart representative asking the Polish government what it would take for them to fly home today in a brand new F-35A.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

russia spent too much time worrying about spheres of influence when they sohuld have been worrying about spheres of influencers!!

Didn't last week some vtuber made "#weloverussia" trending on twitter? Maybe thats why Putin figured he would be welcomed as a liberator.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The less sexy stuff is probably the most useful. Logistical support like fuel, water, MREs, trucks, field hospitals, blood plasma, etc that requires zero training to use or is interoperable / commoditized is very useful. Just basic load bearing equipment, canteens, helmets (lol) and soft body armor are all in short supply with the militia and that kind of gear makes a difference. Other high tech gear that is easy to train on is also useful: night vision devices, secure communication devices, etc. Plus intelligence support.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Play posted:

Hell yeah. What is a 'deployable R-330Zh EW'?

It's the thing that maybe jams drones. Will definitely jamm cell phones and other common small radios, and possibly can be used to triangulate their position. Absolutely a high-value target.

Dessel posted:

Why would Putin be in the Urals? It was a consensus prior in the thread that this reads like fanfic. Though the dude himself is European Parliament member it looks like his source is bad/propaganda. Also what kind of raw materials does Finland export to Russia that are relevant for any weapons? Sure there are some raw materials but it seems like a stretch there'd be any impact recently.

We make tons of silicon wafers that are specialized for sensors, including ones that go into weapons. I believe Russia is incapable of making modern equivalents.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ukraine is the most progressive ex-USSR country after Estonia, as far as rights of sexual minorities are concerned. It’s more progressive than half a dozen EU member states I can think of - which admittedly is an incredibly low bar.

I have actually heard an Ukrainian say that the main reason they have been pushing for LGBT rights is probably because the Russians are pushing against them. Literally improving human rights to own the chuds.

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

This stands out to me the most, if Putin is forced to retreat... I have no idea how such a leader would save face. I can't imagine even Putin remaining to stay in office after such a huge bluster.

There is a standard playbook for such situations, and it involves purging everyone around in involved in it and blaming them. Various tinpot dictators have survived proportionally larger blows.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

ronya posted:

a forecast from back in January:

https://www.rand.org/blog/2022/01/us-military-aid-to-ukraine-a-silver-bullet.html
Ukraine has turned out to do unexpectedly well, but I'm wondering if e.g. every T-72 and MiG-29 in Polish hands is going to change owners in the near future.

Tanks are not something they are in short supply of, they have one of the larger ground armour fleets out there. Aircraft assistance is unlikely, but we could see them get some more serious air defence. For example, KMW is asking government's permission to send Ukraine 50 Gepards.

As for the forecast, I'm very interested in seeing the fate of the Donbas force. I'm sure Ukrainian military planners are aware of that, though, so we'll just have to wait and see.

Tuna-Fish posted:

I have actually heard an Ukrainian say that the main reason they have been pushing for LGBT rights is probably because the Russians are pushing against them. Literally improving human rights to own the chuds.

That was one of the motivators, but they're generally also just more open-minded, since they don't have strong daddy political culture like Russia does.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Who wants to play some freedom roullete?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Dammerung posted:

I think the biggest misconception of realpolitik is the same as the biggest misconception of Machiavellianism. The misconception in both of them seems to be "act like a belligerent warmonger 24/7 because nobody can stop you and they can't handle the truth," and while I can understand the appeal to certain types of folks, well, it's inaccurate and doesn't lend itself well to nuance.

Additionally, and sadly, I've gotten notifications of LGBTQ Ukrainians desperately trying to get out of the country for fear of what Russia might do to them. It's heartbreaking.

Let me defend realpolitik/realism just a bit, but not necessarily as a full throated defense but as a caution about how this can still completely work in Putin's favor.

Imagine if Kiev holds, and the sanctions pressure Putin to call off his offensives in a week or so. Whatever Russia still has is theirs for good - if he successfully manages to make a corridor from Transnistria to Donbass, he can cut off the entire Black Sea from Ukraine. Given how things have progressed militarily this is not entirely unlikely or unrealistic, even in an optimistic Ukrainian defensive scenario. There's little chance of Ukraine taking anything back from the Russians in the long term.

Putin can then crow that he's retaken most of the Russian speaking land in Ukraine, secured the Black Sea/Crimea, and "righted" much of the historical wrongs he railed against. And all at the cost of a bit of economic growth and some Russian lives. The nationalists and right wing in Russia will be very happy with this.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Dawn of a fourth day.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Lockmart representative asking the Polish government what it would take for them to fly home today in a brand new F-35A.

0% down and can be yours for $100,000 seized Rubles/month.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The less sexy stuff is probably the most useful. Logistical support like fuel, water, MREs, trucks, field hospitals, blood plasma, etc that requires zero training to use or is interoperable / commoditized is very useful. Just basic load bearing equipment, canteens, helmets (lol) and soft body armor are all in short supply with the militia and that kind of gear makes a difference. Other high tech gear that is easy to train on is also useful: night vision devices, secure communication devices, etc. Plus intelligence support.

all this time scholz was the one helping most. i''m sorry for cyber-bullying you geerman chancellor

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Doug Ford's Ontario is also doing a performative Russian boycott by removing direct from Russia vodka from the provincial liquor store shelves. So it's not just Texas!

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

KitConstantine posted:

I don't think this is gonna go over well at the UN security council meeting tomorrow

https://twitter.com/rob_korczak/status/1497741177206026241?t=Zvu_qMB_eWukfZxx0BD1jA&s=19

As I understand it, a big part of the Cuban Missile Crisis was actually that Fidel wanted the keys to the nukes and USSR didn't want that. Putin would run into a similar situation here.

This would make dealing with the (hopefully inevitable) crumbling of Belarus or the Belarus/Russian alliance much uglier, but it doesn't really change any strategic picture much.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Stay safe Molotov making girl and shoot em up grandpa.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

im probably going to remember that 9AM eastern translates to 4AM kyiv until the day i die. why does russia prefer that time so much?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ZombieLenin posted:

Yes and given the general state of NATO funding currently, the cost of those vehicles, and both those countries proximity to all this I imagine they have extremely limited amounts if any of vehicles and planes to send over with the very high expectation of them getting destroyed.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Protesters in Tehran chant "Death to Putin" and "Viva Peace" in front of the Ukrainian embassy

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

im probably going to remember that 9AM eastern translates to 4AM kyiv until the day i die. why does russia prefer that time so much?

Probably an optimally disruptive time to strike when people are just starting to fall asleep after being up late as hell (because war/you got stuff to do/stressed out) but a bit earlier than most people normally wake up and start their day. Protest camps often got weird subversive harassment / police crackdowns around that time (give or take an hour or few) in the US in 2020/2021.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I dunno about Russia specifically but in my army time both in theatre and exercise basically every attack or movement started around then.

e: yeah for the above reasons

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I'm pretty sure that Gepard thing is KMW trying to get some built vehicles that had canceled orders sold and disposed of. I don't see how they would be all that useful to the Ukranians during the current conflict - although the Ukrainians have similar tracked multiple autocannon systems, the details of how they work is totally different and it would take at least weeks to convert a trained AAA crew, when that trained AAA crew could be manning and using a Ukranian system to shoot down Russian helicotpers.

The man-portable stuff is very much more useful as you can train a dude off the street to functionally shoot a infrared guided man portable missile in a couple days.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Concerned Citizen posted:

i would love for it to be true, but i find it really hard to believe that one of the world's largest producers of industrial metals and the country that constitutes 20% of the world's arms market is going to struggle to sustain a war for 10 days due to a lack of material.

Raw materials means absolutely loving nothing if you aren't actively producing sophisticated things like tanks, planes, or technological weapons. You can't spool up production of replacement T80s in 10 days. And who the hell knows what their logistics look like.

From my understanding, Russian arms manufacturing can produce large numbers of guns and dumb bombs. Otherwise sophisticated things like tanks are made to order.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/rossteefan/status/1497755991059812355

well gently caress

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Tuna-Fish posted:

Pointing out that Jim Crow was letting the Russians own us was a non trivial reason some US elites supported civil rights legislation.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes and given the general state of NATO funding currently, the cost of those vehicles, and both those countries proximity to all this I imagine they have extremely limited amounts if any of vehicles and planes to send over with the very high expectation of them getting destroyed.

I don’t know about that. This whole debacle has shown that the Russian Armed Forces are orders of magnitude less capable than those available to NATO.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t know about that. This whole debacle has shown that the Russian Armed Forces are orders of magnitude less capable than those available to NATO.

All militaries are incompetent, it's just a matter of degree.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497751932567494657

destroying the last remnants of my ability to generate revenue to own the ukrainians

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Who is this random guy?

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

The Kyiv accounts I've been following are all silent now, and have been for a while. I'm guessing that they had everyone turn their phones off for the night.

According to the livestream I'm on the air raid sirens are going off. I can't hear them. I am hearing jet engine noises every minute or two. I don't think they're jets.

Also loving Russian aim strikes again

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497755402926268421?t=XMc_eVRxI-8boMts03vhNg&s=19

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

There Bias Two posted:

Who is this random guy?

Software engineer with 23 followers getting zero likes on unsourced tweets lol

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure that Gepard thing is KMW trying to get some built vehicles that had canceled orders sold and disposed of. I don't see how they would be all that useful to the Ukranians during the current conflict - although the Ukrainians have similar tracked multiple autocannon systems, the details of how they work is totally different and it would take at least weeks to convert a trained AAA crew, when that trained AAA crew could be manning and using a Ukranian system to shoot down Russian helicotpers.

The man-portable stuff is very much more useful as you can train a dude off the street to functionally shoot a infrared guided man portable missile in a couple days.

It could also be simply a PR move. If it ends up happening, then it could always be a backup thing, or like fresh crews trained in Lviv or something.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The left brainworms are so bad that someone I know was saying the lightning bolt icons in breaking news tweets are a fascist dogwhistle.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

There Bias Two posted:

Who is this random guy?

Ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

KitConstantine posted:

The Kyiv accounts I've been following are all silent now, and have been for a while. I'm guessing that they had everyone turn their phones off for the night.

According to the livestream I'm on the air raid sirens are going off. I can't hear them. I am hearing jet engine noises every minute or two. I don't think they're jets.

Also loving Russian aim strikes again

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497755402926268421?t=XMc_eVRxI-8boMts03vhNg&s=19

The Russians will now spin this as the dirty bomb Ukraine was about to use, and they used it in their city!