Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

There Bias Two posted:

Who is this random guy?

Ross.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

JosefStalinator posted:

Let me defend realpolitik/realism just a bit, but not necessarily as a full throated defense but as a caution about how this can still completely work in Putin's favor.

Imagine if Kiev holds, and the sanctions pressure Putin to call off his offensives in a week or so. Whatever Russia still has is theirs for good - if he successfully manages to make a corridor from Transnistria to Donbass, he can cut off the entire Black Sea from Ukraine. Given how things have progressed militarily this is not entirely unlikely or unrealistic, even in an optimistic Ukrainian defensive scenario. There's little chance of Ukraine taking anything back from the Russians in the long term.

Putin can then crow that he's retaken most of the Russian speaking land in Ukraine, secured the Black Sea/Crimea, and "righted" much of the historical wrongs he railed against. And all at the cost of a bit of economic growth and some Russian lives. The nationalists and right wing in Russia will be very happy with this.

I think at this point given the sanctions, which are building up to "crippling" to the Russian economy; Putin absolutely needs a much more complete win at this point than *merely* linking Crimea with the Donbass PR's. It's certainly insufficient to remain in power.

My thinking is at this point Russia/Putin is in a really bad position due to badly mismanaging the war and badly playing their hand which started off as advantageous. They need a complete victory, partly so they can use Ukraine as a hostage for negotiating a renormalization with the EU/West to recover their economy; I'm not sure if there's any reason for the West to drop sanctions at this point even if Russia agrees to end their invasion, they need access to Western markets more than the West needs them.

If Ukraine's line breaks and Russia is able to occupy the country, that gives them leverage to negotiate a nominally independent Ukraine. If Ukraine holds then I think Russia has f-worded themselves significantly for years.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinRothrock/status/1497751932567494657

destroying the last remnants of my ability to generate revenue to own the ukrainians

... did someone really think it was a nuke? Grouchio did you open Twitter again?

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Protesters in Tehran chant "Death to Putin" and "Viva Peace" in front of the Ukrainian embassy

A reminder that in Arabic “death to” isn’t especially serious, more equivalent of “gently caress this”.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

There Bias Two posted:

Who is this random guy?

Looking for other sources.

https://twitter.com/spectatorindex/status/1497754677471232000

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1497755402926268421

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

More details, machine translated

https://twitter.com/OlgaNYC1211/status/1497755906431406084?t=9xNhoe4psQHG1LNxqCTY3Q&s=19

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ZombieLenin posted:

I don’t know about that. This whole debacle has shown that the Russian Armed Forces are orders of magnitude less capable than those available to NATO.

Let me give you an example.

Romania has something like 50 combat jets in total. They realistically aren't going to send them above 3 because 1. Combat jets are stupid expensive and 2. Even 3 is a fairly sizable chunk of their inventory.

Romania needs to keep all their nice poo poo handy because they are right on the doorstep of the invasion and have to be able to protect their own interests if poo poo fires off.

1-3 jets from Romania isn't going to turn the tide because even if Russia severly underpreforms they still literally have hundreds of jets and AA platforms.

Same deal with tanks.

Its just way easier to send equipment and way easier to deal with training and resupply and all that poo poo with equipment too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's in English, but I can translate it into Latvian if you want.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Got out to a peace protest near me today. 500-some turned out, hard to tell from the ground. A number of local representatives turned out to voice their support and declare that they were doing something to both address the humanitarian crisis and hold Putin responsible. Was great to see!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Y'know, I was thinking about this exact thing this morning

:love: :ukraine:

Now we just need Saint Javelin taking out an Armata à la :commissar:

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

please/

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

If you feel like it! I saw the heading was untranslated and hit post too fast.

Seems like everything is stable at the moment

https://twitter.com/IAPonomarenko/status/1497758446002716674?t=hMWmoaWE4-0d-d4121u5zQ&s=19

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Telsa Cola posted:

Let me give you an example.

Romania has something like 50 combat jets in total. They realistically aren't going to send them above 3 because 1. Combat jets are stupid expensive and 2. Even 3 is a fairly sizable chunk of their inventory.

Romania needs to keep all their nice poo poo handy because they are right on the doorstep of the invasion and have to be able to protect their own interests if poo poo fires off.

1-3 jets from Romania isn't going to turn the tide because even if Russia severly underpreforms they still literally have hundreds of jets and AA platforms.

Same deal with tanks.

Its just way easier to send equipment and way easier to deal with training and resupply and all that poo poo with equipment too.

No, I get what you are saying. I also get how events on the ground change the strategic calculus of nation states.

I think the bigger barrier to transfer of combat aircraft is the pilots. If the Ukrainian Air Force, for example, runs out of Mig-29s did they also run out of MiG-29 pilots?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

ZombieLenin posted:

No, I get what you are saying. I also get how events on the ground change the strategic calculus of nation states.

I think the bigger barrier to transfer of combat aircraft is the pilots. If the Ukrainian Air Force, for example, runs out of Mig-29s did they also run out of MiG-29 pilots?

But I learned how to be good at Wing Commander in a couple of days.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Young Freud posted:

I need Zelensky to derail this blatant opportunism by saying "Trans kids need defending too" or something.

Why would Zelensky care about this?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i heard the first part but not the second even though its the obvious conclusion lol

https://twitter.com/douglaschu_/status/1497642246203748353/

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

quarantinethepast posted:

Why would Zelensky care about this?

Who wouldn’t?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

I think there is a typo on the lower right of the picture from the video.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

loving morons

https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1497759791170691073?t=3M8kCr8lIeEzOQ0rmF6ZVg&s=19

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

ZombieLenin posted:

If the Ukrainian Air Force, for example, runs out of Mig-29s did they also run out of MiG-29 pilots?
Given that a number of planes were destroyed on the ground without pilots in them, probably not. The U.S. actually bought some Su-27s from Ukraine over a decade ago. Wonder if they're still flyable.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ZombieLenin posted:

The only way the calculus changes is if the US or France or whatever basically start shipping planes to people. Romania and Poland are not going to give out vital equipment because Russia is realistically not going to suffer significant enough losses that they no longer pose a local
threat. The Russian military situation is all sorts of hosed up but its entirely unrealistic to think that the entire Russian military is going to get so shredded by the Ukrainians that they cant force project to neighboring countries.

If the above happened it would up there for probably the worst military gently caress up in history.

Probably not, I feel like everyone learned not to do that after Japan in WW2 ran into similar issues.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

ZombieLenin posted:

They'll have retired pilots that are no longer nominally active duty that can fly them. The limitation will be the planes, not pilots.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ZombieLenin posted:

This is generally the problem with replacement systems - even if like for like, either you a) don't have trained crews for incremental systems that get sent, because usually you have enough trained crews and experts to cover the number of systems you have and not a bunch of extra, or b) you need the replacement system because the original got blown up or disabled, in which case there's a decent chance the crew manning the system were killed or incapacitated.

Now if Ukraine has a bunch of old man Fulcrum drivers twiddling their thumbs that's a different story, but I kind of doubt that's the case. that makes for a good movie but isn't realistic anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pook Good Mook posted:

They'll have retired pilots that are no longer nominally active duty that can fly them. The limitation will be the planes, not pilots.

you are severely underestimating estimating the amount of time you need to be flying a combat aircraft to maintain proficiency

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

I just caught Putin's Russian MFA tweet calling the Ukrainians holed up in the cities "Banderites" and thought, well, that's really going to resonate with a lot of people.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you are severely underestimating estimating the amount of time you need to be flying a combat aircraft to maintain proficiency

Probably but it's academic anyway. Very low likelihood that a pilot dies and his plane is flyable again.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
I think everyone is still wondering what Putin expects will happen when he eventually takes Kyiv.

Take Kyiv
???
Glory to Russia!

Installing a puppet is just going to eventually produce another Euromaidan. Or alternatively, splitting up Ukraine didn't really require taking Kyiv.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 27, 2022

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

100 hours a year minimum in the air to maintain proficiency, and even then they likely would not be competitive with much more experienced Russian pilots (though in fairness they don't exactly get a lot of training time either).

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
When was the last time two professional peer(ish) air forces fought openly? Does Armenia-Azerbaijan count?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think everyone is still wondering what Putin expects will happen when he eventually takes Kyiv.

Take Kyiv
???
Glory to Russia!

They weren't expecting it to be this difficult, I'm sure Putin would like to go back in time and undo the invasion.

At this point, Putin is riding the Tiger and can't get off. If this ends in a humiliating retreat, he's probably going to be defenestrated.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

Fill Baptismal posted:

When was the last time two professional peer(ish) air forces fought openly? Does Armenia-Azerbaijan count?

Probably the Korean War. Maybe specific engagements in Vietnam if you are generous with the criteria.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Edmund Lava posted:

A reminder that in Arabic “death to” isn’t especially serious, more equivalent of “gently caress this”.

Ok, but what about in Farsi, the main language of Iran?

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Fill Baptismal posted:

Iran-Iraq War perhaps

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Take Kyiv
???
Glory to Russia!

Installing a puppet is just going to eventually produce another Euromaidan. Or alternatively, splitting up Ukraine didn't really require taking Kyiv.

He's made it pretty clear that he wants to genocide the Ukrainian population and presumably colonize the region as a Russian territory while the tankies cheer him on, so I would assume that those would be the next steps.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Rigel posted:

They weren't expecting it to be this difficult, I'm sure Putin would like to go back in time and undo the invasion.

At this point, Putin is riding the Tiger and can't get off. If this ends in a humiliating retreat, he's probably going to be defenestrated.

Defeat probably looks like retreat after years of prolonged insurgency, I don't think Ukraine is going to be able to save Kyiv.

This war just doesn't make much sense even from a realpolitik perspective.

Yudo
May 15, 2003

Fill Baptismal posted:

I don't think it does. While neither country has a large air force, Azerbaijan--at least during the last conflict--outclassed Armenia considerably in both numbers and equipment.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Kaal posted:

He's made it pretty clear that he wants to genocide the Ukrainian population and presumably colonize the region as a Russian territory while the tankies cheer him on, so I would assume that those would be the next steps.

No that's not it either, don't let yourself be taken by hyperbolic claims.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think at this point given the sanctions, which are building up to "crippling" to the Russian economy; Putin absolutely needs a much more complete win at this point than *merely* linking Crimea with the Donbass PR's. It's certainly insufficient to remain in power.

My thinking is at this point Russia/Putin is in a really bad position due to badly mismanaging the war and badly playing their hand which started off as advantageous. They need a complete victory, partly so they can use Ukraine as a hostage for negotiating a renormalization with the EU/West to recover their economy; I'm not sure if there's any reason for the West to drop sanctions at this point even if Russia agrees to end their invasion, they need access to Western markets more than the West needs them.

If Ukraine's line breaks and Russia is able to occupy the country, that gives them leverage to negotiate a nominally independent Ukraine. If Ukraine holds then I think Russia has f-worded themselves significantly for years.

I hope you're right, but i don't think Putin is as vulnerable as we might like to think. He's spent 8 years consolidating power and purging opposition, all the while delinking the Russian economy from the global one.

I'd still live to see him strung up of course, but i think things would have to get a LOT worse for that to happen.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

No that's not it either, don't let yourself be taken by hyperbolic claims.

It's definitely not hyperbole, he's been pretty clear about what he wants to do with Ukrainian "Nazis", not to mention his utter contempt for the entire idea of a sovereign Ukraine.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

OctaMurk posted:

Iran-Iraq War perhaps

Yeah this. People forget the top F-14 ace was Iranian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Defeat probably looks like retreat after years of prolonged insurgency, I don't think Ukraine is going to be able to save Kyiv.

This war just doesn't make much sense even from a realpolitik perspective.

They can just keep whatever land in the East they want, and can certainly handle whatever lower level insurgency comes with it, probably purging/deporting dissidents to the rump remaining Ukraine. According to realist logic, that's more territory and worth it, especially once the West later stops sanctions and gets bored of punishing Russia.