Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

oh hello again margit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Astrologer chat.
sooo hype I JUST FOUND THE cheap moonlight sword knockoff!!!

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

just took down dragonkin soldier. died a bunch of times trying use a pike and then went berserker mode twohanding the bloodhound fang and quickly melted his health bar after 3 tries lol

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
invasions don't seem to work for me. i bought two of the invasion items from the hosed up little man at the gate and both times got dc'ed after a few minutes

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Thread moves fast so I'll say it again because everyone is still understandable freaking out about smithing stones. There will come a point where you can buy the level 1 and 2 stones, and quite possibly higher level ones eventually. You need an item from a boss. I was able to run through and get it done even though I was fairly underleveled for it.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
lol if Valve get this thing running better on a goddamn Steam Deck than high powered PCs before From does anything to fix the issues

https://twitter.com/Plagman2/status/1497721812699860994

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting hosed by magic. How do I get better magic defence?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

CharlestheHammer posted:

There shouldn’t be any lag so I don’t know what’s wrong with your set up

They're probably mistaking input queuing with lag. The window for inputs is ginormous in this game and has hosed me over more than a few times since a lot of movements have more recovery time than you would initially think.

Being able to cancel most poo poo into dodge or block in Sekiro has trained a lot of people wrong if that was their last FromSoft game.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Seriously why does Margit have so many tools and tries to teach you too many things at the same time? He's got combos and attacks with staggered timings and magic attacks that break through defense and big gently caress off area of effect attacks and long range attacks and he can string any of these in any order he wants and fifty gorillion hp. It's too much for one boss

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It's always been more fun but lol, co-op is hard mode now. It's so much easier solo to do almost every encounter

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
This game is not impressing me. It feels like a bunch of old cut content dropped into mini dungeons. I have no investment in the pile of proper nouns this thing tries to pass off as a story. Everything flails around so god drat much and all the little incidental movements shove you out of attack range. So much of this is just not fun.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
im going big boy slambo str planning to use twoer shields but the only one ive found so far only has 75% phys absorb and its got me steaming slightly only a little bit annoyed because the turtle shell shield i found is neat

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
accidentally fell to the bottom of stonefang castle and uhhh what is that down there

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Seriously why does Margit have so many tools and tries to teach you too many things at the same time? He's got combos and attacks with staggered timings and magic attacks that break through defense and big gently caress off area of effect attacks and long range attacks and he can string any of these in any order he wants and fifty gorillion hp. It's too much for one boss

Did you watch the video of the blonde woman embarrassing him

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Despite the game giving you no indication, hes not remotely the first boss you can or should be fighting

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
I keep hearing about using R2 attacks to stagger bosses, but.. how? I'm at Margit atm, and if I ever use an R2 after the first phase, I get hit. There just doesn't seem to be any window to do anything except -maybe- a quick R1 sometimes, and even then I often get punished out of the blue (he did the big huge swing, now's an opening.. oh wait, he just did an instant magic dagger combo). The game also seems to love faking attack times, which I find a bit weird. Like sometimes bosses start up a swing, you dodge.. and they instead keep delaying in place & hitting you after. Margit even does it mid-air, just hangs in there for a moment & if you don't know he's going to do it, you're poo poo out of luck dodging that.

Maybe I should use dex stuff and quick weapons instead, feels like heavy twohanders are a really bad idea for bosses here.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Have never played a souls game before, despite buying one on sale.

I have learned how to skulk around and stab basic-rear end soldiers in the back. I can shoot a blue gleamy pebble thing out of a staff. I have a horse that I use for fleeing. I have died a lot. Sometimes I can block, can't parry worth a poo poo. I fight like a total loving coward, and I plan to change that probably never. Did I metnion I die a lot? This owns, and I don't know what any of these loving numbers mean.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ok, where the gently caress is Blaidd after he fucks off to look for the city. Buddy, I have a witch who wants everyone to die to work for

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Barudak posted:

Despite the game giving you no indication, hes not remotely the first boss you can or should be fighting

I fought the silly looking watch dog or whatever in a catacombs and I found a warp to fight another silly looking dog soldier with bleed buildup but I couldn't kill it, what else could I fight right now?

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
i feel like i had a brainwave when fighting the bloodhound knight

these humanoid enemies who have a million spinny combos freak me out but the secret is just to slow down and dodge later

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dropbear posted:

I keep hearing about using R2 attacks to stagger bosses, but.. how? I'm at Margit atm, and if I ever use an R2 after the first phase, I get hit. There just doesn't seem to be any window to do anything except -maybe- a quick R1 sometimes, and even then I often get punished out of the blue (he did the big huge swing, now's an opening.. oh wait, he just did an instant magic dagger combo). The game also seems to love faking attack times, which I find a bit weird. Like sometimes bosses start up a swing, you dodge.. and they instead keep delaying in place & hitting you after. Margit even does it mid-air, just hangs in there for a moment & if you don't know he's going to do it, you're poo poo out of luck dodging that.

Maybe I should use dex stuff and quick weapons instead, feels like heavy twohanders are a really bad idea for bosses here.

Jump + R2 does a ton of poise damage. Block + R2 also does a lot, but it's riskier (wait until the end of a combo).

The other important thing about staggering is that you need to keep hitting the boss, or else its stagger meter resets. Any hit at all will keep the meter up, even just throwing a rock at it.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

veni veni veni posted:

I literally can’t progress this dungeon becasue some troll put a message on a lever.

Actually I’m kind of starting to hate the messages in general and wish I could just turn them off without turning off the other online stuff. They poo poo up the aesthetic and 99.9% of them are some no assed unfunny joke. Neat feature but I’m over it.

I think at this point every mushroom and tree has a proper player message in front of it. Also 80% of all but hole has been identified.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Dropbear posted:

I don't know the ins and outs yet but as far as i can tell, R2s will damage an enemy's poise by varying amounts. Jumping R2s seems to do the most esp. on enemies with heads, fully charged R2s will do the second most (you can poisebreak a lot of humanoid mobs w a fully charged R2), and regular R2s do a little poise damage.

E.g. with the big glowing minotaur things, if i do two leaping R2s one after another, it breaks their poise and i can immediately crit them. When i fought Godrick, stringing jump-R2s seemed to poisebreak him faster than anything else i tried.

Of course because I'm punching i have to hug everyone's nuts super tight so being more aggressive was pretty easy to pick up on

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey thread, I think I’m missing something, how do I two hand weapons? I did it once by accident but it’s not in the controller guide and I think I missed the dedicated “this is how you do X” part of the tutorial.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Hey thread, I think I’m missing something, how do I two hand weapons? I did it once by accident but it’s not in the controller guide and I think I missed the dedicated “this is how you do X” part of the tutorial.

Hold Y/triangle and hit R1/RB

That hosed me up too until someone told me what to do in chat lol

dodgeblan
Jul 20, 2019
there's a lot of really bad messages but there's still enough good or genuinely funny ones that i like it overall

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I love all the messages, good and bad :shobon:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Hold Y/triangle and hit R1/RB

That hosed me up too until someone told me what to do in chat lol

Thanks!

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm watching my in-law force his wretch through the first area as the first thing he did was club White Faced Varre in the face who kept killing him with his bouquet of fire and bees, and now he's getting his rear end whooped by gremlins and the Erdtree Watchdog. I'm laughing my rear end off.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Firstly, you have no right

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Special thanks to good goon goferchan who saw my post about my kid’s machine not meeting the minimum requirements and offering me an incredible deal on a 1060 so we could co-op together. Got the card today and we’ve been having a great time.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I've seen it asked tons here but no real reply unless it sailed past. here is how to buy smithing stones 1 and 2 in detail.

From the Lake-Facing cliffs bonfire north of Stormveil castle, head directly north into the water and hug the cliffs to the right. At this time it'd be a good idea to nab both lake maps, they are fairly easy to get and not very dangerous. They appear as little knobs on the unexplored segments of the map if you didn't already know.

Hug the cliffs on the right, progress through the forest with the flower-type enemies. keep going. You'll eventually come across a part of the wall that juts out and is populated by squids. keep pushing through. You should see/hear the four-legged bell cadereal thing. Keep an eye on the right, the coast will expand out from the wall a little bit just past the squid area and the entrance to the caves against the wall on this shore.

Inside are lots of magic diggers and magic mages. the mages can be a pain, but you can sorta creep your way through once you know the way. I figured it out the way dying twice in the process. The mages can be dangerous but go down easy to backstabbing. Near the end there is three of those four-armed caged foes, you can lure the sword guy back the way you came to deal with him, and the easily enough dispatch the archers if you brought a greatshield like me :)

After that i think the only other enemy of note is one of the bigger magic-spear dudes, but again he was easy enough to backstab. The boss itself (the Crystilian) is also vulnerable to backstabs, and it is easy to avoid the attacks. back up when it does the spin-to-win move. If you attack it and do a tiny amount of damage do not get discouraged, this boss has some kind of shield mechanic (not sure, killed it first try) and after i performed two backstabs and one of those criticals the shield broke and i was chunking off an 1/8 of the health bar per swing with a +7 lordsworn greatsword.

Killing the boss gives you the Smithing-Stone Miner's Bell Bearing, which you give to Twin Madien Husks at the round table area to unlock the stones for purchase.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

I literally can’t progress this dungeon becasue some troll put a message on a lever.

Actually I’m kind of starting to hate the messages in general and wish I could just turn them off without turning off the other online stuff. They poo poo up the aesthetic and 99.9% of them are some no assed unfunny joke. Neat feature but I’m over it.

If there's multiple things you can interact with you can scroll through them to use the lever.

Hey From, I'm begging you on hands and knees to let me toggle the absolutely god awful, trash tier buffer system you have going on. I'd literally pay for it at this point.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

So where does a bitch find some poison knives

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Dropbear posted:

I used a twohanded greatsword during that fight and probably got two stagger critical attacks in on my winning run. He is a particularly hard boss to learn that mechanic on because his tells for when it's safe to attack are very tricky -- generally though what I did was create distance by running )not dodging) much as possible, and then head back in with a jumping R2 when the coast was clear. While there's not a meter or anything to verify this seems to be the second-best way to build up stagger on enemies outside of fully-charged R2s which he gives you very very few opportunities for. Some weapon arts will do it too though, anecdotally it seems like the ones that deliver one heavy hit as opposed to lots of little ones are most effective. I've been using the piercing thrust one on my greatsword because even outside of its intended purpose with shielded enemies it's nice to have an attack with a lot of reach in a pinch.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Last Celebration posted:

On Xbox controller: hold Y and hit R1 (or L1) to twohand the weapon n those respective hands. Presumably it's triangle on a ps, no idea for kb+b tho

e: hesitation is defeat
e:e: huh, you can drink a potion while on a ladder that's handy

a kitten fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 27, 2022

Destro
Dec 29, 2003

time to wake up
I have a question about a certain katana made for INT users putting in spoilers in case anyone doesn't know about it. So is the Moonveil Katana worth pumping up the dex to use for an INT user? It looks like it might be but I don't know if I should commit the runes to use it.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

got the burger king helmet, awesome

rennala second phase is kind of annoying, even though i can dodge the magic okay, she is just endless spamming it

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lid posted:

Anyone else stumbled on Dragonkin Soldier while exploring Siofra?
this whole area is absolutely wild

just one bizarre new thing after another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Made it to the boss in Redmane Castle and I'm getting my rear end kicked, hard. pubbies/summons, assuming I manage to snag one before getting "unable to summon" die pretty quick to them and the knight's 2nd phase is a real motherfucker. Now I'm not getting any summons and lol at trying this solo