Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Armored Kossars have served me best as skirmishers in front of my main line. Switch on auto-pullback, and let them get off a couple volleys then pull back through the main line to let Tsar Guard eat any charges and bog down enemies. Then use up the rest of their ammo on any fliers or circling cav and have them join in any fighting on the front. They aren't a replacement to true frontliners, they're a supplement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Would be hard for me to go back to 2, the QoL changes are massive in places.

Yeah I'm kind of stuck because I don't like TWW3's campaign but stuff like "diplomacy doesn't suck poo poo out of an rear end" and various other conveniences make the thought of playing TWW2 painful.

neonchameleon posted:

Are you serious? Armoured Kossars are huge. More acccurately they are the anvil Kislev needs. Armour 80, 55% missile block chance, MD 38 (rather than 28). By contrast Kossars are MD 28, armour 15, and no missile block chance. Armoured kossars take less than a quarter of the damage from non-AP shooting that basic kossars do and so a mixed kossar/armoured kossar force utterly mulches pure kossars (or blue horrors).

Honestly on VH/VH I had more success running pure kossars and simply checkerboarding the frontline so the enemies got stuck only engaging a couple units at a time(like you'd do with shade or sister doomstacks in TWW2) than actually trying to run an armored kossar frontline. The normal kossars die faster, but the tradeoff is that any kossar unit that is not engaged is pouring tons of ranged DPS out and your initial barrage on the enemy approach is much stronger with ~15 kossars rather than, say, 9 kossars and 6 armored kossars. Early game, you don't really need an anvil when the enemy units that do hit your line are shredded to bits and pieces.

Shields help against tzeentch missile fire, but so does having your own missile fire counter-firing - kossars can focus fire and gun down units of blue horrors before they even get into range. None of the other factions you regularly fight as Kislev actually deploy large missile presences beyond...other Kislevites, who you should stop fighting around turn 15 at the latest.

Armored Kossars have opportunity costs, too - they're more expensive to recruit and maintain, and they require you to build the barracks line(which is full of mediocre, overpriced units) in a faction that is starved for building slots because of the need to build churches and econ buildings everywhere(and garrisons on border-adjacent provinces). I'd just stick with kossar blobs until I can get tzar guard(who are actually a ludicrous anvil who will hold forever even against elite AP infantry due to their titanic melee defense and dwarf leadership) and ice guard(who are just super saiyan kossars) out.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
N'kari is the best because they threaten the player directly.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Honestly with the combination of portals bringing in enemies randomly and the supply lines bug I don't know how I can do anything but wall up each and every oblast region. Maybe I can leave one free, but until I can safely recruit and disband emergency lords I can't imagine it. Maybe I'm being paranoid frol WH1 and 2.

Is there ever any reason to field an Ataman? They seem like Boyars who can occasionally gain traits that help them on the battlefield at the expense of actually helping them manage the province. Why not just field a boyar then?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

In terms of DLC I'd really like to see Albion released as a full faction. It'd make a lot of sense in-game too since they were the ones who killed Belakor the last go around, and they have a lot of units that would play a lot differently than other human based factions. Lots of giants, lots of low-grade magic users, and line units relying more on stalk + snipe than other factions. Probably won't happen but it would be cool.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

In terms of DLC I'd really like to see Albion released as a full faction. It'd make a lot of sense in-game too since they were the ones who killed Belakor the last go around, and they have a lot of units that would play a lot differently than other human based factions. Lots of giants, lots of low-grade magic users, and line units relying more on stalk + snipe than other factions. Probably won't happen but it would be cool.

I liked them in the OvN mod at least. Would love CA's take on them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Carcer posted:

N'kari is the best because they threaten the player directly.

N’Kari’s campaign has been very fun overall. N’Kari is also up there with Skarbrand as a terrifying combat Lord.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Armored kossars do best when defending a town since you have a limited space for front line troops and extra space for range troops.

I don't know if they can fire while advancing like the empires troops but just assume that they are getting a single volley off before attacking and are midtier melee troops.

And use them to flank to the side to shoot the sides of the enemy or to rush down any range units.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
They cannot fire while moving - being able to do so would make them a fair bit better.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I liked them in the OvN mod at least. Would love CA's take on them.

They tick a lot of boxes on the Things CA Seem To Like list:
✔ Chariots
✔ Varied Lord Mounts
✔ Dogs
✔ Giants
✔ Cheap Cav
✔ Caster Lords

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I like Armoured Kossars a lot. Their guns seem good and they can go at it with fellow Kislevites and Norscans pretty well so they're fine for most of the early enemies. Khorne especially seems to own me when I use a lot of them but then his guys are all about tearing through infantry anyway so probably just me being bad.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

Ravenfood posted:

Honestly with the combination of portals bringing in enemies randomly and the supply lines bug I don't know how I can do anything but wall up each and every oblast region. Maybe I can leave one free, but until I can safely recruit and disband emergency lords I can't imagine it. Maybe I'm being paranoid frol WH1 and 2.

Just get heroes to close the portals before you get any enemies. It only costs 1500 gold / portal

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

I like Armoured Kossars a lot. Their guns seem good and they can go at it with fellow Kislevites and Norscans pretty well so they're fine for most of the early enemies. Khorne especially seems to own me when I use a lot of them but then his guys are all about tearing through infantry anyway so probably just me being bad.

half of khorne is physical resistance and the other half is heavily armored and shielded

so yah, great weapons help, but oof

Sleds on the other hand run over khorne.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Third World Reagan posted:

half of khorne is physical resistance and the other half is heavily armored and shielded

so yah, great weapons help, but oof

Sleds on the other hand run over khorne.

The correct answer to all Kislev problems is: more bear.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
If armored Kossars could move while shooting it would be so helpful for rolling up on control points on town maps. Honestly it feels like a late game research unlock or a level 20 legendary lord skill.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

Is there ever any reason to field an Ataman? They seem like Boyars who can occasionally gain traits that help them on the battlefield at the expense of actually helping them manage the province. Why not just field a boyar then?
I've only played Kislev so far; unless a minor settlement is in a chokepoint I dont built defensive buildings at all now. I've pulled off some bullshit autoresolve settlement *sallies* with the bog standard T3 settlement garrison. This may not be something that lasts as the game gets tuned. Another thing that probably wont last is the AI taking 10 turns to siege a settlement down before assaulting, allowing me to get a reserve army there. I'll worry about this less once the Supply Lines bug is fixed.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Just get heroes to close the portals before you get any enemies. It only costs 1500 gold / portal
This is what I do and its worth every penny. Especially as Kislev because Patriarchs are cheap to recruit and your cap on them his astronomical.

Gonkish posted:

The correct answer to all Kislev problems is: more bear.
I finally did it!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
Are we going to get regiments of renown in this game? I missed being able to have an 'elite' variant of each unit that had some fun gimmick.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Panfilo posted:

Are we going to get regiments of renown in this game? I missed being able to have an 'elite' variant of each unit that had some fun gimmick.

They will come with the dlc.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Panfilo posted:

yes they always come with DLC

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If Soulgrinders are sorta like a Bone Giant, Nurgles roster could really use a Ushabti greatbow type unit, something with a few models at a cheaper price and a short range attack, preferably with anti-air fire.

Man do Gyrocopters just destroy the entire Nurgle roster, I don't even want to think about hawkriders or a woodelf skirmishing force.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Where dwarves gets 3 slots for runes, chorfs will get 3 slots for hat combinations. They will use the daemon Prince tech to actually change the unit model. This is the goal.

CA plz

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If Soulgrinders are sorta like a Bone Giant, Nurgles roster could really use a Ushabti greatbow type unit, something with a few models at a cheaper price and a short range attack, preferably with anti-air fire.

Man do Gyrocopters just destroy the entire Nurgle roster, I don't even want to think about hawkriders or a woodelf skirmishing force.

In Fantasy the newest infantry addition to Nurgle during the end times were not the Putrid Blightking, Nurglite elite Chaos Warriors. They have the option to be given Deaths Heads like the Plague Drones, which gives them a short range shooting attack. I could see Blightkings with Deaths Heads being a future unit.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

is there a reason why guard stance keeps being toggled for my units even after I've gone into the settings to switch it off?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

SirPhoebos posted:

is there a reason why guard stance keeps being toggled for my units even after I've gone into the settings to switch it off?

You have to apply the settings after toggling it off for it to take effect. Had the same issue earlier.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Broken Cog posted:

You have to apply the settings after toggling it off for it to take effect. Had the same issue earlier.

I did apply the setting. But I'm still fighting battles wondering why the gently caress my cavalry is sitting at the starting point after I ordered them forward and it turns out they stopped the second the troops they targeted fell back slightly.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Ravenfood posted:

My inclination is no, you should never field an Ataman. Once they've been in place for more than a few turns, they gain all of the various dilemma bonuses. When you field them, they're no longer that province's Ataman - you have to then slot in a new one. If you recruit them, you basically lose them.

I think bugs have completely broken my Kislev campaign. First I couldn't do the intercept mission to stop the Khorne faction. I went back several turns to replay the scenario. The bug was that they got a fourth soul while I was in a chaos realm, so I couldn't intercept them because the portals didn't spawn or work properly. I replayed it such that I got out of the chaos realm before they got the fourth soul, then intercepted Skarbrand, but then I got stuck in the forge of souls (was not automatically removed after defeating him, quest to intercept never updated). I was able to use the portal in the forge to then move to the Nurgle realm, the last one I needed. I did the Nurgle realm thing, but when I finished, it never moved me out. The Boris quest popped during all of this, so I tried to teleport there to escape Nurgle, but after freeing Boris, Katarin was then returned to the completed Nurgle realm... I guess I'll have her camp out and wait for another roar to see if she can then use the portals inside the Nurgle realm to escape back to the regular world. I'm pretty sure this campaign is hosed one way or another.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if the missing dragon sibling was a concept created for the tabletop. I know they said 4 of them have been lost to time, a conceit for you to make your own I imagine. Would explain the end of the Cathayan campaign if that isn't dlc. Basically a big sign saying AND THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES during that cutscene.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

SirPhoebos posted:

I did apply the setting. But I'm still fighting battles wondering why the gently caress my cavalry is sitting at the starting point after I ordered them forward and it turns out they stopped the second the troops they targeted fell back slightly.

Are you putting them into formation locked control groups? I noticed that doing that puts the units in guard stance automatically.

I can sort of see why the did that since in the previous games if hounds or something charged a single unit in a locked formation they'd then chase the broken unit and be out of position. I only use it to move my army around before the actual fighting starts then put them into an unlocked control group if I want to keep track of them easily.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Aurubin posted:

I wonder if the missing dragon sibling was a concept created for the tabletop. I know they said 4 of them have been lost to time, a conceit for you to make your own I imagine. Would explain the end of the Cathayan campaign if that isn't dlc. Basically a big sign saying AND THE ADVENTURE CONTINUES during that cutscene.

I'm guessing it's an opening for future dlc

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's a shame the chaos realms are so hit and miss, Khorne and slaanesh add some useful options, you can go have field fights against LLs in murderbowl and pick up some force multiplier weapons or fish for gamechanging buffs in the Palace.

But as the focus of the campaign they suck to navigate and the soul battles are so tedious ill skip them all from now on probably

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

kanonvandekempen posted:

I'm guessing it's an opening for future dlc

I... actually doubt it? There's three more "whereabouts known" siblings plus the Monkey King, that gets Cathay up to six total lords without accounting for a possible curveball. I wouldn't rule it out entirely but it doesn't seem like anything we'd see for several years.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My ratings for the Chaos Realms go like this.

Khorne: Fun, pretty easy. the battle map with the blood pool is really awesome and I have a tonne of fun on it. it's a huge amount of gold and experience as you REJOICE IN THE GLORY OF COMBAT! His Survival battle is also pretty loving easy, due to how orderly the actual map is, it's pretty easy to set up kill lanes and not have to worry about losing out. There are the weapons, but I didn't bother going for them.

Slaanesh: Very easy, very few battles, all you have to do is click no, and if you do click yes it's probably with something stupid loving broken. The maps are... not the best, but they also aren't the worst, I personally think this is the second 'hardest' map but that's mostly just because it isn't as clear where the reinforcement points are like Khorne or Nurgle.

Nurgle: Boring. Mostly, If the bonuses and boons you got were permanent it'd be more interesting but as it stands run across the map to a specified place, run to the mansion. It's pretty easy because Nurgle... sucks blatantly. It's not hard it's just annoying.

Tzeentch: Get a map, and do this one first, If you do him anything but first his armies will be chock full of bullshit, his survival map is bullshit and has like a billion reinforcement points. Just loving pull up a cheat sheet, bee-line the keep (since the boons are all poo poo) and auto resolve it, get out. gently caress Tzeentch, gently caress his armies, gently caress his gameplay. gently caress Tzeentch.

All of this is truly hurt though by the fact that it's a race so you can't just take it at your own pace. But if it wasn't a race you'd have no push to like... ever go to Nurgle or Tzeentch.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Is tzeentchs teleport points not randomized every time?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eschatos posted:

Is tzeentchs teleport points not randomized every time?

NOPE!

There are two paths chosen at random depending on which faction you're playing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/syr0uh/the_chaos_realms_tips_and_ai_cheats/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Onmi posted:

NOPE!

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/syr0uh/the_chaos_realms_tips_and_ai_cheats/

Huh. Guess I'm using this guide forever then.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

Onmi posted:

NOPE!

Wow, thanks for that!
As an aside, has anyone successfully threatened the AI into an agreement?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

smug jeebus posted:

Wow, thanks for that!
As an aside, has anyone successfully threatened the AI into an agreement?

I had it work getting one Cathay to confederate with me playing as The Good Kid, other than that nope and the reputation hit is huge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ravenfood posted:

I thought they did very little ranged AP but did decent melee AP, at least the great weapon variant.

Armor and AP both seem significantly rarer this time around and generally cost a premium to boot.

No they're gunpowder so they do ranged AP too, pretty sure a fairly decent amount as well. They only get a limited number of shots so they're not quite free company levels of plinking fire.

E: there are better options for both their roles, streltsy have better guns and similar armour, and tsar guard and better melee fighters, but armoured kossars are available earlier and can do both roles quite well, leaving you more room in the army for other units such as ice guard (which you want for slowing and ranged arcing fire) and whatever else you want to fill it with, personally I would probably add just more ice guard but that's me.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Feb 27, 2022

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

orangelex44 posted:

I... actually doubt it? There's three more "whereabouts known" siblings plus the Monkey King, that gets Cathay up to six total lords without accounting for a possible curveball. I wouldn't rule it out entirely but it doesn't seem like anything we'd see for several years.

The Monkey King gets a loading screen blurb that says that Cathayan descriptions of him vary; in the north he's a very angry gorrila, in the east he's a perpetually randy baboon, in the south he's a orangutan swollen with buboes, and in the west he's a tricky spider monkey.

Signs point towards him being a chaos undivided lord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Vagabong posted:

The Monkey King gets a loading screen blurb that says that Cathayan descriptions of him vary; in the north he's a very angry gorrila, in the east he's a perpetually randy baboon, in the south he's a orangutan swollen with buboes, and in the west he's a tricky spider monkey.

Signs point towards him being a chaos undivided lord.

apparently that's some dude called the Changeling messing up his reputation