Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How does co-op work this time around? What restrictions are there? Can you still play with whoever through passwords, like in 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Azran posted:

How does co-op work this time around? What restrictions are there? Can you still play with whoever through passwords, like in 3?

There's not only passwords, you can have up to 6 group tags and it'll prioritize them over regular matchmaking

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
knight artorias has reached his final evolutionary form

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I just want to appreciate how well done the music is in this. I wasn't sure what to think when I heard there would be ambient music for the whole game, as opposed to previous games which only had boss music. But man, like everything else, they nailed it. It's especially good how seamlessly the music ramps up in intensity between just walking around and actively engaging an enemy.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

goferchan posted:

I had a buddy do that and his trip report was pretty funny

he loving sprinted right past the tutorial hole and out into the open world with the default keyboard and mouse controls, i'm pretty sure had i not hopped on a voice chat with him i would've met up with a broken man tomorrow

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

goferchan posted:

I used a twohanded greatsword during that fight and probably got two stagger critical attacks in on my winning run. He is a particularly hard boss to learn that mechanic on because his tells for when it's safe to attack are very tricky -- generally though what I did was create distance by running )not dodging) much as possible, and then head back in with a jumping R2 when the coast was clear. While there's not a meter or anything to verify this seems to be the second-best way to build up stagger on enemies outside of fully-charged R2s which he gives you very very few opportunities for. Some weapon arts will do it too though, anecdotally it seems like the ones that deliver one heavy hit as opposed to lots of little ones are most effective. I've been using the piercing thrust one on my greatsword because even outside of its intended purpose with shielded enemies it's nice to have an attack with a lot of reach in a pinch.

Cheers! Two criticals doesn't really seem worth going for, since with my pickaxe I've never once gotten him to stagger at all yet. R2s are so slow that I can only get them in at the first phase, and even then uncharged. I've done plenty of block counters, but no dice, the meter probably resets when he's hopping around. Second phase is just a complete crapshoot, I can't even track what's happening half the time when he spams attacks non-stop and getting a quick r1 in without being instamurdered in retaliation seems like a miracle.

Ah well, still got him to around 25%. My weapon is fairly low level, didn't want to spend many resources on a pickaxe I might not end up using later on, but screw it, upgrading it further should help.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Dropbear posted:

I keep hearing about using R2 attacks to stagger bosses, but.. how? I'm at Margit atm, and if I ever use an R2 after the first phase, I get hit. There just doesn't seem to be any window to do anything except -maybe- a quick R1 sometimes, and even then I often get punished out of the blue (he did the big huge swing, now's an opening.. oh wait, he just did an instant magic dagger combo). The game also seems to love faking attack times, which I find a bit weird. Like sometimes bosses start up a swing, you dodge.. and they instead keep delaying in place & hitting you after. Margit even does it mid-air, just hangs in there for a moment & if you don't know he's going to do it, you're poo poo out of luck dodging that.

Maybe I should use dex stuff and quick weapons instead, feels like heavy twohanders are a really bad idea for bosses here.

Are you using a shield? Are you using a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage? Block with the shield, R2 immediately after. The bosses won't stagger immediately but as mentioned their invisible poise meter will be affected.

Or at any time jump and R2. Or at any time hold R2 for a stronger hit.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

terrorist ambulance posted:

The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster

god bless you

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!

huh posted:

Are you using a shield? Are you using a shield that blocks 100% of physical damage? Block with the shield, R2 immediately after. The bosses won't stagger immediately but as mentioned their invisible poise meter will be affected.

Or at any time jump and R2. Or at any time hold R2 for a stronger hit.

Yeah, using a 100% shield and been doing a lot of countering at phase 1. Countering seemingly anything at phase 2 just gets me killed in return, he's just non-stop spamming.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Feb 27, 2022

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

This game is absolutely massive and so far I've been loving every minute of it. I've also started writing down notes.

Somehow ended up in a place called Siofra River and holy poo poo the elevator ride took a good while to get down there. That place has an underground night sky and dammit its huge and beautiful.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Genuinely despise how so many enemies have backhops or spacing built into the majority of their attacks, and you just have to sit there waiting for the one where they gormlessly stand around to attack. Meanwhile 3 of their friends are doing the same poo poo.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Psychepath posted:

Genuinely despise how so many enemies have backhops or spacing built into the majority of their attacks, and you just have to sit there waiting for the one where they gormlessly stand around to attack. Meanwhile 3 of their friends are doing the same poo poo.

There's no need to worry about enemies being gormless, there's an item you can use later that fills your Gorm Gauge that's hinted at by an NPC in a cave

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Psychepath posted:

in this same vein, gently caress you fromsoft for putting those dragonflies in the game.

its just what i want to do, sit around forever wait for an opportunity to one shot the fucker.

I'm speccing into endurance to up my equipload so i can offhand a crossbow for garbage like this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Delorence Fickle posted:

Somehow ended up in a place called Siofra River and holy poo poo the elevator ride took a good while to get down there. That place has an underground night sky and dammit its huge and beautiful.

Wait to you unlock its creepy as hell sisters

Idiot Doom Spiral
Jan 2, 2020

tak posted:

Is there a way to run away from/cheese the NPC invader when you jump down at the roundtable hub?

Or can I summon for it or something? I have no ranged and he's absolutely owning me. Gets through my 100% shield too

Are those runes down there just lost until I can beat him? I think all the doors are locked and the side room is a dead end

In case you're still on this: No, but he's Friede mk II. Meaning his weakness is a lack of poise, and the only way to negate his attacks is with well-timed dodges.

You barely even need the latter though if you just use a weapon with a tiny bit of reach (straight sword weapon art was enough for me). Line it up so you hit him with it when he's pushing towards you, whack him 1-2 times max, reset, and do it again. With some breaks to either just dodge or punish the spells the same way (lil bit risky, but you'll get the hang of it). I'm not very good and I beat him readily after 10-ish deaths just trying different things to probe out a weakness.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

terrorist ambulance posted:

The skill is "buckler parry" rather than "parry", which suggests there's a difference. The elden ring wiki says the small shield parry is faster
traditionally in these games there's several different levels of parry, with things like small shields and parrying daggers having either faster startup, more active parry frames, or both. it's early enough that the wiki might not know exactly what is better about small shield parries but there's no chance they aren't better in at least one way.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm in my 40s with a +8 weapon and haven't touched Stormveil.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Does anyone remember which vendor has babies first sorcery stick, I can't find it for the life of me.

Spades
Sep 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

There shouldn’t be any lag so I don’t know what’s wrong with your set up

Try rolling backwards against a large enemy while also blocking - I'm using a xbonex controller. Seems like it just doesn't roll at all - I hear that it's potentially that your sprint action gets queued because the cooldown from tapping is being skipped due to dropped frames.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

a lot of goons are in their 40s, this site is pretty old

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

The fact that the hawks with blades for legs can’t fly around freely is hilarious. Is it a bug? They follow stairs and paths or get stuck behind barrels until they slash them.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the tedious but easy way of dealing with him is twirl around him until he decides to whip out his two spin special attack, stand just far enough so the second hit whiffs, then close on him (or use a thrust with reach) for a hit. the real solution is wait until you have geared up a bit more, it feels like the guy had more health than margit and he has one heal in his pocket, too.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
How can I add poison to a throwing dagger?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

traditionally in these games there's several different levels of parry, with things like small shields and parrying daggers having either faster startup, more active parry frames, or both. it's early enough that the wiki might not know exactly what is better about small shield parries but there's no chance they aren't better in at least one way.

that's what he's saying though, the buckler at least has specifically a different skill called "buckler parry" that explicitly says it's faster than a normal parry. there still may be some variance between all the other shields that share the same generic "parry" skill but there's one concrete, visible example of one that's faster.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Orv posted:

Does anyone remember which vendor has babies first sorcery stick, I can't find it for the life of me.

I don't know if anyone sells the very basic catalyst, but if you go to Weeping Peninsula there's a ruin westish that has an overworld boss that drops a 6 str, 10 int catalyst which is similar

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Yeah, gave it a couple more tries and it seems like a hard stat wall. In second phase he just spams so much that even if I dodge literally everything, I run out of stamina before he lets up for a split second & his next 462 attacks in a row demolish me. Blocking is even worse of a stamina-sink.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

As someone who isn't using magic, should I invest in MIND if I want more FP? Or should I stick with alloting a wee bit of blue estus? I only have 10 MIND so if I use a summon, that's 80% of it in one go.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Psychepath posted:

Yeah, especially with bosses. It's pretty annoying.

Currently on Leonine Misbegotten. Everything he does tracks you stupidly, pivots on loving everything, will cancel his animations if you hit him during some openings, his sword might as well be a club with some of the bullshit hitboxes it has and you can barely space yourself because every single attack he has just brings him closer to you really fast.

A lot of this game really feels like, "Strike once, wait for the perfect opening after a length string of 6 hits that will combo the poo poo out of you if you're caught in it, strike once and never think about doing multiple hits because you'll be hosed."

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dropbear posted:

Yeah, gave it a couple more tries and it seems like a hard stat wall. In second phase he just spams so much that even if I dodge literally everything, I run out of stamina before he lets up for a split second & his next 462 attacks in a row demolish me. Blocking is even worse of a stamina-sink.

I mean, not really. If you're rolling that much, then it would be better to roll away and try to distance yourself during those combos so you don't have to individually dodge roll every attack.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've been lucky and have gotten through everything with how I played DS3: r1 spam and rolling. Except I have to block now occasionally and use a shield

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dropbear posted:

Try to keep him at one end of the arena or the other. The second you see him pull out a longsword during phase two, dodge away twice to the other end of the arena and then sprint to outrange it. It's rarely worth it to try and dodge through his multihit combos. This is an effective way of dealing with most bosses that have absurd combo chains, especially branching combos.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

What the gently caress. Mid game boss spoiler loving DRACONIC tree sentinel. that's some bullshit.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

sigher posted:

Currently on Leonine Misbegotten. Everything he does tracks you stupidly, pivots on loving everything, will cancel his animations if you hit him during some openings, his sword might as well be a club with some of the bullshit hitboxes it has and you can barely space yourself because every single attack he has just brings him closer to you really fast.

A lot of this game really feels like, "Strike once, wait for the perfect opening after a length string of 6 hits that will combo the poo poo out of you if you're caught in it, strike once and never think about doing multiple hits because you'll be hosed."
this guy is one of the parryable bosses btw(and is also ripostable)

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Do console players also have the thing where the framerate drops as you cross seams between loading zones or whatever? Or is that only on PC?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

IronicDongz posted:

this guy is one of the parryable bosses btw(and is also ripostable)

to add on top of that, i don't think there's anything in this game that's entirely immune to being poise broken, even if most things will die before you get them there (and stuff like the birds don't seem to have an applicable riposte). embrace your inner sekiro and break those fuckers poise for a deathblow!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

sigher posted:

it's what gets me in trouble for sure. but after that video of pro margit i'm trying to adjust my playstyle to the combat system. i wish it was like sekiro and you could parry easily and dodge cancel and have better i-frames and non of this input queue stuff.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

If you're waiting through a boss's entire attack chain instead of starting to attack once you're behind them, that's why everything takes forever and is not fun.

Jump attacks are pretty quick even for slow weapons.

Wait for the attack to roll, don't roll when they lift their weapon.

Use summons and stuff.

Get more vigor, damage stats don't help very much in the early game.

Use poison. A lot of bosses aren't immune and there's a reason the jellyfish is one of the first summons they give you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lakbay posted:

I don't know if anyone sells the very basic catalyst, but if you go to Weeping Peninsula there's a ruin westish that has an overworld boss that drops a 6 str, 10 int catalyst which is similar

Oh neat, thanks.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

KidDynamite posted:

it's what gets me in trouble for sure. but after that video of pro margit i'm trying to adjust my playstyle to the combat system. i wish it was like sekiro and you could parry easily and dodge cancel and have better i-frames and non of this input queue stuff.

Stop mashing buttons and the input queue won't hurt. The game isn't a button masher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cowcaster posted:

to add on top of that, i don't think there's anything in this game that's entirely immune to being poise broken, even if most things will die before you get them there (and stuff like the birds don't seem to have an applicable riposte). embrace your inner sekiro and break those fuckers poise for a deathblow!

like, i poise broke a giant flower once