Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Evil Willow posted:

Adoptive mum said no to being in the bridal party, not the current wife.

Odd, I wonder what kind of relationship the daughter has with OP's current wife. If only we had some context clues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for making my co-workers think I’m married?

BUT C'S JUST A NICE GUY

drat, OP, if C knew you were single, he could've been hitting on you for YEARS! How dare you take that away from him.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for refusing to answer to a nickname I don’t like?

quote:

Throwaway account and fake names. I don’t think I’m TAH here but one of my coworkers does and we both follow this reddit, so we’re letting reddit decide.

I (28F) was named after a really obscure character from Greek Mythology. My preferred nickname is taken from the end of my name. I always introduce myself with “I’m (my name) but you can call me (nickname).” None of my coworkers in the small business we work for have ever had a problem with this before, until Megan(25F), the niece of Jeff(50sM) one of the two owners, was hired. Jeff and Dave(50sM) co-own the business but Dave does the actual day to day running of the business. I introduced myself and my nickname as usual but she immediately said that “Bessie” (not the actual name) would be a better nickname because it comes from the beginning of my name and that she liked it better. I told her I really didn’t like that nickname and wouldn’t answer to it and asked her to please not call me Bessie but she insisted that it was so much prettier and that I just needed to get used to it.

For the next two months she tried to call me Bessie but I completely ignored her whenever she addressed me that way, even when I knew she really needed help with something. She would call my desk phone and say “hey Bessie” I would reply “you have the wrong number there’s no Bessie here” and hang up. She then tried to get some of the employees outside the office to start calling me Bessie, but I quickly shut that down. I usually finish my work early and help them with a lot of tedious little things that aren’t part of my job description and threaten to stop helping them unless they used my preferred nickname.

Friday she decided she was going to get me to respond to Bessie no matter what. We have an open office design but are at opposite ends. She started calling out Bessie in a singsong voice over and over again to try and annoy me enough to respond. Other coworkers got annoyed, most telling her to stop and one Lisa(43F) telling me to just let her call me Bessie already. I refused and she kept calling out Bessie louder and louder, until Dave barged in. He’d been on a conference call with an important client and could hear her yelling from his office down the hall. He told her to be quiet and that if she called me Bessie one more time, he’d write her up and dock her pay.

Later, Megan cornered me in the break room, called me an AH for getting her in trouble and called me Bessie again for good measure just as Dave was walking in to heat up his lunch. He gave her a stern look and said “I warned you.” Then he walked to HR to have her written up. Lisa is saying I’m the AH for never helping Megan and that, if I had been nicer or hadn’t fought her so hard on the nickname, she probably would have given up on it a while ago but because I made such a big deal out of it, it became a challenge. So reddit, AITA?

poor Mnemosyne

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Mx. posted:

poor Mnemosyne

Bessie is also a common name for a cow so I bet there’s another reason she’s calling her that. (Hint: Megan is a Bessie.)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mx. posted:

poor Mnemosyne

This one’s refreshing because not only does OP have a spine but the co-owner doesn’t engage in the expected nepotism.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Mx. posted:

poor Mnemosyne

Megan is just a lovely little bully.
ed: more obscure goddesses than I realized.
https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net/goddesses/

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Feb 27, 2022

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I like this.

"I'm Polyhymnia, but you can call me Hymen!"
"I'd rather call you Polly. Polly want a cracker?"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I accidentally gave a co-worker a nickname that started sticking and now I actively call her the full name because I can tell she hates it and thinks I did it as a weird power play.

You never press on a nickname unless you're being a lovely little bully.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.

Quackles posted:

AITA for "threatening" my cat?

I talk poo poo to my cat constantly, but she's deaf so it's ok.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

OP: I’m Aphrodite but you can call me Ditey
Megan: Oh AaApPpHhHrRrOoOo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Clytemnestra, wants to be called Esther but gets called Clyt instead

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

The Maroon Hawk posted:

I seem to recall the person reporting the OP in that one also having some relevant childhood trauma from their grandma or someone cooking their pet rabbit into a stew and only telling them after they'd consumed it all

I thought that story came from a goon? I wanna say Cowslips, but maybe that's the Watership Down av?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for getting my friend’s son sick and not paying his medical bill?

quote:

My friend and her son came over for a visit and we left her son inside when we went to see the new fence my husband worked on. Her son sneaked into my fridge and took out a bunch of brownies which contains weed. I infuse them for myself from weed I legally buy (I have a chronic pain) and they were leftovers from the previous day. He ate 2 but we didn’t notice until he started to act weird and admitted he ate the brownies from my fridge. My friend freaked out and thought he dying and when I told her it was weed but she refused to believe me and called the ambulance despite me offering to drive him to the hospital. The paramedics checked him over and told her they could bring him to the hospital but he would recover by himself at home. She took him home rather than rather than go to the hospital and it’s been a few week but has since sent me a bill for $235.00 claiming I poisoned her son and I should at least pay for the ambulance. I’ll admit the fridge was probably too temping but her son is 10 and I’m surprised a 10 year old would just eat stuff from people’s fridges without asking. I called her up and told her I couldn’t afford to pay it and also that so told her it was legal weed and we could have drove him to the hospital without an ambulance. She said she can’t pay it either and because it’s my weed I should pay for it.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I had a friend whose parents cooked her pet duck, but as it transpired, she just thought it was a pet duck and it had been bought to be eaten.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Rare case of both sides Not The Ambulance.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Evil Willow posted:

Adoptive mum said no to being in the bridal party, not the current wife.

You're right. There's enough moms in that story I got confused.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

limp_cheese posted:

You're right. There's enough moms in that story I got confused.

Just not the Mom Dad wants.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Mx. posted:

poor Mnemosyne

I worked at a place once where a cowoker 'misheard' my name and then kept calling me by that name after I corrected her several times. It's such a classic bully-power-move that happens in a lot of workplaces.

In my case I let it slide and just started answering when she called me by the 'misheard' name because my cowoker was a middle aged black lady and I was a white teenager working under her in a lovely service industry job, and I figured if she got off over having that smidge of power over me then whatever. No skin off my nose.

Also I'm one of those people who just quietly avoids conflict when I can, like maybe the majority of people, though I'm realizing more and more that it's people like me that enable these obnoxious bullies and narcissists, and the more people who stand up and say "Nope, you'll call me by my loving name and I won't answer to anything else" the better.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There was somebody in grad school who kept mispronouncing my name and I figured maybe it's an accent thing until he read it written down and apologized profusely.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for getting my friend’s son sick and not paying his medical bill?

My friend and her son came over for a visit and we left her son inside when we went to see the new fence my husband worked on. Her son sneaked into my fridge and took out a bunch of brownies which contains weed. I infuse them for myself from weed I legally buy (I have a chronic pain) and they were leftovers from the previous day. He ate 2 but we didn’t notice until he started to act weird and admitted he ate the brownies from my fridge. My friend freaked out and thought he dying and when I told her it was weed but she refused to believe me and called the ambulance despite me offering to drive him to the hospital. The paramedics checked him over and told her they could bring him to the hospital but he would recover by himself at home. She took him home rather than rather than go to the hospital and it’s been a few week but has since sent me a bill for $235.00 claiming I poisoned her son and I should at least pay for the ambulance. I’ll admit the fridge was probably too temping but her son is 10 and I’m surprised a 10 year old would just eat stuff from people’s fridges without asking. I called her up and told her I couldn’t afford to pay it and also that so told her it was legal weed and we could have drove him to the hospital without an ambulance. She said she can’t pay it either and because it’s my weed I should pay for it.

Bill the friend for the weed.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Food thieves deserve nothing but their diarrhea, spicy mouths, or unexpected trips.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hell, the friend should be paying OP. Now her son is not gonna try weed any time soon.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Baronjutter posted:

Food thieves deserve nothing but their diarrhea, spicy mouths, or unexpected trips.

I don’t steal food but sign me up for all 3.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Neito posted:

I thought that story came from a goon? I wanna say Cowslips, but maybe that's the Watership Down av?

Close but no, my grandma was the one who told a 9 year old me, after I saw a horrible dog mating go bloody and wrong, that that was how ALL sex was, and all the screaming and blood was what happened during and after sex. Who would have thought a small dog could have bled that much?

In hindsight it probably would have been better had she just killed and cooked me a pet because I could have just hated her instead of being traumatized for years. I never told my parents, mostly because my dad was well known for being a horrible grouch, and would blame my mom for not putting out. This led to more than a few sleepless nights because I was terrified I'd hear my mom screaming like the dog had.

AITA for telling people why a coworker of mine got fired?

quote:

Super straight forward. I worked with a guy who I'll call Jack. Jack had a bit of a cocaine habit. I work in an industry where cocaine use is quite common and accepted.

Anyways, Jack got fired recently. He told everyone he quit, whatever. However, Jack did not quit, he was caught stealing money from the cash register to support his habit, which turned out to be an addiction.

When people ask me why he left, I tell them the truth, and that I think he's still a good person, he just made a mistake and needs help. Now he's angry at me for turning people against. AITA?

Is...is that industry making cocaine?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Restaurant worker, medicine, finance, politics, pro wrestling, take your pick.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Restaurant worker, medicine, finance, politics, pro wrestling, take your pick.

Don't forget law!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

realty too but law and realty are less likely to have a cash register

Barudak
May 7, 2007

sullat posted:

I had a friend whose parents cooked her pet duck, but as it transpired, she just thought it was a pet duck and it had been bought to be eaten.

Its way more common than you think. I know people in real life and was watching a youtube video literally last week where someone in it mentioned off hand their parents did that to them.

It strikes me as a weird performative thing that made more sense when everyone lived on a farm, and was then passed down senselessly by people traumatized by it and unwilling or unable to understand not doing that to their kids even though it serves no purpose

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

My boyfriend didn’t like onions when we got together, but I put onions in everything, and I wasn’t giving them up. I gently introduced him to onion dishes, with onions diced up very small, or cooked just the right amount so as to be soft but not burnt. I taught him about different colored onions, onion powder, little green onions, scallions. Three years later, lots of work on my part, he finally accepts onions.

He dumped me two weeks ago.

Keep the onions. Toss the guy.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mx. posted:

realty too but law and realty are less likely to have a cash register

Ah, fair. Ghost Leviathan's first guess, then.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Vim Fuego posted:

quote:

Keep the onions. Toss the guy.

Agreed. To be honest I don't think I've ever loved anyone enough to give up onions or garlic for them.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

8one6 posted:

Agreed. To be honest I don't think I've ever loved anyone enough to give up onions or garlic for them.

My guts are broken and I had to go FODMAP diet which involves no onion or garlic and my russian wife has gone along with it. That is true love.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

edgeman83 posted:

Edit: Mixed up tabs of same titled Reddit posts. Juiciness wasn't nearly as high.

As penitence:
AITA for threatening to throw my son out of the house for lying about taking my other son to the doctor?

Yeah OP, when hearing your son took your other son to the doctor for an inconsequential diaper rash or uti you threatened to make him homeless; I'm sure you would've reacted normally and taken your son to he doctor. :jerkbag:

Neito posted:

Probably just thinking of that from the av/name, but "parent made me eat my pet" is a pretty common abuse story, so it's possible another goon posted about it here and/or one of the reddit posts of ages past talked about it.

AITA for eating a handful of peanut m&ms before bed each night even though my husband has misophonia?

quote:

My husband (32m) and I (29F) have been together for 10 years. I have always known he has misophonia and I’ve been very accommodating because I believe him when he says he can’t help it.

I have one dessert I like. Peanut m&ms. And I like to eat them in bed right as I’m getting comfy for the night. I’m not an obnoxious eater, I eat with my mouth closed but for misophina crunching is crunching… ig… He normally would wear his headphones or I’ll eat them before he comes to bed. But sometimes he’s there, no headphones, and I’ll eat them without worrying about his comfort. It’s my one dessert that I eat every night, he knows this, and I’m extra accommodating in our life and let him protect his hearing even though I wish we could share more meals together as a family without headphones . But this is him.

So tonight, I’m eating my peanut m&ms and he isn’t wearing headphones, but instead of helping himself he gives me an attitude about my eating. I think it’s hosed up personally, like get over it. You know I do this… idk. Am I losing my sensitivity to him after 10 years of accommodating this? (I’d like to hear from people with misophonia, because I personally love the sound of eating so it’s hard for me to grasp his discomfort)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

AITA for eating a handful of peanut m&ms before bed each night even though my husband has misophonia?

Eating in bed is bad enough.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

That can't be good for her teeth, eating candy before sleeping.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Invisible Clergy posted:

I had no idea that the demons who torture the damned got to post about it too

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

Husband is obsessed with Ukraine news and is ignoring everything else in his life (including his kids) because of it

quote:

Yeah, pretty much what the title suggests. My husband is always big into this type of stuff and lately he cannot put his phone down; constantly checking Twitter and various news websites. It’s especially irritating because he is ignoring our kids. We have a toddler and a four month old baby and lately he stays up past 3am checking the news. That’s fine and all, he’s not bothering anyone and the kids are asleep. However, I’ve noticed that he would ignore the baby crying at night because he’s too hooked on his phone. More than a few times I woke up to the baby screaming, had to get out of the bed to soothe him, while he just sits there reading news, PRETENDING he couldn’t hear anything. This is unacceptable. He’s wide awake, fully clothed, yet he cannot put his drat phone down for 30 seconds. He just lets the baby scream until I wake up from sleep. I’m kinda done with this marriage tbh. It’s very irritating that he values reading news over spending time with his family. What do I do? I can’t stand this. He does JACK poo poo around the house too. I’m seriously considering divorce at this point. He’s just a dead body holding a phone and he contributes nothing to this family. I’m solo parenting all the time and he does not help

One time he literally fell HARD on the sidewalk eating poo poo nearly broke his ankle because he’s looking at phone reading news, yet he’s not fazed. This is how hooked he is.

TLDR: husband is obsessing over news on Russian-Ukraine and is ignoring everyone including his kids because he literally cannot put his phone down

possibly reddit's dumbest commentor posted:

We’re all pretty engaged. For many of us, it’s the first time in our lives we’ve seen a war break out. It’s also the first war to be basically live streamed in real time. It’s horrible and terrifying and sad, but also just plain engaging. Especially if you’re interested in politics and history or if you’re eligible for the draft in the event your country gets involved.

Have some empathy for the guy. I’d imagine like many men, husbands, and fathers he’s having so many what-if thoughts all day long. Honesty I’m surprised you’re treating something so important as an annoying distraction. It’s a potential world war, not a ball game.

OP posted:

So it’s acceptable that he ignores his own children? Mind you he is not having what if thoughts or anything sentimental at all, he just enjoys seeing the conflicts and war unfold. Btw he’s also pro Russian. I think this pretty much debunks your whole theory of him being sympathetic

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

8one6 posted:

I learned to not teach SO's to like raw oysters. It'll only result in you having to share your oysters.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Mx. posted:

quote:

Btw he’s also pro Russian

:guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Im imagining the wife waking up to shake ants out of her ear canals and nostrils. Who the gently caress eats in bed? Thats how you get ants.